From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:20:19 +0100

>> remember that post? Somehow you were comvinced that GIMP having stupid
>> defaults was somehow a fault of Linux. You also made many erroneous
>> claims in that thread before figuring out how the printer system
>> worked.
>
> Yes I remember it.
>
>> There wer lots of untrue and etc there.
>
> There was a lot of discussion. I posted no untruths there at all.
>
> Sorry, but no cigar.

You claimed that the GIMP problem was a Linux problem. Whilst not a lie,
it was definitely an untruth, because it is simply incorrect.

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: "jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.men
Subject: Re: Women's rights and responsibilities.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:31:28 -0700

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >    Aaron> The mother has custody.  And in most states, the mother is
allowed
> >    Aaron> to DENY the collection of any DNA sample from the child, so
any
> >    Aaron> challenge to paternity becomes significantly more expensive.
> >
> >    >> If the mother is claiming paternity, and the alleged father denies
it,
> >    >> the mother has to draw the DNA to prove paternity.
> >
> >    Aaron> Wrong.  All she has to do is pull out the Birth Certificate,
which has
> >    Aaron> (surprise, fucking surprise) the name of the man that she told
to the
> >    Aaron> doctor in the deliver room.
> >
> > Nope, she has the burden of proof if he disputes the paternity (if
> > he originally signed the birth certificate, you might have a point).
>

> In a fair world, that would be the case.  In reality, no such burden
exists--
> Your scenario occurs ONLY in those situations where the woman tries to
> change the child's legal father.
>

> >    >> I would like to see a singe cite for the mother being able to
asset disputed
> >    >> paternity with no recourse for the alleged father.
> >
> >    Aaron> She doesn't need to take any legal action to do it, therefore,
you are
> >    Aaron> asking me to prove a negative.
> >
> > I am asking you to back your words.  I read about disputed paternity
cases
> > a few times a year in the paper, there is always blood testing,
generally
> > DNA these days.
>
> Only if the mother allows it.  Many refuse.
> Why is that?

She may feel it violates the child's privacy.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:20:28 -0400

Nick Maclaren wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Paul Repacholi wrote:

> >> Huh, IP can seldom cope on a GOOD day. The idea of an IP based network
> >> staying up under severe stress is just too funny to be funny.
> >
> >That's a BANDWIDTH issue, which has nothing to do with robustness.
> >
> >Hope that helps, feeble-minded twit.
>
> Hmm.  If the bandwidth limitations of IP were all the problems it
> caused me, I would have a much easier life.  If you look into its
> design - I won't say more carefully, because a quick glance will
> do - you will see that it is the antithesis of robust.

I said "GET IT UP AND RUNNING"  ***NOT*** OPTIMIZE.

For a faculty member at a University in an English speaking country,
you sure have a difficult time understanding the goddamned language.

> The fact that it was designed to work on unreliable transport media
> doesn't mean that it delivers a reliable result, whatever sense
> you apply to reliable.  TCP is nominally a 'reliable' channel, but
> is prone to failure saying just "shan't", jamming at several levels,
> and so on.

You are a fucking arrogant piece of shit, who's arguing a point
that NOBODY has claimed.

Get over it, dirtbag.

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren,
> University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
> Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bye all. Wow the Linux scene has changed.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:21:40 -0700

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> MH wrote:
> >
> > I thought 'real men' had no reason to use windows anything? Isn't that
> > 90% of COLA?
> > Geez ..make up your minds people. You bash Aaron for weeks over his
> > client header ...
> >

> Well, there are actually people here who either ran wintendo before
> switching, or who have a network even at home. I for example have a
> network consisting of 2 linux-boxes, 1 OS/2-Warp-box, 1 computer with
> winNT4, 1 Laptop with Win98 and the 2 computers of the kids, also running
> windows. There is nothing wrong in running windows also, what is wrong is
> the way Aaron is lying to us, pretending he runs something else.
> I´m willing to believe that he has a linux-box also, but unless he
> *proves* his outlandish claims *and* cares to explain in what way his
> security is enhanced by his childish ploy (if it were true, which I don´t
> believe) Aaron is simply a lying piece of goat-shit to me.

Ummm.. Aaron isn't lying about what he has done in his career.  The
claims may seem outlandish, but take a closer look at what he has said.
Some tolerance on statements is needed, as if we all are perfect in our
statements.  Haven't you seen his post "No headers"???  I don't know how
to do that and he does... and I'm a lot older than he is!
Gruff people aren't what you think they are.  Gruff people are your best
friends and a good ally.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron Kookis:  over 340 posts in 6 days!
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:21:11 -0400

The, Mudshark wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:18:47 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Is there anyone else in the world so full of himself, so sure of
> >himself, so in love with the sound of his own voice, so devoid of a
> >life that on some days he'll post well over 50 obnoxious,
> >argumentative messages into a single newsgroup?
> >

> Maybe Aaron administers Linux machines. They run so smoothly and
> efficiently that they require minimal user intervention and he has a
> lot of time on his hands.

Damn straight

> No, I am not being flippant.
>
> Mudshark

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Importance, or lack, of Marketshare?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:24:45 +1200

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9c8ve5$t0q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Also take in account that the average salary in New Zealand is $22,000,
> and
>> most people have to prioritise, either by a ligit copy of Windows at $300
>> or pay the rent.  Most people would rather pay the rent.  Hence Microsoft
>> is the cause of the digital divide.  Go into a store, take $300 off the
>> price of the computer and you have the price of the computer without
>> Windows, and in some cases, it could mean the difference of a computer
>> being sold or not.
>
> The OEM does not pay $300 (which I assume to be about $100 US) for
> Windows. They pay about US $45 in most cases.

BS, I am a reseller and the costs are as follows:

OEM Windows Millennium Edition (3 Pack) $645.00
OEM Windows Millennium Edition (30 Pack) $6,350.00
OEM Windows 98 Second Edition (3 Pack) $660.00
OEM Windows 98 Second Edition (30 Pack) $6,400.00
OEM Windows 2000 Professional (3 Pack) $945.00
OEM Windows 2000 Professional (30 Pack) $8,800.00
OEM Windows 95 (3 Pack) $649.00
OEM Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (3-Pack) $1,150.00
OEM MS-Dos 6.22 (3 Pack) $235.00

Approx $220 per-copy of Windows ME.
Approx $310 per-copy of Windows 2000 Professional

ALso, I didn't specify what version of Windows either, hence, I could
actually be refering to Windows 2000 Pro.

Matthew Gardiner
--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself

Running SuSE Linux 7.1

The best of German engineering, now in software form

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:23:41 -0400

Peter da Silva wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > With as much influence as Microsoft already had at the time, and the
> > fact that porting network stacks is trivial, the reason that Mafia$oft
> > never released this "superior" network protocol is ....what, exactly?
>
> What exactly are you talking about? OpenNET was commercially available
> for Xenix, MS-DOS, VMS, RMX, and System V. Lan Manager is still available,
> and the related protocols (CIFS, Windows Networking) are in wide use.

And if it's of such high quality, then why is it used .... NOWHERE...

> --
>  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
>   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
>                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>          Disclaimer: WWFD?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re:
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:24:54 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:09:35 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> [snip for brevity]
>
> >Are you aware that, according to feminist doctrine, ***ALL*** sex
> >between men and women (including consensual sex between a husband
> >and wife) is rape.
>
> *Some* feminist doctrine.  I rather doubt all feminists think this.

The ones who influence legislation are the only ones that matter.

Hope that helps.

> (Of course, one might make the case that sex without proper foreplay
> is a form of rape, or at least uncomfortable.)

No...Dworkin is talking about ALL heterosexual sex...even if the
Woman climbed on the guy in his sleep...Dworkin maintains that he
raped her.

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       10d:06h:26m actually running Linux.
>                     A man and his roomie walked into a bar...."Ouch", they said.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 05:25:44 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > Read Steven Levy's HACKERS, and get back to us.
> >
> > The idea of giving your code away, and letting others USE AND MODIFY IT,
> > with the understanding that the derivative code should be just as
> > available as the baseline code has ALWAYS been foreign to the mainline
> > of the commerical computing industry.
> >
> > It's only really popular with students, academics, and high-end
> > intellectuals
> > (and a few pseudo-intellectuals).  Oh well.  Hopefully, this is
> > changing.
> > (finally).
> >
> > I don't know why people consider programming to be fundamentally
> > different from, say, any other information regarding procedures, like,
> > say, the rules to the game of Baseball or Hockey.
>
> You're not going back far enough. Origionally, computers were
> fantastically expensive and had hardly any memory or CPU power, so any
> software was very small and simple. As a result, the software was
> worthless compared to the hardware, so noone tried making money out of it
> (no money in it in the firstplace). When computer power increased and it
> became a bigger and bigger job to write software and when the assosciated
> cose rose in relation to the cost of computers, people started seeing
> money in software and then closed source was born.

Ok, that makes sense.

> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I Love the BSA
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:27:07 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Glitch wrote:
>

> >> Don't we all love the BSA.  I get great excitement dobbing in
> >> Win-advocates who use pirated software, already dobbed in 4, great fun.
> >> When asked by BSA what I ran, I reply, "Linux of course!".
> >>
> >> As for Linux in the third world, Linux will bridge the gap between the
> >> developing and developed countries.  Compare that to Windows that wants
> >> to divide and ensure that those in poor countries don't get ahead. China
> >> are pushing Linux in a big way, imagine if 10% of the population that
> >> have PC's use Linux, that would equate to 120 million end users, not
> >> including government departments that would also use it as well.
> >>
> >> Windows = Keeping countries poor
> >> Linux = Helping countries progress forward
> >>

> > As long as the countries who are already ahead continue to move ahead
> > instead of being equal with the countries that are moving forward then it
> > will be okay, otherwise we start getting into Communism where everyone is
> > equal wrt how much money they have.
> >

> I don't mind helping countries/people with a hand-up, but not a hand out,
> like the welfare system.  With Linux, it allows countries to empower
> themselves to improve the situation without the undignified need to rush to
> the US for aid.  Linux will help countries help themselves.  It is also
> quite humorous to see how popular Linux has become in India. Microsoft has
> largely ignored it by not support the various Idian Languages. Linux
> however, can be localised by a local company/volunteers, thus, more people
> are introduced to Linux.  If this situation is duplicated around the world,
> the number of developers will steadily increase, and as a result, even more
> software will become available for the masses.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
> --
> Disclaimer:
>
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

I think you need to clarify 'handouts' vs. the truly needy.
I have several friends that have children in their 40's that are
disabled due to schizophrenia.  One was attending college and was a
straight A student.  Half way thru his 4 year degree he suffered from
schizophrenia... he started to hear voices that he had absolutely no
control over. Ruined his start... never had a chance to save or even
contribute to an insurance policy.  Last I heard, he was living in a
cardboard box behind a major brand store... they complained to the
police and had him put in jail.
He's now in prison for an illness that he could not control.

From: Tomaz Cedilnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:26:57 +0200

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> Your problem, not mine.  Personally, I'm not that fond of
> homosexuals (I'm quite het), but I'm not going to go after
> them with a shotgun either, as long as what they do
> doesn't scare off the horses.  After all, they're not pigeons,
> clay or otherwise.
>
> As for writing...?  I have no idea how homosexuals write.
> I know how you and Nomen Nescio write -- more or less.  (That's
> obviously by observation.)

I couldn't care less whether someone is a homosexual or not. As long as
they leave me alone in the sexual way when I don't want it - but this
applies to homosexual men and heterosexual women. As for homosexual
women and heterosexual men - their girlfriends are their private life
and doesn't affect me, same as for boyfriends of homosexual men and
heterosexual women.

In the discussions about computers I don't even care what sex others are
(as we are not talking about anatomy or relationships), like I don't ask
what colour your eyes or hair are or what blood type you are.

> I'm not really sure I care; I want to debate the advantages and
> disadvantages of Linux over Windows (and Windows over Linux; let's
> be fair, here), rather than commeting on someone's prosaic ability.

That's a very good idea :-)

Tom
--
  |\      _,,,,--,,_     Tomaz Cedilnik
 |,4-  ) ),,__ ,\ (  ;;    [EMAIL PROTECTED]