From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E. Ballard says
Linux growth stagnating
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:15:22 +0100

In article <8n83ee$b4b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark) wrote:
>> In article <8mqmqb$l17$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christopher Smith
>wrote:
>> >
>> >"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:8mq92n$olc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>Petrich,
>> >
>> >Since you rarely include links to back up your claims, and Max never
>does,
>> >the irony there is rather amusing.

>> >Examples being ?

>COMNA.

>COMNA.
>> >
>> >As I always say, you know you've got em when they say "you must be
>getting
>> >paid to do this".
>> >

>> My assumption is that nobody would willingly lie so profusely as a
>> typical wintroll unless they were being paid to do so.
>
>Not only that, they seem to find microsoft web links even before
>they are posted.  I've actually been to one or two links that
>weren't available until AFTER the usenet post was posted.
>
>I've also had fun with style & diction analysis (the unix predecessors
>to Microsoft's style checker).  You find a great deal of similarity
>between the writing style of Drestin Black and the person who writes
>Microsoft's formal press releases for PR NewsWire.  In one case,
>he even quoted a large section and I didn't realize that it was
>a quote until I started the reply.

I vaguely recall seeing a posting commenting on something like that -
was that yours?

>> Supporting M$oft in these debates must be an awful task to be asked
>> to accomplish by any line management chain; I think I'd rather
>consider
>> selling double-glazing.  At least for glazing, there are some
>verifiable
>> benefits to the consumer with little downside other than price.
>
>As mentioned below, some of these people are stock manipulators.  What
>they are doing is actually illegal.  I am very careful about NOT posting
>too heavily or differently after I've purchased a stock.  This is
>something I learned when I was working at Dow Jones & McGraw-Hill where
>every stock-purchase was scrutinized for signs of insider trading or
>stock manipulation.  There were many times when I had to stay out
>of the market because I DID know - even MONTHS in advance, about
>events that were going to happen.  I would have had the possibility
>of being very wealthy, or spending lots of time in Federal Prison.
>It's just not worth the risk.
>
>> Basically, no sane person would take the wintroll view for free, it
>> must have to be paid for.
>
>Also notice the posting times for the WinTrolls.  Many start posting
>Monday morning in Austrailia/Japan (Sunday night in U.S.) and then
>around 9:00 A.M. EST, the postings start flooding in.
>
>Then look at the posting times for LinVocates.  They're posting at
>2:00 A.M. with maybe a "lunch-time" posting, and maybe even a
>"breakfast" posting.

Ah, well it's nightime here now, so, this took me ages to work out,
then I realised :)  Yes, I will post (typically) nightime, maybe
early morning, maybe lunchtime.

>> What's so fascinating about the linux advocates is that they will, in
>> their own time, advocate.  This suggests to me that there are at least
>> 2 drivers for them, firstly, they genuinely do appreciate the virtues
>> of Linux as well as understand the vices of Windows.
>
>I'm always fascinated by the results of a little research on the
>WinTrolls.  I look at their back-postings and often discover that
>their entire experience of Linux was a botched install in which
>they didn't even bother to read the installation manual.  The latest
>SNAFU was a guy who tried to install an S3 Virge card as an SVGA
>with Frame Buffer.

A thought-problem for consideration - create a training plan for a
winvocate who will be paid to inhabit the comp.os.{linux,sun,beos,mac}
advocacy group.  I suggest:

1.  Read Cathedral & Bazaar paper to understand some of OSS
philosophical thinking
2.  Install Red-Hat (latest version) on clean PC with known
supported hardware
3.  Run/Surf etc., with machine for a couple of days/weeks?
4.  Read HOWTOs, determine unsupported hardware, modes or similar
which as yet unreleased version of Windows will support
5.  Purchase unsupported graphics card & install in machine
6.  Make first "I installed Red Hat xx and it didn't work with
my Castanata Super Accelerated Jizz Card" posting...
7.  Make follow-up posting saying how "I've tried linux and
now I'm using Windows Millenium Second Edition" which supports
it wonderfully (see previous posting)
8.  Launch new alter-ego

Of course, these posters probably need to be run like agents, so
they need a controller who will feed them appropriate information
(like which card will be supported by the second edition of
Windows ME - WinMeSe) and will be able to deal with their more
unusual habits and try to ameliorate the more extreme damage they
cause by trying to think too much without the guidance of their
friendly controller :)

>I'm running an S3 Virge right now, on a P200, with no frame-buffer,
>and I get great response.
>
>About the only real complaint I can respect is the memory leak
>in Netscape Navigator - especially when posting to DejaNews.
>That sucker grows like a weed.
>
>The work-around is pretty simple.  I use the "simple text editor"
>under KDE and then paste the respons into the text-buffer.
>If I forget, I can watch the memory usage on ld-linux.so.2 grow
>by whatever the message size is with each keystroke.  It looks
>like the garbage collector isn't cleaning up.
>
>Has Netscape EVER fixed this?

Well, I mainly use Netscape 3.xx if I need a graphical browser, so
I'm familiar with its memory hungriness.  I did recently download the
latest Netscape 6 for use on my Win 98SE machine (my work "upgrade"!),
which I find far more pleasant than IE, but I've not used it enough
yet to comment on memory.  Win98 is pretty unstable anyway, so it's
not easy to work out which apps contribute to Win98's inherent
design problems.

>> One of the posters I find hard to comprehend is the guy who tries
>> to imply he can't spell.  I can't really see how that will benefit
>> microsoft, since incorrectly spelled (eg., linsux or whatever) will
>> not show in search engines, so I would have thought he's violated
>> his employment contract with Microsoft;  presumably his paymasters
>> at Redmond will spot this and either the spelling will improve, or
>> more probably he'll adopt a different pseudonym and spell properly
>> in the hope that his style is not noticed.  Unless it's just another
>> of Steve/Heather/etc's alter egos, of course.
>
>Actually, there are several of these personae who are
>stock manipulators.  Appearantly "S" and "Sponge" have
>discussed their holdings in other groups, and have given
>clues (names of girl-friends, dogs, cars, and names of
>close friends) that indicate that they are day-trading
>Microsoft based on Usenet activity.
>
>You'll notice that the WinTrolls are very quiet when Microsoft
>is climbing, and the get very noisy when it's falling.  In some
>cases, they are also playing similar swings in other stocks.

Interesting this.  Mark's newest theory - I'm now wondering if they're
all ex-Microsoft employees.  The one's with apparently mixed feelings
maybe were encouraged to leave (eg., steve/heather/claire/keys88/hepcat)
etc., whereas maybe the likes of Drestin left to join yet another
startup in with the intention of becoming deeply rich by leveraging
their insider knowledge of undocumented APIs.  Presumably that lever
doesn't work for all that long, maybe one or two OS re-writes by
Microsoft, after which it doesn't work, but I'd guess that by that
time if you were any good your position is secure anyway.  That would
leave you (in both cases) with stock or stock-options, and with
either positive feelings about your ex-employer, or mixed ones,
depending on the circumstances of your departure.

Anyone any knowledge of Microsoft's churn-rate?  The UK standard
tends to be 5-10% pa churn for large companies, increasing
significantly for smaller companies, but I've no idea what US numbers
might be.

>I tend to be a long-term investor and do a lot of buy-and-hold.
>I don't think the SEC could accuse me of exploiting the net.
>(I bought 30 shares of Red-Hat at 120 and I'm still holding it :-).

I'm formally prohibited from insider trading as part of my contract,
but there have been some very high-profile cases of this in the UK
over the last couple of years, including some senior politicians.

--
Mark - remove any ham to reply.
"A compiler is a program that takes the pseudo-English gibberish produced

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacyk
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re:  Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:55:47 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Stephen S. Edwards II
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
>on 14 Aug 2000 14:48:23 GMT
><8n90rn$6oo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron R. Kulkis) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>>8<SNIP>8
>>
>It's not clear that managerial types care as much about flexibility as
>they do about speed -- so the nod goes to the system with the better
>performance, namely NT.

Ah, so NT more rapidly crashes than Linux with X-windows system, I
think was your point.

Or was it that Microsoft NT more effectively crashes than Linux with X
due to the inadequate QA resource made available at Microsoft headquaters?

Or did I just miss the point entirely?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: MCSE != Engineer (Was: Microsoft MCSE
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:15:41 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Perry Pip wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 07:43:41 +0100,
>mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>Perry Pip wrote:

>>>Why sadly?? The only people affected by the incompetence of MCSE's are
>>>the idiots who hire them.
>>
>>No no no - absolutely not true.  Work for a large organisation, as I do,
>
>I do work for a large organisation. We have 10,000 or so people on
>site were I work.
>
>>then you spend large amounts of time trying to keep MSCEs off your PC to
>>stop them breaking things any further than the problems Bill Gates built
>>in for you in the first place.
>
>I honestly don't know if we have any MCSE's where I work. We probably
>have a few, but they are not flaunting it. About two thirds of the
>10,000 or so people here have Bachelors or better degrees in a technical
>field, including about 90 or so with Ph.D.'s. So an MCSE where I work
>is nothing at all to flaunt.

To be fair, I don't think they actively flaunt their MCSE, and also,
not all of them are poor.  But enough are that they are a danger to
my PC and my sanity.  Very sadly one of the really good guys lost his
job recently.

>I do have a Win98 machine stuffed on my desk with which I use Tornado
>to develop for VxWorks targets and eXceed to develop on an IRIX
>machine. The machine is flaky at best but I live with it.

As I mentioned in another post, I was recently "upgraded" to Win98SE.
It's pretty p*ss-poor.  I really detest IE.  I'd like to be able to
shut the machine down (once in an while would be nice...)

>>I have absolutely no say whatsoever in who the IS directorate hire.
>
>Neither do I. Our IS people have an onsite contractor supporting most
>of our Win desktops as well as NT file and print servers. And many of
>them aren't very skilled. But other than giving us our desktop
>machines, they don't touch the systems we develop and use in our
>avionics labs.

This was kind of my point from above - that the people who hire MCSEs
(at least in large organisation ~250,000 in mine) are very unlikely to
be directly affected personally by their decisions.  In an organisation
as large as this, management is done mainly 'statistically', which
means that work-targets are averages, and so long as the overall
averages are going the right way, then no major change is likely.
Statistical process control (SPC) techniques describe this in detail.

>>I suffer badly from any incompetents amongst their number.
>
>Sorry to hear this. But the problem as you describe it seems that you are
>working for a company that makes bad management decisions and hires
>idiotic people. That is a problem that can affect you in many ways,
>not just thru the use of MS products.

I think there's probably some genuine bad management, but also I think
that there's some fundamental aspects of large organisations.
See my comments above about management by averages.

>>Okay, I know that wasn't your main point, but it just struck a nerve.
>
>Oops.

's okay - I'm feeling better now!

>>It's like the claim the Microsoft marketing people in this group make
>>from time to time that I should 'upgrade' 'cos the newest OS from their
>>paymasters solves problems x,y,z.  I have no control at all over the
>>OS version I have to use as well.
>
>Sounds like your management falls for those marketing ploys. And you
>probably don't get upgrades because MS systems are too much of a bitch
>to upgrade.

Yup!

>>Most people I know at work would happily put an axe through their PCs,
>
>Go for it;-)

:)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux/Pro-Microsoft Propaganda Campaign In Usenet (was: COMNA's
favorite conspiracy theorist rides again...
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:24:02 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JS/PL wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <8nmmh1$r4f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christopher Smith wrote:
>> >
>> >"Mark S. Bilk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:8nmkhh$qmc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >message*

>> >would

>> >Then blame the press for inaccurate reporting.

>> >Hindsight is always 20/20.
>> >It could have, which was the point - it is not Microsoft's responsibility
>> >test or fix other people's software.  Plus, given those problems it
>already
>> >did have and Windows' intimate manipulations of DOS a _warning_ about
>non-MS
>> >DOSes was hardly surprising.
>> >

>> I was a DRDOS user and was told by my own IS department at the time that
>> I would 'have to' use MSDOS since DRDOS was not 'compatible with windows'.
>> I recall that the guy had a slightly smug smile at the time - he'd never
>> really approved of my DRDOS massively outperforming his MSDOS.
>>
>> DRDOS disappeared from my office over the following couple of months, I
>> recall nobody actually questioned the wisdom of the IS guys (me included)
>>
>> I'm still very p*ssed off about it.  I don't like being stung by anyone,
>> particularly is such an underhand way, and certainly haven't trusted
>> microsoft in any way since at all.  Nothing Microsoft have done since
>> that appalling act has served to improve its credibility in my eyes.  I
>> find the beer adverts on television more convincing than Microsoft.
>
>Yea right...your still VERY pissed off about it.
>
>Get a copy and use it instead.

I do use it.  What do you mean by instead of?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right!
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:48:02 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:32:36 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:26no5.7317$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> If the Linux consensus is that DnD will not be supported under multiple
>> environments, then Linux has lost the war.  It will never, as a desktop
>OS,
>> surpass even the Macintosh, which does have a common API for DnD across
>all
>> it's apps.
>
>"...across all it's apps"?  All its applications that are designed to run in
>a single desktop environment correct?  That is one point where your argument
>fails.  Unlike other OS's that you may be familiar with, Linux has numerious
>independent user environments as do most unix OS's.  Drag and drop will
>NEVER be workable across ALL Linux applications, it just plain can never
>happen.  I will leave explaining why this is true as an exercise for you.

        This, however, does not rule out the possibility of applications
        being coded to be conformant to one or more standards. Plus, there
        is a DnD standard currently in place.

        There is also a 'commercial' DnD standard for other Unixen.

        Either can be supported by any toolkit, library or application
        that choose to use them. Mebbe Motif could even be hacked to
        be compatible with xdnd.

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: GNOME/KDE issues (was: Come on, Jedi, where are you?)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:53:25 GMT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:10:05 -0300, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
>
>>         This is the big question. With all of the labor potential the
>>         KDE project seems to have, why not make a clean break to a
>>         core library that is beyond reproach?
>
>You are liberal at spending the effort of others. Join [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Not nearly as much as you are.

        You want others to fix your poo.

>>         Afterall, the KDE project
>>         seems to be big on PR. Whynot at that 'bulletpoint' to the rest?
>
>If I could understand that sentence, I would comment on it.
>
>>         Either way, you can't erase the past. KDE started out using QT
>>         long before Troll decided to try and bend over backwards to
>>         please KDE critics. Even if Troll finally went with the 'Aladdin
>>         route', momories of how KDE started things would remain.
>
>Nice.

        "meritocracy"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:51:03 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:31:57 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"John Sanders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>> >
>> > What I find funny is that you have your head in the ground and refuse to
>see
>> > that even Linux is full of non-standard conformance.  Why doesn't the
>Linux
>> > community create an RFC for drag and drop under X?  Why don't they
>create
>> > one for Cut and paste and the literally hundreds of other functions that
>> > companies like IBM have standardized years ago with CUA and such?
>>
>> If IBM has standardized "hundreds of other functions" then those would
>> be the standard.  You would not come along and create another set of
>> standards for the same functions.  That would be non-standard.  If
>> everyone can standardize anything and everyone has their own standard,
>> what is the use of ANY standard?
>
>I take it you've never heard of the CUA.
>
>> You want to standardize DnD?  What would this involve?  How it looks on
>> the screen?  Whether it does integrity checking on the copy?  What's the
>> point? A standard is written to provide some rules for interaction among
>> independent processes.  DnD is isolated to a system.  The 'standard' is
>> local to that system.  The way it has been implemented are the 'rules'
>> for that standard.  The API will tell you how to use it.
>
>I could care less what it looks like.  I just want all my apps to support
>the same API for DnD.  DnD is virtually useless without common useage.

        The API is irrelevant.

        I have applications that use at least 3 distinct API's
        and they all can communicate with each other via DnD.

>> Do you think every DnD operation on every computer should look exactly
>> the same to every user?  Do you think all the APIs should be identical?
>> That's never going to happen.  If you're so incredibly lame of a
>> computer user that you are upset by seeing different graphics on
>> different machines for different functions, then that's just tough.  Use
>> a CLI, grow a brain.
>
>I'm not talking about graphics.  I'm talking about the API.  How does an app
>that supports the KDE DnD work with an app that supports the Gnome DnD?

        The API has nothing to do with the compatibility of a GNOME
        app with a KDE app in this respect.

        DnD is a 'wire protocol'. Much like IP, one does not need to
        implement one's applications in Sockets in order for them to
        be interoperable with other IP applications.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: Re: Linus says Mindcraft was accurate
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:50:02 GMT

Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>Another thing that I often wonder is why does linux (also 'Arachne' DOS
>browser, apple mac and most if not all non-babybill based machines) need to
>have things like the DNS settings manually entered. Perhaps the teams behind
>the linux ppp code could find a way to reverse-engineer the windblows ppp
>code and work out how they do this automatically (and share the info with
>apple and arachne labs).

Hmmm, my system (Linux) doesn't need a DNS entry put in manually,
it pulls it from the dialup server.  I'm currently using
WVDIAL, which is command line, but it does seem to
automate a lot of stuff.  I'm not sure if any of the
graphical PPP interfaces do this or not.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: When it's time to not be nice... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and
Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.          Ballard       says    Linux growth stagnating)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:25:13 -0700

Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> >
> > Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Cool, I respect you for it. So?
> >
> > So, that provides evidence of the invalid assumptions that your attitude
> > lead you to form.
>
> Whatever.
>
> > > There *is* a dicotomy.
> >
> > While that may be your view of things,  it is not or at least has not
been
> > the reality of the Linux community.
>
> "While that may be your view of things,  it is not or at least has not
> been
>  the reality of the Linux community."

Point of agreement, or a reversal of argument?

> > > Yawn.
> >
> > More flame bait?
>
> Nope. An onomatopoeia indicating boredom.
>
> > > I contribute to the first large software project
> > > in Linux that started a trend towards making linux usable by more
> > > newbies.
> >
> > The kernel?  That was the first big project in Linux on which makes
> > everything else possible. If you are talking about KDE, it is not Linux
> > software, it is unix software, properly written it should work on any
unix
> > system that runs X--and perhaps other systems using X as well.
>
> You are right, the "in Linux" doesn't belong there.

If you are saying what I think you are, point of agreement.

> > > I care so much about newbies that I try to make them non-newbies
> > > all the time.
> >
> > And disparage them at the same time?
>
> I don't. Usually.
>
> > > I use the words often. I had done so in this very thread already.
> > > And in the message three posts ago in the thread, if you look.
> >
> > Using when discussing the email reply, it still suspicious.  If you had
not
> > written it, that would not have been your reation to it.  If your use
that
> > phrase as often as you seem to, it does not speak well of you and you
can
> > hardly be supprised at peoples reactions to you.
>
> People's reactions to me are varied. However, notice how my reaction to
> you is my fault, and people's reaction to me is ALSO my fault. Amazing
> double standard you bear.

Not really, if it had not been for the tone and jist of your reaction, I
would have not had any negative opinion of you, which should be confirmed by
our past email communications, before you showed this side of your persona
to me.