From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:25:36 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> : My comments where not being used as a proof. I am bored by Materialist
>> : because their phylosophy is so easily shown to be false.

>> Nobody's done it yet.  WTF are you talking about?

> I think we need to help him here... He appears not to know what the word
> materialism means...

> The goal of materialism is to acquire money and things to improve your
> quality of life at the cost of moral/spiritual/whatever health...

Matrialism is defined as, "The doctrine that everything in the world,
including thought, can be explained only in terms of matter" - Websters

Your's is the second definition, and is not usually a part of
Metaphysics.

> |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
> |            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
> |     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Check out this Windows bug
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:26:48 -0500

pip wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> > > I don't wish to discourage your attempts at discrediting windows, but is
> > > this "bug" not absolutely pointless?
> > >
> > > This is not even a real bug - as you _really_ have to go out of your way
> > > to mess things up. What _is_ true is that it caused because of a brain
> > > dead compatibility scheme. Talking about _that_ may be a good way to
> > > show how Linux does not panda to marketing men.
> > >
> > > In other words: this is lame, sorry.  Kind of like a
> > > reverse-win-advocate complaining about some archaic Unix problem. Nice
> > > try though - the thought was in the right place.
> >
> > Read his post properly before calling him lame. He said that he found the
> > bug in a real-world situation and has simply set it out in its simplest
> > form in the post. Understand?
>
> Hey - I did NOT call him lame! In fact from his previous posts, I
> think he is a **really nice guy**! This is NOT a personal attack!
> This test is however lame! Read what _I_ said carefully before putting
> words into my mouth mate!
>
> He does not say exactly how the original problem occurred only:
> "I have been attempting to export my Outlook 2000 mail into a Linux friendly
> format and in the process of attempting to do this I have come across a bug
> in copying files on a Windows 2000 NTFS partition (the bug may be much wider
> that this)."
>
> Therefore I don't know how valid this is (i am sure it may well be), but
> the premise of the test to show this bug _is_ lame as is the "bug". I
> stand by what I said sir.

He was attempting to prepare and move files.
What's to question?

You think someone would deliberately come up with such a thing
seriously believing that it wouldn't work?

Some things, you just can't make up.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: 20 Feb 2001 01:28:50 GMT

Giuliano Colla ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Now you're being a little hard. They manage to keep the site
: up for an average 15/18 days.

Having to reboot every fortnight is still pathetic. Meanwhile, Linux keeps
going and going and going...

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:29:24 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : here's an example which computes the trapezoid approximation to an
> : integral.
>
> : (defun trapezoid-rule (fn a b n)
> :   "apply the trapezoid integration rule"
> :   (let ((h (/ (- b a) n))
> :         (x a)
> :         (sum (* 5d-1 (+ (funcall fn a) (funcall fn b)))))
> :     (loop for i from 1 below n do
> :           (incf x h)
> :           (incf sum (funcall fn x)))
> :     (* h sum)))
>
> : there is 1) no recursion and 2) no lone parentheses.
>
> And it demonstrates exactly what I was talking about.
> Following it by eye is a pain.  Unless I pull it up
> into a paren-matching editor, or make pencil-marks
> on it, I can't follow what matches to what (I can
> guess by the indentation, but if my purpose was to
> find a syntax error (missed a paren), then I can't
> rely on the whitespacing.)  Maybe it's just me.  When
> I see a repeating pattern, my mind tends to parse that
> as one solid object, so when I see ")))))", My low-level
> visual processor doesn't catalogue that as "five
> parentheses", but as "a block of ascii art with a curvy-
> line pattern, made out of parenthesis characters".  In
> other words, I catalogue it as a single object consisting
> of 'several' parenthesis.  To force my brain to actually
> COUNT them, I have to 'zoom in' my attention so I no longer
> think of the pattern.  Thus I can't see the big picture and
> the little picture at the same time like I can in C.  (This is
> really hard to try to explain in words.  I *liked* the
> functional style, as a learning tool, and I use it in C when it
> seems to make more sense that way, but the mega-parenthesis
> syntax alone is a showstopper for me with Lisp.)

That's why the rumor is that LISP stands for:

                Lotsa Insipid, Silly Parentheses.

> :> Also, keep in mind that at the time I was not using 'vi', since
> :> we had no manual on it available and the on-line man pages
> :> didn't tell you how to use it (only told about the commandline
> :> parameters to launch it).  The lack of a text editor with a
> :> parenthesis-match function may have been part of the reason
> :> why I got a bad taste for Lisp.  Doing it by eyeball was tricky.
>
> : you should have used emacs for lisp.
>
> I have other, unrelated reasons for not liking emacs.  I don't
> want to start that religious war here.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux web pads?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:31:01 GMT

I can't see that a web pad is anything but a laptop without a keyboard -
for some reason they've chosen to remove the least expensive but most
useful component of the laptop computer and call it a new product.

Feel free to disagree, but remember not to use a keyboard in composing
any rebuttal.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Date: 20 Feb 2001 01:50:34 GMT

Joseph T. Adams ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I'm not a "fundy" or any other kind of Christian, but I'd prefer ANY of
: them to ANY of their detractors.

Take your xtian moral crap and shove it where it belongs, up your arse. I
don't care to live in a theocracy. If I did, I could always move to Iran. A
xtian version of an Iran still sucks.

Anyways, you don't need any gods at all to have an operational moral compass.
Bush v.2.0 AND Gore both have a degaussed moral compass, and both idiots go to
church.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:45:40 GMT

"Reid Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:23:33 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> <lame flamebait deleted>
>
> you're obviously bucking for Allchin's job as ms-shill-of-the-millenium.
>
> *plonk*

Another asshole who refuses to prove me wrong. Settling, it appears,
with calling me names and burying his head back in the sand.

So far, the only refutes I've heard are "Well, it's the users fault",
or, "this is very unlikely", or other BS. So far, no one has said
"this doesn't happen". They're all potentially exploitable vulnerabilities
which still exist on a large number of SSH deployments.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:49:02 GMT

"Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96rrjo$mmo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Klaus-Georg Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> :> "Theo de Raadt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> :> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> :> >
> :> > > According to the trademark cease-and-desist letter sent to the OpenSSH
> :> > > folks from the SSH.com people, OpenSSH only uses the SSH1 protocol,
> :> > > but they may be wrong, I guess.
> :> >
> :> > Naw, I wouldn't just call you wrong.
> :> >
> :> > I'd go further and call you an argumentative net-kook idiot who can't
> :> > do his own research before opening his mouth and yammering bullshit.
> :>
> :> Well, so far I've posted several links and cited several readily
> :> available sources.
> :>
> :> What have you contributed besides infantile name calling and
> :> immature profanities?
> :>
> :> Do you wish to debate like an adult, or foam at the mouth like an
> :> idiot?
> :>
> :> Post a link refuting my claims. Barring that, shut up and go home.
>
> : This is just too funny to be true: Chad Myers accusing _Theo de Raadt_
> : of all persons of not contributing enough when speaking about SSH.
>

> Chad probably *still* doesn't know who Mr. de Raadt is.

I do.

So far, I think he's an ass. There are serious claims about his product,
claims that HE HIMSELF have made, but he refuses to address them; settling,
instead, for calling me names and acting like an immature idiot.

So far, no one has refuted my claims (which were basically that SSH isn't
secure and there are several exploitable vulnerabilities which exist
on a large number of installed SSH hosts). They continue to bash me,
call me names, and other infantile behaviors, but no one has addressed
these issues.

If this is how security issues are addressed in the Unix word, I thank
God I only use Windows for the most part.

Keep your head in the sand for all I care, it just shows your glaring
ignorance.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pop Quiz: Who made this statement 15 months ago?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:08:03 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > And they tie in so nicely with Microsoft saying that free software is
> > > un-American.
> >
> > "We are going to cut off their air supply. Everything they're selling,
> > we're going to give away for free."
> >                             -Microsoft Vice President Paul Maritz
>
> "We've got our boots on their throats. The right thing to do is to press
> until they stop breathing. If you're going to strike at the king, you better
> cut his head off."
>                                 -Sun Chief Lawyer Mike Morris

This would be a good illustration of the assertion that Sun would be an
equal oppressor if the company also held a monopoly.  What does it say
about Linux?

--
Non-Reciprocal Laws of Expectations:
        Negative expectations yield negative results.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:52:59 GMT

"Tim Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >However, given the numerous exploits and vulnerabilities available for
> >SSH in just the month of February this year, perhaps they should start
> >calling it "Not so secure shell" NSSSH.
>
> Typical Chad.  Those exploits in "just the month of February this year"
> are the complete set of all known exploits in SSH 1.  Name anything that
> has been out as long as SSH 1 and has anywhere near as good a security
> record.

I quote Tatu Ylonen:

"The confusion is made even worse by the fact that OpenSSH is also a
derivative of my original SSH Secure Shell product, and it still looks
very much like my product (without my approval for any of it, by the
way). The old SSH1 protocol and implementation are known to have
fundamental security problems, some of which have been described in
recent CERT vulnerability notices and various conference papers.
OpenSSH is doing a disservice to the whole Internet security community
by lengthening the life cycle of the fundamentally broken SSH1
protocols."

SSH 1 still seems to be install on a large number of hosts.

Is Tatu mistaken when he claims that his own product (I assume
he's from SSH.com, right?) is "fundamentally broken"?

OpenSSH still ships with SSH1 functionality (and SSH2, admittedly)

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "nuxx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:17:45 +0800

"Bloody Viking" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96sgqd$neh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> . ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : > Actually, a recent independent study (again, quoted by Microsoft Press
Corp,
> : > but still independently proven) has indicated that Microsoft's Win2k
servers
> : > can regularly incur up-time in the '5 9's' range.  99.999%.
>
> : Do you have a link for that?  Because that's *just* over 5 minutes a
> : year, and for all the bleating MS does, I've never talked to a 2k admin
> : (that I trust not to lie...  newsgroups? ha!) that would claim they only
> : need to reboot their machine once or twice a year.
>
> I'm sure a Linux LAN server could achieve that uptime, but not a Windows *
OS.
> For a Windows server to achieve that uptime, the machine will need a LOT
of
> memory for the inevitable memory leaks that eventually crash it. Cheap
> motherboards now can take up to a gigabyte of memory, sold separately of
> course. I don't know if a gig would delay the BSOD long enough to allow
only
> annual booting. Has anyone yet attempted to assemble such a machine to
test
> the theory?

Wrong.  I have a production NT4 database server that has been up for over 6
months and counting.  There are no memory leaks in the kernel.

nuxx

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:20:20 -0800
From: John Rudd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited

ZnU wrote:

> In article <96qs0b$7e0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > The only strings attached are that you must not make it less free.
> > Whereas with BSD software, a company can easily make it non free. With
> > GPL you always have the freedom.
>
> You can't take BSD code and make it non-free. You can make any changes
> _you_ make non-free. I'm sure you realize this, but it's an important
> distinction that needs to be highlighted. Even if someone takes BSD code
> and incorporates it into a proprietary project, that original code is
> still freely available.

I think you're splitting hairs, or missing the subtext.

No one said that "company A can take freebsd and make a product, and then
force freebsd.org to stop distributing freebsd".  They're saying "company A
can take freebsd and make a product called Absd, and make Absd non-free
non-open."

The GPL specifically prohibits that.  If company A takes a Linux
distribution (or any other GPL'ed software) and makes a product out of it,
they cannot then make that product a non-GPL entity.

I recall Jeremy Allison (of Samba fame) saying that early in his free
software career he did some things that were released with a BSD style
license, and he later saw proprietary releases of his code that didn't give
him any sort of compensation or thank you's or anything.  This made him
decide that in the future all of his work would be GPL'ed.

Note: you can do it both ways.  You can, if you own all of the code to a
body of software, release it under 2 licenses, one GPL and open source, and
one proprietary (and possibly closed).  Then you could give away the GPL
one, and let companies come pay you for access to the non-GPL version.
Alladin does something similar with Ghostscript (only both of their
licenses are free ... oen of them is GPL and the other is non-commercial
use ... new versions are non-commercial, and then when a new release comes
out the previous one moves from non-commercial to GPL).  The trick is that
you can't incorporate other people's GPL'ed contributions into your
proprietary version.  But this would, if you're careful to keep them
seperate, allow you to distribute one package under GPL, and make a
seperate package that is friendly to people who want to do proprietary
licensing.  But you do need to be careful about keeping them seperate
(perhaps doing the "old version is GPL'ed" trick, but "old version" could
mean "yesterday's code").

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: 19 Feb 2001 19:20:59 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Scott TOK) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Craig Kelley  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >And Bush scored above the 90th percentile of those that took the
> >test.
>
> If this is true than it just means everyone else are morons too.  When I
> took it (1974) my scores of 650(verbal)/780(math) were too weak to get
> into places like Stanford (the 650 was only 33rd pctile or so for
> Stanford!).
>
> If I recall right the 650 was about 89th or 90th pctile.

I never took the SAT, but my ACT score (30) was in the 97th
percentile.  I don't condescend to call others morons because of it.

Also, more than half of the students that go to high school never even
take these tests, so these percentile rankings are ratios of the other
less-than-half that bothered (ie, you can half the difference to get a
better generalization).  You're basically saying that 39 in 40 people
are morons, on average.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:21:26 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ziya Oz"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edwin wrote:
>
>>> Software that comes unattached, without conditions, strings and
>>> dependencies...as in "free" and not GPLed.
>>
>> You're thinking of Public Domain Software.
>
> No, I'm thinking of "free" software, as I described it. It's the GPL
> zealots who pollute the language with their double speak. Why should we
> let them decide what "free" is?

Before flaming and trolling, use a fscking English dictionary.

-Ed

--
disclaimer. I am very pissed.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:24:06 -0800
From: John Rudd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> According to convetion, I would assume that he, like most people, think that
> about free software as *free*.
> IE, cost no money.
> YMMV, but that is what I think when I see the word free.

So, your right to free speech is the right to not pay to speak?

When Lincoln freed the slaves, he was merely marking down their cost?

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:25:08 GMT

Neil W Rickert wrote:

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >All wrappings around Telnet. In the end, it's just telnet. It's utilities
> >to make telnet more available, but isn't really an improvement on telnet.
> >In the end, the user is still just telnetting.
>
> I think we have all been unfair to Chad.
>
> What he obviously means, is that SSH is not a crash-prone
> virus-susceptible bloatware GUI for dummies.

Is that all he needs?  I can recommend one of those!

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: 19 Feb 2001 19:25:10 -0700

"Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Especially when ONE $100 copy of a "professional" grade Linux
> > distribution can be ***LEGALLY*** loaded onto every machine
> > at a 1500 desktop facility.
>
> Can't imagine this actually happening though - more likely that
> each department in the company would get their own copy.
> Can you imagine how hard it will be to find the CD if any machine
> needs re-installing if only 1 copy exists (of course 1 CD-R per
> department all burned from the 1 master is also possible).

insert floppy
start FTP install

We make it policy to buy at least one copy of our distribution of
choice every year; but we never even open the packaging because it's
usually out of date by the time we get it.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 20 Feb 2001 02:25:48 GMT

Steve Mading ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Regardless of *why* this is the case, it was pushed for many
: years (when I was being taught grammar) as *the only* correct way.
: I know that this has changed recently.  I chose this example on
: purpose because it was one that was less controversial (the decision
: to drop the illogical usage has already gained public acceptance).
: Had I picked a grammer rule that was still in use today, people wouldn't
: have been as likely to see the wisdom in deliberately spurning it.

I have my own spelling and grammar quirks. For example, I tend to use British
spelling or certain nonamerican slang. A special case is newsgroup or site
names where you have to avoid adding characters to it like a dot. For example,
I may write something like "the alt.destroy.microsoft newsgroup"

In real life, I spell and use grammar as I do online, which means some papers
at work contain my British spelling. And I refer to the last letter of the
alphabet as a _ZED_, not a "zee".