From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux and Free Internet?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 16:55:56 GMT

http://industry.java.sun.com/javanews/stories/story2/0,1072,27296,00.htm

> I've never used the service personally.

Well, he's right, those two news reports (which are actually the same
news report: www.internetnews.com produced the report and it was
published in two locations) indicate that NetZero claims it has free
ISP access for Linux.

I've written them as a previous NetZero user and asked to be "let back
in".  With any luck, I'll get a response I can share with the ng.

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 17:04:49 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Another M$ Troll (droll?)

http://boss.afr.com.au/people/20001003/A30068-2000Oct3.html

afr.com is the Web site of the Australian Financial
Review, a daily financial newspaper. And no, "accessable"
is not a spelling mistake:  some bright bulbs at McQuarie
university in New South Wales decided Australia needed
an Australian dictionary, and decided to rationalize
the spelling. So you end up with "accessable". I don't
know if they made incomprehensible "incomprehensable",
I don't own a McQuarie dictionary and never will --
I wouldn't even _steal_ one. The thought processes of
the local M$ honcho, Houghton, appear to be about on par with
the McQuarie dictionary.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Migration --> NT costing please :-)
Date: 4 Oct 2000 12:18:04 -0500

"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8recd9$lr9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi all,
>
> I've just set up two dual-processor Redhat GNU/Linux 7 computers both
> booting with RAID1 for high reliability. I am also making use of the newly
> GPLed MySQL on both computers.
>
> One computer provides NAT and IPChains firewalling services. Both also
> provide an Apache/PHP development environment.
>
> To set this all up has cost $0 for the software. Knowing that Microsoft
> provides a lower total cost of ownership ;-) I'd be interested to know
what it
> would cost to move these computers to a full Microsoft solution.
>
> It appears I would need this software:
>
> 1) 2xNT4 or Window 2000 Server licenses to provide RAID1 on both
computers.
> 2) 4xCPU licences for MS-SQL.
> 3) 1xMS Proxy Server(?)
> 4) 1xOffice 2000 Premium for Mail client, Frontpage, etc.

Actually, you need only two copies of Windows 2000 professional - this will
provide you with the RAID and NAT functionality plus IIS for web
development. You could run apache on this if you wanted to. You could run
server if you wanted increased functionality. You do not need to have CPU
licenses for SQL server, why not individual CALs - it'd be cheaper. And
probably only one SQL server accessible from both machines - why do you need
two seperate instances? Office 2000 premium might be overkill - depends on
your real needs. Outlook Express is a mail/news client included free with
W2K. Frontpage is available seperately much cheaper than the jump to
Premium. Premium is worth it only if you intend to use the rest of the full
O2K suite.

Yes - you'll actually have to spend >$0 on a legit MS solution. yep...

> Now there will be advantages/disadvantages to both configurations. But is
> the software cost differential and loss of freedom really worth it?
>
> Who really believes MS provides a lower TCO?

But, see that "T" in TCO? It's not "CO" which is what your describing here.
Sure, it cost $0 "CO" for the open sores(tm) version versus >$0 "CO" for the
MS solution but you asked about "TCO" - TOTAL cost of ownership. Ahhhhh...
see, after you've got these stacks of CDs sitting there and it comes time to
actually install, configure and use these items does the "T" portion kick
in. Try sharing those star office files with anyone, what's the performance
of that MySQL database? Need replication? Transactions? full SQL-92 support?
stored procedures worth a damn? Did you want security? Compability with
everything? Support for everything? I argue that Windows is much easier to
install, configure and use than Linux. It's the "T" portion of TCO you need
to focus on, the "CO" part is easy. Remember, Linux (et. el.) is only free
if your time is worth nothing...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:21:21 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Loren Petrich wrote:
>
> > >    And that was from someone who had lived off of taxpayers' money for
> > > awhile.
> > >

> > When?
>
>    I should not need to remind of when it was.

Try: NEVER.

> --
> Loren Petrich
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> And a fast train

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix rules in Redmond
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:22:54 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8rd6gr$26rc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > I'm sorry dude, but sometimes you hear something so silly you can't stop
> > > from laughing...
> >
> > > I'm sure he'll post the tux results ... it's all they've got...
> >
> > Dont you have something better to do?
>
> Yup - it's what I do the rest of the time... right now I'm laughing at the
> sun rep who tried to sell some 10000s to one of my clients...

safe in the security that you're going to charge him MORE
to accomplish the same task less proficiently and with
more downtime, I'm sure.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:24:00 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Michael Marion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> >
> > > Actually you are wrong on both counts. YOu would be much better served
> > > (performance and price wise) running two 100 mb/s NICs than a single Gb
> NIC.
> > > I would run 4 NICs, 2 teamed pairs load balanced. But you'd have to
> > > understand high end networking ....
> >
> > Well we've got multiple NetApp filers with close to (and a few over) 1TB
> on
> > them.  These filers are RAID'd, do NFS and CIFS, and are hammered with
> high
> > usage 24/7.  They perform much better on Gb then even quad trunked (or
> > individual) 100Mb.  If you're not seeing good performance from Gb
> adapters,
> > then you either have sub-par NICs or your OS isn't using them efficiently.
>
> Come on Mike, you know one answer doesn't fit every question. Obviously
> there are situations where Gig adapters will excel but not in the scenario I
> was discussing/discribing (unless I misunderstood the situation). I'm using
> gig over copper quite happily at two installations - we find multiple NICs
> perform better when there are more users doing large amounts of relatively
> small requests. When the transfers are long/streams the bigger individual
> pipes are the way to go. Depends on usage, I know you know that.

Only on sucky MS operating systems that have difficult with
context switches.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:25:33 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:y0bx5.3134$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > very
> Linux.
> but
> thing

> > > overload
> > > >
> > > Actually you are wrong on both counts. YOu would be much better served
> > > (performance and price wise) running two 100 mb/s NICs than a single Gb
> NIC.
> >
> > 2 x 100Mb/sec  < 1 Gb/sec
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >

> Actually, depending on what you are doing there will be many cases where 2 x
> 100 Mb/sec NICs > 1 x 1 Gb/sec NIC when serving more than one target. Sure,

Only on sucky Microsoft operating systems that can't efficiently
interleave packets to and from multiple processes.

> if you just want to move a huge chunk of data from point a to b, a single
> stream, the biggest single pipe will win. I expect that is not the case here
> and that's why my suggestion towards multiple 100 mb/s NICs. ALSO, fault
> tolerance - I'd rather have 2 NICs than 1 when one of them crashes eh?

Strange that this is NOT true for Unix servers and IBM mainframes.

Why is that?

> Read... understand... think...

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:26:05 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > what? WHAT? hahahahhahhhahahahahhhahahahaahhahhahhaahhhahahaahhaha
> > > <breath>
> > > hahahahhhahhahahahahahahaaahahahahahaaahahahhahahhaha
> > >

> > No you know whe he's called Dresting LACK of facts...
>
> "No"?    Perhaps you'd like to learn to spell/type before making shit up eh?

Drestin Lack of facts.

Happy now

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 4 Oct 2000 17:25:29 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But, see that "T" in TCO? It's not "CO" which is what your describing here.
> Sure, it cost $0 "CO" for the open sores(tm) version versus >$0 "CO" for the
> MS solution but you asked about "TCO" - TOTAL cost of ownership. Ahhhhh...
> see, after you've got these stacks of CDs sitting there and it comes time to
> actually install, configure and use these items does the "T" portion kick
> in. Try sharing those star office files with anyone, what's the performance
> of that MySQL database? Need replication? Transactions? full SQL-92 support?
> stored procedures worth a damn? Did you want security? Compability with
> everything? Support for everything? I argue that Windows is much easier to
> install, configure and use than Linux. It's the "T" portion of TCO you need
> to focus on, the "CO" part is easy. Remember, Linux (et. el.) is only free
> if your time is worth nothing...

I need a database that is starts at 1.5 terabytes and is growable to 35 terabytes
with no tweaking, and is also capable of handling 70,000 transactions per
second.  What would you suggest for hardware, software and OS?

=====.

--
"It's natural to expect there might be people doing stupid things
with computers"

---Michael Vatis, director of the FBI's national infrastructure
protection center commenting on Y2K concerns about hacker attacks

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: What kind of WinTroll Idiot are you anyway?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:26:57 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8rd6d5$26rc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > > Oh puhlease - I have been using them religiously since 3.64, you haven't
> > > clue. I contribute news to one of the most popular nvidia fan sites too.
> You
> > > haven't a clue. They are solid.
> >
> > Brandon says hes never heard of you, by the way.  And NVIDIAs bug tracking
> > system itself seems to disagree with you.
>
> If you asked him if he's heard of Drestin Black I understand why. And while
> NVIDIA has a bug trackign system that indeed has bugs in it (amazing!) I

As you said to me....LEARN TO SPELL.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:27:54 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8rd8r1$26rc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8rd66i$26rc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> the

> in
> by
> >
> > > Actually it runs at 666.6666666666 <etc> Mhz.  Obviously intel has
> better
> > > math than whoever wrote your monitoring program.
> >
> > Actually, CPU mhz cannot be measured to your significant figures.  You are
> > quite incorrect.
>
> It cannot? Oh really - and why is that? Do you know how frequencies are
> multiplied and divided to get the results we see externally?

> real
> liter

> > > So why is a CPU that runs at 666.666666666 <etc> not 667 ?
> >
> > It doesnt run with that many significant figures, brainiac.  Tell me, how
> > do you measure 1/100th of an oscillation?
>
> subdivide an "oscillation", you can't. An "oscillation" is an atomic unit.
> However, we're talking Hertz here which counts "oscillations" *PER SECOND*
> So, braniac, we can go to a zillion decimal points cause a second can be
> subdivided ad infinum.

Precisely, dipshit.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:29:09 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > How _do_ you turn off DMA on an IDE disk in NT?  Probably a registry
> > key that's documented someplace in the bowels of MSDN.  Where granma
> > won't ever find it.
>
> DMA is off by default for IDE devices with NT 3 and 4. You need to run a
> utility called DMACHECK to turn on it's DMA testing and enabling function.

That's stupid.

> With Windows 2000, DMA function is checked during setup and activiated if it
> works right. You can turn it on and off as you would with Win9x/ME through
> the device manager.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:35:26 -0300

El mié, 04 oct 2000, . escribió:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Actually, CPU mhz cannot be measured to your significant figures.  You are
>>> quite incorrect.
>
>> It cannot? Oh really - and why is that? Do you know how frequencies are
>> multiplied and divided to get the results we see externally?
>
>Yes actually, I do.  And you cannot, absolutely CAN NOT go out to TEN
>decimal places in this regard.

Sure you can. You can measure a CPU's frequency to 10 decimal places, easily.

Assuming you can count the oscilations exactly, you will have a +-0.5 error in
the count.

Measure time in seconds with an error of less than 1E-25, and count the
oscillations in 1E15 seconds.

You will have 10 significant decimal places for the frequency of that CPU, with
plenty to spare (check the error propagation, if you want).

Of course there is a tiny practical issue with that procedure, too.

--
Roberto Alsina