From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft is fired.
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:36:42 -0500

J Sloan wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Which makes you wonder:
> > >
> > > How often does Microsoft get hacked into that we never hear about?
> > >
> > > My bet:  At least once/month.
> >
> > Don't you think the hackers would be gloating over their finds if they did?
>
> What, and blow their cover?
>
> No, when they find holes in the fence, they don't
> really want them closed, unless they're "white hat"
> types.

Simply AMAZING how many Windows viruses out there take advantage
of undocumented behavior of Windows code.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of virus-writers have had access
to Windows code for YEARS

(...might even be on the payroll of Anti-virus vendors)

> jjs

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:37:54 -0500

Steve Ackman wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:11:37 GMT, J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >John Hasler wrote:

> >> And the US was _not_ founded on "Christian beliefs".
> >
> >You're splitting hairs -
> >
> >There was a strong deist influence, at the very least.
>
>   Jefferson was a Deist, yet was branded an Atheist by his
> Christian detractors.  Deism is a far cry from Christianity.

Deism is a belief in the existance of God.
Atheism is a belief in the non-existance of God.

Obviously, Jefferson's detractors were lying.

> --
> Steve Ackman
> http://twovoyagers.com
> Registered Linux User #79430

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: THOLEN IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:39:54 -0500

mlw wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> I am having a bit of difficulty relating this thread to anything having to do
> with Linux advocacy.

Regard it as a pollution control technique.

I'm hoping to convince the walking toxic waste dump to remove himself
from the human gene pool.

> --
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help: partition resizing...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:50:13 -0500

"Aleksandar V." wrote:

> I apologize in advance to those who consider my question
> off-topic; I just need a small advice from someone more experienced
> with Linux partitions.
>
> I need some more space for Linux - and I'd like to keep my current
> partitions without deleting them. I just want to shrink Windows
> FAT32 partition and expand my ext2 file system...
>
> Can this be done in an easy way or do I have to delete Linux
> partitions, play with fips and reinstall Linux?
>
> (The reason for this is just that I want to try out StarOffice,
> and I'm short of space on my ext2fs.)

wow...that's a tight situation, because you're inserting a partition
BEFORE your current Linux partition.

Basically, you have to edit /etc/fstab to reflect what the partition
names will be AFTER you insert the new partition.

I'll take a simple case.

Suppose your disk only has 2 partitions (and let's say, 10 G0

/etc/fstab looking something like this

/dev/hda1  /nt          ntfs    defaults 1 2            # 5 Gig
/dev/hda2  /            ext2fs  defaults 1 2            # 5 Gig

I assume that you are planning to redue the side of /hda1, and then make
a new partition in the middle.

Thus, after you play with fips, you system will look like this

/dev/hda1  /nt          ntfs    defaults 1 2            # 4 Gig
/dev/hda2  /SOffice     ext2fs  defaults 1 2            # 1 Gig
/dev/hda3  /            ext2fs  defaults 1 2            # 5 Gig

What you want to do is, just BEFORE taking down Linux, edit
/etc/fstab to show what the partition table will look like
after you play with fips.

You should ALSO play with Lilo to make sure that you use the
new partition

If you forget, then you can force it to override the previous default
root partition (/dev/hda2) by using a command line argument:

LILO:  boot linux root=/dev/hda3

> Thx,
> from a Mandrake 7.0 user in Yugoslavia...
>
> --
> ~ Sascha.
> My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
> (Ashleigh Brilliant)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:54:55 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:ivAc6.28074$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Everyone who disagrees with Chad with no basis for disagreeing, no facts,
> no logical arguments, just "I was a scientists, uh huh, yes I was" claims.
> Give me a break. If you think anyone believes you...
>
> > And every study which shows that linux is in any way superior to windows
> > is biased.
>
> No, just ones on LinuxToday.com and C't. There are several ZDnet ones that
> show Linux doing things better. I've never questioned the validity of
those.
> It's just ironic how there are several companies out there doing
benchmarks
> of Linux vs NT but never publish the results, or the results aren't very
> conclusive. We don't have ONE major benchmark showing Linux doing anything
> really all that well except for SpecWeb. Ever wonder why there aren't
many,
> if any benchmarks showing Linux winning anything?

No, most of us just assume that Microsoft contracts and license agreements
prohibit publishing anything that makes them look bad.   Anyone who runs
both knows the truth, though.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:53:30 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >What the he** is "slrnpull?". Look, this is simple:  Windows 2K is both
> >granular and stable.  So stop your whining.  The simple fact is that Windows
> >2K is much easier to administer than Red Had or any other Linux Distrib.
> >ever thought about. It seems to me that Linux adherents *LOVE* obscure
> >references to programs that are generally included in Linux distributions.
> >It seems to me that a lot of folk substitute "obscure and obdurate" command
> >line instructions for intellect.  Real intellect comes from making the
> >obscure crystal clear; an objective Linux has never embraced.  Indeed, Linux
> >seems to substitute simple rote memory for intelligence...don't believe me?
> >Read any Linux group. There you see people from all over Earth parroting "/
> >this and .that".
>
> slrnpull is a nasty little program whose function in life is to create
> a local news spool so that the user can read news offline without
> being connected to the internet and in most cases incurring additional
> phone charges.
>
> It's another half aborted attempt at offline news reading that Agent
> has done for years.

Little does fat-fuck-minus-minus-minus realize that this is PRECISELY
how USENET news worked for years before there was a dedicated high-speed
networking infrastructure criss-crossing the globe (or even the United States).

Back in the 1980's ALL OF USENET functioned this way.

check out the history of the use of uucp and UUnet.

> Leafnode is another half aborted variety as is "suck", yep that's the
> name of the program.
>
> Flatfish
> Why do they call it a flatfish?
> Remove the ++++ to reply.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:59:47 +0100

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

snip

> Muana Loa is an active volcano in Hawaii...where Tholen lives.
snip

Thanks...... . So possibly Tholen said something you didn't agree with, I
presume.

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using SuSE 5.3 and 7.0

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gates Vaccine
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:54:47 -0500

gryb wrote:

> Gates Vaccine
>
> If Bill Gates had done something bad,  it would have been the front
> page news of every newspaper in the USA and perhaps the world.
>
> Well,  he's done something good.
>
> The odd thing is  ---  it's not front page news.
>
> Let's hope this restores the news balance  :

> By Ben Hirschler
> European pharmaceuticals correspondent
> Davos,  Switzerland
>
> Saturday,  January 27,  2001
>
> Microsoft Corp boss Bill Gates on Saturday pledged $100 million to
> help develop an African AIDS vaccine which could be ready within
> five years, if all goes well.

Stolen wealth is stolen wealth, regardless of whether you give
it to charity or not.

The ends DO NOT justify the means.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:55:44 -0500

ono wrote:

> > So, you admit to being paid by Microsoft to spread lies.
> >
> Sure am.

There you go.

He's a shill.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:00:19 GMT

In article <3kCc6.28107$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>ext3 doesn't have the limit, but ext2 does to some extent. There's
>a half-fix, but applications still must implement it, which many
>have not.

    You are lying again Chad.

    If you said ext2 *used to* have a 2G limit on Intel compatible
    CPUs or if you said ext2 had a 2G limit out of ignorance that would
    just mean that you are wrong but since you have seen posts
    which prove that it is no longer true even on Intel systems
    that means you are lying on purpose.

--
FYI. When you do type "make" on the Windows NT source tree, it takes almost
38 hours for it to complete on a 4-way 400 Mhz PII System, as opposed to

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:58:32 -0500

"." wrote:

> mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > gryb wrote:
> >>
> >> Gates Vaccine
> >> _____________________________________________________________
> >>
> >> If Bill Gates had done something bad,  it would have been the front
> >> page news of every newspaper in the USA and perhaps the world.
> >>
> >> Well,  he's done something good.
> >>
> >> The odd thing is  ---  it's not front page news.
>
> > It is a common tactic for the robber barons in society shroud themselves in
> > "good" deeds made possible only by the crimes they have committed.
>
> It comes right down to this; alot of things are more important than computers.
> Life is one of them.
>
> It doesnt matter WHY he gave the money away;  if you were bitten by a poisonous
> snake and faced certian death unless antivenin was given immediately, would you
> refuse it if bill gates were holding the syringe?

I would STILL prosecute him for theft.

> I wouldnt.
>
> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:06:05 +0000

mlw wrote:

> I am having a bit of difficulty relating this thread to anything having to
> do with Linux advocacy.

Oh its got nothing to do with Linux Advocacy. Just good ol' AK method of
spreading more noise.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:04:04 -0500

"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:94vf20$v8i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <_9Dc6.4711$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Nik Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >But simply doesn't do what most people want to do with a PC. Go on
kidding
> >yourself about the suitability of LINUX for the consumer market, but
> >regardless of your delusions it simply isn't there yet. If and when it is
> >there as a viable alternative for people like my Mother then Microsoft
may
> >have to take a look at its pricing, but right now Microsoft has no viable
> >competition in the consumer space and hence no incentive to reduce
pricing,
> >that's the way the market works. Perhaps if you spent less time bitching
> >about MS and more time turning LINUX into a viable alternative for the
> >consumer desktop then MS might have to cut its prices.
> >

>     Having "choked off the air supply" of potential competitors is why
>     they were convicted of monopolization.
>
>     When your mother and her friends are faced with the choice of paying
>     $25 for preinstalled Linux or $150 for preinstalled Windows then
>     Microsoft will either lose most of the new computer users or lower
>     prices.

No, they'll only consider something like LINUX if its simple for them and
runs the application they want to use, right now, that isn't even close to
being the case.

>     You think they will figure your mother is not worth their bother ?
>
>     What choice will you make on your next new computer ?

Windows 2000 and it's successors. Which for me are stable, trouble free,
support the hardware and software that I use on a day to day basis,
something that cannot be said for any current flavor of LINUX.

--
Nik Simpson

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Run for the hills!
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:08:12 +0000

J Sloan wrote:

> Yours is so monotonous and single threaded -
>
> It consists chiefly in bashing Linux, by all accounts.

I'll bash anything that people here claim is faster/better etc. than
Windows when clearly it ain't.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2