From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: KDE2
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:49:04 +0100

It was the Sat, 25 Nov 2000 22:06:21 +0100...
...and Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matthias Warkus wrote:
>
> > It was the Sat, 25 Nov 2000 13:53:33 GMT...
> > ...and Xavi Solsona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >    I think this piece of software (KDE2) will help a lot
> > > to bring several desktop Windows users to GNU/Linux.
> > > Welcome to new distributions with 2.4 and KDE2 by
> > > default (I consider GNOME inferior nowadays)
> >
> > Why?
>
> - Crashes a lot

What in GNOME crashes a lot? I haven't seen any non-alpha GNOME stuff
crash in months.

> - programmed in C (Jeeezzz in this day and age )

What's wrong about C?

> - Inferiour toolkit

How so?

> - KDE clone

Bullshit.

> - Overhyped

Bullshit.

> - MS copyers

Bullshit.

> - Miguel

Right.

> - American product

How so?

mawa
--
Vous voulez qu'on évite un soin trop curieux,
Et des vains ornements l'effort ambitieux.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:46:27 -0500

Giuliano Colla wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Doh - the market barriers are to high thus there is no
> > > viable competition.
> > >
> > > Please try to understand this - it's fundamental to
> > > how monopolies operate.
> > >
> > > The barriers are not technical so a different technical solution
> > > does not enable to monopoly to be broken.
> > >
> > > These concepts are really not that difficult.
> >
> > What prevent the iceland goverment from localizing linux, for example?
> > What bussiness barriers?
>
> Maybe you forget that the only viable alternative to Windows exists only
> because it escapes the normal market rules, being a free product, and
> therefore it is, for a certain amount, protected against monopoly.
> If you develop for free, you don't expect any return from an investment,
> so you may do what no industrial investor in his mind would ever do.
> But this makes the situation quite unusual.
> Can you tell to whom iceland government could have addressed to get a
> localized Linux version? Which cannot be sold, because of GPL license?
>
> Only way is Reykjavik University, provided it has the necessary
> resources available, which, given Iceland size, is rather unlikely.
>
> If you take a different case, Chinese government has selected Linux, but
> China is large enough to allow for a government subsidized development
> team which may undertake and maintain localized versions. Moreover it's
> possible that China doesn't give a damn about GPL.

Since they are a communist country, the state owns everything
possessed by Chinese citizens anyway...so, there is no real 'sale'
involved.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:06:24 -0800

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:38:39 -0800, matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : : KDE2 comes with 15 themes, each of which can be configured using bg and
> : fg
> : : color settings.  Also, all installed gnome themes are immediatly
> : available to : use.
>
> There's no such thing as a "gnome theme".  GNOME is a modular architecture,
> which does not center around any particular window manager (yes, I know you
> can run E or blackbox under KDE, but it's not well-integrated).  You have
> Gtk+ themes, which control the style in which your Gtk+ widgets are drawn
> throughout the system, and you also have themes for whatever your choice
> of window manager is, be it the default Sawfish, IceWM, WindowMaker,
> Enlightenment, XFce, or even AfterStep.  All of these WMs are
> GNOME-compliant, and integrate nearly equally well.  Sawfish does have
> slightly better integration - after all, it was written by people heavily
> involved in the GNOME project.

I meant a gtk+ theme.

> : : I have found KDE2 to be much more responsive on slower machines.
> : Unfortunatly, : most KDE2 packages are compiled with exceptions enabled
> : which takes a lot of
> : : memory and processor time.  This problem has since been solved and
> : hopefully : will not occur in the future.
>
> Is this the case with the Debian packages?

Not sure?

> : : I have never had a problem with C++, issues regarding the ABI belong to
> : the
> : : gcc developers and I will respect their decision.  Compilers only become
> : : mature when they are tested, and KDE is proving that C++ is great for gui
> : : programming and they are testing the compiler.
>
> Yes, you don't have a problem because you've got what, one or two machines?
> Think about it from the perspective of the Debian people, or RedHat, or any
> other distribution vendor.  Binary incompatability == recompile everything
> written in C++, or link it statically.

Claiming that writing programs in C++ because the ABI is just now becoming
mature is counterproductive.  If people only used languages that had mature
compilers there would never be any new languages and we would still be doing
systems programming in asm.

> : > : > gnome-vfs,
> : : I assume that this stands for gnome- virtual file system.  Does this mean
> : a
> : : filesystem within a file?  What happened to mounting a using loopback.
>
> No, it's a common set of methods for file operations regardless of whether
> they are on a local filesystem or not.

KDE does this and more.  This is where IOSlaves come in.
I can open up KWrite( or any other kde app) and Click File->Open, then type in
http://www.slashdot.org.  A progress bar pops up and a few seconds later I am
staring at the source code of www.slashdot.org( syntax highlighted by the
way).  Can you do this with any of your gnome apps?

> : > : > bonobo
> : : KDE has kparts for embedable components and dcop for desktop
> : communication.
>
> Is kparts CORBA-based?  I've looked at the developer.kde.org info on kparts.
> It supports network transparency for *document operations*.  How about some
> network transparency for the objects???

No, Corba proved to be to big and slow for embedable components, so the came
up with kparts.  I don't know what you mean network transparency for objects?
When would you open a document using a part that is not on your own computer.
This seems like unusable overkill.  If I need a plugin to open some kind of
document I will install it.

> : > : > oaf medusa
> : : I don't know what these are?
>
> oaf == Object activation framework.  It's the GNOME 2.0 replacement for
> gnorba.  Each server registers itself using an XML format.  When an
> application requires a specific kind of service, it performs an OAF query,
> and finds the object(s) it needs to instantiate to service its request.

This is the same as dcop. It uses xml and can communicate with any program
using any language.

> : > : > or GConf.
> : :
> : : Kcontrol.
>
> Nothing of the kind.  GConf provides applications a simple, consistent
> interface to store and retrieve configuration data.  Kcontrol is just a
> control panel, not unlike gnomecc.

I see what you are talking about now.
KDE has something similar called KConfig.  It works very well.
Here is a small example, this code is pulled straight out of Kedit.

void TopLevel::readProperties(KConfig* config){
    QString filename = config->readEntry("filename","");
    int modified = config->readNumEntry("modified",0);
    int line = config->readNumEntry("current_line", 0);
    int col = config->readNumEntry("current_column", 0);

> : : The KDE project never stumbled with QT.
>
> Perhaps you were locked in a closet when that whole mess started???
The people that were actually writing the code just kept on writing.  It was
the slashdot croud and the debian people that made a fit about it.  I am very
glad that it is over anyway.

> : : A great Web Browser that supports many standards and is getting better
> : every : day without accumulating bloat.
>
> I'd agree that Konqueror is a nice browser.  It's a shame I've got to install
> almost the entire KDE distribution just to get that.  Fortunately, galeon is
> getting better all the time.

Will galeon support embedable components, it is nice to be able to view
images, pdf files, text files, Office documents, and anything else with a
plugin.

> : : A promising office suite
>
> You mean like the gnome-office apps? (abiword, evolution, dia, gnumeric)

> : : Truly fast theming because themes can be programmed instead of just
> : pixmaps
>
> Oh, like gtk-engines?  It's good to see the KDE team catching up in that
> area!

Yes, but KDE supports both KDE and gtk themes.

Matt Newell

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 Quick Review
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:49:16 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That's what I did but there is something wrong with the image.

Like what?

You used the Sony image for a Panasonic CD-ROM?

> claire
>
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:42:44 -0800, Pan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> After failing to get the Cheapbytes version to install on my laptop
> >> via a bootdisk because CDROM is not bootable,
> >
> >Why didn't you use dosutils and make your own bootdisk with rawrite?  It
> >takes about 30 seconds.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:49:52 -0500

mark wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >mark wrote:

> <big big snip>

> >> equation markup is being worked on, it is not yet stable or
> >> in production browsers that I'm aware of.

> >> What exactly is 'complex page formatting'?  If this is trying
> >> to put characters or objects at specific points on a page,
> >> I would point out that the nightmares caused by docs written
> >> for eg., letter size paper that are printed on eg., A4 are
> >> , well, nightmares.  It's just bad writing style.
> >>
> >> This is where the concept of a markup language is so far
> >> away from the traditional word-processor.
> >>
> >> It's probably also why word processor usage is dying a
> >> rapid and in my view timely death in my organisation.

> >> Trying to substitute a word processor for writing in HTML is
> >> short-sighted - document access technology has massively moved
> >> on.  It's interesting to note that people over about 45 still
> >> tend to print their documents to read them - people under
> >> that age tend to do it on-screen.
> >
> >I'm in the middle...it depends on the document.
> >
> >Short documents, I read on screen.
> >
> >Long documents...I want to print and read on the couch,
> >(unless I'm just looking for a specific bit of info).
> >

> Ah, there's always a fine structure to any apparently
> firm division when you look close enough.
>
> This has been the bugbear of atomic physics since atoms
> were found...

heheheheheh

> Mark

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:51:40 -0800

> > > Some of the technical merits that KDE provides:
> > >
> > > Network transparency to the programmer and user.
>
> It's X (not KDE) that provides the network transparency (for graphics at
> any rate)

I was referring to network transparent file access. Not network transparent
graphics.

> > > IOSlaves allow flexable IO from any kind of devices( You can now rip cd's
> > by
>
> UNIX provides this with it's `everything is a file' idea.

Yes, but not to a truly universal extent.  There is no way to open a file over
an ftp connection by just opening a regular file. This is being implemented
for the HURD.  With the HURD you can open
/ftp/ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4test11.tar.bz2 and it would
be opening that file from the ftp site.  It would be nice if linux would
support this.  KDE does this by allowing you to open files that are on the
network just like they are local.  I can open a KWrite(text editor) window and
type http://www.slashdot.org in the Open File Diolog and it will display the
source code from www.slashdot.org.  It also can do samba, ftp, audiocd( it
will digitally extract the wav files using cdparanoia), and others.

Matt Newell

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:59:38 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> mark wrote:
> >
> > In article <8K5U5.26660$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pete Goodwin wrote:
> > >
> > >One bug? I've logged a few more than one. I've seen konqueror crash,
> > >kcontrol crash and the whole machine lockup tight.
> >
> > Now, I wonder that lockup tight means?  We know that a KDE app
> > _might_ cause a KDE problem.  We know that KDE _might_ cause an
> > X problem.  We know that an X problem will not stop the machine.
>
> An X problem /can/ stop the machine. I've never seen it happen. I've
> only lost my X server a few times (once?) in the last 2 years. I've
> never crashed the computer. Strangely, the only people who suffer from
> frequent X lockups and frequent computer lockups as a result are the Win
> trolls. Odd.

Projection.

> -Ed
>

> > Mark
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold | Edward
> Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?      | u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                    | @
>                                                            | eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Insite into Linux Kernel 2.4
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:00:50 -0800

> Yea, it does... But i'm worried about capatibilty.. I would love to use
> 2.4, with the new features and performance enhancments, but it looks like
> it will break the capatablity line with 2.2 binaries and OS structures.  I
> hope not...but...oh well
>
> kiwiunixman wrote:
>
> > > Below is a fairly complete analysis of Linux 2.4 for the Intel Plaform:
> >>
> > > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-11-23-017-06-NW-LF-KN
> >>
> > > Looks like a complete kernel overhaul, USB support, new devfs and loads
> > > of performance improvements, looks very promising.
> >>
> > > kiwiunixman
>
> --
> Matthew Soltysiak
> Comp Sci/Soft Eng
> ICQ: 3063118

I use 2.4 test kernels full time and the only thing that I have upgraded is
modutils and ppp. Everything works great and I can't wait until 2.4 is
released because then I will be able to try out all the new stuff going into
2.5.

Matt Newell

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:04:40 -0500

Mike wrote:

> [...]
> > it's NT or some other sh*t.  How many times have we seen this scenario:
> > you are happily working at your workstation, which is running a nice OS,
> > such as Solaris, BSD, or Linux.  That fatassed, balding manager comes in
> > and says "Alright, all the Suns, DECs, and PC Workstations running Linux
> > are history!  We're going to be running wonderful, state of the art,
> > easy to use, user-friendly PC's running NT!  Isn't that great?"
> >
> > Hell no, it isn't great.  And I can name quite a few companies that have
> > ditched their SPARCstations for PC's running NT.  The reason, I'm told,
> > is that a lot of software has been ported from unix to NT!  Oh wow, and
> > this is a good reason to switch?  Yechhhh....
> >
> > Another reason I'm told that unix boxes are being replaced by Windows NT
> > machines is that well, you really don't need unix unless you need
> > ultra-high computational performance.  Plus, Windows NT is so amazing
> > with it's ultra-revolutionary clipboard.  Check this out:  you can copy
> > data to the clipboard, you can go to another application, and you get to
> > select which format you want to paste FROM, such as MS-Word, text,
> > bitmap, etc. etc.  Yes, someone did tell me this.  Managers love this
> > all important OLE feature MS operating systems offer.
> >
> > I had an interview recently, and the guy asked me which word processor I
> > liked to use.  I said that, in a nutshell, I think word processors
> > suck.  I told him I used html and LaTeX as a substitute.  His eyes got
> > all BIG and stuff, and he just sat there, frozen, smiling incrediously,
> > with his eyes big as baseballs.  You just knew what he was thinking:
> > "WHAT??????!!!!!  He doesn't use Microsoft Word?"  And the worst part
> > about it is, for most jobs, they look down on you if you refuse to use
> > Word, as if using Microsoft Word is a prerequisite for computer
> > literacy.
> >
> > Yeah, I know, I'm going to get slammed for not being "open-minded".
> > Screw that, though....
>
> I'm not sure where you've ever worked as an electrical engineer, or tried to
> work as an EE, but the EE world runs on Unix, and will for the foreseeable
> future. There are some areas that have migrated to Windows, but not many. In
> the integrated circuits field, where I work, the only OS in prevalent use is
> Unix. Within that category, Solaris is the most common, followed by HPUX. I
> have never talked to, interviewed with, or dealt with any company that isn't
> running either Solaris or HPUX as their primary engineering platform.
> Although some applications are available on NT/2k, there aren't enough to
> get the entire job done. In addition, and just as significant, all of our
> software people know Unix already. This might become a smaller concern in
> the future, as languages like Perl and Python become more pervasive, but for
> today, knowing the intricacies (and idiosyncracies) of Unix over NT is
> enough to keep Unix locked in, regardless of any other argument.

Actually, what I like about Unix is that is amazingly FREE of
idiosyncracies.  (idio- = not-rational)

MS platforms, on the other hand, are chock full of idiosyncracies.

Such as...why does a bytestream require a different, unique "write()"
type function call, depending upon whether the output is to a
serial port, a parallel port, a file, a sound card, etc. etc.

That is VERY idiosyncratic.  In contrast, the the Unix way (every
bytestream is processed with the same tools) is idiosyncracy-free.

> While html and LaTex might seem like a viable substitute to you, they don't
> to me. When I write a spec, it has to be usable by others within my company
> and my customers. Neither html or LaTex fills that role today. You might try
> presenting a LaTex document to a customer, but when I send them a file they
> can open and use today, I have the upper hand. And you're toast.
>
> I think the reason you haven't been hired has little to do with Windows.
>
> -- Mike --

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.