From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WOW - This is Interesting
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:35:56 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> [...]
> >ATA 100 controller support.
> >
> >> FreeBSD is a CLOSED society of developers also.
> >
> >But you're free to make suggestions and submit patches to those "CLOSED
> >society of developers" via send-pr.  I have never seen a reasonable
> >suggestion turned down by the FreeBSD developers.  For example, I
> >mentioned a long time ago how it would be nice if modules were compiled
> >with the kernel, instead of the default way of compiling with the
> >userland.  3 days later, the developers had committed to my ideas.
> >Also, I suggested that it would be nice if cp and mv supported the "-v"
> >option like Linux did.  A couple of months later, my suggestion had been
> >implemented, and the "-v" flag was added to cp and mv.
> >
> >With Linux, Linus has the final say in what does and doesn't get
> >committed to the Linux kernel.  With FreeBSD, you have a closed circle
> >of developers.  But, I've seen on the -stable and -current mailing lists
> >that ordinary joes like myself with no commit access have sometimes
> >posted patches to various things in the FreeBSD /usr/src.  A large
> >percentage of the time, those changes are committed.  So, in the
> >unofficial sense, you can think of FreeBSD as having many developers as
> >well, only except there are many Linuses instead of one approving the
> >changes. 8-) OK, so FBSD has a closed team, but ordinary people have a
> >very powerful influence over what goes into the src, what gets added,
> >and what features should be added.  That "CLOSED society of developers"
> >can sometimes act like a panel of judged approving what does and doesn't
> >get committed into FreeBSD.  Basically, FreeBSD can have many
> >"unofficial" developers as well in this manner. You just have to
> >convince the developers to review and commit your ideas.
> >
> >> They don't use the GPL license.
> >
> >Different strokes for different folks.  It would be boring to just have
> >one "true" OS with one "true" license.  Those people who dislike the GPL
> >will be more at home with FreeBSD, obviously.

> >http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> >-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>
> Let us NOT say that the people of FreeBSD have a bad product
> nor let us say that they are technically inadequate.
>
> FreeBSD is the fastest OS of the PC bunch.  Be there NO doubt.
>
> But from listening to their commentary about the Linux situation
> and how it applies to them, they feel screwed.
>
> And I understand that.
>
> It IS the GPL which gives Linux it's tremendous power over
> FreeBSD or for that matter any other program.
>
> It is my personal prediction, should Jordon Hubbard manage
> to persuade the FreeBSD organization to adopt a GPL strategy
> such as I believe he's tried in the past that FreeBSD would
> be on a radical incline just like Linux.
>
> But that would mean the core group would have to accept more
> code from various sources than they are doing today.
>
> And I'm not sure they could STAND for that.

Exactly.

What's holding back all of the BSD's is that each version's
leaders is more intent upon keeping the title of "tallest
midget at [their own] one-ring circus" rather than risk
opening things up, to become a 3-ring (or 100-ring) circus,
and risk losing their title to Andre the Giant.

> FreeBSD is a very tight nit group
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                 a social clique

>                                    of individuals who

...never learned to play with others.

>                                                       are
> extremely brilliant and talented people who not only have
> an objective toward their license but also their method
> of development.

Primarily, shutting out anybody more talented than themselves
in their little "king of the mountain" game.

When you get right down to it, that's what it's all about.
Their fucking EGOS!  They're afraid that a better programmer
will come along and put out a better piece of code in some
program than what they wrote.

> And so there you go.
>
> And as time goes on, this gap between FreeBSD and Linux
> will grow wider.
>
> I believe it is their intended strategy to attract Linux
> users to their ranks.
>
> There are two problems with that philosophy.
>
> #1.  The individual who develops will have seconds thoughts
>      about their license.  If I were to committe myself to
>      a 2 year long project to develop something, would I
>      want that code to fall into privatized hands?
>      My answer was NO and that's what the BSD license allows.

yup.

> #2.  If you like to use X and the products related to X,
>      I found FreeBSD to be 80-90% compatible.  But not 100%.
>
> #3.  As I've already mentioned, Linux has much better hardware
>      support.  But this get's back to the license/manpower thing.
>
> I probably wouldn't say ANYTHING about FreeBSD had it not been
> for THEIR UNHAPPYNESS with LINUX.

It's all politics....reminds me of so many 1960-70's Latin
American political juntas.

Their pissed off because they THOUGHT they had successfully
installed themselves up as "Unix Oligarchs for Life",...and
along comes some movement among the populace that they have
absolutely ZERO control over....and even gains the support
of even the police and the military....and although the
oligarchy continues to hold absolute reign within the palace,
the people have set up a whole new set of government buildings,
and are, in fact, running the whole country from them, completely
ignoring the petty dictators holed up in the palace.

> If they were committed to just being THEM - FreeBSD the proud,
> the rare, the special, then all the more power to them.
> But they want to be just like Linux in the popularity department.

There's no way to do it while sticking your nose up in the air
and sniffing, "ah, thank you for sending me your code...very
interesting, but your code will never be as good as mine and
because (1) YOU don't live near the bay, and (2) My friends and
I are just naturally superior to you...now, be a good little boy
and run along, and be sure to display proper gratitude for whatever
WE feel is important enough to give you."

> So we get back to this fundamental question of why is Linux
> more popular than FreeBSD and the arguments for this situation
> are simply undenyable.  Yet the FreeBSD folks WILL deny them.
>
> They have a CORE belief in their philosophy and they believe
> the reason nobody's caught on to this core philosophy is because
> nobody's ever heard of them.

No...they're just like most dyed-in-the-wool communists.  They
tell themselves that the only reason most people don't like
communism is because they're not smart enough to comprehend it.
Their EGO prohibits them from even contemplating that the reason
nobody likes their idea is because most people find it, at the
core, to be utterly repugnant, no matter how many decorations you
hang off of it.

They completely ignore the central theme of Eric Raymond's "The
Cathedral and the Bazaar" paper....namely, that cathedral builders,
no matter how ornate, can NEVER keep pace with the bazaar.  They
can win short races on an occasional innovation...but 4 years down
the road, the cathedral-builders will be suffering from a lack
of manpower, as they try to get too much work done by FAR too
few people.

> It's a lack of advertising issue with them.
>
> Yet when I poll my peers about FreeBSD, I can't find anybody who
> hasn't heard of them.  So I ask them why aren't you using it
> today and I always get some RedHat answer.
>
> I maintain their principle problem to growth lies in their license.

Yep.  That, and their attitude that any ideas or code that isn't written
by someone inside the clique shall be regarded with deep suspicion.

"Not Invented Here" syndrome to the extreme.

> If you want to be as popular as Linux you have to have a GPL license.
>
> True, they make some good arguments about performance and effeciency
> between the two systems.  FreeBSD is older and faster.
>
> But it's still the license folks.

Yup.

What they don't like about the GPL is that they don't have
authoritative control over it.

For example, Linus only maintains control over the Linux kernal
because people respect his judgement....However, the 2.4-test
kernals were out LONG before he put his stamp of approval on
2.4-anything.

The very idea of this sort of thing is abhorrent to those at
the top of EACH AND EVERY *BSD camp.

The Jolitzes suffer from the same sort of megalomania as the
FreeBSD leadership.

> Charlie

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:39:07 -0500

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:25:20 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >As an undegraduate, they don't have even the slightest expectation
> >that you will 'understand' the math, only that you know how to use it.
> >
> >You aren't expected to truly understand ANYTHING until you get a PhD.
> >

> Not true. One achieves total understanding at the Masters degree level.
> If you proceed to the PhD level you start loosing the ability to do
> things like button your shirt and remember where you parked you vehicle.

You're missing the point entirely.

With a BS degree, you are expected to know which equations to plug-and-chug.

With an MS degree, you are expected to know how to derive fundamental equations
as needed.

With a PhD, you are expected to have a clear understanding of the actual
phenomena which are described by the equations that are taught to the
undergraduate student.

Either that, or several Electrical Engineering profs at Purdue lied to me.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:40:13 -0500

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >WesTralia wrote:

> >> It's OK Aaron... we all have our "guilty pleasures" in life.  Yours
> >> happens to be Wintendo98.
> >
> >Bzzt, wrong.
> >
> >Try again.
> >

> SuSE linux on a AMD K6 500MHz.  Do I win a prize?

Of all the people, I'm surprised that Chad got it right.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:42:28 -0500

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> WesTralia wrote:
>
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >>
> >> You keep telling yourself that.
> >>
> >> I challenge you to determine what OS this machine is ACTUALLY running.
> >>

> > It's OK Aaron... we all have our "guilty pleasures" in life.  Yours
> > happens to be Wintendo98.
> >
> > There's no shame in that.
> >

> Well, even when plonked one sees that jerk quite too often.
> A R Kookis knows quite well that
>
> A) He has to be online *and* told us his IP-address to scan his
>     computer.
>
> B) Even then he could be behind a linux-machine doing NAT-routing
>     for a complete network.
>
> So we could not be sure if whe found a linux machine.
>
> Aaron,  one has to assume that you´re simply too dumb to *use* a
> liinux-machine. If you have a linux-router there, anyone with a clue

That must be why I make my living doing systems engineering and administration
for extreme high-end Unix installations.

> could have set up that thing for you, so that also shows nothing at all.
>
> Aaron, did you loose your sig already? The people quoting you did
> that leave out (luckily).
>
> --
> The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact
> that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol.
>                                                               Larry Wall

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Humbled
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:46:35 -0500

Mike Martinet wrote:

> After 10 years in electronics, followed by 8 in the software industry, I
> can't believe how little I know.
>
> You people have humbled me with your knowledge and experience.
>
> I am still here, but I find I have little to say; I learn much more by
> reading.
>
> mlw
> Craig Kelley
> T. Max Devlin
> Bloody Viking
> Aaron R "six-figure-sig" Kulkis

I'm sure there is MUCH you could teach me.  Right now, I'm stuck on a design
for some simple digital logic circuitry which would have taken me no more
than an afternoon when I was an undergraduate.

UGH!

> hell, even Erik "The Terrible" Funkenbusch
>
> You all know a hell of a lot more than I.
>
> Thanks for sharing,
>
> MjM

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:47:34 -0500

mlw wrote:

> Mike Martinet wrote:
> >
> > After 10 years in electronics, followed by 8 in the software industry, I
> > can't believe how little I know.
> >
> > You people have humbled me with your knowledge and experience.
> >
> > I am still here, but I find I have little to say; I learn much more by
> > reading.
> >
> > mlw
> > Craig Kelley
> > T. Max Devlin
> > Bloody Viking
> > Aaron R "six-figure-sig" Kulkis
> > hell, even Erik "The Terrible" Funkenbusch
> >
> > You all know a hell of a lot more than I.
>
> It is all smoke and mirrors. Truth be told, we are all jr high school students,
> smoking pot in a basement.

Hey, you're not supposed to tell people about that!
It's a SEEKRIT!

A sooper doooper seeekrit.

> --
> I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
> ------------------------
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:49:17 -0500

Michael Vester wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >
> > mlw wrote:
> > >
> > > It is all smoke and mirrors. Truth be told, we are all jr high school students,
> > > smoking pot in a basement.
> >
> > Wait... I thought someone may take that seriously. A sense of humor can
> > ricochet if you are not careful. No, I am not in jr. high. I wrote my first
> > computer program in 1977 on a PDP-8e, punch cards and all.
> >
> APL on an IBM 1500, 1972. Fortran on punch cars in 1976.

I got to skip the punch cards.
:-)

IBM 370, via 300 cps teletype with acoustic-coupled modem.

> > --
> > I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
> > ------------------------
> > http://www.mohawksoft.com
>
> Almost every person with some technology background, mine is physics,
> knows that losedos is a poor OS. The more they like losedos, they less
> they know.
>
> --
> Michael Vester
> A credible Linux advocate
>
> "The avalanche has started, it is
> too late for the pebbles to vote"
> Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.