  Need help setting up classroom for Linux ("GreyCloud")

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:04:18 -0500

Arthur Frain wrote:

> Brock Hannibal wrote:
>
> > Arthur Frain wrote:
>
> > > Maybe I'm not an expert in  stats, but a .4 correlation
> > > coefficient doesn't seem very  impressive to me. Wouldn't
> > > impress a physicist, I'm sure.
>
> > Let's consider a case of a frequency modulated waveform as used in
> > FM radio. How correlated is the resultant waveform to either the
> > carrier frequency or the frequency of the modulating audio
> > information? It's certainly less than 1, wouldn't you say, and yet
> > we are able to almost completely separate the mixed waveforms.
>
> Makes no difference what the correlation is because
> there's a deterministic (ie causal) relationship
> between the audio and the complete waveform. Same as
> there's poor correlation between plain text and cipher text
> for good encryption methods. So what? Determinism works?
> I already knew that - it's the inverse of the point I'm
> making.

So, are you claiming some LARGE sort of encryption-type noise
between actual intelligence and IQ tests?

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:07:19 -0500

"." wrote:

> > > By all means, make me aware of these consequences I have missed.
> > >
> > > Basically all I have said is that anyone who believes blindly in IQ tests
> > > is a moron, and needs their head examined.
> >
> > Oh, I see. Hmmm. A major back-pedal by adding the word "blindly."
> > OK, you can be granted your new statement. It's certainly true that
> > believing "blindly" in anything is stupid. For instance, believing
> > "blindly" that IQ tests are not measuring cognitive ability.
>
> "My goal is not to prove that IQ tests do or don't work.

This must be taking away much-needed time for your efforts to
prove that "war is peace" and "taxation is charity"

>                                                         Basically I
> believe that sort of thing can't be proven currently...  it's entirely
> possible that in the next ten years someone will step forward with some
> observation that completely disproves everything we have ever thought
> was fact about intelligence."

I believe that you're ignoring the fucking obvious truth.

Why is that.

> So, I've never said that I believe IQ tests do or do not accurately
> indicate intelligence, only that noone really knows for sure, so anyone
> taking the position that IQ tests are infallible indicators of
> intelligence is not using their brain.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:12:35 -0500

FM wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Correlation does not imply causation.
> >
> >However, Correlation which coresponds with reverse correlation
> >usually does imply causation one way or the other.
>
> Hmm, is there such thing as "reverse" correlation as
> you say it? In other words, I thought correlation is
> commuatative?

yes.

The corelation between A and B is not the same as the
corelation between B and A.

For example sticking one's hand, unprotected in a fire for 20 seconds
has corelation of 1.0 with getting a burned hand.  But having a burned
hand has LESS than a corelation of 1.0 with having put one's unprotected
hand in a fire.

A has a 1.0 corelation with B,
but the reverse corelation is somewhere in the range 0 ... 1.0

(Clues for the clueless: radiation burns (sunburn, etc.), chemical
burns (acid, lye, etc.), thermal contact burns (heating pads and
other hot objects).

> I'm pretty sure "reverse" correlation is used to refer
> to negative correlation (r < 0) rather than in the
> sense above.

See above.

> --
> The artist's only responsibility is to his art. He will be completely
> ruthless if he is a good one...If a writer has to rob his mother, he
> will not hesitate; the Ode on a Grecian Urn is worth any number of old
> ladies.
>                 -- William Faulkner

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:35:17 -0300

Let's go back a bit, where you said:

"Correlation does not imply causation. However, Correlation which
coresponds with reverse correlation usually does imply causation one way or
the other."

Correlation which corresponds with reverse correlation => causation

no causation => (No correlation) or (no reverse correlation)

no causation => no (correlation and reverse correlation)

Now, let's apply this to the relation "big feet / literacy".

I'm pretty sure literacy is not caused by big feet, and big feets are not
caused by literacy, so can we assume "no causation"?

So, which one do you say is not right, correlation or reverse correlation?
Because I can tell you both hold pretty well.

The flaw in your logic is that you could simply be seing two effects of a
single cause. Usually, effects of a single cause show both kinds of
correlation.

So, Aaron, you can not say "Correlation which coresponds with reverse
correlation usually does imply causation one way or the other", because in
most cases you will be wrong.

Unless you claim most causes have a single effect. If causes have multiple
effects, you can do the math (I hope).

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help us there!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:34:22 -0800

"Gert Elstermann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Sébastien LACROIX wrote:
> >
> >  Help us at this freevote sites
> >
> It is the wrong way to 'vote' for or against something which is under
> jurisdiction. The right way is to improve Linux to become a comfortable
> desktop OS for everyday and everyone's use at the time when Windows 2000
> becomes obsolete so that XP is no longer the future...
>
> HTH - Gert Elstermann.

Agreed!

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:45:01 -0800

"Ketil Z Malde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Actually, it's the other way round: a democracy is a type of republic.
>
> Really?  That sounds really weird when you're living in a democratic
> monarchy.
>
> > Repulic is a country without a king.
>
> I'd say a republic in the modern sense of the word is a state where
> the head of state - normally called president - is an elected
> official.  As opposed to a hereditary or otherwise unrevokable title,
> which could give you the typical European monarchies (democratic, with
> the head of state being mostly a figure head) or dictatorships (not
> democratic) and everything in between.
>
> > Democracy has very little to do with republic, and vice versa.
>
> I don't agree - the Roman republic was heavily inspired by the Greek
> democracies.
>
> > Nazi germany was a republic.
>
> And a democracy.  NSDAP was elected, you know.  Now, the party was
> using methods that weren't exactly democratic...
>
> -kzm
> --
> If I haven't seen further, it is by standing in the footprints of giants

Old true democracy embraced slavery, which was evident in Roman times.

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Customising Wrap-Up Screen. (WAS: "It is now safe to shut off your
computer")
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:59:33 -0800

"Jim Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:51:01 +0200,
>  Ayende Rahien, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  brought forth the following words...:
>

> >"Johan Kullstam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> why?  the only difference between "a unix" and linux is a legal one
> >> about rights to a rightmark.  solaris may have some nice features, but
> >> those features are useful as part of solaris, not because sun paid
> >> money to some standards organization to use the name.
> >
> >Exactly because of those features. Most (all?) unixes ship with those.
> >

> Exactly what features does solarisX86 have that linux or *BSD lacks?
>

> --
> Jim Richardson
> Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
> WWW.eskimo.com/~warlock
> Linux, because life's too short for a buggy OS.

Well, if its supported by Sun you get decent man pages on all the commands.
Also is included a trouble shooting guide called AnswerBook2 (Sometimes the
answer isn't in there).  A few enhancements like ipv6, but I suspect the
newer versions of linux also has it.  But I'm still new to Solaris 8 and
have had 4 different distros of
linux.  About the only thing I like about Solaris are the larger fonts that
I can see with.  I never could get the fonts
any larger than Huge on my 19 inch display and then some of the fonts that I
had chosen double spaced on me
in xterm.  Maybe someone has an explanation on how to get around that.  I
really don't like looking at jaggy fonts, as thats my preference to look at
better designed ones.  Sun has some pretty lousy looking fonts as well.
My real big question is : does the Sun hardware display the same as intel
hardware?
All I've ever used was DEC vt220, vt330, tek4025, tek 4100 terminals.  I
liked the vt330 in text mode the best.
Oh and of course my current video is ATI.  Other than that, in answer to the
question:  not much.

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Dividing OS to groups.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:01:48 -0800

"aflinsch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>

> > Dos based:
> > Ms-Dos
> > Dr-Dos
> > Win1.0 - 3.11
> > Win9x line
>
> CP/M Based
> > CP/M?
>   CP/M 86
>

> CP/M was available long before dos, in fact, one could almost argue
> that dos is cp/m based.

Nope. But close.  Bill ripped off Seattle Computer products for his first
dos.
Seattle Computer products was making an 8086 S-100 bus board with their own
o/s.

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux MUST DO! - Comments anyone?
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:04:29 -0800

"Gert Elstermann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jeff wrote:

> > That said... Linux development is progressing at lightning speed and
> > most of the things she lists as "MUST DO'S" are well on their way.
> >
> > It is true that Linux is there for people to do whatever they want
with -
> > unfortunately - that is not the case for people who only want to do
> > their (non-IT related) work. For those people (the majority) Linux is
> > not ready for prime time. It's close tho... and getting closer every
> > day. Linux is a flexible and powerful enough operating system that
> > it really can be everything to everyone.
>
> I fully agree. Fortunately, there are still two or three years left for
> the turnover from Windows 2000 which will become obsolete at that time
> to a comfortable Linus distribution. And, fortunately, large companies
> like IBM are supporting this process of transition.
>
> <my 2 cents> Gert.
Quite true!  Seeing that IBM has plunked down $2billion to get linux on some
big iron.
That usually anchors any o/s into the mainstay when IBM starts to push it.

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C#
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:12:09 -0800

"cat < nonsense > cola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:98ijce$14c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > And here I thought .NET was just a SOAP implementation...
> >
> > .NET uses SOAP of it's RPC, that doesn't mean .NET is just SOAP.
>
> Prediction:
> .Net is going to be the WinME of Microsoft "innovations"
> Windows developers are really starting to grow weary of the never ending
> hamster cage, replete with carrot, that MS dangles out in front of them
year
> in and year out. But, they're pretty much stuck in place --mired in the
muck
> if you will.
>
> It is the new and young developers that are NOT coming out of their
> school-required QBASIC womb with their eyes wide shut to MS marketing that
> are going to make the difference.
> Given the future of 2 years of VB with a side dish of MS's data access
> technologies, (see hamster cage above), and then a heaping bowl of MFC,
> followed by the MS innovation-de-jour, doesn't Perl, C, C++, Python, Awk,
> Sed, and even Borland Kylix begin to look a bit tastier? If you're
starting
> a career, that is. Once you're sucked up BG's ass it's a bit harder to
> perform the self enema necessary to jump ship.

LOL!  We call it the crab-pot syndrome!  Once a crab tries to leave the
others pull it back in.
Misery loves company.
Kind of like cooking frogs.  Turn up the heat slowly and then its too late.
Put em in boiling water and they bounce right out.  I suppose that's why
bills' programmers
don't know that the waters heating up while they try to program.  Once their
done,
Bill is ready to eat their products... seen too many programmers leave there
in a hurry.

> Besides, anyone watch the Silicon Summit last eve?
> Tell me Balmer didn't come across on an order of magnitude worse than a
> Republican politician. Did he even come close to answering one question?
Was

------------------------------

From: "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help setting up classroom for Linux
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:36:38 -0800

Currently, in our linux group, we have several computers on a lan running
linux.
I've read it mentioned in O'Reilley's book "Volume three" "X Window System
User's
Guide" that a teacher could type on his computer examples and have these
examples show up on the students computers.  Not sure how this could
be accomplished and maintain some security.  We have held linux
installfests,
and even had radio broadcast support for the features of linux.

There is a large interest in our community to learn many aspects of Linux &
Unix.