  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. ("Kyle Jacobs")

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Caifornia power shortage...
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:16:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Static66
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I read that they haven't built a power plant in over 15 years, yet in
> that same time the population of california has basically
> doubled...piss poor government planning..

How DARE you question the wisdom of the past Republican administrations?
CA government has built a *lot* of new jails ... and, in their wisdom,
has cut back on building schools and universities because they know that
the jail inmates won't be needing the schools.   }: )

--
Woofbert <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>, InfernoSoft Datadroid
http://www.infernosoft.com/company/techsupport.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:10:22 -0500

Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Mike Marion wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>>
>> > Actually, the REAL problem is that the ECO-NUTS in California shut
>> > down practically every fission power project that came down the pike
>> > in the 1970's.
>> >
>> > If those plants had been built, a lot of oil-fired and coal-fired
>> > plants would have been taken off-line a long time ago AND Cali.
>> > would STILL have surplus capacity.
>>
>> Not to mention the growth here.  I mean, jesus, we don't have enough power for
>> the people here, yet I've not heard a single official (or SDG&E reps) suggest
>> that perhaps we should slow down the massive home building constantly going on
>> here.  What's going to happen in a year, or two when our population grows by
>> that much more?
>>
>> I shudder to think.

>Leftwing Liberal paranoid eco-freak's worst nightmare...

>Public DEMANDS for nuclear power plants.

>Of course, this is exactly the situation which the radical left
>was hoping for....a general degradation of life in the US...it's part of
>their overall strategy of trying to cause internal collapse within the United
>States so that a power-vacuum will occur, allowing them to sweep into power
>and install a Communist state.

What a mythical world you live in. The shortage is a predictable result of
utility deregulation.  The radical left force it. It was the right and the
left power brokers that get on their knees when big-business and bankers come
calling, and all the average people who said NIMBY to new plants.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:25:04 -0500

 Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

>> Actually, the REAL problem is that the ECO-NUTS in California shut
>> down practically every fission power project that came down the pike
>> in the 1970's.

Blame the correct cause. Every project under design or planning being canceled
by the utilities after Three-Mile Island.

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft using Linux
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 20:31:13 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Interesting article covering Microsoft's possible
> use of Linux in the near future and their
> discontinuance of Windows.
>
> http://www.cnbc.com/news/001208plotkin.html
>
> I suspect we will see more of these in the
> near future.
>
> But I wasn't shocked to hear him say what
> I've predicted would happen for 3 years
> now.

There is some historical and legal reasons why Microsoft can't sell a
UNIX or UNIX clone. One has to read some history of SCO and Xenix.

Secondly, the GPL is a very good licencing system to prevent Microsoft
from stealing and not sharing.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:37:12 GMT

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 08:40:16 GMT,
> Chad C. Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >Linux
> >> >

> >> Just so the crowd doesn't think your full of shit,
> >> give us just one link to a web site which proves this.
> >>
> >> Just one.
> >>

> >Try deja.com the whole thread is there in all it's glory.  BTW, I cannot
> >remember the name of the article that was quoted in that thread by Matt
and
> >Stephen Edwards.  I'm sure a search on deja will return the info you
need.

> Your going to post a newgroup thread for your proof here?

There are multiple referrences referrenced their, I don't have them archived
and don't have the time or inclination to do your research for you.

> >Disney,
Linux

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:38:24 GMT

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 06:46:54 -0500,
> Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) posted:

Linux

> >| Just so the crowd doesn't think your full of shit,
> >| give us just one link to a web site which proves this.
> >|
> >| Just one.
> >
> >http://linux.nuvoli.to.it/varie/titanic/2494.html
> >
> >You'll see that Digital Unix, NT and Linux were all used.
> >
> >Both NT and Digital Unix were not selected for the final rendering
> >because of cost, not capability.
> >
> >Linux's kernel needed significant enhancing to made suitable for the
> >process, but this is what OSS is about .... having access to source
> >which I can't take away as a definite advantage to Linux. :=)
> >
> >Anyway, the point is that Linux helped in the making of Titanic. It
> >wasn't by any stretch of the imagination, exclusively used to create the
> >graphics in the Titanic. It proved to be the best choice for the final
> >rendering process but it wasn't used for actual design and creation of
> >Titanic graphics, that was a job for NT and Digital Unix machines.
> >
> >--
> >Curtis
> >
> >|         ,__o
> >!___    _-\_<,    An egotist thinks he's in the groove
> ><(*)>--(*)/'(*)______________________ when he's in a rut.
> >

> And this is the REAL truth, not some bullshit posting
> from a moron who's refering to a newsthread rumor.

Can't refute the evidence so attach the messenger.  Penguinista prime
directive.

> Linux is what run's hollywood these days and people
> who try Microsoft W2k to perform digital rendering
> and colorization of Movies fail every time.

HA HA HA,  Been their lately/

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:34:45 GMT

Talked to death!

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: i/o in linux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:37:38 GMT

Damn, when someone sums up every post I've ever made to the Linux NG's in a
matter of sentances, it sure makes me feel long winded.

news:90u6ej$bpg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:43:41 GMT

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > Well, considering most can barely grasp the idea of double-clicking,
hacking
> > the kernel seems to be way to overbearing.
> >
> > Windows gives the appearance of being easy, but allows you to get down
> > the nitty gritty if you know what you're doing.
> >
> > Linux, OTOH, forces you to be a kernel developer to do the most basic
> > things.
> >
> > It tries not to be, but the overriding arrogance built into it is
overwhelming
> > for a novice user.
>
> Neat, I never knew an OS could be arrogant!
>
> > Why would he want to do that? Most of them don't care, they're just
> > writing documents to print out. Besides, who cares about those poor
Linux
> > users who painted themselves into a corner and are now whining for
everyone
> > else to cave to their demands.
>
> You got it wrong, Chad.  Linux arose because a large group of people
> decided to create an operating system that does what they want.

And when it does what I want I'll probably use it.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 02:34:15 +0200

> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:24:57
> >"Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:27:01

> >it
> >win9x.

> >> Even if it was written for WinDOS?  Years before MS shoved NT down
> >> everyone's throat as a desktop OS?
> >
> >If it was written to dos, it doesn't use the registry, so yes.
> >If it was written to win9x, it uses the registry and need to use it
> >*correctly*.
>
> That is for the market, not Microsoft, to decide.  And, yes, "WinDOS" is
> what you call "9x".  Windows plus DOS, covers Win95, Win98, and 98SE and
> ME, as well.

The guidelines to the registry were published long time ago.
They always included putting *user spesifics* settings in the HKCU.
Part of the reason is portability.
Unless an application does a low-level job, it can quite easily be
transfered between 9x & NT, assuming it was written correctly.

> >This guidelines has been published long ago.
>
> Yay.

So why ignore the instructions from the people who *made* the system?

>    [...]
> >> No, that's not the point in permissions.  The point in permissions is
> >> that the administrator can determine what is the machine's
> >> configuration, not the application configuration.  This isn't a host
> >> we're talking about; its a desktop or a workstation or a server, not
all
> >> three or any one, like a Unix system.  (:-D  I'm just funnin' with
ya'.)

> >NT is a workstation/desktop/server.
>
> Yea, right.  Now if only it didn't suck at all three, compared to Unix.

Guffow

> >And you are wrong, applications configuration is part of the machine's
> >configuration.
>
> Not if its user-specific stuff.

Good, you are showing progress.
If it's user spesific stuff, where do you think it should be?
A> HKLM
B> HKCU

Hint:
HKLM = The place where *Local Machine* settings are stored.
HKCU = The place where *User Spesific* settings are stored.

> >You want a situation where anybody will have access to anything, I fail
> >even begin to understand why you want such a situation.
>
> No, I just want an OS which is competitive; I don't really care how it
> ensures that I have access to anything I want or need, as long as it
> does.

How does this has to do with this arguement?

> >> Unless you don't, or you do want to, and don't get it.  Whichever.
> >
> >No, I'll always get this on a properlly written program.
>
> Ah, the naivete.

No, a properlly written program for windows store user spesific settings in
HKCU.
Therefor, when I log as another user, you will get the *other user's*
settings.

> >Show me those settings that can't be clearly defined as HKCU or HKLM and
> >needed to be update by anyone.
>
> <*chuckle*>  How about you waste your time on this, and just let me know
> when you're done.  I prefer that market competition take care of
> identifying requirements like this.  It is an unassailable point,
> however, that you are apparently satisfied with monopoly crapware.

This has nothing to do with this arguement.
Have you noticed that every time that you fail to find answers, you bring up
this "monopoly crapware" arguement? It's getting tiresome.

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:46:18 GMT

"Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:paxY5.14775$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [snips]
>
> "JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > >Well, as noted, your method doesn't work, so even if your method is 100
> > >times faster, does it matter?
> >
> > How doesn't it work?
>
> Let's try it:
> C:\>"mkdir \My Documents\misc\I_am_a_directory"
> Bad command or filename
> Hmm...
> C:>mkdir \My Documents\misc\I_am_a_directory
> Too many parameters - Documents\misc\I_am_a_directory

Try mkdir "\My Documents\misc\I_am_a_directory"

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:43:13 GMT

Ah yes, calling everyone who doesn't have all their free time to reprogram
themselves to use their computers "dipshits".

I don't even want to think about what you people would be like if you had to
(GASP) interact with HUMANS on a daily basis.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:43:40 GMT

That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:48:07 GMT

"Pan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Chad C. Mulligan" wrote:
> >
> > "Pan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > scalability

> > > True.  But if you are holding up Domino on nt as a model of
reliability,
> > > then my guess is that you haven't actually used it in a production
> > > environment.  There are 2 advantages to domino.   You can easily spy
on
> > > all the mail sent by your employees.  It is very easy to administer if
> > > you understand how to point and click.  But if it were stable, they
> > > wouldn't need to integrate sendmail into the next release.
> > >

> > Nor would I, I was refuting a statement that implied that there was only
one
> > mail package available on the Windows platform when in actual fact there
> > were at least four.
>
> I'm pretty sure I said "1 mail package of note".  Of course, there are
> also more than 2 mail packages on Linux also, but only 2 that count,
> imo.  I'll concede to the overstatement, but it doesn't really change
> the notion that when a winvocate says that linux lacks quality apps,
> invariably they are ignoring servers and programming app's (
> interpretors, compilers, editors, et al ).  Nor does it change the fact
> that most server app's running on linux are considerably more stable
> than an app with the same type of functionality on win32.
>
> And I'll add this:  Linux has more quality end user applications off
> most cd distro's than windows.

Agreed, it definitely has the largest selection of text editors every
gathered in one place.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:44:59 GMT

Your devices work perfectly because you went out and literaly re-wrote the
computing rules on your own PC.

Which granted is something that CAN be done under Linux, but making it the
defacto standard is just wrong; no one should have to do that.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:50:32 GMT

"Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90tl32$2ol0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Need or want to? Can't prototype on Win2K pro.  Which server can't you
> run?
> > Oracle maybe, but SQL server and IIS are both available on workstation
and
> > can be used to prototype.
>
> SQL Server:  The more advanced features, such as full text indexing are
only
> available on the server version.
> IIS:  The workstation version is actually PWS, quite different internally

The developer edition of SQL server can do that on workstation.  PWS is only
on Win9X on NT and Win2K IIS is Peer Web Services somewhere in between IIS
(Complete) and PWS.

> from the server version.  If I'm developing, I don't want to develop on a
> dumbed down version, I'd prefer the whole thing.

So it comes down to want to rather than need to.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:46:18 GMT

Whoop-de-doo, there's ONE.