Linux-Advocacy Digest #569, Volume #31           Fri, 19 Jan 01 04:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows (Shane Phelps)
  Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes  it    does) )
("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it   does) )
("Tom Wilson")
  Re: New Microsoft Ad :-) ("JS PL")
  Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it   does) )
("Tom Wilson")
  Re: New Microsoft Ad :-) (J Sloan)
  Re: You and Microsoft... ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Would Linux be invented if? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Adam Warner")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux? (Frank Kruchio)

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:29:51 +1100

Kevin Ford wrote:

> Shane Phelps once wrote:
> >

> >Lincoln Peters wrote:
> >>
> >> Probably true if you consider Solaris or VMS, but who can afford the
> >> price of the software and specialized hardware?
> >
> >Solaris is free (as in beer) for systems with < 8 CPUs.
> >It is available for Intel, but Linux outperformas it in many areas.
> >Low-end SPARC boxes aren't a lot more expensive (ie 2x rather than 10x)
> >than equivalent Intel boxes these days, and the cost ratio is much lower
> >if comparing to "name" brands like Compaq or Big Blue.
> >
> >Most of the software which runs on Linux will run on Solaris as well.
> >

> >The above probably applies to most commercial Unix versions, BTW
> >

> I woldn't call Solaris especially reliable, right perl programmers?

That's news to me. Care to give some details?

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes  it
does) )
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:44:10 GMT

"ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:942rkf$ka8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > I will stick with VC++. It's worth the money!   (gnu stinks)
> > > btw: js and vbs are free too! (any you don't have to have a twisted
mind
> > > write programs)
> >
> > VC++ 6 is pretty good, though I worry about this .NET crap ruining it.
> I just installed 'Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 7.0' and boy does that
monster
> slow down everything. I kind of like the idea that there is just one ide
for
> all tools. What I don't like is that I have to relearn from scratch. It
took
> me ages to get a grasp on com, but now I like it and I can truly say that
> I'm sad that ms wants to forget about it. One fortunate thing is that ms
has
> never let me down regarding backward-compatibility*.I'm sure that I can
> develop com stuff for another few years.

We're withholding judgement about .NET. If it actually flies then I guess
we'll have to support it. That VSNET7 is a slow monster doesn't surprise
me.

> *ok, they did kill java and stopped supporting 16bit apps a long time
ago,
> but I gave up before them :-).
>

> > However, VC++ is not too ANSI compliant.
> Who cares about that. In every new version I go out and look for new
> non-ansi features, they are always cool and it's a good way to shock your
> co-workers.

If you're limited to programming for one platform then there's not a thing
wrong with it. When you're asked to port your code to another platform, you
learn real quick to stick to ANSI standards. (Personal experience (nay,
personal nightmare))

> Who wants to reuse source anyway? The only kind of reuse is the kind of
> binary reuse found in ms products. Like reusing IE5 for the GUI or using
> MSXML to parse XML files. Who would want to look at C++ sourcecode when
> there is oleview?

Constantly re-inventing the wheel for every project is very poor
time-management. Re-usable code is a fantastic thing! To each his own, I
guess. One thing you'll find is that once you have a large set of useful
and extensible objects, future projects go together very quickly and with
minimal debugging.

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:45:22 GMT

"ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:942ii8$ev5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > It doesn't have to be VBasic, for me.  However, a VBasic for
> > Linux should be possible -- there's already a
> development/emulator/something
> > for Solaris that allows for the running of Microsoft VBasic;
> > its main problem is calling [D]COM/ActiveX/whatever things.
> And that's the point. The beauty of js,vbs is it's ability to interact
with
> the system through COM!
> (you can't even write a decent script-virus with linux)

And this is a BAD thing???

I hope this is a joke...

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:36:24 -0500

> Said Chris Ahlstrom in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 18 Jan 2001
> 02:35:15 GMT;
> >ono wrote:
> >>
> >> btw: With W2K you can run a webserver while playing a DirectX game.
Thats
> >> what I call 'really' using a computer! W2K downtime is most likely
caused by
> >> performance-freaks installing the newest GeForce beta drivers ;-).
> >
> >The question is, can W2K play an MP3 file without breaking up, while
> >compiling a Borland C++ project?

Easily. I just built a system last week. And it played an mp3 perfectly
while simultaneously copying 600mb worth of other mp3's from the cd drive to
a folder AND installing office 2000 from the other cd drive. Didn't skip a
beat. It was probably "accessing" the internet too, I forget.

> Or copying a file!  Or accessing the network!  Screw 'compiling a C++
> project; Windows (yes, 2K2) is a raging bomb of a performance nightmare.
> Maybe on a benchmark it caches nicely, but as a desktop it sucks.  You
> can't do two things at once without one of them slowing down.  Hell, you
> can't do one thing over and over again without it slowing down.  They
> may have fixed enough bugs to keep the registry from just puking and
> killing the OS every couple weeks, but it still will get useless after a
> while.  Reboots are your friend.  Blech.
>
> Windows 2000 could never replace Linux on a desktop.

The funny part is that you pretend to have ever ran Windows 2000. You better
stick with your Win98 box Max. It's right up your alley. But I don't need to
tell you that, you would have it no other way (running win9x).

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:47:41 GMT

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> ono wrote:
> >
> > > It doesn't have to be VBasic, for me.  However, a VBasic for
> > > Linux should be possible -- there's already a
> > development/emulator/something
> > > for Solaris that allows for the running of Microsoft VBasic;
> > > its main problem is calling [D]COM/ActiveX/whatever things.
> > And that's the point. The beauty of js,vbs is it's ability to interact
with
> > the system through COM!
> > (you can't even write a decent script-virus with linux)
>
> COM is a big hairy thing.  I think that's one little reason why
> .NET with its SOAP is being pushed by MagogSoft.

When COM is implemented right its' actually quite nice. Developing it can
be really hairy at times, though. You get to work on your "sailor talk"!

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:52:17 GMT

JS PL wrote:

> Easily. I just built a system last week. And it played an mp3 perfectly
> while simultaneously copying 600mb worth of other mp3's from the cd drive to
> a folder AND installing office 2000 from the other cd drive. Didn't skip a
> beat. It was probably "accessing" the internet too, I forget.

Sure, and I'll bet it cured your cancer too...

Meanwhile, back in the real world, my friend just mentioned
that he clicked on the icq button the other day and windows
2000 spontaneously rebooted.

Now, that's the windows we all know and love!

> > Windows 2000 could never replace Linux on a desktop.
>
> The funny part is that you pretend to have ever ran Windows 2000. You better
> stick with your Win98 box Max. It's right up your alley. But I don't need to
> tell you that, you would have it no other way (running win9x).

I have a windows 2000 pc sitting here - but since I have a Linux
system in the same room, naturally I don't use 2000 much. Basically
the only time I touch windows is when I have to deal with some pesky
legacy file format, e.g a word doc from the office. It would probably make
more sense to run the legacy pc apps inside win4lin or vmware, but
I haven't gotten around to that yet -

For my own use, abi word is fine, but I'm looking forward to the
maturating of open office (nee star office) and koffice.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:58:19 GMT

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Kev Ford wrote:
> >
> > > Windows 98 will crash every 2/3 days if it is doing any sort of
> > > networking. Witness
> > > my so called web proxy that became utterly unresponsive after about
50
> > > hours uptime.
> >
> > That explains why our Windows 98 SE system at work stays up for months
on
> > end serving files to our group of a dozen developers with no problem at
all.

> Strange -- nobody even knew about the 47 day limit for Windows until
> VMWare came out...
>
> (I've never seen Windows/DOS stay up for days, much less "months")

Its' possible provided you don't push it to hard.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would Linux be invented if?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:06:41 GMT

"kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> If I remember my history rightfully, the Volks Wagon (aka Peoples Car)
was
> designed for the average working class Joe so that they could afford to
own
> a car.  Hence, has not parallel to the hell Hitler released on the world.

It was done during the Nazi regime's economic reconstruction period before
people woke up to the fact that Hitler was going to run amok. (If anyone
actually had  bothered to read Mein Kamph back then...) Actually, from an
engineering standpoint, it was one hell of a car. The car, in and of
itself, of course, isn't evil. Of course, slave labor was later used to
build them and the military version (which resurfaced back in the 1970's as
the Thing)

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:18:53 GMT

"Ian Davey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >I like when Windows says its detecting hardware, but in reality you are
> >waiting those five minutes while it scours your hard disk looking for
legacy
> >drivers. What's really a hoot is when it installs drivers for a device
that
> >isn't even attached to your system, or when it doesn't find anything at
all
> >(until two months later when it suddenly finds your hardware).
>
> I encountered my favourite recently, when I saw this message:
>
> "Unknown Device detected.
> Please insert driver for Unknown Device."
>
> Whilst giving no clue as to which Unknown Device it was referring to.

Somewhere on the web there MUST be a file called unknown.drv...<g>

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:31:19 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:46:02 +0000, Pete Goodwin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >And when Microsoft insist that you register your product in order to run
> >it, what then? And if the only way to get it registered is on the net,
and
> >you aren't on the net, what then? Post off a card and wait for Microsoft
> >send it back?
>
> At that point I will switch to a Mac, or possibly to Linux if it has
> advanced far enough to suit my needs.
>
> I will NEVER, I repeat NEVER, agree to the above scenario and I
> suspect that if MS thinks they can get away with stunts like that, the
> company will be out of business in short order.

A rare moment of total agreement. PS/2 killed IBM in the PC market. The
above nonsense will do the same to MS. I really can't believe they'd be
that stupid!

> >These are the rumours on The Register.
>
> I know, and I "The Grinch will lead the revolt!"

True, The Register isn't exactly known for providing gospel truth (The IT
equivalent of Bigfoot and Elvis sightings). Again, when ZDNet and other
more reputable sources are reporting the subject with MS answering
questions plus the buzz amongst the beta testers...There seems to be the
element of truth about it.

> As I have always maintained, the only MS products I use are the
> operating systems and Flight Simulator.
> That's it.

Need for Speed High Stakes is pretty good too. I've used Flight Simulator
ever since SubLogic first came out with it back in the mid to late  80's.

<snip>

> >I've been using Netscape from the very beginning.
>
> So have I, and it seems to be getting worse with every new release.

And, sadly, I have to agree there too.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:34:04 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:dAo96.41129$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I will NEVER, I repeat NEVER, agree to the above scenario and I
> > suspect that if MS thinks they can get away with stunts like that, the
> > company will be out of business in short order.
>
> It is amazing what people will agree to just to keep the status quo...

Its' kind of hard NOT to agree on that.
It hurts everyone who uses their products. Whether they use them by choice
or by profession. It smells - Badly!

> But when Netscape 6 is working, it just looks such more _gorgeous_ than
> Internet Explorer!

It is pretty sweet to look at. I just wish it stayed up longer so I could
enjoy it more.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:40:10 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 17 Jan 2001 23:17:57 GMT
> <945975$svo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<snipping assorted flamage>

> I also seem to recall that DOS was the big exciting thing then when I
> came *out* of college (I graduated in '83) -- if one could call it that.
> (I also remember the "Peanut" -- code name for what eventually became
> the Macintosh -- being discussed by a classmate of mine in the summer
> of 1982 or so, or maybe winter 1983.)

Peanut was also an IBM codename for a machine they were going to place in
the Commodore/Apple/Toy computer market. It never came to fruition and they
opted for the PcJr. Which, come to think of it, wasn't a very smart move,
either. (Chicklet Keyboards? The cordless thing was cute, though)

<snip>.

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:41:15 +1200

Hi .,

> Oh, this was a good one.  I was shown what happens many, many years ago
> when my return address was forged by one of the jokers I worked with...
>
> If you fingered [EMAIL PROTECTED], you got slammed with about 10 megs of
> .plan which consisted of an enormous nonsensical subgenius propaganda
> document.  If you emailed [EMAIL PROTECTED], you got the same thing (in
> line) returned.  Really played havoc with some old systems.

I supposed these days the Feds would just cart god away for a Denial Of
Satan attack <groan>

Adam

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:44:29 GMT

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:945sil$gcj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>I was in middle school (east coast lingo; that would be "junior high"
> >>for most other north americans) in 1982.
>
> > I was in college.  Netscape?  What Netscape?
> > Hell, we didn't even have a graphics-capable terminal, except
> > for a Tektronix emulator in a Vt100.  It worked, but
> > it wouldn't have been too good for modern web browsing. :-)
>
> The first computer I laid hands on was around that time actually,
> and was a commodore PET. (I cant remember which model).  We wrote
> BASIC programs that made little ascii rockets fly up the screen.

There was a neat little hack you could write for those that toggled the
cassette motor control relay back and forth at a high rate, eventually
burning it out. Its' one of the few, non-monitor related, cases I can thnk
of where software could seriously damage hardware.

> > I will also note that RFC1945 (that's HTTP/1.0) is dated May 1996.
> > It's very hard to see how Netscape could exist without a protocol! :-)
> > Of course, HTTP might have been in use some years before it was
> > standardized -- but it certainly wasn't in use in my college years.
> > Not even Usenet existed in my college years; RFC977 is dated
> > Feb 1986.  (Maybe in yours, yttrx, since you seem to be slightly
> > younger than yours truly. :-) )
>
> Well, I was in college from 1987 to 1995.  Usenet certianly existed, and
> I accessed it through an account on a VAX VMS setup.  Those days were
> alot of fun for me; the entire internet consisted of Usenet, IRC and
> NetHack.  I actually didnt use any sort of graphical interface for
> anything until a couple of versions into Mosiac; and then it was mostly
> for looking at what I was looking at with lynx in the first place---
> subgenius propaganda.  Remember what would happen when you fingered
> or emailed [EMAIL PROTECTED]?
>
> Those certianly were some fun times.

Too bad they're gone, now...
The "community" was a lot more fun back then.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:48:53 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 18 Jan 2001 04:48:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>

> >The first computer I laid hands on was around that time actually,
> >and was a commodore PET. (I cant remember which model).  We wrote
> >BASIC programs that made little ascii rockets fly up the screen.
>
> Did you key in the Balloon Program from the Commodore System Guide
> (the fat spiral bound book I forget it's name) ?
>
> Everyone did that one with all the sprites and things.
> That was for the 64 though.

The PET really didn't have anything like that as it was more primitive than
even the VIC-20. The only thing being in the book, as I remember it, was
instructions on how to use the built-in machine language monitor.There were
a few ASCII shoot-em-up games and I recall a textual version of StarTrek
being really popular. The funny thing is remembering how blown away you
were the first time you saw something that "high-tech"  <g>

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:50:11 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 18 Jan 2001 18:46:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>

> >Yes, the PETs did not have sprites.
>
> I think I was using my Trash-80 around that time. I came aboard the
> Commodore a little late, like when the 128 was almost released.
>
> Great machine.

I've still got a Model II sitting in a closet somewhere...

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:55:51 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:11:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The
> Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>

> >Hell, we didn't even have a graphics-capable terminal, except
> >for a Tektronix emulator in a Vt100.  It worked, but
> >it wouldn't have been too good for modern web browsing. :-)
>
> We used cards and a DecWriter which looked like a typewriter only it
> used countinuous forms.
>
> We also learned microprocessor programming on a KIM-1 (or was it
> KIM-5?) unit that we built from a kit.
>
> Vaccum tubes were still being taught, although I think they stopped a
> year of 2 after I graduated.
>

> >I also seem to recall that DOS was the big exciting thing then when I
> >came *out* of college (I graduated in '83) -- if one could call it that.
> >(I also remember the "Peanut" -- code name for what eventually became
> >the Macintosh -- being discussed by a classmate of mine in the summer
> >of 1982 or so, or maybe winter 1983.)
>
> The Peanut was the IBM PC JR I believe?

No, an even simpler IBM system that was supposed to compete with the
Commodore market. It never really got off the ground. Popular Electronics
discussed it for a while and then nothing ever happened beyond the initial
report. Come to think of it, it would have been a better marketing move
than the Jr. To get a Jr truly functional, you wound up spending nearly as
much as you would on the "real-thing". A college friend of mine despised
his for that reason.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:45:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>       Nope. It's not there.

What's not there? The TCP/IP definitions? They're all there. What are
you talking about?

> It's accessed through Control Panel->System->Network Identification

                                ->Properties.

Yes, and they're all together. What are you talking about?

>       The control panel that has been in Redhat since 4.0 or earlier.

I'm using Linux Mandrake 7.2. Besides, what applies to Redhat doesn't
apply to anything else, like SuSe or Debian etc. (unless they all use
the same tool?)

No, I've just actually RUN Windows 2000 and don't just ramble
>       on about it cluelessly. You're not just ingorant about the OS
>       you bash but about the one's you promote.

>From reading what you've just said, you've just agreed with my
statement. So what on earth are you on about?

>       Advanced TCP/IP Settings Has
>               IP Settings - IP number list

              Gateway List

>               DNS - Nameserver list
>                     Resolver configuration
>
>               WINS - nameserver list
>                      SMB host file configuration
>                        netbios routing
>
>                 Options, IP Security - Toggle for IPSEC

                       Several Policy choices
>               Options, TCP/IP Filtering - port lists for udp/tcp

                            protocol list for IP

Like I said, they're all together.

--
---
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: Frank Kruchio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:05:36 +1300

All I have to say is that I have the option either to run Windows or Linux or BeOS
and from these three Windows gave me more trouble than anything.

I found it slow, unstable compare to Linux.

Also the Windows GUI is very rough compared to KDE2.

KDE2 is in my opinion much better !

You can keep your Windows.