From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:28:49 +0000

In article <90417b$4tc0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <903r8k$594r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>Rutherford

>> >That is just about the most ridicilous, inaccurate, and idiotic statement
>> >that I've heard since I last read Aaron's posts.
>>
>> Que?  My, we are getting personal.  Well, 'tis true.  I do not
>> run MS OSs in my spare time except under _exceptional_ circumstances.
>> The only one I know of is for a game which will only run under
>> dos.  That's that.  It's a fact, and I don't really see how you
>> can call it inaccurate.
>
>Because not even a moderatedly successful game came out in the last three
>years or so that didn't run on windows?

When did I say how old it was?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:28:06 +0000

In article <904172$4tc0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <903r8i$594r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >laptop.

>the
>> >OS

>> >It's calls a rethoric question.
>> >
>> >I've done phone support before, email support is even worse, because you
>> >don't get real-time feedback.
>> >I'm not going to try and provide you with support you could get if you
>would
>> >find a non - advocacy group about windows.
>> >news://microsoft.public.win2000.general is a good place to start asking
>> >questions.
>> >

>> Whereas you think that cola is a good place to *not* ask questions?
>
>advocacy groups are not the place to find support.

But they are a good place to pose a question and then deny that it is?

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Insite into Linux Kernel 2.4
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:49:24 +0000

In article <9048d4$fta$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Mading wrote:
>matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: I use 2.4 test kernels full time and the only thing that I have upgraded is
>: modutils and ppp. Everything works great and I can't wait until 2.4 is
>: released because then I will be able to try out all the new stuff going into
>: 2.5.
>
>Really?  What about the tools that use the /proc system, like 'ps'?
>Aren't they pretty dependant upon matching exactly to the kernel
>version?

No.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:46:17 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Curtis wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark) posted:
>
>| In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Curtis wrote:
>| >"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:

>| >|
>| >|

>| >IBM did an incredibly lousy job of marketing OS/2.
>|
>| Microsoft parted company with IBM.  IBM didn't even get their
>| windows license until the eve of the launch.
>|
>| curtis - are you turfing, by any chance?
>
>Yes, I am.

:)

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Is design really that overrated?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:51:37 +0000

In article <975543464.253891@marvin>, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mark"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> In article <975494561.344562@marvin>, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>>Not necessary. Wat if you set your borders fading from pink to orange,
>>>wear an orange T-shirt, and flashy pink pants. Then, set your background
>>>to the one from the win98 sixties theme. So you don't clash with your
>>>computer! With your office of course...
>>

>> Words do not suffice.  So: !
>>
>> Mark
>
>So? You mean I have to go to the office dressed like that? Sorry, that's
>impossible. I'm a _student_, and we don't use any user-customisale
>computers.

When I was a student, we couldn't afford user-customisable clothes...

:)

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:02:05 +0000

In article <NHfV5.9533$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, the_blur wrote:
>> You might start by offering some artwork to the people at Mandrake. Nice
>> OS. Terrible artwork.
>
>Do you know how receptive they are to this sort of thing? I came here first
>because I wanted to get a feel for your reaction in general, I think I got
>away fairly unscathed. I'm not worse for wear. But how do I do it? Do I just
>send along pics? or maybe set up a website they can check out?

Yes, just send along pics.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:07:01 +0000

In article <9040fb$6if4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <903jti$568q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >02:33:16
>browsers

>market.

>And
>> >the
>because
>> >quality.

>> >can
>> >and
>fat

>closing
>> >the
>surfing.
>of

>> >Mass emailing someone is not a task I would give to OE.
>> >I meant handling newsgroups with tens to hundreds of thousands messages
>> >stored locally (both headers & message body)
>> >

>> OE does not do this.  News servers do this.
>
>OE can do this, and that is what it does on my system.
>You download all the messages from a big newsgroup with long expiration set,
>and you would easily find yourself with tens or hundreds of thousands of
>messages.

So, what newsgroup has 100,000 messages in it?

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:05:46 +0000

In article <9040fg$6if4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <903jte$568q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>02:33:16

>market.

>> >the
>because
>quality.

>can
>and
>fat

>> >usually.
>seperated
>> >workstation to
>reboot

>> >I'm not aware of your computer's setting, but you might want to take a
>look
>> >at Power Management.
>>
>> There is nothing wrong with power management.  Power management is *not*
>> an issue whilst eg., word is still running.  I would expect you, as
>> a self-proclaimed windows expert to have slightly more technical
>> understading than this.  I'm beginning to think you know as little
>> about windows as you do about unix.
>
>Power management has nothing to do with Word running or not.
>It's an icon "Power Options" which control the way windows do is configured.
>APM is configured from there, frex.
>That is a starting point to look at when you have troubles such as you are
>describing.

So how can power management issues stop Win98 from shutting itself
down.  It is not shutting the machine down, merely stopping itself.

Is this some major kernel design problem?

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:25:27 +0000

In article <pAgV5.20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bennetts family wrote:

>"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:90417j$4tc0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Really? How do they get the OS from the CD to the HD, then?
>> You do realize that when I'm talking about installing Linux I'm talking
>> about installing the OS, right?
>
>You install once, and then you learn how to use RPM. The only time a Linux
>system needs to be restarted is a) after you have recompiled the kernel; b)
>when you are installing non-USB/Firewire hardware, especially the
>motherboard, or c) after a power outage.

Power outage?  Never had to do that.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:27:22 +0000

In article <904176$4tc0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <903nuc$4etg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>can
>> >use
>nittwitt.

>> >It has cli.
>>
>> You said it didn't.  Are we now saying that there is a cli?
>
>When did I said it didn't have CLI?
>When I mentioned that it doesn't have dos? Dos isn't mandatory for cli.

>> >Any color you like, of course.
>> >

>> What's the shell?
>
>What do you mean here?

If we have no dos command processor, then what is the shell?

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:38:12 +0000

In article <90417n$4tc0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <903l4f$57ru$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:Vn%U5.25827$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>they

>> >through
>Word97
>> >
>> >To Word, yes.
>> >I used a dos based Word Proccessor call Einstien until almost 1996.
>> >It loaded of a 5-something inch floppy and had a white on blue color that
>> >from took me a while to shake of in regard to word proccessor (my first
>> >reaction to my first BSOD was "Who loaded Einstien?")
>> >I've been loyal user to this application (and this version, for that
>matter)
>> >for almost 6 years.
>> >
>> >About the documents, I can read documents made in office 97 or 2000 with
>> >Word 6.
>> >File > Save As > Word 6.0
>>
>> That conversion takes forever and doesn't properly convert everythingl
>> as anyone who's been unfortunate enough to have this microsoft overt
>> 'upgrade or else' conversion filter imposed on them by the monopoly
>> we so love to suffer from.
>
>Forever? No longer than normal saving.

It takes considerably longer than normal saving.  If Microsoft didn't
want you to upgrade and pay again for more or less the same package,
then it wouldn't.  It also doesn't properly convert everything.
The thing is, I actually *have* to use this stuff, I'm not just
turfing.

>As Word 97/2K have much more features than word 6, the things that word 6
>can't handle are being stripped.

Ie., a full and proper conversion *does* *not* take place.  As I
recall, it breaks in some basic ways, like the table support.  This
is not some major new feature issue, this is monopoly practise at
its nastiest for the consumer (others :) and user (me :(

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:34:32 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Josiah Fizer wrote:

>Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
>> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> about
>> underwear

>> be

>> drivers

>> scanner,

>> long

>> just
>> >
>> > Ah, you know so little.  Look up debian and see what you can have,
>> > fully automatically installed.  A mere 1500 is nothing.  You really
>> > have swallowed the microsoft line here.
>> >

>> > You can have as many as you like with linux, no arbitrary limits.
>> > No 'no one *need* 1500', no '640M is enough for anyone'.
>>
>> Why would you need 1500 applications?
>> Give me a good reason why would you need 1500 application installed.
>
>The trick is that he's counting things like grep, ls and man as "applications".
>By that logic I have 1200 or so "applications" on my NT workstation, 1500
>wouldn't be much of a stretch.

I'm not counting binary executables, I'm counting packages.
On this particular machine, that's of the order of 79,000 binaries.
The packages typically contain *many* binary executables.
Grep certainly does *not* come on its own, as suggested. here.
Whilst its true that the grep family of binary executables come
as one package, ls is part of the gnu fileutils, and includes a
range of fileutils.

You guys just don't know what you're missing.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:42:10 +0000

>> >turfing?
>> >How does grass has to do with computers?
>> >
>> If you have to defend microsoft, I imagine its probably essential.
>
>Yes, when I have to use an MS OS, I like to smoke a bit of the old grass
>beforehand to ease my pain...

Exactly ;)

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:45:48 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Giuliano Colla wrote:
>mark wrote:
>>
>[...]
>>
>> You said he'd used a screwdriver on it.  I didn't believe that then,
>> and I don't believe it now, because I can't see why anyone would.
>>

>Sorry to interrupt your interesting attempt to reconstruct the crime,
>with a hardly helpful witness, but this part has IMHO opinion the ring
>of the truth.
>
>A screwdriver is the most gentle tool I've been tempted to use quite a
>number of times on a Windows install CD. Had it been a hammer or an ax,
>I would believe it even more heartily!

Ah, relief :)

A local saying you might like:

When all you have is a hammer, then all problems look like nails.

This proverb also applies well to OSs.

Mark