Linux-Advocacy Digest #8, Volume #29              Fri, 8 Sep 00 19:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: The Government's Decision to Use Microsoft (Tim Smith)
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.          Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Computers and memory
  Re: Popular Culture
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.            (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.            (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform (IE for Linux) ("Ingemar Lundin")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: The Government's Decision to Use Microsoft
Date: 8 Sep 2000 14:51:48 -0700

On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:24:13 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Since the *EXACT* same thing would have happened if they had been using
>> Linux, what's your point?  (Hint: Linux and Windows NT behave exactly the
>> same way when an application divides by zero: they terminate the
>> application.  If that application is critical to the functioning of your
>> ship, your ship is screwed).
>
>Wrong. In Linux, you can write a signal handler for any signal (other
>than 9--SIGKILL), ***INCLUDING*** mathematic exceptions (which is what
>is produced by a div_by_0 error.

Irrelevant, since you can do the same thing on Windows.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:10:28 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows

Jim Broughton wrote:

> boot. REXX a software programming (language?) was pioneered on the amiga and later
> spread
> to other operating systems. (although it never really caught on and got left in the
> dust)

Actuall, Rexx was pioneered on VM/CMS.   I used it when it was still in beta testing
for IBM internal use.   It only later spread too other operating
systems and is now available on most OS.    Rexx is still very much alive with Object
Rexx available now for Linux.  There is also  NetRexx which is
somewhat of a merging of Rexx and Java.    All develpoed by Mike Cowlishaw of IBM.
Check out http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/rexx/

Gary

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.          Ballard
     says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:06:56 -0700

Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I am in no obligation to be forthcoming, am I?

Do you mean that you consider a lie by ommision permissible?

> > Such as you have been in reguards to the connections between KDE.org and
the
> > KDE Project.
>
> You have never asked me about the connections between KDE.org and the
> KDE project! How could I be anything about that?

I meant to say KDE.com not kde.org, sorry.

> > I am certain that you know there is another connection that
> > you have not yet admitted to.  Hint, does the KDE project gain any
service
> > not yet stated in this thread from KDE.org?
>
> I have no idea what you are talking about? What *is* this KDE.org?
> Our website??? Our connection to our website is that it's
> ours!

I was just about to post the information (evidence) that I had so far
gathered on this issue.  But since my typographical error may have been
misleading.

I have already asked you what are the connections between KDE.com and the
KDE
project.

You responded with:

 -------------
    KDE.com is just an internet domain, AFAIK. The web site in that address
    is operated by MieTerra LLC, who has no connection with the KDE project
    whatsoever, that I know of, except the following:

    Andreas Pour, boss of MieTerra likes KDE, and has argued for it in many
    occasions.

    MieTerra LLC hired some KDE guys (me included) for a brief period, long
    before they took kde.com, IIRC, to do contract work, which is under
    a free license.

    MieTerra LLC sells (or used to sell) KDE T-shirts.
 -------------

Which does not tell the whole story, I am sure you are aware of you ommision
of the connection between the KDE project and MieTerra/KDE.com and how it
benefits the KDE project.  I will give you another chance to state the
remainder of the connections between them, before I post my findings so far
in in relation to these connections.

> > By having you answering question that I have independently already
learned
> > the answers to is a valid technique to getting to the truth in this
> > discussion.  If I introduce a fact that would be counter to you position
you
> > could again attack the true facts as being false; which would only add
> > that noise level of this discussion.  If I ask you a question for which
an
> > honet answer is the offered that introduces the fact into the
conversation
> > then it will not a side contention causing a digression.
>
> Then I would be lying, and I would be proven a liar easily.

You said it.  ;-)  That is how you have been tripped up before as well as
this time.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:16:22 -0400

Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" escribió:
>>
>> Said Donovan Rebbechi in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>> >No, I haven't accused you of being a sex offender.
>>
>> No, you said I was a sex offender.
>>
>> >Please read the post
>> >again.
>>
>> I did; you put an 'if' in front of it, so you could pretend that you
>> hadn't called me a sex offender, but nobody who is smart enough to read
>> Usenet is stupid enough to miss that the reason you brought up the
>> entire argument is so that you could type the words "max is a sex
>> offender".  Stop acting delusional, like you didn't know you did it.
>
>I think I recall a thread where you supported the exact opposite
>position. Can you?

What, support an exact opposite position than what you recall me
supporting elsewhere?  Sure, its possible.  Occasionally it is simply a
rhetorical similarity; they're not positions on the same issue, they
just sound that way.  Most of the time, I would expect, its because you
misunderstood one or the other position.  Sometimes, its because I've
changed my position, with or without changing my opinion, since the
earlier thread.

Anyway, what 'exact opposite position' in your mind are you recalling?
I hope you're not thinking of when I said "KDE is a commercial
organization," because that's the same thread.  Are you saying I used
whatever pretense I could to post "KDE is a commercial organization"?
Are you comparing that with "Max is a sex offender"?

Stop acting delusional; we aren't that stupid.

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:19:26 -0400

Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" escribió:
   [...]
>> Oh, yea, and I bet they'd be sued for 'lying'.  They'd never be able to
>> post to Usenet, without people saying "you're a big fat LIAR".  Cut me a
>> break.  Get a grip.
>
>Have you ever heard about corporate image? Believe it or not,
>some of us would refuse to use software produced by a company
>that backed on its word not to sue a free software product.

Some of us would refuse to use software that was infringing on someone
else's intellectual property, too.  I guess it comes down to whether you
can tell if its infringement or not.  If the company producing the
software sued an infringer, they won't lose market share, why would
they?  If the company producing software sued a *non-infringer*, they
damn well should lose 'corporate image'.

   [...]
>> >linuxtoday.com, search for Qt.
>>
>> You really annoy me when you're that pea-brained, Roberto.  I know how
>> to do a search; I've got twice the capabilities in that regard that you
>> do, at least, I'm sure.  I don't need pathetic gestures like "search for
>> QT".  Thanks anyway.
>
>Well, then you had the context, stop whining. You can't hold against me
>that I provide references, can you?

That's not a reference, dummy.  Its a pathetic gesture.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Computers and memory
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:10:20 -0700

Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> You keep sticking your head in the ground there Chad.
> Pretend we (as a country) and you (as in individual) are
> perfect, and you ought to stay happy for a long time.
>
> (As my father said to me one morning, years ago, "If
> ignorance is bliss then I'm the happiest man alive.")

The sad part is that the reverse side of that coin is the man who jumps off
of the empire state building.  He is heard laughing and yelling so far so
good as he passes each floor right up until....Splat!

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Popular Culture
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:12:11 -0700

Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
> >
> >Nathaniel Jay Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
> >

> Ah, that's the one I was trying to think of.  Mars the
> Bringer Of War has been used in metal and rock music
> extensively.  I can think of two just off the top of my
> head (and three or four others that no one would recognize).
>
> Am I Evil (Diamondhead, covered by Metallica)
> Bare Bones (Overkill)
>
> OK, to address your point.  You are right.  There are a
> few artists that use the Baroque and classical styles in
> modern music.  Unfortunately, there are not a lot of
> people that take them seriously, because a lot of that
> type of music is used in movies.  People see it as 'movie
> music' and don't realize how truly musical it is.  I can
> sit in a dark room and listen to any of the Star Wars
> soundtracks and just be amazed at the instrumentation and
> the emotions brought on even without thinking of the scene
> the music played in.  But when you listen to the music
> seperately, and appreciate it on its own, it definitely
> opens up a new dimension to the movies.

A few that have been used and overused for television, movies, computer
games, cartoons and as basis for "modern" music:  Night on Bald Mountain,
Bollero, Hall of the Mountain King, Dance Macrabe, Tocatta and Fugue in D,
Bethoven's 2nd, 5th, 6th, 8th, and 9th Symphonies, Midnight Sonata (first
movement), The Four Seasons concertos (in particular Spring first movement),
the Willliam Tell Overture, *anything* by Richard Wagner or Igor Stravinsky,
various pieces from the Operas Carmen, Barber of Sevile, Rigeletto, Faust.

The two most famous and popular wedding marches in this catergory as well,
one was by Mendlson and the other by Wagner for one of his Operas.

A wonderful musical score, that fists in that catagory of music I mentioned
above, by a contempory group was for the movie Dune.  I think the group was
Devo?

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:28:53 -0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > I am in no obligation to be forthcoming, am I?
>
> Do you mean that you consider a lie by ommision permissible?

I consider that I may, by previous promises or simply by interest,
not tell you things. I will not lie to you, though, and if I say
"That's all I know" about something, I know nothing else about
that.

> > > Such as you have been in reguards to the connections between KDE.org and
> the
> > > KDE Project.
> >
> > You have never asked me about the connections between KDE.org and the
> > KDE project! How could I be anything about that?
>
> I meant to say KDE.com not kde.org, sorry.

Ok. What was the question again?

> > > I am certain that you know there is another connection that
> > > you have not yet admitted to.  Hint, does the KDE project gain any
> service
> > > not yet stated in this thread from KDE.org?
> >
> > I have no idea what you are talking about? What *is* this KDE.org?
> > Our website??? Our connection to our website is that it's
> > ours!
>
> I was just about to post the information (evidence) that I had so far
> gathered on this issue.  But since my typographical error may have been
> misleading.
>
> I have already asked you what are the connections between KDE.com and the
> KDE project.

Yes, you did.

> You responded with:
>
>  -------------
>     KDE.com is just an internet domain, AFAIK. The web site in that address
>     is operated by MieTerra LLC, who has no connection with the KDE project
>     whatsoever, that I know of, except the following:
>
>     Andreas Pour, boss of MieTerra likes KDE, and has argued for it in many
>     occasions.
>
>     MieTerra LLC hired some KDE guys (me included) for a brief period, long
>     before they took kde.com, IIRC, to do contract work, which is under
>     a free license.
>
>     MieTerra LLC sells (or used to sell) KDE T-shirts.
>  -------------
>
> Which does not tell the whole story, I am sure you are aware of you ommision
> of the connection between the KDE project and MieTerra/KDE.com and how it
> benefits the KDE project.  I will give you another chance to state the
> remainder of the connections between them, before I post my findings so far
> in in relation to these connections.

I honestly have no idea of what you are talking about. Maybe I am
forgetting something, but I have no idea.

Cut the crap and speak clearly instead of acting like some Flash
Gordon serial.

> > > By having you answering question that I have independently already
> learned
> > > the answers to is a valid technique to getting to the truth in this
> > > discussion.  If I introduce a fact that would be counter to you position
> you
> > > could again attack the true facts as being false; which would only add
> > > that noise level of this discussion.  If I ask you a question for which
> an
> > > honet answer is the offered that introduces the fact into the
> conversation
> > > then it will not a side contention causing a digression.
> >
> > Then I would be lying, and I would be proven a liar easily.
>
> You said it.  ;-)  That is how you have been tripped up before as well as
> this time.

Before? Are you saying I have lied to you? What the fuck are you
talking about exactly?

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:22:15 -0400

Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" escribió:
>>
>> Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

>> >How about you bother going to www.kde.org and look at the credits page?
>> >That should narrow it down a bit.
>>
>> Which page would that be?  Could you narrow it down a bit?
>
>The one you reach by following the "Credits page" link.
>Or the developer's gallery, if you prefer a shorter version
>with pictures. What happened to the searching skills you
>flaunted in a previous post?

Christ, what a pea-brain.

I'm presuming you know what an url is, Roberto?  You know, the reason
they have addresses for every page on the Web is so that you can refer
to them a bit more explicitly than this pathetic gesture.  And you know
what?

Every intelligent person reading this message can tell you're being a
numbskull.

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:31:12 -0300

"T. Max Devlin" escribió:

> Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"T. Max Devlin" escribió:
>    [...]
> >> Oh, yea, and I bet they'd be sued for 'lying'.  They'd never be able to
> >> post to Usenet, without people saying "you're a big fat LIAR".  Cut me a
> >> break.  Get a grip.
> >
> >Have you ever heard about corporate image? Believe it or not,
> >some of us would refuse to use software produced by a company
> >that backed on its word not to sue a free software product.
>
> Some of us would refuse to use software that was infringing on someone
> else's intellectual property, too.

Is that some sort of veiled accusation?

> I guess it comes down to whether you
> can tell if its infringement or not.  If the company producing the
> software sued an infringer, they won't lose market share, why would
> they?  If the company producing software sued a *non-infringer*, they
> damn well should lose 'corporate image'.

If the company had told the infringer "go ahead we will not
sue you", then they would lose image anyway.

>    [...]
> >>
> >> You really annoy me when you're that pea-brained, Roberto.  I know how
> >> to do a search; I've got twice the capabilities in that regard that you
> >> do, at least, I'm sure.  I don't need pathetic gestures like "search for
> >> QT".  Thanks anyway.
> >
> >Well, then you had the context, stop whining. You can't hold against me
> >that I provide references, can you?
>
> That's not a reference, dummy.  Its a pathetic gesture.

If that's pathetic, then what's your contribution?

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:33:27 -0300

"T. Max Devlin" escribió:

> Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"T. Max Devlin" escribió:
> >>
> >> Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

> >> Which page would that be?  Could you narrow it down a bit?
> >
> >The one you reach by following the "Credits page" link.
> >Or the developer's gallery, if you prefer a shorter version
> >with pictures. What happened to the searching skills you
> >flaunted in a previous post?
>
> Christ, what a pea-brain.
>
> I'm presuming you know what an url is, Roberto?  You know, the reason
> they have addresses for every page on the Web is so that you can refer
> to them a bit more explicitly than this pathetic gesture.  And you know
> what?
>
> Every intelligent person reading this message can tell you're being a
> numbskull.

I don't know the exact URL to those pages. I gave you a URL that is
ONE FUCKING CLICK AWAY. You can go and do the click, or I can
go and do the click. Guess what? I prefer that since YOU want to
see the page, YOU do the fucking click to see it.

Now, if you are too stupid to know where to click, or too lazy to
do the click, or somehow believe that typing
"http://www.kde.org/credits.html" is easier than "http://www.kde.org"
and following a link, then you are way too stupid, lazy, or generally
worthless to waster time on you.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:26:41 -0400

Said Donovan Rebbechi in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:44:29 -0400, T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
>>>And a wrapper library to map or otherwise handle the difference between Qt
>>>and GTK could be used to speed the initial conversion of programs dependent
>>>on Qt to GTK.  After that the programmers could perform the final conversion
>>>at their leisure.
>>
>>'Could' seems an awfully big stretch, TBH.  We're supposed to be
>>considering market realities, not theoretical capabilities.
>
>If you want to consider "market realities" for a change, consider this one --
>
>A succesful clone of a GUI toolkit on Linux would be an unprecedented
>event. The "market reality" here is that you just don't get working
>toolkit clones. And the fact that no such clone exists in this instance
>has more to do with technical difficulties than it has to do with
>"conspiracies".

That would make copying the code by anyone who needs it to access the
API an open exception to the protection of copyright laws, by the way,
(at least according to legal precedents, like Sega v. Accolade, Vault v.
Quaid, and Lasercomb America v. Reynolds, so I'm not sure if that's the
position you should be emphasizing.  Sure, there's a requirement that
copying the code is only allowed when its technically necessary, not
merely difficult.  But you can see where the conflict is with your
statement, I hope.

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:28:41 -0400

Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>> >Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >And a wrapper library to map or otherwise handle the difference between
>Qt
>> >and GTK could be used to speed the initial conversion of programs
>dependent
>> >on Qt to GTK.  After that the programmers could perform the final
>conversion
>> >at their leisure.
>>
>> 'Could' seems an awfully big stretch, TBH.  We're supposed to be
>> considering market realities, not theoretical capabilities.
>
>Since it was stated teh GTK and Qt were similar enough for a programmer used
>to Qt could switch to GTK rather easily, I was proposing a method that could
>be and could have been used to port KDE to GTK.  It would be an elimination
>of the technical reasons against such a port.

Yes, I figured that, but thanks for the reminder.  The actual discussion
we were having was a 'faux court' examination of the concept of
'relevant market' in anti-trust law, not technical decisions of
developers.  That discussion seems to have petered out, though,
particularly since TT GPLed QT.

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Inferior Engineering of the Win32 Platform (IE for Linux)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 22:46:30 GMT

ok thats fine...anyway i tried out Opera a couple of weeks ago and it really
rocks, nice and slick and *fast*, that one is really a hope for all Linux
users that want a browser that is not stuck in the early 90:s (including the
bugs)

so far its only a preview but i used it about 25 hours and it only chrashed
one(1) time.
(as opposed to Nutscrape that chrashes about 25 times a hour ;-))

/IL