Linux-Advocacy Digest #127, Volume #28           Mon, 31 Jul 00 10:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Aaron Kulkis -- USELESS Idiot -- And His "Enemies" -was-  (Ed Cogburn)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Why Lycos Selected Microsoft and Intel ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Gnome or KDE (Victor Schneider, Ph. D.)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Changing LILO in Mandrake? (Kevin Croxen)
  Re: Linux, easy to use? (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Gnome or KDE (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: Anti-Linux Spammer Steve/Mike Forges His 31st Fake Name -was- Linux? You're
kidding right? Some kind of a joke? (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Anti-Linux Spammer Steve/Mike Forges His 31st Fake Name -was- Linux? You're
kidding right? Some kind of a joke? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action   (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary? (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action          (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Star Office to be open sourced (Bill Vermillion)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (Mats Olsson)
  Re: Aaron Kulkis -- USELESS Idiot -- And His "Enemies" -was- Another one of Lenin's
Useful Idiots denies reality (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (fungus)
  Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark (fungus)
  Re: Linux? You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke? (Mikey)
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? ("Christopher Smith")

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:50:19 -0400
From: Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: Aaron Kulkis -- USELESS Idiot -- And His "Enemies" -was-

>         "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Thieves are....and should be eradicated just like we do cockroaches.
>
> Quotes the whole article when replying to 2 lines!
>
> Incorporates the signature of the previous poster!
>
> And then adds his 29 line signature to his one line reply!
>
> States he is a 'Unix Systems Engineer'!
>
> The subject is quite close to the mark I think. You are completely ignorant of
> usenet netiquette. Ignorance can be corrected, stupidity is for life. Which
> one is it?

        Neither, he's doing it on purpose, he's trolling with his huge .sig.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Micro$oft retests TPC benchmark
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:41:52 GMT

Where do you guys get your information? FUD and Lies 'R US?

You know, it would help if you at least gave a tiny attempt
and learning the truth before you spout forth your lies and
BS.

Microsoft Announces Implementation of SAP's HR Solution
http://www.microsoft.com/PressPass/press/1997/May97/SAPHRpr.asp

Online Seminar: Microsoft's Implementation of SAP R/3
http://www.microsoft.com/Seminar/1033/19981123_ma_sap_r3implemnt/seminar.htm
(note slide 4: Replaced 12 expensive AS/400 and VAX machines with an
MS-platform based SAP R/3 solution)

Online Seminar: SQL Server 7: Live in MS's SAP R/3 Implementation
http://www.microsoft.com/Seminar/1033/19981124sqlconversion(hm)/seminar.htm

Microsoft Moves Its Enterprise Buisiness Operations
http://www.microsoft.com/SQL/productinfo/msft.htm
(note the last two paragraphs: SAP R/3 performance doubled)

Case Study: Pennzoil implements SAP R/3 on NT/SQL7
http://www.microsoft.com/Industry/erp/casestudies/penzoil.asp
(Pennzoil was so impressed, they did it too)

MS and SAP Launch Enterprise Computing Lab:
http://www.microsoft.com/PressPass/press/1999/Jul99/ForumPR.asp
SAP America noticed that many of their customers were implementing
SAP R/3 on NT/SQL7 and announced more support and an alliance with
MS

Go home, FUDster Troll.

-Chad

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:43:06 GMT

> If Microsoft has such a good platform, then why are the servers
> that come under the heaviest usage Unix machines?
>
> How come no Lose2000 machines?
>

> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now that's a compelling argument! Also completely false.

Many corporations use WinNT and now Win2000 for their largest, most
heaviest tasks.

Win2K can take the heat too. www.tpc.org

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Lycos Selected Microsoft and Intel
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:49:19 GMT

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> it's "web search" is handled either by inktomi or Fast

How do you know this?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Schneider, Ph. D.)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Gnome or KDE
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:55:48 GMT

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:36:45 -0500, OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am a newbie of Linux and using the SUSE linux 6.3.
>> I've tried different GUIs.
>> I think the Gnome and KDE are the best.
>> So, which one is better? Pls. suggest.
>
>Do you know that you can have 2 accounts, 1 running Gnome, and the other
>running KDE?  (I run Gnome on 1 account, Motif on another account, KDE
>on a 3rd account, and Afterstep on a 4th account....because I can.)  Set
>the accounts up, try both Desktops, and decide which you like.

X-Windows is nice to play around with, but it is much too easy to damage
Gnome with an "accidental" keystroke or mouse movement.  If Linux people
are really serious about competing, there would be a movement to write
setup programs that allow users to choose applications and menus without
the nuisance of direct editing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:58:14 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Chad Myers would say:
>Where do you guys get your information? FUD and Lies 'R US?

No, back in 1995, Microsoft was recruiting Basis consultants for
their R/3 implementation, and in the feeding frenzy at the time,
one of their hiring managers tried to recruit me.

>You know, it would help if you at least gave a tiny attempt
>and learning the truth before you spout forth your lies and
>BS.
>
>Microsoft Announces Implementation of SAP's HR Solution
>http://www.microsoft.com/PressPass/press/1997/May97/SAPHRpr.asp

Right.  1997.  After 1995.

>Online Seminar: Microsoft's Implementation of SAP R/3
>http://www.microsoft.com/Seminar/1033/19981123_ma_sap_r3implemnt/seminar.htm
>(note slide 4: Replaced 12 expensive AS/400 and VAX machines with an
>MS-platform based SAP R/3 solution)

Right.  1998.  Also after 1995.

>Online Seminar: SQL Server 7: Live in MS's SAP R/3 Implementation
>http://www.microsoft.com/Seminar/1033/19981124sqlconversion(hm)/seminar.htm

Hmm.  After 1995, no?

>Go home, FUDster Troll.

I _am_ home.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
"If Bill  Gates had  a dime  for every time  a Windows  box crashed...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Croxen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Changing LILO in Mandrake?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 12:32:45 GMT

I think what our semiliterate friend meant to say was
edit the lilo.config and then rerun lilo as root.

Now while I'm not familiar with Mandrake itself, I
can say that most distributions allow you to do this
operation from within their install routines; SuSE
for example has a "modify boot configuration" panel
in its YaST routine. Mandrake presumably has the
equivalent. Otherwise, just edit the lilo.config
manually to set the default OS and the delay, then
post editing run lilo to load your modified
configuration. As always when fiddling with Linux's
boot configuration, make sure you have a
bootdisk ready so that in the unlikely event something
goes wrong and your system fails to boot with its
modification, you can boot your installed system from the
bootdisk and take a second stab at editing the lilo.config

Cheers,

--Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Linux, easy to use?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 13:04:01 GMT

On 31 Jul 2000 07:45:26 -0500, Tim Palmer wrote:

>Or you can get Windo's and not half to ty[e annything at all.
]
I don't know what method you use to post your drivel, but may I suggest
that the fact that you're not using the keyboard may be part of the
problem ?

--
Donovan

alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.networking
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:10:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Schneider, Ph. D.) wrote in
<oHeh5.436$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>X-Windows is nice to play around with, but it is much too easy to damage
>Gnome with an "accidental" keystroke or mouse movement.  If Linux people
>are really serious about competing, there would be a movement to write
>setup programs that allow users to choose applications and menus without
>the nuisance of direct editing.

You mean like... kdm? Depending on distro of course, Mdk, for instance,
sets up kdm to let you choose any of several WMs when logging in.

And KDE, Gnome and Enlightenment all provide easy graphical interfaces for
setting up menus and starting apps without "direct editing".

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux Spammer Steve/Mike Forges His 31st Fake Name -was- Linux?
You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 13:12:02 GMT

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:39:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>THey should sterilize all faggots before they get a chance to enter
>the gene pool........

If I were you, I'd just shut up about improving the gene pool.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:19:12 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Donovan Rebbechi would say:
>On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:39:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>THey should sterilize all faggots before they get a chance to enter
>>the gene pool........
>
>If I were you, I'd just shut up about improving the gene pool.

[...and it's largely redundant anyways; it is a mite difficult for
homosexual activity to result in offspring...]

There's some clever saying about being in the shallow end of the
gene pool, but I can't fit it in the margin of this news post...
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
Why are men like blenders?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian
Subject: Re: Anti-Human Libertarians Oppose Microsoft Antitrust Action   (was:
Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh
Date: 31 Jul 2000 09:33:44 -0400

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:12:21 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:
>On 30 Jul 2000 16:23:19 GMT, Loren Petrich, in the persona of
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, brought forth the following words...:
>

>The H1-B system is evil, and should be abolished, there should be no
>restriction on coming here to work.

(1)   You're both wrong. H1-B employers are required by law to pay their
employers reasonably well. And typically, they do.

(2)   You can't get a H1B visa for exploitative, menial work. A H1B job
is required to require a university degree.

(3)   What do you think will happen to the unemployment numbers if
you\ let every Russian,Chinese and Indian who wants to go to the US
in ?  Practically all the university educated Chinese want out. My
g/f is Chinese and everyone she knows is out or trying to get out.

There need to be sane limits on
immigration, because you can only grow the
population so fast without making a dogs
breakfast of the economy.

The current US immigration policy permits a steady increase in population.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Am I the only one that finds this just a little scary?
Date: 31 Jul 2000 09:43:46 -0400

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:06:45 -0700, Jim Richardson wrote:

>How about the things that the universities are there for? like
>graduating students?

THere are a bunch of very good public universities in the US and a
bunch of lousy ones. Ditto with the private schools.

You may be interested to know that some countries, such as Australia, have
an education system dominated by public schools, and the quality of
education at the top schools there is as good as in the US.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 31 Jul 2000 09:51:18 -0400

On 30 Jul 2000 16:23:19 GMT, Loren Petrich wrote:

>       However, employment contracts can be turned into de facto
>slavery,

If you're talking about H1B's it's very well paid "slavery", in a skilled
profession that *requires* a University degree.

> and employers can threaten to deport H1-B employees

Oh, they can threaten all they like, but they don't have the authority to
deport anyone. In practice, once someone gets in to the US, the chances of
them ever getting out are extremely slim.

> who threaten
>to report that their employers have been acting like Lucy pulling the
>football away from Charlie Brown at the last minute.

How so ?

>       Or are promised streets paved with gold.

Oh, they have a fair idea what it's like, because they all no people
who "made it". BTW, if they are somehow being "deceived" about how good
it is, and they in fact p[refer where they came from, then why do so few
people go back ???

>>> Why do you feel it is necessary to lie about H1-B visas?
>>      Whoever posted it is either severely misinformed or is an extreme
>>nationalist who engages in class warfare rhetoric.
>
>       It's class warfare only when it's against society's legitinate
>rulers, business leaders, right?

Straw man.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.sys.sun.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Subject: Re: Star Office to be open sourced
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:23:52 GMT

In article <8lsh2m$fm0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Leslie Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Rich Teer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, T. Max Devlin wrote:

>>> How does SystemV relate to POSIX? And do any other SystemV
>>> Unixes have package handling similar to Solaris?
>>
>>I don't know the definitive answer to your other questions, but
>>to answer your last one: yes, pkg* is a standard part of SVR4 -
>>possibly earlier.

>There was a similar but not quite identical facility in SysVr3.

I first ran across it on the [then] new SysVr2 on an AT&T 3b2/310
back in 1986.   I think it was introduced with the SysV series -
which replaced the III.

--
Bill Vermillion   bv @ wjv.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mats Olsson)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 31 Jul 2000 13:52:52 GMT

In article <_9Vg5.1363$N5.68299@stones>,
Robert Moir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>[...]
>>
>> Microsoft is very well-known for following "the letter" of any
>> document, while completely mutilating the spirit of same.
>
>Then you or Fungus should have no problems posting a link to a unbiased
>report of what exactly the problem is supposed to be here (unbiased means
>from a reputable source, not another advocate whining on their personal
>website) should you?
>
>So perhaps you can either put up the link he asked for, or explain why
>neither of you can not do this? Because right now all I see is people
>behaving like schoolkids.... "please Miss, Microsoft broke the rules.. but I
>can't tell you how, they just did"

    http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_27.htm

    /Mats

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: Aaron Kulkis -- USELESS Idiot -- And His "Enemies" -was- Another one of
Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: 31 Jul 2000 09:54:44 -0400

On 30 Jul 2000 14:08:01 GMT, Mark S. Bilk wrote:

>Loren Petrich has been posting insightful, useful, and
>accurate information in Usenet for many years.  An examina-

Really ? He's been posting a bunch of unwarranted personal insults in this
thread ( at me as well as Kulkis ). So far, I've come under fire and derided
as an "economic loser" and taunted because I'm not a multi-millionaire.

For all his proclaimed egalitarianism, the guy is begining to strike me
as a patronising shit.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: fungus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:02:27 GMT

Mats Olsson wrote:

>     http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_27.htm

THAT was the link I was after...thanks!

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

------------------------------

From: fungus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:04:05 GMT

From: Mikey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux? You're kidding right? Some kind of a joke?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:09:39 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Linux just plain sucks big time and only the most dedicated nerd would
> be interested in it. Replacing Mac OS 9 with Linux is a travesty. What
> a loss of easy to use functions, all for the joy of running some 25
> year old operating system that hasn't made it in 25 years and won't
> like make it in the next 25 years. Eunuchs that is....
...ad nauseum

I don't read this as a Linux flame, I see it as some loser whose only
social interaction is trolling NGs & getting a rise out of the attention
he gets.  I can see him reloading NG after trolled NG going "Whoopie!
Someone payed attention to me!!".

--
Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:13:54 +1000

> Said Christopher Smith in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>    [...]
> >There is no such thing as a dishonest mistake.  You cannot tell a lie if
you
> >do not know the truth.
>
> I don't accept those two statements has being related by logic.  The
> second is correct, but has no bearing on the first, which is incorrect.

The bearing it has on the first is in defining the word "dishonest".

Again, you cannot make a dishonest mistake.  Being dishonest requires the
truth be known.

>    [...]
> >Accessible would mean "can be found easily".
>
> In a consumer market where convenience is a major selling point,
> accessible means "doesn't have to be looked for."  As if you've never
> read Jedi's sig.

I probably have, but I certainly don't remember it.  Since jedi resides in
my killfile, I also rarely read his posts.

And PCs sans-Windows could be located easily.  It required the enormously
mentally taxing task of opening a computer magazine.

Anyone dropping a few grand onto a purchase without doing basic research
deserves everything they get.

> >Only a small percentage might access the alternatives because only a
small
> >percentage might be *interested* in the alternatives.  Macintoshes are
just
> >as accessible as PCs, yet only a tiny percentage of people choose to
access
> >them.
>
> And the key to your position resolves to "might", and an argument of
> ignorance.

No, an argument of probability.

> Evidence indicates, quite strongly, that your theory of a
> competitive cause of Linux's unavailability in the consumer market is,
> at best, without merit.

Evidence indicates that even today, Linux is unpopular in the consumer
market.  This is despite the generational leap in interface and usability it
has made in just th last 12 to 18 months.

Evidence strongly suggests Linux was not available to the consumer market
because it was not in demand.