  Re: ZDNet reviews W2K server; I think you'll be surprised.... ("David Brown")

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: US v Microsoft book by NYT reporters, reviewed by D.Lindsey
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:29:50 -0500

> > From: "Duncan Lindsey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > When Microsoft finally figured out what was happening they went into
> > battle mode. What else would we expect in a free market competitive
> > economy? Now the challenge was to see who would emerge victorious.
> > Microsoft had some advantages. Although it was late to understand and
> > develop browsing software technology, it did have a dominant position
> > in the old (then current) operating system technology. The personal
> > computer technology was changing rapidly. Either Microsoft would adapt
> > to this new Internet technology or it would eventually perish. What
> > were its options?  It could build a browser that competed with
> > Netscape and fight head to head. It did this. Microsoft knew that if
> > they lost the browser war they would place the leadership position of
> > their corporation at risk. But in this head to head browser war
> > Microsoft was at a distinct disadvantage. After all, Netscape did not
> > simply want to become the premier browser program, they wanted, with
> > the help of rivals, to replace the operating system supremacy of
> > Microsoft with browser technology that would become the new operating
> > system platform for application software. In short, Netscape wanted to
> > unseat Windows. Obviously, Microsoft didn't want to unseat itself. But
> > in the end that is what Microsoft had to do.
> >
> > Netscape set out to combine Internet browsing software technology with
> > java and API components that would allow it to replace the major
> > operating system components previously provided by the Windows
> > operating system. The center of gravity for the personal computer
> > software world was shifting from the desktop to the World Wide Web.
> > Microsoft realized that to insure the survival of their operating
> > system, they would have to include browser software components into
> > the Windows operating system.

This illustrates a key part of the US vs MS trial that was ignored by the
court.

The court was acting under the premise that MS was using it's OS Monopoly to
gain a Monopoly in a totally new market called "Internet browsing".
However, as this quote clearly indicates, it wasn't a new market at all.
Netscape was trying to compete in the OS market with the browser, which
essentially invalidates the anti-trust argument (using one monopoly to gain
another in a seperate market).

Unfortunately, MS can't really make this argument for at least two reasons:

1)  It is still denying that it's a monopoly, arguing this would be seen as
admission that it was one.
2)  Even if it admits a monopoly, the admission that the browser could
unseat MS could seriously effect it's stock prices and give the platform
much more credence than MS wants.

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:19:09 +0100

> Said Stuart Fox in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Simon Cooke in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >>
> >> Outlook is complete an utter crap for each and every potential use.  I
> >> know; I have to use it.  As an expert in the implementation of
> >> operationally functional, I can tell you with no fear of contradiction
> >> that Outlook is a monstrously useless piece of dogshit.  Except, of
> >> course, in comparison to 'nothing at all'.
> >
> >And in comparison to Notes client...
>
> I'm certainly not a huge fan of Notes; neither are most Notes users.
> Having seen the results in both medium and large companies, I'll tell
> you, again with no fear of contradiction, that Outlook is to Notes as a
> pile of dogshit is to a pile of potting soil.

In fact, one of your favourite sites to point people to singles out Notes
Client 4.6 for special mention...

http://www.iarchitect.com/lotus.htm

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa.republican,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:42:51 +0100

> > competition. Microsoft held the then current monopoly for personal
> > computer operating systems (leaving aside Apple, Palm, Linux, and
> > Solarus). Netscape began with the monopoly of installed users of
> > browsers.

What - the competition then? Of course you'll have a monopoly if your
definition excludes the competition...

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I admit it - Linux CAN be cool upon occassion
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:44:41 +0100

"Grega Bremec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> ...and Nigel Feltham used the keyboard:
>
> However (most obviously, there must be a "however", or there wouldn't
> be a reason for me to post this), I have an overclocked PII/266 (it's
> running at 292) that I do most of my work on. Not too overclocked, I
> admit. But lately, as I changed my video configuration to 1600x1200
> @ 24bpp, just starting VMWare burns my CPU out and the whole thing
> grinds to a painful hysteresis every five to ten minutes or so,
> inspite the extra fan I installed recently. What I miss is some way I
> could specify guest CPU class and/or frequency or at least the load
> VMWare would be able to present to host CPU. Running it through nice
> doesn't seem like a good idea. Or does it?

Which I believe is coming in one of the next versions of VMWare - ability to
limit the amount of processor a VM can take (or so I've been informed)

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The internet was built on WIndow 95? (was Re: How low can they  go...?)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:20:01 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:nVEv5.1237$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Actually, EVERYTHING you now see on the internet was FIRST developed on
> > Unix.
>
> It was?  I wasn't aware that TCP/IP was first developed on Unix (hint: it
> wasn't).  I wasn't aware that routers were first developed on Unix (they
> weren't).

And I'm pretty damn sure that the first widely distributed porn was in print
form...

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Chris Sherlock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.society.anarchy,alt.atheism,talk.politics.misc,alt.christnet
Subject: Re: Open lettor to CommyLinux Commy's, and all other commy's to.
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:10:19 +1000

Dude, isn't this guy joking?

Chris

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:24:39 GMT

> http://www.iarchitect.com/shame.htm
>
> STUDY IT LIKE ITS THE BIBLE AND YOU'VE JUST BEEN GIVEN THE LAST RITES.

I've been watching that site for the past three years (give or take).

As for your comments regarding my coding ability...

"NYAH NYAH N-NYAH NYAAAAH"

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:27:35 GMT

> >Functional and efficient means:
> >
> >1. Lets you do what you need to, quickly
>
> "Lets"?  I think not.  Only interoperable protocols and compatibility
> standards *enable* you to do so.  Microsoft doesn't; they just 'let' you
> lock yourself further into their crapware.

What does my post have to do with Microsoft? Answer: NOTHING. You're
obsessed, Max. I was talking about UI design as a field.

> >2. Guides you when you need guidance
>
> Oh, yea, let's hear it for dancing paperclips.  Oh, and MSDN *annual
> payments* to make.  Hoo-fucking-ray for 'guidance' on how to lock
> yourself further into crapware.

What does my post have to do with Microsoft? Answer: NOTHING. You're
obsessed, Max. I was talking about UI design as a field.

> >3. Presents information in a useful format
>
> Useful for whom?  Let me guess.... the monopolist trying to lock you
> further into crapware, maybe?

What does my post have to do with Microsoft? Answer: NOTHING. You're
obsessed, Max. I was talking about UI design as a field.

> >4. Allows you to enter information in an easy and quick manner.
>
> Glad to hear that Microsoft invented software and data entry.

What does my post have to do with Microsoft? Answer: NOTHING. You're
obsessed, Max. I was talking about UI design as a field.

> >Different people have different sets of these requirements, with
different
> >priorities. My guess is that your priorities are (1), (4), (3), (2), and
> >that Joe Q. Consumers are more likely (2) (1) (3) (4).
>
> What's your point?  No matter how you add it up, both me and Joe Q have
> similar priorities: A) get rid of the predatory monopoly inhibiting
> development and charging us disgusting amounts for the privilege, and B)
> whatever the hell we think might work, regardless of how it affects
> Microsoft's revenue stream.

What does my post have to do with Microsoft? Answer: NOTHING. You're obsesse
d, Max. I was talking about UI design as a field.

> It doesn't matter how you slice it; Joe Q. and I agree.  A monopoly puts
> (5) whatever locks you in further to crapware, ahead of all the others,
> and they suppress competition so much that even *dreaming* of '1 through
> 4', above, is too much to ask.

What does my post have to do with Microsoft? Answer: NOTHING. You're
obsessed, Max. I was talking about UI design as a field.

> As for the general concept of the ignorance of good interface design,
> you've at least gotten close to the mark.  Check out
> http://www.iarchitect.com/shame.htm, they have some useful examples to
> guide you.

I was probably reading that site before you ever even heard about it.

> Since this conversation started, I've done a little research on Quicken
> 2000/1.  Its every bit as horrid as I thought; I'm going to recommend
> Isys do a whole page on it.

Please feel free to do so. It's your perogative.

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:28:44 GMT

> So tell me, Jerry Shekhel, who pays you to post this drivel?

I'd ask the same about you, but no-one would be stupid enough to pay you to
post.

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2K
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:42:19 +1200

Too many factual errors to even respond to.

Enough said (it looks like a poor troll).

Adam

PS: Aaargh. Can't stop myself:
1. Of course Win2k can multitask.
2. Many application crashes do not bring down explorer.
3. Even if explorer halts, it can be restarted (the computer will NOT
spontaneously reboot).
4. Win2k is a stable operating system (but of course it is not "the" most
stable OS).

Phew. Enough said.

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: ZDNet reviews W2K server; I think you'll be surprised....
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:48:40 +0200

>>Millennium edition is the newest GUI Microsoft hasput on DOS and try
>>to sell it as an OS.  I believe it was released earlier this year with
>>zero fanfare.
>
>THey released something with zero fanfare ? That's got to be a first.
>
>Well I don't see why anyone would "require" "ME", unless there's some
>useful software that runs on that but doesn't run on Win 95.
>
>I've yet to find some useful Windows software that doesn't run on Win95
>( but I guess I'm hardly an expert on Windows software )

Windmill is basically yet another service pack on Win98 SE.  In fact, the
entire family from Win95 upwards (Win95 OS2, Win98, Win98 SE, and now ME)
are basically service packs for Win95, each meant (and publicly announced)
to be the final step in the family before Dos+Win and NT are joined.  With
each new release in the Dos+Win family, it gets steadily more embarrising
for MS to admit that they still cannot get the promised unified windows
working (whether or not this is a good idea is another matter, but MS have
promised it for so long that everyone expects it to happen).  Thus MS did
not want to shout too loudly about windmill.

The other reason for the low fanfare was that MS wants people to buy w2k.
Since they charge substantially more for it, they want people to see w2k as
the next windows, not windmill.  Promoting windmill would take some of the
wind out of w2k's sails.