From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tinman digest, volume 2451760
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 07:35:23 GMT

Marty writes:

>> Here's today's Tinman digest.  Note how he still doesn't understand
>> the difference between replying to someone and taking their advice.

> Hypocrite:
> DT> Witness his continued responses to me, which means that I obviously
> DT> am worth his time.

Illogical, Marty, given that the above quotation deals with the worth
of someone's time, not with the advice given by unreasonable people.

> Has Mark Kelly taken your advice?

Irrelevant, Marty, given that his statement involved what was worth his
time, and not my advice.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney)
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,soc.singles,alt.society.anarchy
Subject: Re: LOREN PETRICH...CLOSET-DICTATOR
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 08:00:42 GMT

On 3 Aug 2000 00:52:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Aug 2000 18:55:04 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>>Loren Petrich wrote:
>>>
>>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
>>What's the difference between Microsoft's Extortion and Racketeering,
>>and Government Extortion and Racketeering?
>
>The government throw you in jail for tax fraud if you don't pay your
>federal tax, but Microsoft can't do anything if you opt out of the
>Microsoft tax ? Subtle difference.

Wanna bet?
They can bring the government down on you.

That is assuming the time ever comes where Microsoft is able to push
out all the other OS's. This almost happened if it wasn't for the DOJ.

1. All x86 PC's sold before that time, came only with Windows. (This
is a widely known fact.)

2. Microsoft has a percentage of Apple stock now. (20% I believe?) The
intent is rather obvious there: buy out and absorb Apple.

3. Microsoft and other companies were planning to have a "pay per
year" usage system for their software. Which means you buy it and then
pay a fee to continue to have the right to use it, year after year.

4. Lack of another OS choice - credible choices or not - would have
made a non Windows purchase grossly impractical for the entire
American population, save a few techies who run internet servers.

Which means everyone gets railroaded down the "fee per year" - or,
"Microsoft tax" track.

5. If Microsoft had had their way, it would have been a case of if you
don't pay the Microsoft tax, you don't have Windows, no Windows, no
experience using the one single OS that everyone else is using, and
thus no compatibility. (They would use the UCITA to outlaw reverse
engineering and then close-source ALL protocols and file formats. All
of this Microsoft is already trying to do at this moment - see the
recent Kerberos flap. Also see: embrase, extend, extinguish.) You're
also shut out of a LOT of jobs that would, by then, require extensive
Windows literacy. (Namely, any job having to do with computers.)

On a side note, if you try and have a copy of Windows without paying
the fee, look out. Microsoft spent over $20 million to research the
ability for someone in a van to scan what is on your monitor screen
from outside on the street. The ubiqutous eye of Microsoft will then
bust you for any copyright violations. Perhaps as a result of
Microsoft's investment, this technology, called TEMPEST radiation
monitoring, will be available to the average user - to say nothing of
law enforcement - in 5 years, for just a few thousand dollars. (Don't
believe me? Okay - read this:
http://www.sciam.com/1998/1298issue/1298techbus4.html and
http://www.newscientist.com/ns/19991106/newsstory6.html)

Now, granted, Microsoft will not send Microsoft employed TROOPS to
come get you, but they can lobby and big money payola the government
into banning everything from the fair use clause (no backing up of
your software to prevent catastrophic data loss) to reverse
engineering (under the UCITA, if you debug their software and report a
major bug, you go to jail, do not pass Go, and Microsoft collects
$200K from your hide).

This is to say the attacks from big business come at you indirectly -
through their manipulations of politicians with big money, and through
high powered lawyers in the courts.

Remember it wasn't the Carnegie Steel Plant that killed those seven
workers at Homestead, PA in 1892 - it was the sycophants at Pinkerton
Security, which they hired, who did this. And if it wasn't gonna be
Pinkerton, it was surely going to be the state militia. Which in fact
was brought in shortly thereafter, to back up the Pinkerton people.
Wanna know more about what corporations could do? Well it was no
coincidence that the strikers were tried for treason against the State
after this affair. They pissed off the Corporate State. But thank God
the juries gave them a resounding fuckyou and handed down nothing but
acquittals.

And those who say it can't happen again .... well it can - with enough
people asleep at the watch. And we have exactly that situation right
now. See: voter apathy.

-- Steve

------------------------------

From: "Tony Neville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.gis,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: There is no such thing as a free lunch!
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 20:13:57 +1200

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Steve Wilbur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Even if the people using the software get it for free, get tech support
> > for free, and even get people to use it on their behalf for free -
> > there is still a cost - borne by SOMEONE.  it's not free.
> >
> > There is no such thing as a free lunch
>
> Yes, but we don't have people becoming mega-multi-billionaires at our
> expense either.

Very true.  The Royal Family has *got* to go.  Maybe they could be
sold off to pay for a defense fund for Microsoft.   I did my little bit by
purchasing Windows 98 and Visual C++ 6.0.  How about yourself?

Cheers,
           Tony.

------------------------------

From: "Slava Pestov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bennett digest, volume 4 (Tholen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 18:17:00 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
tholenbot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Else it's just a whole lot of hot air coming from the old geyser.
>
> Illogical.  How predictable.  Still flying around irrelevant airspace in
>  your hot water balloon, Malloy?

Irrelevant, Eric. Meanwhile, I see you still haven't replied to my
post with subject 'Re: Bennett digest, volume 3 (Tholen)'. Why is that,
Eric? Have you finally realised that you have lost the argument, but
are to embarrassed to admit it?

------------------------------

From: David Punsalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: maximum (?) linux
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 03:32:26 -0500

Hi,

This post is not about Linux - but about a Linux magazine.  I apologize in
advance if this is not the right newsgroup to post to.  I would, however,
like to get other people's opinions.

I recently made a mistake of buying an issue of "Maximum Linux" magazine.
I thought it was absolutely horrible.

I was in an airport and had to kill time, so I bought it.  I was so upset
that I wasted my money on it.  Does anyone else agree that this magazine
is terrible?  Did I just get a bad issue (aug/sept 2000)?

It comes in a plastic bag so that you can't check it out prior to
purchasing it - now I know why.  Inside - they break the news to you that
the free Mandrake 7.1 CD that it comes with is not quite the full version.
The crippled distribution might be okay still - but this "surprise" just
adds salt to the wound.

In just ~10 minutes of looking at it, I saw 2 glaring typos.  As I tried,
to make the best of it - I realized, in horror, that very little useful
information could be found (e.g. One of the columnists, a self
professed "newbie" gives "tips" which are entirely superficial with no
details. )

Hopefully, this post will save some people who are curious about it.  I
bought an issue of "Linux Magazine" and I liked it a lot b/c in a single
issue - I found scores of useful information with detailed listings.
"Maximum Linux" magazine, I think, may be good for people want to know
more about Linux merchandise. But I found it woefully lacking in useful,
informative articles.

- David

------------------------------

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Linux = Yet Another Unix
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 05:09:50 -0400

1. Windows was nothing new when 1.0 came out.... UNIX had been doing "Windows" with
X for years before Micro$loth decided to steal something else... (DOS was simply a
ported CP/M)

2. Apple beat Micro$loth to the GUI market as well, in 1984, with the release of the
Lisa, and in 1985 with the Macintosh. OOps...

3. Bill Gates has made money by having his programmers imitate others' ideas,
calling them his own, buying out his competition (RE: the Stac Electronics incident,
among others), and convincing the public that those ideas were his own...

4. Linux may indeed be another UNIX, but what's wrong with that? It actually takes
knowledge and intelligence to run UNIX and its variants, unlike Windows, where the
user is coddled into a sense of security with its ease of installation and purported
compatibility.

5. Hardware compatibility... this point is a real joke... There is no need to
recompile a kernel to get a video card to work up to standard capabilities. In fact,
all video cards that I know of for i386-type platforms run X quite well with the
standard SVGA drivers. Yes, some work better, and have more capabilities with their
tailor made drivers (Mach64(ATI Rage/RageII/RageII+/RageIIc) and Voodoo are good
examples). No, I've never compiled framebuffer support into my kernel, or SVGA
support, or anthing else of that sort. It's unnecessary. My Mach64 cards, Trident
9440, 9480, 3DImage975, and Mach128 cards have all worked right out of the box, with
a little tweaking and some shared knowledge. Again, it takes a brain that can think
to get them to do what you want, but let's face it, anything worth having is worth
working for.

6. Winmodems... Please.. Glorified sound cards is all they are. Some actually DO
work with Linux, if you get off your lazy butt and do a websearch to find the
information. Fact of the matter is it's a cheap way to do something that $5.00 more
in parts would accomplish, and they're not really worth the time...

So if you want to be coddled, and want to brainlessly play games, and surf the net,
use Windows... If you want to really learn what's going on inside your computer, use
a UNIX based OS.

Oh, and yes, this message was written in Netscape on a Windows 98 machine... I like
to play games too, and yes, it's easier to do so in Windows, but most everything
else I do, I do in Linux or NetBSD.

Hope this clears up the issues. I'll probably get flamed for it, but what the hey,
it's just my two cents.

-SSB

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.society.liberalism,soc.singles
Subject: Re: one  of Lenin's Useful Idiots denies reality
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:11:37 GMT

On 1 Aug 2000 17:41:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Steve Chaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 1 Aug 2000 06:12:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loren Petrich) wrote:
>
>>How good does a power mac work with Linux? That processor should be
>>screaming without the limitations of (pick your Apple OS of the day).
>>It sure turns out x86 screams without the limitations of Windows,
>>that's for sure!
>
>       It performs excellently under the BeOS, though I haven't tried a
>PowerPC flavor of Linux yet.

My memory of PPC Linux is fuzzy but the last memory I have of it was
some spectacular sighting of a Mac running Linux locally in a shell
window, while running Photoshop and Marathon in another window. People
say that is impossible, especially back when I saw it in 1996.

I wonder what I was looking at. The machine wasn't on a network and
wasn't telnetting to a shell somewhere else, so those unix shell
windows were local. Unfortunately it was someone else's machine and I
dared not touch it and see for myself what was up.

Oh well - chalk it up as an Elvis sighting.

>       Apple is still too slow with MacOS X :-(

Yeah but it looks good :)

-- Steve
PS: A friend of the GPL is a friend of mine.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Chaney)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:21:16 GMT

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:30:31 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Steve Chaney wrote:
>
>> Let me introduce you to TheJungle.
>> In TheJungle calling for help is for wimps.
>
>Wrong.  Being a lazy ass bastard and whining because you don't have
>an infinite supply of snacky cakes for sufficient grounds for
>a boot in the face.

If I decided to eat a snacky cake would you care to try and come and
provide the boot to the face?

Bwahhahahahahahah.

good one matey

-- Steve
kulky yer gonna get rolled up into a bowling ball and used as
ammunition in a war against some tenpins.

------------------------------

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 05:32:45 -0400

I don't think I could have said it better myself.... I tried, tho... before
I read yours... Good job, Rex

-SSB

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:37:47 GMT

Slava Pestov writes:

> Irrelevant, Eric. Meanwhile, I see you still haven't replied to my
> post with subject 'Re: Bennett digest, volume 3 (Tholen)'. Why is that,
> Eric?

Maybe because your subject line is irrelevant to the content?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,soc.singles,alt.society.anarchy
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 05:54:51 -0400

Steve Chaney wrote:

> [...]
> high powered lawyers in the courts.
>
> Remember it wasn't the Carnegie Steel Plant that killed those seven
> workers at Homestead, PA in 1892 - it was the sycophants at Pinkerton
> Security, which they hired, who did this. And if it wasn't gonna be
> Pinkerton, it was surely going to be the state militia. Which in fact
> was brought in shortly thereafter, to back up the Pinkerton people.
> Wanna know more about what corporations could do? Well it was no
> coincidence that the strikers were tried for treason against the State
> after this affair. They pissed off the Corporate State. But thank God
> the juries gave them a resounding fuckyou and handed down nothing but
> acquittals.
>
> And those who say it can't happen again .... well it can - with enough
> people asleep at the watch. And we have exactly that situation right

How is it that you pass back and forth between vapid ignorance and
brilliant insight between sending one post and writing the next?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren's Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.