From: "John Hughes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 18:49:32 +0100

"JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > Yea, and you'd kind of hope they could live up to that expectation,
> > wouldn't you.  Too bad they can't.  And it Microsoft's fault.  They did
> > it on purpose, in fact.
>
> Why do you love Microsoft so much that you CHOOSE to use their products,
yet
> you do so kicking and screaming the whole way Max? Go and download a Linux
> distribution and shut the F*#$ up! Need links? It's really not that hard
> rid yourself of any and all Microsoft products Max. I've got several
> versions sitting here. Here's Mandrake 7.1 which was a two cd download
would
> you like me to mail it to you so you can stop complaining about the OS you
> continually choose on a daily basis. Get a clue.

Linux is going to solve all your problems eh? LOL

We have had 5 distrubutions in our office and all have been crashing on the
first day. They were also not anywhere near as easy and productive to use as
W2k. All this in front of Java and Linux advocates (we all took part in the
test) who arent exactly favourable towards MS. So stop the FUD and hype, put
your religious bias to one side and YOU get a clue!

------------------------------

From: Alan Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform - was Re: Linsux as a
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 12:43:07 -0500

According to The Wit and Wisdom of Erik Funkenbusch:

> > You cannot just drag an icon to a running app on the taskbar. You drag
>
> Apps don't "run" on the taskbar.  The taskbar is just a button bar with
> process names.  It makes no sense to drop icons on buttons.

Apps don't run in Explorer.  The right pane is just a directory list
with file names.  It makes no sense to drop icons on file names.

I always thought you should be able to drop a file onto a task bar
button and it should react the same as dropping it on the program name
in explorer.
--
"I don't believe in anti-anything.  A man has to have a
program; you have to be *for* something, otherwise you

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun cannot use Java for their servers!!
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:13:52 +0100

>FreeBSD -style stability? that vill simply never happen as regard to a MS
>OS..why?
>'cause (and lets face the hard truth)
>*nix system stability is *mainly* due to only a very low-level generic
>support for ide-based hardware *and* a minimum multi-media support.

Linux has support for most IDE devices ( various IDE controllers,
Hard-drives, tape streamers, CD-RW drives, etc) and multimedia support
 XMMS - similar to winamp, bt848 based tv cards, scsi scanners, digital
cameras, realvideo, avi players, opengl, etc) and still has the stability of
FreeBSD (most of these packages could also run on freebsd with the same
stability).

*nix stability is due to being coded so that any device drivers that crash
can be restarted without taking down the whole operating system - if sound
card driver crashes, you may lose sound for a while but you can continue to
use the machine, under windoze you would need to reboot to avoid a total
crash.

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux.sucks,comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:16:33 +0100

>I posted here that something I did to my NT setup meant that
>whenever I did an "empty recycle bin" it deleted all the files
>on drive C of my machine.

There is (or at least was) a similar bug in frontpage - saving a temporary
webpage to the root of a drive and then deleting temporary webpage would
delete every file on the drive without any warnings being displayed, it was
reported as being the worst software bug ever but microsoft seem to have
hushed it up as usual.

------------------------------

From: Alan Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 12:59:50 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> You can right click on buttons.  You can even double right click buttons.
> Buttons have no facility to recieve drop messages and never have.

I think the only reason you don't see it is that is usually doesn't make
sense to have a button like like.  You'd normally use an icon instead.
However, both VB and Delphi allow you to create buttons that respond to
a drag over or a drag drop.

From: Alan Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:03:19 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8olb95$5n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Besides, they are the _only_merpresentation of running programs that
> > have no window up., so it makes sense to be able to drag stuff straight
> > on to them.
>
> Untrue.  There are other representations, for instance in TaskManager.

And how would one drag something there in Win95?

> > I'm not suggesting that every button shopuld launch an app, it's just
> > that the buttons aer the only ones I've seen that respond to this kind
> > of event. It would be better if DnD worked properly, so you could drag
> > stuff on to the button, rather than having that really wierd behaviour.
> > It is wierd behaviour, since it is the _only_thing in windows (or
> > anywhere else I've seen) that works like that.
>
> Untrue.  Lots of other things work that way.  Drag an icon over a folder,
> and hover.  You'll see that it opens up.  Drag an icon onto your Start
> button and hover, you'll see that the Start menu opens up.

Not in Win95 they don't.  This is original Win95, no IE installed.
Folders do not open and the start menu does not open.  The only thing
that does is a running app that is represented on the task bar by a
button with an icon and some text.  I'll check the NT4 at work on
Tuesday to see if it does this or not.

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux support for IntelliEye
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:29:19 +0100

>Looks like the Linux kernel has finally gotten bigger than EMACS :)

I guess that most of the huge size of the kernel source comes from supplying
all code for all platforms linux can run on - perhaps it would be smaller if
it could be separated into the universal and machine specific parts - to
avoid downloading the ppc, amiga, atari, archimedes, etc parts when you only
need to run it on an x86 based PC, same with drivers - separate the
downloads into usb, net, pcmcia, scsi, etc to avoid downloading drivers for
hardware you will never own?

------------------------------

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 18:56:45 GMT

> >If the basis of your argument is that I'm anonymous, I'm afraid
> >you're lack of awareness is showing. I'm hardly anonymous. My
> >last name and the city I'm from are in my email address. I'm
> >less anonymous than you.
>
> All the more reason not to use a childish 'handle'.  It inhibits serious
> discussion, honestly.  Subtly, but it does.

At this point, I'll have to accuse you of lack of sincerity
in your post where you indicated you desired effective
communication. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect you to fall into
name calling. And you call *me* childish. Sheesh.

Furthermore, you refered to my activities as "ankle biting,"
but since you haven't been paying attention, I feel I should
point out that what I'm doing is objecting to your ABUSE.

KNOCK IT OFF!

> >It is not my responsibility to refute what he says; that's not
> >how debate works. One does not put the responsibility of proving
> >a negative to the other party.
>
> In fact, I think that is how debate works.

You are mistaken.

> He was using a fact to support his argument.

When the other side calls a "fact" (sic) into question, it is the
responsibility of the profferor of the fact to substantiate it.

> been on him to provide some substantiation to his fact.  Instead, you
> used an argument from ignorance, by saying that if he can't provide a
> real case, there cannot be any such cases.

No. I did not. You inferred it.

C//

------------------------------

From: Courageous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 18:57:51 GMT

> > Evidently, you are unaware that over 30% of high school seniors
> > attribute passages written by Karl Marx to the US Constitution.

If this did happen, I'd warrant that the majority of the time it's
just a random guess. Why they wouldn't simply say "I don't know,"
well, I don't know. :)

C//

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Subject: Re: Computer and memory
Date: 3 Sep 2000 19:02:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Person 7" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:06:58 +0200, in comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,
>>  ("Olivier Borgeaud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >2. Memory is actually very cheap
>>
>> Memory is NOT cheap
>
> Comparatively speaking, it's very cheap.
> With PC100 prices flirting with $1/MB,
> it's very cheap.

There goes chad again, talking out of his ass.

Chad, there are other people in the world besides americans.

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 19:07:36 GMT

None of that you say contradicts what i have posted before except for one
thing...wich *ide* cd-rw:s do Linux support and *how*? (not counting
cheating like scsi-emulation)

/IL

news:8ou3gs$bcel3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 20:22:40 +0100

>Chad, there are other people in the world besides americans.

Try telling that to microsoft - Not everyone can afford the internet call
cost to download a 50mb service pack every few months as most countries
don't have free internet calls and ISDN or above connection speeds (luckily
for me I have free access in evenings and at weekends but these downloads
would still take me at least a week).

------------------------------

From: ken klavonic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why I hate Windows...
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 15:03:18 -0400

Yes, but don't you think that there's something terribly wrong with a
situation where the OS (Windows) is marketed as being "easier to use"
and "more stable than before!!" and (shudder) "more fun!", and yet only
works correctly "*if* you know what you're doing."????

To be fair, my NT machine at work has never needed rebooting for
anything except hardware changes and moving to a new physical location.
Typical uptimes are on the order of 1 or 2 months. Nothing compared to
my Linux boxen, but that's a different argument...

-ken

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Date: 3 Sep 2000 19:09:30 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:48:03 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maybe all 'current' upgrade products.  But anyone who got an upgrade to
> Win95 knows that you can't install it on a bare machine; a Microsoft OS
> has to be pre-installed in order to install the upgrade.  There are ways
> around it, of course, because it is an empty pretense used solely for
> anti-competitive purposes, but the standard installation package will
> not install the OS on an empty hard drive.

That is a lie.  I have installed Windows 95 (The very
first version) upgrade version on a blank hard disk
before.  What it did ask me to do was to stick an
appropriate prior version to prove the upgrade was
legit.  It then proceeded to install without trouble.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano)
ICQ #8899775 - AIM: Ikibawa - MSNIM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Subject: Re: Why doesnt SuSE and RedHat wait until later this autum?
Date: 3 Sep 2000 19:09:31 GMT

On Fri, 01 Sep 2000 05:05:23 GMT, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It appears that ME will also be a memory/cpu/drive pig, and while there may
> be some people perfectly willing to throw out their P-III/700 and slower
> machines with ONLY 128 meg of RAM and ONLY 10 gig hard drives for an ME
> machine that will provide video-editing (this is supposed to be original?),
> really spiffy games, and even more "Operating System Extensions".

WinME is a drive space hog, but it's no more a memory
or CPU hog than Win98 I've found.  The problems I have
had with it are:

1) My HP Deskjet 400 drivers installed in German
2) I'm having freeze-ups and I can't pin-point the
   source of them.

Overall, WinME does have very few features over Win98
that would make me want to upgrade, except system file
recovery which has saved my bacon on one occasion and
the menus which automatically hide unused
features/programs are actually quite nice once you get
used to them.