Linux-Advocacy Digest #127, Volume #35           Mon, 11 Jun 01 08:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("green")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? (mlw)
  Re: Test your Brain! (mlw)
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Laugh, it's hilarious. (drsquare)
  Re: Laugh, it's hilarious. (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (drsquare)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: Redhat video problems. (drsquare)

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:36:12 +0200

"Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mlw"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >> "Rene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:pwTU6.38562$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> Linux,  like Windows,  is coded in C.  So is GNOME.

Just as a note, Linux is indeed written in C, but Windows is written mainly
in C++.
Windows' *kernel* is written in C, though.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:37:21 +0200

"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9g1olv$qvo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"

> > They have a *very* distinct look, I posted a screen shot, did you saw
> > it?
>
> They look different, but does the user know why? There is no standard
> for the colors of links, and IE and NS have between them pretty much
> destroyed any other useful standards ... why shoudl this be anything
> different?

It's not just another color for a hyper link.
It's a totally different mecanism.
You *can't* get confused between them.
http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
Here is a screen shot.
news:9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My post that talks about it.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:38:03 +0200

"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Josh
> McKee) wrote:
>
> > And this changes what I said how? Regardless of what you have written
> > (and the validity/invalidity of such statements) it isn't as easy as
> > "then don't buy it".
>
> The problem is not so much me having the web pages I visit changed as it
> is visitors to my web site seeing links I didn't put in it.

<Sarcasm>
Oh, boy, how terrible.
You are not in complete control of your site's visitors.
</Sarcasm>
You *are* aware that they could do it all along, the Smart Tags only make it
easier

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:38:44 +0200

"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9g1mta$pbp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
> <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > My main question was "Who controls what hyperlinks are added?"
> > >
> > > The answer is "Microsoft and whoever else has enough money to develop
> > > and distribute their own plugins."
> >
> > No, the SmartTags SDK is available for free at MS' site.
> > You can download and roll your own.
> >
> > > This answer is not "the web page author."
> >
> > If he feels like investing its time, yes it is.
>
> Ah, so if I want my page to be unaltered by Microsoft, I have to get
> their DSK? Which means I have to get a Windows machine that runs it?

No, you add a meta tag.
If you want to develop Smart Tags, read the documentation, Smart Tags can be
simple XML, which is cross platform.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:40:46 +0200

"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> mlw wrote:
>
> Agree with C++ stuff (well mostly).
>
> > <RANT>
> > GNOME is written in C for some stupidly flawed logic. I have yet to see
> > reasonable explanation, with the possible exception that the original
> > developers only knew C and decided that ignorance was a better strategy
than
> > actually learning about computers and computing languages.
>
> That is quite reasonable. If I wanted to start a popular opensource
> project I probably would not choose Phyton as my target language. It is
> just simply that more people know C because it is easier - so it is
> easier to get more good people to help out your project.

C is certainly not easier, C is one of the hardest languages in existance.
It's popular, I'll give you that, but it's not easy.

Pointers is a hard cocept to grasp, manual memory management, no array
boundy checking, no *real* arrays, no strings.
All of those make C to a hard language.

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:50:44 +1000

> > project I probably would not choose Phyton as my target language. It is
> > just simply that more people know C because it is easier - so it is
> > easier to get more good people to help out your project.
> >

> C is certainly not easier, C is one of the hardest languages in existance.
> It's popular, I'll give you that, but it's not easy.
>
> Pointers is a hard cocept to grasp, manual memory management, no array
> boundy checking, no *real* arrays, no strings.
> All of those make C to a hard language.

coming from assembly it's a dream :)
ps I have never coded in assembly. my only attempt over wrote command.com
with some int
that some one was telling me causing a reboot every time command.com was
loaded including reboots :)

those were the days

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:25:41 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > mlw wrote:
> >
> > Agree with C++ stuff (well mostly).
> >
> > > <RANT>
> > > GNOME is written in C for some stupidly flawed logic. I have yet to see
> > > reasonable explanation, with the possible exception that the original
> > > developers only knew C and decided that ignorance was a better strategy
> than
> > > actually learning about computers and computing languages.
> >
> > That is quite reasonable. If I wanted to start a popular opensource
> > project I probably would not choose Phyton as my target language. It is
> > just simply that more people know C because it is easier - so it is
> > easier to get more good people to help out your project.
> >

> C is certainly not easier, C is one of the hardest languages in existance.
> It's popular, I'll give you that, but it's not easy.
>
> Pointers is a hard cocept to grasp, manual memory management, no array
> boundy checking, no *real* arrays, no strings.
> All of those make C to a hard language.

C and C++ are languages that resemble how computers work. C++ allows more
abstraction, but both still have the ability to write code whose operation is a
logical extrapolation of the code as written.

I submit there are two types of people that write computer code, programmers
and software engineers. A software engineer must be comfortable with assembly,
C, C++, and higher level languages. A programmer need only be familiar with the
language which they want to use. Programmers use tools written by software
engineers.

All the things you say C lacks, we could debate, but C does have arrays, C does
have strings, just not they way you want them.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Test your Brain!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:29:22 -0400

B'ichela wrote:

>         However the equation changes drastically if the subfloor shows
> serious damage caused by water from washing dishes/laundry or
> spillage. then the choice is clear Fix the dratted floor at Any cost!

Ahhh, but that changes the nature of the problem. There you should fix it. The
price of doing nothing excceds the price of repair. The formula always works,
you just have to make sure that the problem is properly understood.

I diagree with the "at any cost." if moving to a different building is cheaper,
then move.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:57:23 +0200

"green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g27iq$b8c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > project I probably would not choose Phyton as my target language. It
is
> > > just simply that more people know C because it is easier - so it is
> > > easier to get more good people to help out your project.
> > >

> > C is certainly not easier, C is one of the hardest languages in
existance.
> > It's popular, I'll give you that, but it's not easy.
> >
> > Pointers is a hard cocept to grasp, manual memory management, no array
> > boundy checking, no *real* arrays, no strings.
> > All of those make C to a hard language.
> >

> coming from assembly it's a dream :)
> ps I have never coded in assembly. my only attempt over wrote command.com
> with some int
> that some one was telling me causing a reboot every time command.com was
> loaded including reboots :)
>
> those were the days

Coming from assembly C looks like English.
You *can* understand it!

Coming from other languages... It doesn't have much to offer in terms of
ease-of-use.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:35 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:22:40 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Nope, there should be a mandatory test, for every incorrect answer, $1000 is
>added onto the price of the computer, for evey correct answear, the price
>will stay constant. Those who fail the test twice, or are caught cheating,
>automatically loose their right to use a computer for the rest of their
>lives :)
>
>Matthew Gardiner

What would be the questions?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:36 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:26:53 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>> >quite true.
>>
>> What about chess? On the radio?
>
>Syncronised swimming?

Not if it's NAKED syncronised swimming.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:37 +0100

On 10 Jun 2001 21:14:02 PDT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brock Hannibal)) wrote:

>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
><9g1eb2$uj4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>> Woulda, shoulda, coulda! You don't have a son. You don't know
>>> what it feels like to love a son. You don't know how you would
>>> react. That's the bottom line. Basically you're full of hot air,
>>> signifying nothing.
>>
>>Are you trying to spurt the typical homophobic legacy, off spring,
>>family name bull shit.
>
>No, I'm not homophobic. I'm practical. Being gay is a huge
>disadvantage in life, whether it should be or not, it is. It makes
>many of the other aspects of a person's life very difficult. That's
>the reality of it, and that's why I hope my son grows up to be
>heterosexual.

Please explain how it is a disadvantage.

>Run along, now, before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.
>You're embarassing thoughtful individuals everywhere, gay and
>straight alike.

No, that's what you're doing.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:37 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:41:09 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Stuart Fox wrote:
>> >
>> > Try running XF86Setup on an AST PC with an ATI Mach32 chip on the
>> > motherboard.  X will not run afterwards, and will not run until you edit
>> > the config file.
>> >
>> On what junkyard did you find that stuff?
>
>Linux advocates told me that Linux with X would run fine on a 486, with 16MB
>memory so I tried it.  It didn't.

I hardly think it's Linux's fault that you don't know what you're
doing.

>It ran fine with no X loaded.

Why would you want to load X anyway?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:38 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:24:46 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >No, the FIRST experience is editing that rediculous config file and
>> >trying to get your drivers and the clock rate and the resolution and
>> >all the other parameters set correctly.
>>
>> Well, you must have done something severely wrong. Whenever I set X
>> up, it installs and configures all by itself, no drivers needed.
>> Windows on the other hand requires delving into the big pile of
>> floppies looking for obscurely placed drivers just to get out of
>> 640x480 mode.
>>
>Well you must still be using Windows 3.11 if you still are having such
>problems. Either that or you've got hold of a copy of Win95 and are
>complaining that it doesn't include drivers for hardware introduced last
>year.

No, I'm using 98, and an older version of X had no problem setting up
the card.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:39 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:02:08 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Starthing from 1996, 90% of HD sold were > 1GB.
>>
>> And a 1GB hard disk is big enough for Windows XP and all the software?
>
>For XP, yes.
>For all the software, depend on the software.

Well, I don't think there's much use in XP on its own.

>Note that I said *greater than*, I think that in 96 it was 2.5 & 3 GB,
>escalating quickly afterward.
>
>You *are* aware that most games install about that much into the HD.
>Diablo2, frex, installed 1.5GB on my HD.
>
>MS designed their OS to be compatible to about five years old standard
>computers.

This computer's about three years old, and XP wouldn't stand a chance
on it. Linux on the other hand runs perfectly. Looks like Windows
loses again.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:40 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:41 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:08

>>>No I don't ever remember saying I needed a hard drive bigger than 1BG
>>>I don't even know what unit of measurement that is.
>>
>>You knew what I meant you fucking idiot.
>
>Now now.  We know he is a fucking idiot.  But you're not going to get
>anywhere using that as an argument all by itself.

Using what as an argument?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:42 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:51:12 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Peter Köhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>T. Max Devlin wrote:

>> Got any numbers?  I'm glad to see you think that DVDs are common, but it
>> seems odd that this isn't the case.  Maybe you aren't the ruler of all
>> reality after all?
>>
>Well, I can only speak for germany, but here it is quite rare to find a
>preconfigured computer without a DVD-drive (Not that I ever would buy
>such a thingy) . I should guess the same holds true for the US.
>But maybe in some backwater over there they just discovered that
>3!/2"" Floppies are even better than 5!/4" ones? And music is (surprise)
>now also available on strange looking small disks, which won´t play at all
>on a real good turntable?

Got any statistics on how many computers have DVD drives to back up
your points? Or are you too busy invading Poland and burning Jews?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:42 +0100

On 11 Jun 2001 01:43:41 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill)) wrote:

>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>
>> I've never seen a system available with both a DVD and a CDRW.  A DVD
>> and a CDROM, sure.  Maybe you don't understand the difference?
>>
>You're not looking then...   the American TV ad (Milwaukee) for 6/10 -
>6/16 on page 11b has an HP pc with both a DVD and CD-RW, it's the
>first of 3 pc's in the entire ad.  The other 2 only have CDRW.
>There's a statistic for you.  1/3 of the pc's in the American ad have
>a DVD and CDRW as standard equipment.
>
>And that was only the first ad I picked up.  I was not searching high
>and low to find it.

Wow, that means a lot.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:44 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:40:16 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >But it doesn't, you've to ask it to.
>>
>> I don't think so.
>
>You don't seem to think at all.
>
>This feature will be disabled by default in the shipping builds.

I think not.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:45 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:44:10 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)) wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:43:37 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> >HTML is just not the right tool to use if you
>> >want that kind of control.
>>
>> What would you use then? A giant .gif?
>
>A PDF would be more efficient.

No it wouldn't

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:45 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:20:45 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) wrote:

>> > What would you use then? A giant .gif?
>>
>> A PDF would be more efficient.
>
>As long as links don't interest you, I guess.

And ease of designing it.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:46 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:59:19 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >HTML is just not the right tool to use if you
>> >want that kind of control.
>>
>> What would you use then? A giant .gif?
>
>Yes, or, more likely, PDF, which is designed to do *just* that.

Maybe, except PDFs which are completely shite. HTML wipes the floor
with PDF.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:47 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:51:21 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > HTML is just not the right tool to use if you
>> > want that kind of control.
>>
>> Yes, it is.
>>
>> In HTML you have control over the hyperlink structure of your document.
>> Until now, any browser that you rendrered the page in would faithfully
>> reproduce that hyperlink structure.
>
>Not true.  For instance, if you have a hyperlink in a format your browser
>doesn't understand, it will not display it, such as if it were in a frame
>and you were using a browser that didn't support frames.

If it didn't support frames, then it wouldn't show anything at all!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:48 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:57:28 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > Though MS can and no doubt will provide
>> > their own, included as standard.
>>
>> My main question was "Who controls what hyperlinks are added?"
>>
>> The answer is "Microsoft and whoever else has enough money to develop
>> and distribute their own plugins."
>
>No, the SmartTags SDK is available for free at MS' site.
>You can download and roll your own.

And how many users are going to do that? 1%? The rest will get the
ones built-in from MS.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:48 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:59:01 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > IANAL, but I believe that this fall under fair-use laws.
>>
>> Yes, if I alter my own copy. But if I alter, say, every copy in a
>> newspaper box on the street corner?
>
>But you don't.
>You've to spesifically ask the browser to do it.

I think not.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:49 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:42:57 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:47:44 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>[snip]
>> >HTML is just not the right tool to use if you
>> >want that kind of control.
>>
>> What would you use then? A giant .gif?
>
>How about PDF?

PDF? Hardly the sort of thing suitable for a web site.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:50 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:39:55 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:42 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>> >
>> >That is, if your driver is present, which most of the time it's not.
>> >And only if the install program sets ther resolution for you, which,
>> >from my experience, it rarely does this.
>>
>> I have a very obscure, low quality card, and it still set it up
>> nicely.
>>
>Try it with an AST PC with an ATI Mach32 on the motherboard.
>
>It won't set it up by itself no matter how hard you try.

I would if I had one.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:51 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:57:50 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >This is hardly an example of how the Windows CLI is crippled I'm afraid.
>>
>> It's an example of a bash script with no external executables, as the
>
>The previous poster was me - you don't have a threaded newsreader do you?

Yes, but as the previous poster had badly snipped the post, it was
impossible to see.

>OK, it's an example of a bash script with no external executables.  However,
>my point was that the command line is really only as useful as the tools you
>can plug into it.

And how useful the actual shell is, and how the OS is designed to be
run from the command line.

>Windows cmd.exe does not do process limits at the command
>line, because as far as I am aware, Windows does not do process limits.

Well, that's good! Can't wait till someone launches a fork bomb on
that one...

>Therefore, claiming that the Windows CLI is crippled because Windows itself
>does not support something is a little futile really.  You can argue that
>Windows itself is crippled if you like.

OK then, Windows is crippled. Also, the Windows CLI is crippled.

>I just get bored of people throwing out the line "the windows CLI is
>crippled", and providing no justification.  I would really like to know why
>people think that.

Because it is?

>> >Given that Windows doesn't do process limits in a unix fashion, not
>having
>> >this ability in the command interpreter is not crippled.
>>
>> Why do you have to change the fucking subject every two lines?
>
>If you follow the thread, I'm not changing the subject at all.  However, you
>seem pathologically incapable of following threads.  You couldn't even
>identify that I was the previous poster.

I don't see the point in you even trying to contribute to this thread
if you're going to change the subject every 4 lines.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:52 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:35:36 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Chances are the guy can't even see his display so how is he supposed
>>> to accomplish that?
>>
>>Xconfigurator runs in the VGA text screen. He will be able to run it.
>
>Download a readme is what I meant.

Why can't he do that?

>>As I have said many times, installation is not a good way to judge an OS. A
>>system up, running, and configured is the only reasonable way to form an
>>opinion.
>
>If one can not get it installed the reviewing part becomes a moot
>point :)

Most likely it will be pre-installed anyway.