From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Subject: Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary?
Date: 26 Jul 2000 06:45:20 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:38:40 -0500,
Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Implication being that I detach myself from society?  I detach myself
>from government.

Government is an undesirable but essential part of society. You are
also a part of society. Thus, you can never be completely disconnected
from Government. You pay taxes, file a return every year, and observe
other laws, don't you?? The things that Government does affects you in
a multitude of ways, some good, some not so good.

>I find that people
>actively involved in anything (even the OS wars) see anyone that doesn't
>consider their particular area of interest of the utmost importance in
>their life to be completely beyond contempt.  It's really quite humorous
>if you see beyond the attack in it.  I don't like the fact that humans
>see things only from their little corner of the world, but again, trying
>to change that is a losing battle.

Both you and I are like that as well, aren't we?? So let's try to
change that quality in ourselves first. Then and only then might we
ever understand others enough to help them change it in themselves.

>I recently married.  My wife has a cousin that truly is a sociopath.
>She never (and I mean *never*) leaves her house.  She has groceries
>devlivered.  She leaves money in an envelope for the guy, takes the food
>in after he has left, and never interacts with anyone she can avoid.
>She keeps all shades closed, and all doors locked.  I don't know how she
>earns money (never got that far in the conversations we've had about
>her), but I know she will not leave the house.  She won't allow visitors
>into the house, she won't answer the phone (in fact, only uses it to
>*order* things), and she refuses any human interaction.  All she does
>(from what I've been told) is read books and magazines of fiction that
>she orders from catalogs she recieves.  This to me is a someone that
>detached herself from society: a sociopath.

Your overly shy cousin in law is much less a threat to society than
some of the gun toting self-righteous idiots down here in
Texas. Shooting people (or for that matter even thinking of shooting
people) is antisocial too, isn't it?? Sociopathic natures occur in
different degrees of severity, and manifest themselves in very
different ways.

>I go to work every day.  I do my job.  I interact with people in real
>life, over the phone, through email, and any way I can.  I deal with
>people every day, constantly.  I do what I can to improve the little bit
>of the world I interact with.  I don't worry about the government
>because, as I said, I feel it's pointless.  Now, I don't see that making
>me a sociopath.  Maybe you still do?

I originally accused another poster of being sociopathic. You jumped
to his defense and I inadvertantly made that accusation about you. In
my previous post I withdrew that accusation and apologized. Did you
miss that?? Or are you having a hard time with forgiveness (another
human weakness)??

>> >Humanity on the whole has a swelled head.
>>
>> Your damned right about that, Nathaniel. Not just the assholes in our
>> Government, but Humanity on the whole;-)
>
><philosophical rant>
>Absolutely.  You know, I don't like admitting it very often, but
>sometimes I just wish there would be a huge global catastrophe that
>would make people realize that we aren't in control of *everything* and
>that humanity is not its own god.  In other words: Armegedon.

Self destruction will only lead only to more shame. And as they
say...suicide is the cowards way out.

>I know it
>sounds ugly,

Not as ugly as thousands of years of long drawn out suffering in the
form of overpopulation and poverty and disease and strife and
environmental devastation. That would be natures way of telling us we
need to get our shit together, instead of a self-inflicted solution like
Armegedon

>but I feel like humanity is on the brink of being too cocky
>to continue.  We already feel we know it all.  We already feel like we
>control the universes destiny.  While there are a select few of us that
>question things, and try to move science forward, most are just content
>with where we are.  I don't think we are in the best position for us (on
>the whole) right now.  I think we need to keep moving forward.  We need
>to keep questioning.  We need to keep learning.  You shut off that
>little bit of your mind that allows you to *input* data, and your life
>just as well be over.  If humanity keeps trying to stop science (look at
>things like the space program to see what I mean)

?? How is the space program trying to stop science?

>, keeps trying to shut
>up literary writers (they don't *show me the money* quite like
>pop-culturists), keeps trying to stop positive images (the news makes
>better ratings with *shock-rock* style cultural depictions), and keeps
>trying to enhance our view of ourselves as a negative race (again, the
>media focus on the shocking, negative, deadly, and evil underbelly of
>society), we will stop moving forward.

I think it goes much deeper than that . We have lost our way with
nature i.e. universe. We are not in any harmony with nature or
with the universe. Instead, we think the universe is here for us to
exploit to our own end. We forget that the dirt and soil of mother
Earth is what our flesh is made of. We forget that we are all
connected, both to one another and to nature. We are in effect an
"eco-pathic" species.

>It isn't just a government issue.  It's a humanity issue.

Yes, it is a humanity issue. Government is one part of that issue. I
don't see how six billion people can learn to live together on this
planet with at least some leadership. So there needs to be
Government. You can't eliminate it from the equation, though there are
other, maybe larger, parts of the equation too.

>I focus on
>areas other than government, because I feel the change we really need
>(which would lead to a government shake-up) need to come from somewhere
>deep in the heart of humanity on the whole.  There is my proposed
>solution (and why I don't consider myself a sociopath).  I push people
>to question, and to find the answer to their question.  I push myself to
>learn more, to write more, to create the music that I love.  Now, I'm
>not stupid or egotistical enough to consider myself to be the
>*phase-shift* incarnate that humanity needs.  But if I touch enough
>lives in just the right way, maybe one or more of the people I reach
>will be a part of it.  It's a lot deeper than just government.  And I
>feel starting with the government isn't the right tactic (maybe it is
>for you, but not for me).

That's fine for you. I choose to address the issues on multiple
fronts.

>We have to start somwhere else.  We have to
>start with something deeper, and more integral to humanity.
>People as individuals still cherish the idea of the human spirit, the
>idea that we each have a soul.  My number one question in life, and the
>one I keep trying to find an answer to is this: What happened to the
>idea of humanity's spirit?  Where is humanity's soul?  Where ever we
>misplaced it, we must find it again.

About all that the religions agree on in regards to spirituality is
that we've lost our way. Other than that, they are too busy killing one
another over how we are supposed to find our way back.

>And that isn't going to happen
>because of a single person.  It isn't going to happen through a
>government shake-up.  It's going to happen when enough people stop, look
>around them, and ask: What are we?  Why are we here?  What will become
>of us (as a race)?  Where do we go from here?

These will certainly be good questions for the world to ask. But
consider the stubborness of people, and especially the stubborness
of the world religions. It will probably take a few thousands years of
overpopulation and poverty and disease and strife and environmental
devastation, before the majority of people ready to ask these
questions in a open minded way and be willing to find out who they
really are. For the short term, though, I'll settle for a government
shake up. It would be fun to watch, and surely wouldn't hurt the
situation!

>Yeah, I know, high-minded ideas.  And not something I can implement
>myself.  But I sure as hell am going to try to at least get people
>thinking about it when I can.

Ah...but be careful. Some people may be thinking much deeper than you
and just not telling you because they don't think you will
understand. Stay open minded.

>That's my contribution to society.
>That's my attempt to break through.  Hopefully it will mean something.
>But I do know that it gives me a sense of purpose.  It gives me the
>feeling that I am accomplishing something.  And that is one thing that
>is missing in too many lives right now.  It was missing in mine for
>years.  As a teen I began to see these questions.  In my early twenties,
>I began to put these questions forward in my mind.  Today, I'm still
>asking them, but I'm asking them out-loud more and more.

I grew up in a house with no religion, being told by my parents to
believe whatever I wish. I am quite greatful for that. I caused me to
question at a very young age...as in like pre-school. Other kids told
me about church. I threw that idea out right away. By the time I was a
teenager, I was questioning things extremely aggressively. At the age
of twenty, I totally out of control and ready to kill myself just to
seek an answer. Then, when I had least expected, my answer came, and
for the first time in my life I felt connected. I have been living
for that connectedness ever since. Call me a freak if you wish.

>Maybe someday
>I'll find my answer.

You will.

></philosophical rant>
>
>OK, waaaaaaay off topic, and perhaps not relevant completely to the
>discussion at hand.  But you said that people that bitch and moan
>without offering any possible solution are the ones you consider
>sociopaths.  My solution isn't easy, but it isn't an easy problem.

I never asked for any easy solution. If you'd had easy solution, I
probably would have laughed at you;-)

>It
>goes way beyond government in my opinion.

It does. But government is still part of it. You can't exclude it.

>And I feel we need to start
>somewhere other than government.  That's my view.

And in my veiw, we need to address the problems on all
fronts...because all things in the nature are connected.

>Perhaps not the
>happiest view in the world.  But putting up the happy face when you see
>things suck isn't going to change it.  Questioning why it sucks, and
>trying to fix it may....

And maybe part of the reason why it sucks is because of something in the
eye of the beholder. If so, you need to fix that first.

Perry

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Dream World of Linux Zealots
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:19:28 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>    [...]
> >> Maybe you're the exception here, Aaron.
> >
> >Are you saying that most people place political ideology ahead of
> >scientific research?  In that case, maybe I am the exception.
>
> No, most people use the results of whatever scientific research is handy
> to support their political ideology.  Like rampant profiteering, just
> because its common doesn't mean its good.

Precisely.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: 26 Jul 2000 06:46:13 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:47:13 -0500,
Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Society does not equal government.

Government is an undesirable but essential part of society. You are
also a part of society. Thus, you can never be completely disconnected
from Government. You pay taxes, file a return every year, and observe
other laws, don't you?? The things that Government does affects you in
a multitude of ways, some good, some not so good.

>A revolutionary is not a
>sociopath.

And so how are you revolutionary??

Perry

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows98
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:20:35 -0400

Spud wrote:

> [snips]
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> statement
> > > that is
> > >
> > > Fine; take it up with them; it's hardly a position I espouse.
> >
> > Yet you keep proclaiming it.
>
> Really?  Where?  Do please feel free to point it out.  I can't recall
> having _ever_ made such a statement.
>
> > Why is that?
>
> Because you're smoking too much loco weed?
>
> > >                                    Is it that easy?  Perhaps,
> perhaps
> > > not.  Is that relevant?  I doubt it; ask your typical home PC user
> how
> > > many times a week they have a need to do this.
> >
> > You're failure to see the utility of such methods indicates a
> > lack of experience.
>
> Indeed; I've only been in the computing field 21 years.

Time to come in out of the field.
It seems that rainwater has saturated your brain.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: From a Grove of Birch Trees It Came...
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:54:26 -0400

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:30:10 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>>
>> >Because it's a violation of MY First Amendment rights.
>>
>> How so ?
>
>Campaigning depends upon communications....ie. advertising, etc.
>I have a right to assist any candidate I choose to buy as much
>advertisements and other publicity and communications has he/she
>sees fit.
>
>Any restriction on that right moves the balance of power into the
>hands of newspaper editors.

Are you aware, Aaron, that until the time you and I were in high school,
no corporation was *ever* allowed to contribute in *any* way to a
politician's war chest?  And that since then, the contributions provided
by corporations have greatly out-massed the contributions from citizens
like ourselves, who should rightfully have more of a voice in government
by dint of our First Amendment rights than any "artificial person"?

Manager of Research & Educational Services
Managed Services
ELTRAX Technology Services Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-[Opinions expressed are my own; everyone else, including
   my employer, has to pay for them, subject to
    applicable licensing agreement]-

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I had a reality check today :(
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:10:21 -0500

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> <nonsense snipped>
>
> Tell us when you wake up from your dream.

Tell us when you decide to have a rational argument instead of always trying
to change the subject.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Marketplace Mysteries (Re: Hardware: budget Linux box?)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:34:42 -0400

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" wrote:

> >> BTW, which is the better buy:  a $50.00 K6-3 350 cpu, or a $50.00 K6-2
> >> 500?
> >
> >Depends.  They require different motherboards..
> >

> No.  Both are theoretically Socket 7 (I'm assuming it's not some special mobile
> version).

In that case, it depends on

1) what will be the primary use of the system
         (real-time 3-D graphics: yes/no?)

2) What are the onboard-cache sizes of the two chips?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Hardware: ideal budget Linux box? (Re: I'm Ready!  I'm ready!  I'm
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:35:43 -0400

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Marada C. Shradrakaii ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : Same story as with hard drives.  Try to get someone who will stand behind it
> : (all of mine have six-month halflives)
>
> I have much better luck with hard drives, both IDE and SCSI. I've had hard
> drives last for years, even with the computer on 24/7. I've even had SCSI hard

Actually 24x7 operation promotes longevity.  Power surges during
on/off switches are hard on motors, etc.

> drives run Linux on unsupported SCSI cards. I've also got both SCSI and IDE
> hard drives running in the same computer. The latter can be an interesting
> challenge to do in DOS but far from impossible.
>
> --
> DANGER: Charles Darwin is the lifeguard of the gene pool. Swim at own risk.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: No wonder Hackers love Linux
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:37:18 -0400

Davorin Mestric wrote:

> > That is NOT a problem with linux,
>
> you see, linux is perfect.

No.. the problem is clearly a configuration problem on ONE distribution.
The original poster document this himself.

Now, run along and play in the traffic.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Mandrake not Linux?
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 02:40:58 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "abraxas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8lliij$1tvg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Mikey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Thus Sprake abraxas:

> specific

> headers
> change was

> > > Hmmm...  I have Mandrake 7.1 on my CTX laptop.  What sort of stuff does
> > > it break?  Where do I find out more about this?
> > >

> > Mostly "linuxy" source on compile.  Which is why there are mandrake
> specific
> > RPMs lying around everywhere; especially of software which depends on
> > classically mutilated kernel headers.
> >
> > The reason that no one ever cleaned them up is that legacy apps (and apps
> > developed on legacies) depend on them to function.  Mandrake has done an
> > excellent job of cleaning up alot of popular software (and creating mdk-
> > rpms), but IMHO, this action does not make mandrake linux, but a
> linux-like
> > OS.
>
> So if Linux is a UNIX-like OS (as it's frequently termed) and Mandrake is
> Linux-like then maybe we are making some progress away from that old dog,
> UNIX.  Face it -- it's the oldest technology around and takes by far the
> greatest amount of time to master.  I'm all for BeOS and Windows 2000.  New

No more than Linux, actually.

> kernels.  Good desktops.  Modern features.  There are some things that linux
> is better at and MacOS might be "friendlier" but the mainstream computer
> user needs to sit the fence.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.