From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:03:39 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>
> > Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> > >Joe Ragosta wrote:
> >    [...]
> > >Obesity correlates very highly with declining IQ.
> >
> > You wanna back that one up, dude?
>
> I normally wouldn't support Devlin since he says as many things that I
> disagree with vs. agree with BUT...
>
> Take a close look at some of the pioneers and visionaries in computer
> science.
>
> I know one.  Since this is cross-posted in Mac advocacy and I am a
> Windows nut this might come as a suprise for some folks.  One of the
> most primitively visionary folks I've ever met (and I say "primitive" as
> Encarta's adjective definitions at
> http://dictionary.msn.com/find/entry.asp?search=primitive) is a big
> person.  So what.  Don Brown is the best in my book.  Anyone ever heard
> of desktop automation?  Not before this guy.  Anyone ever prove they can
> cause a hardware fire purely in software?  :-) Not before this guy.
> Anyone with  a VP position ever take the time to listen and actually
> think about the ideas of the new hire at a multinational publicly held
> software company.  Maybe, but Don was the first one I met.  If your are
> reading this Don -- how'r the cats?

Are you saying that all obese people are computer visionaries?

If so, then why do so many of them live in trailer parks?

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:04:33 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>
> > Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> > >Chad Myers wrote:
> >    [...]
> > >They had their chance to avail themselves to an
> > >education...AND THEY ****CHOSE**** not to partake.
> >
> > Yes, "they" are all lazy and stupid, we know.  Now what do you do about
> > it?  You *can't* say "FUCK THEM", Aaron (I mean, you did, but...).  Your
> > libertarianite cannon may deny it, but if you do that, they eventually
> > will outnumber you and kill you.
>
> You know Aaron doesn't spout this junk in downtown Detroit.  :-) Give him a
> break, ah on second thought, lets send cassette transcripts of the "best of
> the best" of his posts to local folks along with their welfare checks.  You
> might just speed things up a bit.

Have fun finding them.

Governor Engler *CUT-OFF* welfare to all able-bodied adults 6 years ago.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.
Ballard       says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:09:51 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:20:14 -0300, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

>> >Terrible legal threat:  "we can't guarntee we eill not sue".
>>
>>         ...which individuals who don't have the financial resources
>>         to deal with a lawsuit must take into consideration.
>
>Of course. What they shouldn't be is surprised. Noone will ever
>guarantee they will not sue anyone else.
>
>It's not a threat, it's a statement of the obvious.

        ....yes, that Troll is a greedy corporate entity that operates
        under the same charter that any other for-profit corporation
        does: screw everyone else.

        This is why it's a BAD idea to allow them to own an interface.

[deletia]

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can you believe this??? (was Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was:
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:10:58 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Perhaps if you understood just how important it is for some public
> debt to be out there you wouldn't be so quick to say pay off all
> the debt.
>
> for starters, us bonds are considered a risk free investment. Now

Only by idiots.  Considering that if you buy government bonds, you
forfeit the *routine* capital growth in the stock market.  A
well diversified stock portfolio is MUCH less risky than government
bonds.

Government bonds are dollar denominated.
In contrast, stocks are backed by hard assets.  If inflation
wipes out 50% of the purchasing power of the dollar, the
government bond has lost 50% of it's value.  Meanwhile, the
stock doubles in price...thereby keeping it's real value.

[remainder snipped as spamfree@spamzone is an idiot]

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: what's up with Sun?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:07:51 -0500

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:20:32 +0000, dpace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What is a yeoulos?
>
>Oh, sorry I just figured it out; "jealous".

Oh. It sounded hebrew to me, I figured it was one of those words you
only know if you're jewish. <g>

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:15:13 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" escribió:
> >
> > Roberto Alsina wrote:

> > > What should someone do if he could, at the time, afford a child
> > > and later can't? Suggestions? Infanticide doesn't count as one.
> >
> > How many non-disabled adults does this apply to?
>
> In a recession? hundreds of thousands. You know, policies are
> no good if they only work in economic booms.

And if people's money isn't being STOLEN from them by the
government, then they have sufficient sums of money set aside
precisely for this purpose.

AND...IT COSTS ***NOTHING*** to do so, as opposed to the 80%
overhead of government (non-)solutions.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:14:36 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:04:32 +0100, Robert Moir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:32:45 GMT, Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> >The feasability of your argument is your concern.  You shouldn't assert
>that which you
>> >have no idea how to back up.  Personal experience is fine although
>anecdotal unless you
>>
>> So? Where is your original OS install disk?
>>
>> Would it even fit in your current machine if you managed
>> to find it? Mine wont.
>
>Thats not what you claimed at the start. You were implying that you could

        No, you are just too wet behind the ears to consider that someone's
        qualifying media might be obsolete or deteriorated.

[deletia]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Sherman Act vaguery [was: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:17:26 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:37:55 GMT, Joe R. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:57:47 GMT, Joe R. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Yet another of Max's convenient definitions which suit his inane
>> >arguments but which don't coincide with any other definition used
>> >anywhere else in the world.
>>
>>      Nope.
>>
>>      He could have gotten that straight out of Black's Law dictionary
>>      with legal citations and everything...
>
>He could have, but he didn't.

        That's rather arrogant of you considering that I have infact posted
        that defintion straight out of Black's Law in this very forum.

>Instead, he made up a definition which bears little or no resemblance to
>the real one.

        ...and your authority for that is what exactly?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:27:00 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:12:46 GMT, david raoul derbes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Joe R. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>wrote:
[deletia]
>It is worth noting that the Catholic schools do as well as many of the
>gee-whiz, high priced schools (like mine.)  The Catholic schools are
>not free, but they aren't very expensive.
>
>So I have a very radical way to improve the public schools. No joke:
>Bill the parents a small amount of money, say a hundred bucks, for
>each kid. I guarantee you this would produce dramatic changes in the

        There is another useful method. You allude to it below.
        Some districts have instituted 'membership schools' where
        there is no monetary cost but one of parental interest.
        These sorts of schools typically do quite well for the same
        reason that private schools do.

[deletia]

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:43:54 GMT

I really dont understand what you are getting at!

Is that sarcasm, and if so, should people with Jewish heritage interpreted
you as being anti-semitic, OR are you just plain
fucking stupid??

(Swedish myself BTW)

/IL

PS. if the first being true you really dont belong here amongst educated
people!.DS

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:38:24 -0400

david raoul derbes wrote:

> [...]
>  (c) Usually a smarter and better educated clientele (who, after all,
>      have somehow found the bucks to send their kids to the private
>      school.)
>  (d) Almost always much less daily bureaucracy and paperwork, and
>      greater autonomy granted to teachers in private schools.
>  (e) Frequently, teachers whose degrees tend to be in English, math,
>      French, etc as opposed to education degrees. Many of the
>      ed. degree teachers I know are better teachers, but they don't
>      know as much of the material as others who have degrees in
>      the content of their courses.
>  (f) The talent pool is larger. I have taught high school for nineteen
>      years, and college for two. I have a Ph. D. from an internationally
>      renowned university. I am not qualified to teach in the Chicago
>      Public Schools, because I have never earned a teaching certificate.
>      Frankly, many (by no means all) of my union colleagues (and I am
>      a union member) are very glad that the teaching certificate is
>      required. I'd be much happier with examinations and actual evidence
>      of teaching skill, as opposed to courses on "the philosophy of
>      education" which seems to me to change with the weather.
>
> I don't wish to offend my colleagues, but it is usually easier to
> make a scholar a passable teacher than to make a teacher a passable
> scholar. Some are both. Some are neither.
>
> Certainly private schools have their own set of problems. For example,
> discipline can be a real problem. We don't have kids who are carrying
> weapons, but we do have kids who are very difficult to manage.
> Sometimes principals and heads of school are very reluctant to discipline
> these kids, because their parents might withhold sizable contributions,
> or call out their high-powered lawyers, or in other ways throw their
> weight around. The public schools are largely immune to this sort of
> pressure.
>
> It is worth noting that the Catholic schools do as well as many of the
> gee-whiz, high priced schools (like mine.)  The Catholic schools are
> not free, but they aren't very expensive.
>
> So I have a very radical way to improve the public schools. No joke:
> Bill the parents a small amount of money, say a hundred bucks, for
> each kid. I guarantee you this would produce dramatic changes in the
> behavior of the parents, and thus in the kids. People hate to waste
> money. When the education is "free", some people take it for granted.
> As Ben Franklin, no fool, put it: What we obtain too cheaply, we
> esteem too lightly. Freud said that the payment was part of the
> therapy, IIRC.
>
> Finally, vouchers. As many of you may have seen, there are now studies
> from three states indicating that minority students, particularly
> Hispanic and African-American, do better in private schools. I think
> vouchers are a great idea, *provided* that *extra* taxes are implemented
> to pay for them. The bad thing about vouchers is that the money for

Why do you need *extra* taxes for vouchers, when you have just
stated above that the per-pupil costs of private schools are LOWER
than that of public schools (Primarily to lower salaries, reduced
red-tape and significantly smaller bureacracy).

> them, at present, comes out of public school budgets (so far as I
> know.)

So what?

If 25% of the kids leave the public schools through vouchers,
then exactly what is wrong with the public schools having their
budger reduced by 25%

Or are you arguing that the public school bureaucracy should be
insulated from suffering the consequences of their failures...

>  Competition is good, but I don't want to hamstring the public
> schools by stealing money from them. Also, even with the vouchers,
> many private schools remain out of budget reach for many poor families.
> Being basically a liberal, I am very comfortable with making the
> education my daughter's getting, and I in part am providing, for every
> American. I can afford to send my daughter to my own school, so that's
> where she goes. It seems to me inherently unfair that equally good
> opportunities are denied many kids because their parents can't afford
> them.

I think it's inherently unfair that many parents are denied the
opportunity to send their kids to private schools because those
funds are confiscated by the government.

Can't you see what is going on?

They take everyone's money, and in return, run the school in a
deliberately fucked-up fashion (Goals 2000 , invented - spellling,
no-phonics-allowed, there is no "truth", only various opinions
socialist propagand induction centers).  Since the money has
ALREADY been filched from the parents, most don't have the $$$
to send their kid to a decent school.

Thus, the public school systems are now actually being used by
the rich plutocrats to make sure that *only* their own kids have
a good education, and keep everyone else's kids dumb, apathetic,
and dependant....at their OWN expense!

>       The public schools can be made better. This will, (sorry, Joe)

But they won't be.  Improving the public schools is in direct
conflict with the goals and interests of the powers that be.

> require more money; but it doesn't necessarily buy better teachers.

No.  It will require taking all of the current school board members,
bureaucrats, and professors of "education" at the university, and
lining them all up against the wall to face a hail of machinegun
bullets....this will serve as a warning that the NEXT crop of
people to fill those positions had better get it right, or the
same thing is likely to happen to them.

Unfortunately, this is highly unlikely.  But hey, remember what
happened in Romania to Ceacescau and his wife.

> There is also a fear with vouchers that the better students (and perhaps
> better teachers) will bail out of the public schools, leaving only the
> terrible and less capable behind. But of course, the public schools
> can improve. Here's proof.

Who cares.  IF the lousy students languish, society looses very little.

Throttling back the main engine just because the auxillary motor
can't produce the same power is hardly a wise decision.

Our society has a great NEED for the brightest kids to be as well
educated as possible REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL THE DUNDERHEADS ARE DOING.

Or are you arguing that becuase some children are the victims of
educational malpractice, then all children should be the victims
of educational malpractice.

Goddamn, you're a fucking sadistic son of a bitch.

> There are some really excellent public schools out there,
> the equal of any private education in the country. Stuyvesant,
> Bronx Science, Hunter, Music and Arts, Brooklyn Polytechnic in NY,
> Blair in Silver Spring, Thomas Jefferson in Alexandria, Euclid
> near Cleveland, New Trier and IMSA here in Illinois, Ben Franklin in
> my home town of New Orleans... The list is not that short. What
> these are, others can become.
>
> In many cases the determining factor is parents who are at least
> middle class, well educated, and politically savvy. These parents
> work hard with their kids and for their kids so that they will
> succeed. And succeed they do.

The only real difference is that some parents take an interest in
their kids education, and others don't.

Those who *DO* take an interest in their kids education should not
be made to have their kids suffer just because the other parents
in the neighborhood are apathetic, self-centered boobs.

> David Derbes [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>

> >So much for your arguments.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.