Linux-Advocacy Digest #331, Volume #28            Wed, 9 Aug 00 19:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Tholen digest, volume 2451765.4476k2^-.000000000001 ("Joe Malloy")
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard    says    Linux
growth stagnating (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says    Linux
growth stagnating ("Stephen S. Edwards II")
  Re: Maximum file size question (Mikey)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard    says    Linux
growth stagnating ("Stephen S. Edwards II")
  Re: Steve/Mike Gets A Sex Change -- And His 36th Fake Name (was: Why     Linux will
crash and burn..... (Black Dragon)
  Re: Why Linux will crash and burn..... (Black Dragon)
  Re: Maximum file size question (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Sucking fees? Please help (Black Dragon)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard       says
Linux growth stagnating (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Active x (Glitch)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard    says    Linux
growth stagnating (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: No Gnome for me :-( (OSguy)
  Re: - Windows has made me stupid !!! Thanks, Bill. (Windows is worst than
Crack-Cocaine) - (I got to say it again!!!) (Black Dragon)
  Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company (M.P. van Dobben de Bruijn)
  Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tholen digest, volume 2451765.4476k2^-.000000000001
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 21:08:46 GMT

Here's one of today's Tholen digests.  Notice how he's ignored the evidence
for the fact that he likes to "hear" himself, as well as the evidence for
his reading comprehension problem.  He claims to be advocating the right
tool for the job, so what's he doing here?  Good question!  To the digest!

[Tholen just tholens along.]

Typical Tholen, typical claptrap.  Bye!
--

"USB, idiot, stands for Universal Serial Bus. There is no power on the
output socket of any USB port I have ever seen" - Bob Germer

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard    says
 Linux growth stagnating
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:07:04 -0500

Mike Marion wrote:

> Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>
> > You know, not all Linux users/advocates 'hate' MS.  A lot of us (myself
> > included) have had bad experiences with MS software in the past, and
> > detest their business practices.  But that doesn't mean we 'hate' MS and
> > that is our only motivation for pushing Linux.  Fact is, Linux does a
> > good job for me in the ways I use it.  That is irregardless of MS
> > (except for the fact that Windows couldn't do the same jobs for me).  I
> > like Linux because of what it does, not because of MS's failings.
>
> Well said.
>
> Some of us still use windows too.. I do since I'm an avid (or is that
> rabid? :) ) gamer, and Linux still lacks in the gaming arena.  However,
> this continued use is one of the reasons that I dislike windows more and
> more.. because I run into issues with it almost daily during my gaming.
>
> --
> Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
> answering machine message : "hi. e-mail me."

Then perhaps you will understand when I scream, "We do not need to make
Linux just like Windows."  We need to make Linux like Linux only more
accessible.  The sooner people get over the Windows obsession the better
off we will all be.  Windows is Windows, and we really only need one
company making that.  Linux is something totally different (and for that
I am grateful) and it doesn't need to be *the next Windows* to impress
anybody.  It needs to be better at what it is, not trade what it is for
what Windows is.  Ack!

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux growth stagnating
Date: 9 Aug 2000 21:42:57 GMT

Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: Boris wrote:

8<SNIP>8

: You know, not all Linux users/advocates 'hate' MS.  A lot of us (myself

Of course not.  However, I can honestly say that I have had run-ins with
Linux loonies all too often... people who think of Linux as some sort of
Government-overthrowing, Microsoft-squishing tool, that they wield like a
sword.  And I don't mean just here on USENET, I'm talking about out in the
world.

While I'm not anyone to pass judgement, I can honestly say that my
encounters with rational Linux fans such as yourself has been quite
limited.

: included) have had bad experiences with MS software in the past, and

And many of us have had bad experiences with UNIX variants.  Ever seen a
500-node network of Sun boxen go down, simply because an installation
script munged a setting in a file in /etc?  I have.  It was remarkable.

: detest their business practices.  But that doesn't mean we 'hate' MS and

When you say "we", I think you are speaking for the few rational UNIX
advocates who still bother to post to .advocacy groups.  :-)

Most of the UNIX advocates who post here are merely trolls.  That
is why we tend to berate and ridicule them, rather than attempt
to reason with them (as past attempts have proven to be worthless).

: that is our only motivation for pushing Linux.  Fact is, Linux does a
: good job for me in the ways I use it.  That is irregardless of MS
: (except for the fact that Windows couldn't do the same jobs for me).  I
: like Linux because of what it does, not because of MS's failings.

Right.  So, in other words you "get it".  Unfortunately, most
of the non-Microsoft-using folks who insist on posting baloney
here still don't "get it".

Speaking for myself only, it's not often that I ever advocate
WindowsNT for anything.  Most of the time, I'm merely deflating
the many wild claims that are coming from the mouths of the
less-learned zealots.

: Some of us just like alternatives, and have no reason to 'root for the
: winner'.  I personally feel BeOS is one hell of a system.  Then there's
: the BSDs, AtheOS, and all sorts of other alternatives.  I root for each
: of them as they grow (and some wither) and get better or worse.  I want
: to see the alternatives prosper because (as you hinted at in the end of
: your post) the competition will drive all the other systems forward.

: It's not all about hating MS.  It's about liking Linux.

: It appears you are projecting.  You (just by readin this post I can
: tell, but your others are just as telling) 'hate' Linux and use that as
: your motivation for pushing MS.  So you assume that hate is the driving

Honestly, I don't see many of us "pushing" NT, so much as we're
just having fun debating with the folks who say such silly things
about it.  But then again, it's not like I read every single thread
here, so I may be mistaken.

: force in everyone else's life.  Sad really.  Is there anything you
: actually like, just because you feel it is good.  Or is it purely a
: matter of, "I use what I use because I hate the alternatives."

Speaking for myself, I'm quite enamoured with WindowsNT.  It never gives
me fits, and it does exactly what I need it to do.  And, I actually enjoy
using it.  No, it's not for everyone, especially folks who are more
comfortable with UNIX environments.  But here in COMNA, it looks as if the
UNIX advocates keep telling us that we're only using WindowsNT, either
because we are being "paid" by Microsoft to do so, or that we just don't
know any better.  This is the reason why we tend to ridicule, rather than
bother trying to converse.

: I like Linux for what it is.  It isn't perfect, but it works (for me).

Heck, I use WindowsNT, IRIX, and NetBSD... I like them all.  I think
the problem is, that, as I said earlier, some people just don't "get it".
--
.-----.
|[ ]  |  Stephen Edwards | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
| =  :| "I'm too polite to use that word, so I'll just say,
|     |  'bite me, you baboon-faced ass-scratcher.'"
|_..._|                     --SEGA's Seaman on the "F" word.

------------------------------

From: Mikey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maximum file size question
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 06:55:28 -0400

Jeff Peterson wrote:

> I am running RedHat Linux 6.2. I am using Netscape 4.72. Whenever I try
> to download a large gzipped file, it disappears after the download
> completes. This happened twice when I was downloading the newest
> Netscape
> 4.74 tar'd and gzipped 17MB file yesterday through the Netscape browser
> by ftp.

It could be your file quotas.  I've shot myself in the foot with that
once. :)

--
Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Linux growth stagnating
Date: 9 Aug 2000 21:53:11 GMT

Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: Mike Marion wrote:
: >
: > Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
: >
[...]
: > --
: > Mike Marion -  Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc.
: > answering machine message : "hi. e-mail me."

: Then perhaps you will understand when I scream, "We do not need to make
: Linux just like Windows."  We need to make Linux like Linux only more
: accessible.  The sooner people get over the Windows obsession the better

The reason why Linux is being made so "Windowsy", is because of the
mindless types of users, who want Microsoft's applications, as well
as the ability to say "I'm Microsoft-free!  Gawd I'm cool!"

: off we will all be.  Windows is Windows, and we really only need one
: company making that.  Linux is something totally different (and for that

Well, in all fairness, Linux is really just another kernel, with a whole
lot of GNUware around it.  There isn't much of an advantage of using Linux
over some other UNIX variant such as NetBSD, or FreeBSD.

Actually, I'm of the opinion that the BSD clones are cleaner
implementations of UNIX like environments than Linux is.

: I am grateful) and it doesn't need to be *the next Windows* to impress
: anybody.  It needs to be better at what it is, not trade what it is for
: what Windows is.  Ack!

That is why "more support" == "more users who want the 'Windowsy' things."

Popularity _always_ kills the charm of the trend.
--
.-----.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)
Subject: Re: Steve/Mike Gets A Sex Change -- And His 36th Fake Name (was: Why
Linux will crash and burn.....
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 21:52:19 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:40:59 -0700 in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Michael Vester' said:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> See if you fit Claire's "Typical Linux User Profile".
>>
>> 1.  Middle aged and single.

Nope, middle aged, married, two teenagers who *love* using Linux.

>> 2.  Overweight.

6'3" 205#, healthy/strong as an Ox.

>> 3. No girlfriend.

Got one of those too, she's a `MAC' lover, but don't tell my Windows loving
troll, erm. . . wife. ;-)

>> 4. Above average in intelligence but have trouble dealing with people.

Very high intelligence and work / excel in "teamwork" environments.

>> 5. The company you work for makes lots of money off of your work,
>> because you are good at whatever it is you do, but they make certain
>> to keep you locked away so the clients don't see you.

The company I work for doesn't hide me at all, they dangle me like a carrot in
front of a jackass, to their competitors, and then challenge them to try to
match wages. :-)

>> 6.  The kid that the rest of the class picked on.

At 6'3' 185# in high school, I didn't get fucked with at all, nor was I a
bully.

>> 7. Because you are somewhat an introvert, you turn to your machines
>> (computers) for comfort.

"Machines" is a broad term. Motorcycles, Cars/Trucks, Planes, Machine Tools,
and Computers are all machines that I turn to for enjoyment.

>> 8. You most likely had a very high GPA and SAT scores.

Yep, and I slept through school so I could work, then party all night.

>> 9. You don't own a television, or if you do, you don't watch it much
>> (this is good).

My TV is used mainly for playing games.

>> 10. You love Star Trek, StarWars, 2001 etc.

Nope, Mortal Combat, Bloodsport, etc. are more my speed. My posting handle
is Martial Arts inspired.

>Claire, you must try to keep current if you want to make
>sweeping generalizations of all Linux users. Perhaps more time
>spent with current events and less time inventing new
>pseudonyms with matching personalities.

No Clair, just get your sorry ass back in the kitchen where it belongs and
make me a chicken pot pie, CUNT.

--
Black Dragon

"Trying to make the Internet a better place, one Linux box at a time."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)
Subject: Re: Why Linux will crash and burn.....
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 21:57:11 GMT

On 9 Aug 2000 11:48:02 -0400 in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Adam Price' said:

>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Shit, the damm thing is free and still, nobody I know is using it.
>> Why is that?
>>

>You have no friends?

No freinds above the age of five.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 20:28:34 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:56:12 -0400, Jeff Peterson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is there a download size limitation in Netscape or is it a Linux
>maximum file size limitation?

I don't know if Netscape has a limitation, if it does I've never hit
it.  RH 6.2, like most current Linux distributions has a max file size
of 2 GB.

One thing that comes to mind is disk quotas.  Maybe the 17 MB file
would put you over a quota and so saving it fails.  In which case the
bug would be Netscape not displaying an error message rather than
having a silly limit.  Or maybe you don't have enough free space on the
partition.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)
Subject: Re: Sucking fees? Please help
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 22:05:01 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:07:30 GMT in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Set your newsreader to display all header information.  Then note the
>option
>> tells deja.com and the other news archivers to not store this message
>in
>> their archives.
>>
>> Finally, A Wintroll too embarrassed to be Archived!
>>

>Next time you stumble onto a Steve^H^H^H^H^HClaire post, just reply and
>include the entire original.  Deja will archive your post and his/her
>original into infinity.

-- Power Search

Enter Keywords

Notice: Archive searches for postings prior to May 15, 1999, are temporarily
unavailable. --

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:58:59 -0500

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> That is why "more support" == "more users who want the 'Windowsy' things."
>
> Popularity _always_ kills the charm of the trend.
> --
> .-----.
> |[ ]  |  Stephen Edwards | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
> | =  :| "I'm too polite to use that word, so I'll just say,
> |     |  'bite me, you baboon-faced ass-scratcher.'"
> |_..._|                     --SEGA's Seaman on the "F" word.

Well, it's not so much the 'charm of the trend' that attracted me to
Linux as the idea of an open system that actually worked.  As I've
studied more and found more I have found that there are better
alternatives around, but the apps keep drawing me back to Linux.  But
now I am getting close to as frustrated with the drive to "be Windows"
as I was once frustrated by Windows itself.

BTW, what you said about the BSDs is true.  They are cleaner
implementations of Unix, because they are *real* Unix derivatives, not
re-writes from the ground up.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 18:20:59 -0400
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Active x

try going to an ms newsgroup

------------------------------

From: Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Linux growth stagnating
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:05:11 -0500

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> : I like Linux for what it is.  It isn't perfect, but it works (for me).
>
> Heck, I use WindowsNT, IRIX, and NetBSD... I like them all.  I think
> the problem is, that, as I said earlier, some people just don't "get it".
> --
> .-----.
> |[ ]  |  Stephen Edwards | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount
> | =  :| "I'm too polite to use that word, so I'll just say,
> |     |  'bite me, you baboon-faced ass-scratcher.'"
> |_..._|                     --SEGA's Seaman on the "F" word.

 You may want to consider reading in cola (comp.os.linux.advocacy) to
see why some of 'us' don't 'get it' as you put it.  There are enough
trollish Windows advocates coming in here daily to tell us how moronic
we are for thinking we should actually have a system we enjoy using,
that I can understand why even someone that 'gets it' wouldn't appear to
get it in the 'cross-posted flamebait' that we often see (and apparently
where you are reading this).  Read some of Boris's more flagrant COLA
posts, or an individual with multiple personality disorder of the
highest magnitude (steve/simon/deadpenguin/claire/etc).  Personally, I
try not to resort to that, but there are those that feel retaliation is
the only way 'out' of the situation.

There are a few of us sane people left.  Not many, but a few.

BTW, I use Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, BeOS, and about any other OS I can
get my hands on for experimental purposes.  But for the most part I
stick to Linux as it is what my business currently uses.
Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.ask.phred
Subject: Re: No Gnome for me :-(
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:46:52 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:59:47 -0500, OSguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just
> > might of wrote, but I'm not going to swear to it:
> >
> > <snip>
> > >
> > >Thanks for letting me rant.....
> > >
> > ><Wintrolls need not make remarks to this post since this is probably
> > >over their heads...no BSODs were involved.>
> > >

> > Hey, You brought me here, and now you're saying I can speak up?
> >
> > BTW, that's why I like Mandrake
>
> I haven't tried Mandrake but I AM wishing I had gone with Corel rather than Redhat.
>From everyone I
> know that uses they all say it is much more *user friendly* God I hate that term.

No you don't want to go with Corel.  If you read the archives of c.o.l.a., you will
see many, many
complaints on Corel.  Basically their installation is broken and will probably give
you more of a bad
taste feeling towards Linux.  If you need something easier than Redhat 6.2 or Mandrake
7.1, try
OpenCaldera.....but also be advised that there are complaints that you can't easily
reconfigure Open
Caldera once it is installed.  Perhaps others in this group can let you know of other
distros that are
easier.

Good Luck.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.windows2000,alt.linux,alt.windows98,alt.linux.os
Subject: Re: - Windows has made me stupid !!! Thanks, Bill. (Windows is worst than
Crack-Cocaine) - (I got to say it again!!!)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 22:21:47 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 13:39:57 GMT in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:

>I used to run a BBS also, based on Mustang Software's Wildcat.

>Claire

That's Mustang Software's "Wildcat!", bitch.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M.P. van Dobben de Bruijn)
Subject: Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company
Date: 9 Aug 2000 22:28:14 GMT

> "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Increased competition leads to higher prices and fewer features?

> There is no competition, and competition cannot be "legislated into existence"
> There's plenty of alternatives but no real competition in the quality arena.

" .... no real competition in the quality arena" ????

I had sensed you were confused, but this confused comes as a surprise.

Regards from Leeuwarden
Peter van Dobben de Bruijn
---
usethenet.at.the-net-4u.com (.at. becomes @)
----

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:24:00 -0700

Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> John Mogensen wrote:

> I think the only thing you forgot is that Linux is slowly alienating
> some of the very people that were initially attracted to it because it
> is *computer literate* friendly.  And as it tries harder and harder to
> emulate Windows, it will alienate more and more of its developers and
> users.  The thought crosses my mind more and more.  It's time for
> another OS shift me thinks.
>
> I've used the BSDs quite a bit, and I really think that they are much
> more suited to the person that understands computers than what Linux is
> right now.  And as Linux companies focus more and more (and more ad
> nauseum) on trying to make Linux 'just like Windows', the BSDs will look
> even better to someone really wishing to take control of his/her
> machine.
>
> But, that's just my opinion.  And I'm sure there are plenty of people
> that will stick with Linux no matter what odd mutations take place.
> After all, look at all the idiots that still liked Metallica after the
> Load/Re-Load albums (I started wondering after the Black album, but
> come-on, what the hell are those Load albums supposed to be).  Groupies
> and religious freaks will always go down with the ship.  It's easier
> than seeking alternatives and thinking for yourself.

I first got started in Linux before I was able to locate a working copy of
FreeBSD.  When I did try get a BSD working on my systems, guess what?  There
was no real dfference between it and Linux.  They are both unix, Mostly the
same software can work on either OS as long as it does not depend on
something unique in either of the kernels.  It is just the kernel that is
really different between them.  The directories are layed out a little
differently, but that is not a real issue.

I have found Linux a little more flexible with my hardware and other systems
compatibility.  The Linux kernel does run on more platforms than FreeBSD.
If the changes that are coming to Linux that change it from what drew me to
it in the first place don't effect me, I find no compelling reason to
switch.  BUT, if the changes do have a negative impact on me, then I will
use Linux for were I must and switch to BSD for hosts that I can run.

The only thing I could see the could cause this situation is changes to the
kernel that would have a negative impact on the security, stability,
flexibility, and reliability of Linux.  If the distributions are too
overboard in making Linux seems like windows, then perhaps it is time for a
few of us Linux old timers to create a new distribution.  A distribution
that will reassert what has made Linux the OS of choice for so many of us.
That distribution would have an unaltered kernel and the software that we
need with none of the "easy to use" bells and whistles.