Linux-Advocacy Digest #113, Volume #29           Thu, 14 Sep 00 15:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why NT is shite (Tom)
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Tholen digest, volume 2451802.sj209^-.000000000000001 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451802 (Marty)
  Re: I admit it - Linux CAN be cool upon occassion (Tom)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
says    Linux growth stagnating (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800 (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: The internet was built on WIndow 95? (was Re: How low can they  go...?) (Jim
Richardson)
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: "Real Unix" Vs Linux (Chris Harshman)
  Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy? (Darin Johnson)
  Re: The internet was built on WIndow 95? (was Re: How low can they  go...?)
("Ingemar Lundin")
  Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800 (Mark Kelley)
  Re: "Real Unix" Vs Linux

From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why NT is shite
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:03:51 GMT

The "Last Known Good" choice at boot up didn't work??

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:15:06 -0500

On 14 Sep 2000 19:19:15 +0800, Lee Sau Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So, why would any corporate buy MS Windows -- a non-clonable product?

Because for years MS software (the OS's in particular) have been the
best thing available.  IMO, they still are, though there is some
argument that it's changing.  Linux isn't ready for the masses.  It
doesn't have nearly the variety/quality of software, it isn't nearly
as easy to use.

Regardless, when MS took over the market, they weren't competing with
linux.

--
Stephen Whitis
Email replies should go to...

The address in the header is not valid.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,sci.astro
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tholen digest, volume 2451802.sj209^-.000000000000001
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:24:05 GMT

For the benefit of readers in sci.astro, Joe Malloy is a Windows user
who hangs out in an OS/2 newsgroup (and not by virtue of cross-posting
either).  He's another one of those people who posts for entertainment
purposes.  I even tried ignoring him for over a year, but it didn't
make any difference.  He simply sought out any response I posted to
someone else so that he could generate a reply, but each reply said
essentially the same thing (see quotation from Slava Pestov reproduced
below).  He even followed me to other USENET newsgroups to find more
opportunities to do so, and now he's here.  And not long ago, when he
didn't find any posting of mine to which he could reply, he simply
reposted one of his previous postings (see the introductory text of
that posting reproduced below).  He has also engaged in defamatory
statements, claiming that I had some "chat" with the "TPTB" here and
was reprimanded by the U of H and could no longer post from my work
account (we have no TPTB here, nor was there any chat with any similar
group, and I still post from my work account, as the evidence reproduced
below will show).  By the way, he's a professor of German at Hamilton
College in upstate New York.

Joe Malloy writes:

> Here's today's Tholen digest.  Interestingly, he still didn't respond to the
> proof of his continuing lies.  He hit the 200 postings-since-late-yesterday
> level.  To the digest improper:
>
> [Wake me, will ya, when Tholen say anything of factual importance!
> Otherwise, 0 is sum total of his real contribution or maybe even some
> negative number.]
>
> Bye!

Still unable to provide any proof for your claims, eh Malloy?  Meanwhile,
I have no trouble substantiating my claims.  See below.

==========

Malloy likes to hear himself.  The evidence:

   "I take it Tholen has attempted to digest me, but since no message
   to that effect appears on my newserver today, I present an oldie:"
      --Joe Malloy

Maybe it's because he has trouble seeing.  The evidence:

   "Where does he say anything about clergy, Tholen?"
      --Joe Malloy

   "It follows from your pontificating actions and the discussion
   of the clergy..."
      --Eric Bennett

And the question of Slava's that he continues to ignore:

   Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 20:11:34 +1000

   "Why do you post exactly the same thing in each one of your
   'digests', and then hypocritically accuse Tholen of not saying
   'anything of value'?"
      --Slava Pestov

   "[who is this "Slava," Tholen, one of your sock puppets?]"
      --Joe Malloy

And proof that Malloy still lies:

   "Notice how he *doesn't* post from his work account"
      --Joe Malloy, 2000 August 31

   ] From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Tholen)
   ] Date: 26 Aug 2000 05:37:32 GMT

   "he had a little chat with TPTB, you see."
      --Joe Malloy, 2000 August 31

   There is no "TPTB" here, Malloy, nor was there any "chat"
   with any similar group of people.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           Ballard
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:38:13 -0300

El jue, 14 sep 2000, Donovan Rebbechi escribió:
>On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:19:30 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>>> Whenever I am giving a statement of fact, I try to. If you are talking
>>> about, for example, my failing to mention kde.com's search form, I must
>>> say I did no research whatsoever, and just replied from memory.
>>>
>>> I also feel that since I was not the one saying kde.com and kde.org
>>> are entangled, it was not my job to do it. After all, there is no
>>> way to prove we are NOT entangled, is there?
>>
>>Have you not not said something the the effect that you have the pages of
>>the www.kde.org stored on your local machine?
>
>I don't recall him saying that.

Actually I did. It's outdated, though, since it's not on my nightly CVS update.

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,sci.astro
Subject: Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451802
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:38:18 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here's today's Malloy digest.
>
> [...]
>
> 207> Why not pick a more unique name, like "Fozzy" or "Kermit"?

Liar.

------------------------------

From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I admit it - Linux CAN be cool upon occassion
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:25:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Willis wrote:

> This is how I learnt, one project at a time.
> And it can be a pain in the arse when it won't
> work and you can't see the problem.  But I
> always knew that if something didn't work that
> it was because I hadn't configured it correctly,
> unlike windows and it's often mysterious and
> unexplainable problems.  Furthermore, it gave me
> a great sense of satisfaction to know that at
> the end of all that struggle I had achieved
> something.  Don't forget the educational aspect
> either; I learnt so much more reading
> configuration scripts and howtos, than by
> filling in dialog boxes.

I must agree. I most certainly learn a lot more by hunting through
config files, dumping error message output into Alta Vista and
searching for documents that tell me what that means and what causes
it, and just generally poking around.

However, there is certainly one disadvantage. I find that unless I do a
certain thing all the time, I will forget what the command was, or what
the parameters are. Using GUI tools, I am rapidly reminded along the
way. I don't use a GUI at all on my Linux machine (I just use it as a
server and firewall), so I am forced to re-learn if I haven't done
something.

I find that writing little bash scripts is handy because then I can
read what I wrote (with comments!) and that's quite helpful.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
      says    Linux growth stagnating
Date: 14 Sep 2000 18:41:00 GMT

Some errata on my previous post:

On 14 Sep 2000 17:58:13 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>Have you not not said something the the effect that you have the pages of
>>the www.kde.org stored on your local machine?
>
>I don't recall him saying that.

Oops, he did say that. But I stil stand by my point -- it's not
Roberto's job to do your research for you.

>> A simple grep for
>>"[Mm]ie[Tt]erra" and "[kK][Dd][Ee]\.com" of your copy those pages would have

Even doing a simple "grep" would be doing your research, but you'd need
to do more to grep multiple files.

>Look, if you are too mentally to do your own research and argue your own

Typo. Should read "mentally feeble".

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Malloy digest, volume 2451800
Date: 14 Sep 2000 18:42:50 GMT

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:19:32 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi writes:

Nice try, Tholen. Sorry, I'm not going to get drawn into one
of your silly little "did, didn't, did too " style dewbates.

I hereby warmly welcome you to my killfile.
<plonk>
--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: The internet was built on WIndow 95? (was Re: How low can they  go...?)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:04:28 -0700

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:48:15 GMT,
 Ingemar Lundin, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>FUTILE....
>
>/IL
>

>> Better check the calendar again, it's still the 20th century for a few
>more
>> months.
>>
>> --

Futile to correct you? I know, but the post was for others more than you.
 Exposing you're ignorance isn't work, it's just fun.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:47:40 GMT

Jim "little boy" Stuyck writes:

> Mark Kelley wrote:

>> Jim Stuyck wrote:

>>> Not an original thought in your body, 'eh?  It figures, given your
>>> "humor" comes from a Taco Bell commercial and your "logic" comes
>>> from a decades-old TV show.  Then there's that photo:  Well,
>>> "wedgie boy" surely fits.  Speaking of which, isn't it about time
>>> you updated your personal -- no, wait, that's your "professional" --
>>> web page?  After all, your most recent "accomplishment" is dated
>>> February (two and a half years ago -- the date is incomplete) and
>>> Christmas holidays have come and gone several times.  Just trying
>>> to be helpful, WB.

>> How would he update his web page?  "Current projects include making a
>> fool of myself on Usenet and attempting to embarrass both the University
>> and physical scientists throughout the world.  I do this by spending
>> many hours each day reading Usenet messages and posting thousands of
>> insipid replies that contribute no useful content but which instead
>> focus on irrelevancies.  I have perfected a style which attempts to
>> feign logic but which is, in fact, both illogical and stupid, and which
>> includes features designed to heighten the annoyance of the readers.
>> These replies are intellectually dishonest and include numerous insults
>> and lies.  I also prefer to display of disdain for all others, finding
>> any errors and using them as excuses to call them "liars", but when
>> caught in my own errors I will deny them and engage in such stupid and
>> ridiculous attempts to change the topic that I eventually tire anyone
>> who is foolish enough to point out that I might have made a mistake.
>>
>> "I have received honors for this work, including being twice elected
>> Usenet Kook of the Month.  Of course, in keeping with the style I have
>> developed, I also deny that this has occurred."

> See how simple it is to update that page?  All the "publications office"
> has to do is cut-n-paste and, voila, the web page is not only "current"
> but won't need another update till hell freezes over.  Well, that and do
> something about that photo!  ;-)

Still engaging in the lowest form of discussion, eh Stuyck (little boy)?

> Mark, you've performed a valuable service, one we all (yes, "we" and
> "all") appreciate (I conducted a tally of USENET posts).

Evidence, please.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:50:22 GMT

Mark Kelley writes:

> Jim Stuyck wrote:

>> Not an original thought in your body, 'eh?  It figures, given your
>> "humor" comes from a Taco Bell commercial and your "logic" comes
>> from a decades-old TV show.  Then there's that photo:  Well,
>> "wedgie boy" surely fits.  Speaking of which, isn't it about time
>> you updated your personal -- no, wait, that's your "professional" --
>> web page?  After all, your most recent "accomplishment" is dated
>> February (two and a half years ago -- the date is incomplete) and
>> Christmas holidays have come and gone several times.  Just trying
>> to be helpful, WB.

> How would he update his web page?

I could learn HTML and spend the time doing it myself, for example.

> "Current projects include making a fool of myself on Usenet and
> attempting to embarrass both the University and physical scientists
> throughout the world.

Why should I lie, Mark?

> I do this by spending many hours each day reading Usenet messages
> and posting thousands of insipid replies that contribute no useful
> content but which instead focus on irrelevancies.

How ironic, coming from someone doing just that.

> I have perfected a style which attempts to feign logic but which
> is, in fact, both illogical and stupid, and which includes features
> designed to heighten the annoyance of the readers.

How ironic, coming from someone doing just that.

> These replies are intellectually dishonest and include numerous insults
> and lies.

How ironic, coming from someone doing just that.

> I also prefer to display of disdain for all others, finding
> any errors and using them as excuses to call them "liars", but when
> caught in my own errors I will deny them and engage in such stupid and
> ridiculous attempts to change the topic that I eventually tire anyone
> who is foolish enough to point out that I might have made a mistake.

How ironic, coming from someone doing just that.

> "I have received honors for this work, including being twice elected
> Usenet Kook of the Month.  Of course, in keeping with the style I have
> developed, I also deny that this has occurred."

Truly amazing that you don't see the irony in your posting, Mark.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:52:45 GMT

Marty writes:

>>> Dave "Fozzy" Tholen wrote:

>> Where did that come from, Marty?

> The previous attribution in this thread.

You didn't explain whee that one came from, Marty.

> I was just being consistent.

Consistent with the lack of an explanation, Marty.

>>> Your lack of culture never ceases to astound.

>> I see that you didn't answer my question.

> Incorrect.

Tyopical pontification.

>> No surprise there.

> No surprise that you would ignore the answer I presented.

What alleged answer, Marty?

>>> Because that is what I would like.

>> Why?

> Because I would like that.

Why?

>>> Aren't you sure?

>> I have no idea what your "lead" truly is,

> Not surprising.

Because of your inconsistency, Marty.

>> Marty, given that you are so inconsistent.

> Incorrect, given that I've used the attribution consistently in
> this thread.

What do you consider "this thread" to be, Marty?

------------------------------

From: Chris Harshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin
Subject: Re: "Real Unix" Vs Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:57:05 -0700

In a word, "no."

--
Chris Harshman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?
From: Darin Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:58:42 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> ALL applications refer to "the current working directory" which is
> determined at the start of execution.
>
> If you want the app to start up from a certain directory, then GO to
> that directory, and start up the app.

I think he meant maybe that apps forget during execution where the
last directory they used was.

And if you want the app to start in a certain directory, and you're
using a GUI, it's not so simple as to just chdir there first!

> Most files are subject to be opening by MULTIPLE programs.  Therefore,
> assigning a certain filename suffix to one exclusive program is a
> HINDRANCE.

But having a default that is quick to get to is extremely useful.
The drawback to Windows/MacOS is that it's more difficult to use an
alternate application.

> LoseDows is the ONLY O/S that uses double-clicking.
>
> Most people are smart enough to NOT click on icons that they don't want
> to click on.

Nope.  MacOS uses double clicking also to start an app.  The old
classic X Windows window managers used double-clicking to resume
an iconized program.  Etc.

The snag here is that KDE is using a "desktop" type of metaphor.
It's trying to use a Windows/Mac style of interface, but with
only single clicks.  It's a situation of looking like something
you know but operating differently.

I'm a long time UNIX user, and I've used dozens of different GUIs,
window managers, etc.  And KDE confused me with this feature, and it
took a lot of time to unlearn a lot of behavior.  Ie, I single click a
file in preparation for doing a right click, I know you only need to
right-click, it's just ingrained, or I try to select multiple files,
or delete by clicking on it then typing the DEL key, etc.  Then you
get lots of things opening you didn't expect.

If an old UNIX fart has troubles with it, then why should someone
newer to it be lessed confused by KDE?

One of the key advantages to UNIX is customization; except KDE has the
same "do it our way, it's better than your way" mentality.

> copy: right mouse click
> paste: middle mouse click

These aren't consistent across applications you know...

> Why should you have to operate the mouse, then go to the keyboard,
> then go to the mouse, and then go to the keyboard again?

Actually, the MS way (I hate to say) isn't so bad if you're right
handed.  Move the mouse with left hand, type the cut/paste/copy
command with your right hand.

> > * how come font size isn't consistent among apps?  One app will have teeny-
> > weeny font while another will have big-chief tablet font.
>
> You don't have your apps' .rc files configured properly.

Because old apps don't know which global .rc file to look at.  And
because there are multiple GUI's to use.  (does the app use the
KDE .rc files, the Gnome .rc files, global Motif properties, etc)
A new user shouldn't have to know to muck with config files anyway.

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:00:32 GMT

<GASP> and it gets even more FUTILE.....

/IL

------------------------------

From: Mark Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:54:01 -0500

Hah!  You've broken into repeating the same comments over and over again
without addressing anything.  I win!  You lose!

I accept your surrender.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Mark Kelley writes:
>
> > Jim Stuyck wrote:
>
> >> Not an original thought in your body, 'eh?  It figures, given your
> >> "humor" comes from a Taco Bell commercial and your "logic" comes
> >> from a decades-old TV show.  Then there's that photo:  Well,
> >> "wedgie boy" surely fits.  Speaking of which, isn't it about time
> >> you updated your personal -- no, wait, that's your "professional" --
> >> web page?  After all, your most recent "accomplishment" is dated
> >> February (two and a half years ago -- the date is incomplete) and
> >> Christmas holidays have come and gone several times.  Just trying
> >> to be helpful, WB.
>
> > How would he update his web page?
>
> I could learn HTML and spend the time doing it myself, for example.
>
> > "Current projects include making a fool of myself on Usenet and
> > attempting to embarrass both the University and physical scientists
> > throughout the world.
>
> Why should I lie, Mark?
>
> > I do this by spending many hours each day reading Usenet messages
> > and posting thousands of insipid replies that contribute no useful
> > content but which instead focus on irrelevancies.
>
> How ironic, coming from someone doing just that.
>
> > I have perfected a style which attempts to feign logic but which
> > is, in fact, both illogical and stupid, and which includes features
> > designed to heighten the annoyance of the readers.
>
> How ironic, coming from someone doing just that.
>
> > These replies are intellectually dishonest and include numerous insults
> > and lies.
>
> How ironic, coming from someone doing just that.
>
> > I also prefer to display of disdain for all others, finding
> > any errors and using them as excuses to call them "liars", but when
> > caught in my own errors I will deny them and engage in such stupid and
> > ridiculous attempts to change the topic that I eventually tire anyone
> > who is foolish enough to point out that I might have made a mistake.
>
> How ironic, coming from someone doing just that.
>
> > "I have received honors for this work, including being twice elected
> > Usenet Kook of the Month.  Of course, in keeping with the style I have
> > developed, I also deny that this has occurred."
>
> Truly amazing that you don't see the irony in your posting, Mark.

--
Mark Kelley
Agriculture Information Systems
Purdue University

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:00:19 GMT

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:37:21 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8pqqtd$2slf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Linux is, in many ways, superior to most Unix systems.  Some Unix
>systems
>> > are much more feature rich (AIX for instance), and are really tailored
>> > work in specific environments better.  Linux is a general purpose
>Unix-like
>> > OS.
>>
>> > What old school Unix has going for it though, is a legacy feature set
>> > (specific API's that have been around for years that Linux may or may
>not
>> > always fully support).  Generally, anything written to POSIX will run
>under
>> > Linux, but not all things written to Linux will run under POSIX or other
>> > Unix systems (unless they have Linux emulation, such as FreeBSD).
>>
>> Freebsd linux binary emulation is just that; binary emulation.  Posix
>> compliancy has nothing to do with binary adherance to specific kernel
>> architecture.
>
>I didn't say it did.  But not all Linux API's are POSIX.  Thus, in order to
>have binary emulation, you must also emulate non-POSIX API's as well.

        ...which for just about any Unix is simply a matter of recompling
        them. For any other OS, the source is readily available should any
        more serious modifications be required.

--
        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:03:02 GMT

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:15:06 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 14 Sep 2000 19:19:15 +0800, Lee Sau Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>So, why would any corporate buy MS Windows -- a non-clonable product?
>
>Because for years MS software (the OS's in particular) have been the
>best thing available.  IMO, they still are, though there is some

        "It's gotta be DOS compatible"

        No, it wasn't the best, just the first one to get taken seriously
        and take an early and important lead.

>argument that it's changing.  Linux isn't ready for the masses.  It
>doesn't have nearly the variety/quality of software, it isn't nearly
>as easy to use.

        That never stopped DOS, despite lingering around for 11 years
        after Apple released their GUI, 10 years after Digital Research
        and Atari released their GUI, and 9 years after Commodore released
        their GUI.

>Regardless, when MS took over the market, they weren't competing with
>linux.

        ...they were also subjecting consumers to an OS that nearly makes
        Linux seem like MacOS in comparison.

From: Darin Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:10:06 GMT

"MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What is the problem here? There are several ways to do it. Put shortcuts to
> executables in your Send To folder. Then when you right-click a file in
> explorer, you can open it with whatever is on your send to menu.
>
> Or, you can hold down the SHIFT key, then right click, and you'll always get
> the 'Open With' dialog.

Where are these actually documented?  The first way I've seen before,
but the second I've neve heard of.  Things you just have to know...

> Or, you can go into my computer, click on file types, then options, and
> configure as many ways-applications to open-view-edit any document type you
> wish.

Except this is difficult.  What arguments do you give to the commands?
(ie, many have DDE messages, the executable is rundll32 and you have
to specify what dll and command, etc)