Linux-Advocacy Digest #449, Volume #28           Thu, 17 Aug 00 05:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.          Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.          Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Gutenberg (Richard)
  Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right! (Truckasaurus)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says Linux
growth stagnating
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says Linux
growth stagnating
  Re: news article
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls
and Authentic Linvocates)
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls
and Authentic Linvocates)
  Re: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right! ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right! ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls
and Authentic Linvocates) ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous  Wintrolls
and Authentic Linvocates) ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: It's official, Microsoft® porting applications to Linux (Ray Chason)
  Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE) (Ray Chason)
  Re: Gutenberg ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: So ya' wanna' run Linux?...I have a bridge for sale in Bklyn..... ("Spud")
  Re: R.E. Ballard says Linux growth stagnating ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious.... ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It? ("Christopher Smith")

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.          Ballard
     says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:07:00 -0400

Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>
>> Is it really a bad thing, as long as they're all 'Linux'?  If you're
>> referring to some signs in Mandrake and PPC of *kernel* fragmentation, I
>> guess that's a different issue.
>
> Yes, THAT is what I was referring to, kernel fragmentation.

Well, I'd have to say "yuck", because I know what kind of mess that will
be.  But honestly, if the market demands that the kernel fragment, then
so be it.  Is there any real *value* to maintaining (artificially, by
definition) a single kernel?  Isn't a fragmented Linux kernel still at
least somewhat preferable to broad incompatibility?  IOW, better
multiple Linux OS's than simply multiple OS's, IMHO.

That way, the geeks can keep their optimal engineering while the masses
enjoy their flashy-and-easy pablum, with still some chance at
intercompatibility.  The best of all possible worlds, I think.

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:09:15 -0400

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>>    [...]
>> >I concur with all of this.  If Linux does fragment it will because of
>> >outside influences.  The problem is that the fragmentation may already be
>> >starting.  I have already seen some signs of it with Mandrake and Linux PPC.
>>
>> I think fragmentation is not only inevitable, it is optimal.  As much as
>
>Quite true.  That's why, technologically,  the Unix-hoard runs FAR
>ahead of M$-ware, and the gap is widening all the time.

I agree.  I wanted to say it at the time, but thought it might be too
distracting.  The fact that Unix "fragmented" is why it is so widely
supported.  Had it remained a single unified OS, it would be a
pseudo-mainframe curiosity, not the de facto standard.  ;-)

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gutenberg
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:15:47 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Stephen Coursen wrote:
> > > Proper quote:
> > > "Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" --
> > >     Ralph Waldo Emerson
> >
> > <grin> I know. Why do you think I didn't attribute it?
>
> So, in other words, you ADMIT to bowdlerizing the quote for your
> own purposes.

Please *do* explain how I attempted to mislead. Have I misrepresented
anyone? Or merely represented myself? Exactly what part of "Why do you
think I didn't attribute it?" are you too stupid to understand? Oh wait,
that's right; if you don't like someone then that *must* be because they
are deceitful and evil, right?

> Intellectually dishonest piece of shit...

Small-minded petty moron.

Man, what the fuck is it with you and your stupid sig? Are you so
arrogant and self-important that you think anyone gives a shit
whether or not you're flamed by some asshole?

------------------------------

From: Truckasaurus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right!
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:18:26 GMT

So, to all you Windows advocates, who have claimed that the Linux/Open
Source communities will fragment and drown in quarrelling:

http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO48629,00.html:

"Unix vendors adopt Gnome desktop

By DOMINIQUE DECKMYN
(August 16, 2000) Desktop Linux gained momentum on the first day of
LinuxWorld in San Jose, as vendors including Red Hat Inc., Hewlett-
Packard Co., IBM, Compaq Computer Corp., Sun Microsystems Inc. and VA
Linux Systems Inc. joined to form the Gnome Foundation."

Not only is Gnome manifesting itself as a popular Desktop environment
in Linux - Gnome seems to bind different UNIX vendors together, where
we all know that the (commercial) UNIX commuity is traditionally a
fragmented one.

In your face, Windows advocates! Linux fragmentation my butt!

--
"Hello, everybody!"
- Doctor Nick

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says
Linux growth stagnating
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:31:57 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Nawwww...
>
> He's just a wacko that thinks he sees spacemen and then when he sobers
> up posts a flurry of subsequent post's claiming he was only kidding
> and it was a GoodYear blimp after all...
>
> A true nut....

You are getting better, at least you are nolonger pretenting that the first
post told the whole story.  Now if you would only get the rest of the story
right.  By acknowledging that much knowledge of the thread you have admitted
your dishonesty.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux growth stagnating
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:28:06 -0700

fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2000 14:43:43 -0700, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >I agree that there seems some motivating factor beyond just advocacy of
an
> >OS they use and appriciate.  I don't claim to know what the motivating
> >factor is, but it does seem to exist.
>
> Perhaps there is.  But why is it that you keep frequenting the NT
> advocacy group?

Actually I don't as a rule; however crossposted threads that I respond to
may make it look that way.

> >Having a position in the ownership of the manufacturer of the OS.
>
> So you own stock in Redhat, I take it?

No, on all counts,  including that Redhat does not Manufacturer Linux, I for
one just started with Linux before Redhat existed.

> >Don't dismiss the possibility of being paid to be a winvocate or a
wintroll.
> >I would not be too supprised of that possibility since Microsoft has
already
> >done worse than that and through use of thier resources, they have been
able
> >to avoid paying the price for their actions.
>
> I love this!
>
> >Sometimes one of the best ways to avoid being implicated in an action is
by
> >making it appear that it would be against your best interest to take the
> >action.  I am not saying it is the case, but that it could be the case
that
> >Microsoft is paying the some of the winvocates/wintrolls to post, and the
> >over-the-top styles on purpose to deflect suspicion away from Microsoft's
> >complicity.
>
> Come on, keep the foam coming...

None of that is Linux or windows specific, it applies to any situation when
performing an analysis of motivation.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: news article
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:27:14 -0700

Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > The difference is, with Linux, no one is trying to hide the known
> > > problems.  Would someone please tell David about the "Windows has
> > > <insert-huge-number-here> 'defects' story"?  I can't remember the
> > > details of it anymore.
> >
> > Are you referring to the 63,000 known bugs in Windows 2000 that
Microsoft
> > solved by reclassifing them as issues?
>
> Ashton-Tate used to call them "anomolies."

Many think Borland went to hell after they took in Ashton-Tate.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re: Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:48:41 -0700

Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ne7hg$bk2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Sheesh.  First you use TWM, and now mc running in an *xterm* ?

No, I never said I was using TWM.

> And you wonder why people accuse you of "cheating" ?

If the finctionality is equivalent, where is the cheating?

> Explorer can and has done that since IE4.

Again, talking about the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) NOT Internet
Explorer.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 23:43:43 -0700

Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ne78p$tuh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> It would be like me saying Linux is an absolute pig, because DOS uses so
> much less memory.

You said it, I didn't!

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right!
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:10:42 -0500

The KDE people do not seem to be taking this lying down.  There is probably
going to be an all-out war soon.  The days of peaceful cooperation between
KDE and GNOME are probably over.

news:8ng3jn$vif$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:07:59 +1000

"Truckasaurus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ng3jn$vif$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> So, to all you Windows advocates, who have claimed that the Linux/Open
> Source communities will fragment and drown in quarrelling:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO48629,00.html:
>
> "Unix vendors adopt Gnome desktop
>
> By DOMINIQUE DECKMYN
> (August 16, 2000) Desktop Linux gained momentum on the first day of
> LinuxWorld in San Jose, as vendors including Red Hat Inc., Hewlett-
> Packard Co., IBM, Compaq Computer Corp., Sun Microsystems Inc. and VA
> Linux Systems Inc. joined to form the Gnome Foundation."
>
> Not only is Gnome manifesting itself as a popular Desktop environment
> in Linux - Gnome seems to bind different UNIX vendors together, where
> we all know that the (commercial) UNIX commuity is traditionally a
> fragmented one.
>
> In your face, Windows advocates! Linux fragmentation my butt!

What of KDE ?

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:09:40 +1000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8ng5jh$uv4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8ne7hg$bk2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Sheesh.  First you use TWM, and now mc running in an *xterm* ?
>
> No, I never said I was using TWM.

My bad, it was fvwm, was it not ?

> > And you wonder why people accuse you of "cheating" ?
>
> If the finctionality is equivalent, where is the cheating?

Because the functionality *isn't* the same - that's the point.

> > Explorer can and has done that since IE4.
>
> Again, talking about the Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) NOT Internet
> Explorer.

It is normal explorer, using the IE component from within it.

Or would you prefer good ol' wheel-reinventing and have FTP implemented in
explorer *and* internet explorer ?

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:32:27 +1000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8nfnpv$nnc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8ne766$vvm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > It was also supposed to support
> > > multiple logins like unix does.
> >
> > It does and always has.
> >
> > Or are we going to get the "doesn't ship with a telnet server" argument
> > again ?
>
> What about terminals connected through serial ports?  Does it support that
> out of the box as the prerelease papers stated?

Is there any existing documentation of supporting that, actually close to
release ?

> > > Rememer, NT was going to be the better unix than unix.
> >
> > No, it wasn't.  It was meant to replace Novell, not Unix (something at
> which
> > it has done exceedingly well - now Microsoft have decided to take aim on
> > Unix).
>
> That was the slogan on the banners at a Windows software development
seminar
> being host by Microsoft prior the the public release of NT.

Funny how pretty much everyone else remembers it as an off the cuff remark
by Gates....

> Don't you mean
> to take aim on Unix again?

NT was originally supposed to replace Novell.  Why would Microsoft have even
cared about the Unix market way back then ?

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: It's official, Microsoft® porting applications to Linux
Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:37:27 GMT

Milton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In a desperate attempt, to regain some legitimacy in the high-tech
>software arena, Microsoft® is letting a an experienced 3rd party,
>Mainsoft, port it's applications to the state of the art operating
>system, Linux.
>
>The results, so far, have been disappointing.
>
>Brought to you by Windows 2000 Magazine
>http://www.wininformant.com/display.asp?ID=2874

Color me cynical, but it seems to me that it'd be just like Microsoft to
deliberately make a hash of a Linux port, and then use this "failure" to
spread FUD.

But, just in case this effort is in good faith:  the article notes that

# The complicated undertaking...requires the companies to map native
# Win32 API calls to the Linux equivalents so that Windows applications
# will run normally in that environment.

This is exactly what Wine is trying to do.  If Microsoft is undertaking
this effort in good faith, perhaps they could lend a few tips to the Wine
people -- and without sneaky licensing terms such as they tried to pull
with their version of Kerberos.

The article further notes that

# ...most Microsoft applications--especially those in the Office suite--
# use a number of proprietary interfaces...

Didn't Microsoft deny this in court?

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS advertising in the movies... (was Re: Microsoft MCSE)
Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:46:04 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have see Jack of All Trades in the T.V. listings but have never tried the
>show since in this areas is stuck on teh same station and day as Hercules,
>Xexna, etc.  Is it made by the same production company?

Usually "Back 2 Back Action" (Cleopatra 2525 and Jack of All Trades, each
a half-hour show) airs in time slots formerly reserved for Hercules, which
is no longer being filmed.  And yes, it comes from the same company.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:21:06 -0400

Richard wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > Richard wrote:
> > >
> > > <grin> I know. Why do you think I didn't attribute it?
> >
> > So, in other words, you ADMIT to bowdlerizing the quote for your
> > own purposes.
>
> Please *do* explain how I attempted to mislead. Have I misrepresented

You dropped the KEY WORD "FOOLISH" from the original quote.

> anyone? Or merely represented myself? Exactly what part of "Why do you
> think I didn't attribute it?" are you too stupid to understand? Oh wait,
> that's right; if you don't like someone then that *must* be because they
> are deceitful and evil, right?

Yes, you are deceitful.  You knew the proper quote, yet deliberately
pawned off the misquote, hiding behind the pathetically lame excuse
of "Why do you think I didn't attribute it?"

> > Intellectually dishonest piece of shit...
>
> Small-minded petty moron.

If I'm such a moron, then why did I spot your deliberate MISquote???

Hmmmmmmmm???

> Man, what the fuck is it with you and your stupid sig? Are you so

What, are you jealous because you're not on it?

> arrogant and self-important that you think anyone gives a shit
> whether or not you're flamed by some asshole?

That's my prerogative.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Spud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So ya' wanna' run Linux?...I have a bridge for sale in Bklyn.....
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 01:33:18 -0700

[snips]

"Nico Coetzee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > Throw out your Win Scanner.
>
> Scanners in homes are just paper weights. Real graphic designers use high
tech
> stuff.

Really?  Funny; ours is used in largish part to help generate several
hundred dollars a month in extra revenue - at home.  Guess we're just
idiots, actually _using_ the fool thing, instead of just keeping paper under
it.

> > Use half the features of your soundcard.
>
> The PC was never indented to be a hi-fi. Yet I have coupled my 16 bit
sound card to
> my hi fi for the odd game. I really do not see your point here...

Simple; if I spend $200 on a sound card capable of X number of features,
it's because I _want_ that number of features.  If I didn't, I would have
bought a cheaper card.

> Get your facts straight, please.

What, like scanners in the home being paper weights?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: R.E. Ballard says Linux growth stagnating
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:27:20 -0400

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Byrns) wrote in
> <_CLm5.4380$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> 8<SNIP>8
>
> >> How would an experiment with no business impact affect the price of
> >> stock?
> >
> >Don't worry, Aaron will threaten your life soon too.  He does that with
> >everyone that proves him wrong.  After all he *IS* RAMBO.
>
> Hey, back off Byrns!  He's 'leet!

Cool.  this will increase the efficiency of anti-propaganda efforts
aimed at Stephen's bullshit.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BASIC == Beginners language (Was: Just curious....
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:27:55 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>    [...]
> >BASIC only *LOOKS* easier.
> >
> >In fact, it's more difficult.  Proof of this is the fact that you will
> >not find ANY large applications written in BASIC, even though
> >compilers for the language have existed for 20 years.
>
> That depends on what you mean by "easier".  Easier to develop large
> applications in?  Certainly not.  How many times must I point out that
> my interest is not in application development, but simple desktop
> automation?  You don't *need* much more than BASIC for macros!

But for that, Korn Shell is MUCH easier.

> I think most of 'you' who know "programming languages" are simply unable
> to grasp the concept of an "end user automation language", and that's
> the only thing I've ever considered or described BASIC as being good
> for.
>
> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
>    of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
>        Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:48:43 +1000

"Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Christopher Smith wrote:
> >"rj friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:04:02 "Christopher Smith"
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> ¯...since I disgree with the law in principle and consider
> >> ¯most of the evidence to be irrelevant, it's hardly surprising I have a
> >> ¯different opinion to you, no ?
> >>
> >> The United States of America - and the European Common
> >> Market - and China - and Japan - and India - all say that
> >> your 'different opinion' is full of shit.
> >
> >You mean, their legal systems.  I sincerely doubt everyone in those
> >countries agrees on that point.
>
> Duh.
>
> >I fear I've been too subtle in trying to say arguments along the line of
> >"but they broke the law" don't carry too much weight with me.
>
> Then let me be clear - your opinion has NO weight.  why?  You don't like
the
> laws and you ignore the principles on which we establish facts and truth.
> Fine.  Okay.

If you think my opinion has no weight because I disagree with the law, then
I can't think why you are worth discussing anything with at all.

I imagine there's quite a few laws (and/or convictions) you have disgreed
with over time - did your opinion carry no weight then ?

> It is very important to understand how extreme and unreasonable one has to
be
> to hold your pro MS beliefs.

You mistake "not anti-MS beliefs" with "pro MS beliefs".  Microsoft are just
another company, no worse, better or different to IBM, Apple, Corel etc etc.
They're all after the same thing.