Linux-Advocacy Digest #113, Volume #34            Wed, 2 May 01 06:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux (serafim)
  Re: KuKuNut, USA/USAF Doctrine for Airlift Operations? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Help: Bought out by MS geeks... (Donn Miller)
  Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4 are liars. ("billh")
  Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux (Terry Porter)
  Re: KuKuNut, USA/USAF Doctrine for Airlift Operations? (Gunner ©)
  Re: Linux is a steaming pile ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: My Favorite Linux APP!! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: KuKuNut, USA/USAF Doctrine for Airlift Operations? ("billh")
  Re: KuKuNut, USA/USAF Doctrine for Airlift Operations? ("billh")
  Re: MS should sue the pants off linux-mandrake (was: Re: Winvocates confuse me -
d'oh!) ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: KuKuNut, USA/USAF Doctrine for Airlift Operations? ("billh")
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: KuKuNut, USA/USAF Doctrine for Airlift Operations? ("billh")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: Linux has one chance left......... ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Bought out by MS geeks... ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Linux is a steaming pile ("Osugi Sakae")
  Re: My Favorite Linux APP!! ("Erik Funkenbusch")

From: serafim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Windows pc gets Linux
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 10:36:01 +0200

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <9ckmdv$5ns$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > Never really used LyX, but I suppose this is close: I have written a
> > simple letter in LaTeX (+vim --- it *has* to be vim). Hell, it's a damn
> > sight easier to use than Word once you're used to it.
>
> "Once you're used to it", a telling phrase. With Word you can just start
> typing.
>
> > In fact I've just completed a 23 page document for my degree using LaTeX,
> > wih plenty of embedded pictures, tables, lists and equations. I shudder
> > to think how well it would have worked under Word.
>
> Ah, now we're onto a different tack. I'd agree writing reports with Word
> becomes a less than pleasant experience ("dammit! the picture is on the
> third page, not embedded halfway up the fourth!").

What are you comparing? LyX, or LaTeX for that matter, is hardly
comparable to word. Why not compare KWord to Word or the Word protion of
StarOffice to Word?

I use KWord or StarOffice for what they are good at and I use LaTeX for
all
other documents. I particular, I use LaTeX whenever I write documents
with a lot of mathematical formulas, because there is simply no
word-alike that can handle all the equations in a good enough manner.
Had I been a PC user I would have used Word or some
word-alike (probably StarOffice as I am used to it) and LaTeX.

If you use LyX, the steps are not that many, just click the LyX icon,
choose template,
write, and print. As simple as in Word - with one exception - the road
to get there
is longer.

I have used them all, but since I am a UNIX (Solaris and Linux) guy
since many years,
I hack LaTeX on emacs (I usually say that it is for the better control)
and use word-alike
programs very seldom.

But I think you are comparing incomparables.

/Serafim

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: KuKuNut, USA/USAF Doctrine for Airlift Operations?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 04:39:12 -0400

"Gunner ©" wrote:

> On Wed, 02 May 2001 00:35:13 GMT, "billh"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >"Gunner ©"

> >air
> >objective
> >techniques;

> >and
> >>
> >> Hummm I can see where  a number of crossovers could occur, particularly
> >> in RVN, and the Sand Box, including KheSahn and An Loc.
> >
> >The C130 flights weren't "continuous or sustained movement of units,
> >personnel, and materiel..."; however they were "pre-planned or immediate air
> >movement and delivery of combat troops and supplies directly into objective
> >areas through airlanding, extraction, airdrop, or other delivery techniques;
> >and the air logistics of all theater forces..."
> >
> >Call the USAF Air Mobility Command at Scott AFB and ask the officers in Ops.
> >
> Sounds like a might fine line there.. and one Im evidently too feeble to
> understand, particularly in KheSahn and the Sandbox

Nah.  Bill Hudson just doesn't want to admit that equipment is ROUTINELY
used in ways that lie outside their doctrinal classification.

> Gunner
>
> --
> "Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
> clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
> so stupid it is easy work."  Steven M. Barry

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 04:48:44 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Bought out by MS geeks...

Glitch wrote:

> are you trying to suport Matthew Gardiner's claim that all CEOs are
> morons?  I'm sure he appreciates that (Matthew, not your employer)

Probably not.  But, many of them are probably MBA's who are very good on
the business, but not necessarily tech or computer, side of things.

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.military.folklore,misc.survivalism
Subject: Re: Bill Hudson admits that he, Dave Casey, V-man and Redc1c4 are liars.
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 08:52:44 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> > > I did not write that.
> >
> > LOL!!!  With your record of lies upon lies, no one in their right mind
> > believes you, Kulkis.
>
> How come nobody can find it on their new servers except you?

Don't ask me, wannabe, as I really don't care.  You're the idiot that posts
about that which he knows little or nothing. A few months ago  you tried to
post what the entire classes of supply were and got 30-50% of them wrong.
Surprises no one that you've not improved.  If you know so much about class
2, tell us how many sub classes there are in class 2 and what those
subclasses are.

You're a wannabe and everybody knows it..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 02 May 2001 08:55:32 GMT

On Wed, 2 May 2001 08:36:38 +0100,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <9ckmdv$5ns$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

<snip>

>> In fact I've just completed a 23 page document for my degree using LaTeX,
>> wih plenty of embedded pictures, tables, lists and equations. I shudder
>> to think how well it would have worked under Word.
>
> Ah, now we're onto a different tack. I'd agree writing reports with Word
> becomes a less than pleasant experience ("dammit! the picture is on the
> third page, not embedded halfway up the fourth!").
I've just composed a letter to a friend, timed lyx startup(non cache)3 seconds.
Load 3 page Lyx document, 3 seconds.

Now I wanted to include a jpeg picture of my motorbike,wich a friend snapped
with his cannon SLR digital camera.

Lyx doesnt take anything but a postscript image, so
- start the Gimp (11 seconds to start up)
- read bike.jpeg
- save as bike.ps (encapsulated ps, greyscale)
- insert bike.ps into letter
- print to postscript laser printer (perfect)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Gunner © <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 02:19:04 -0700

On Wed, 02 May 2001 04:34:53 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Gunners examples of the C130 at An Loc, Mactan, A Loui, Khe Sahn, Katum, and
>> the Gulf War were tactical airlift.
>
>That was not Gunner.  As usual, you can't keep anything straight.

Ah.. actually it was me.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is a steaming pile
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 11:30:29 +0100

Hi flatfish++++

have you got bored spouting about Aix, then?

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My Favorite Linux APP!!
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 11:33:44 +0100

> XKill! I LOVE XKill! I especially love working for 35 minutes on a
> Killustrator document just to have Killustrator DIE on me with my
> (unsaved, my bad) document in it's bowels.

Realy, coming from a 'doze background, you should be used to saving every
20 seconds.

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:40:29 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> There you go.  C-130 can fulfill SOME strategic missions

You are simply an idiot who thinks the C130 is a strategic lift asset and
the C17 flew the hump in WW2.

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:41:30 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis

> > Gunners examples of the C130 at An Loc, Mactan, A Loui, Khe Sahn, Katum,
and
> > the Gulf War were tactical airlift.
>
> That was not Gunner.  As usual, you can't keep anything straight.

You are a complete and utter idiot Kulkis.  It was, indeed, gunner.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS should sue the pants off linux-mandrake (was: Re: Winvocates confuse
me - d'oh!)
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:41:35 GMT

"Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3aec3bcf$0$41635$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "JS PL" <hi everybody!> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > From a Usenet signature:

> > >  "Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to re-invent it--badly"
> > >                               -Henry Spencer

> > > MS seems to be doing just that.
> >
> > Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, that's why there are things
> > like this:
> > http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/images/Icons/navHome2.gif a near
> > exact rip-off of the home button in IE.
> >
> > http://www.linux-mandrake.com/screenshots/traktopel2.png a complete
> rip-off
> > of the Windows XP graphical interface.
> >
> > Then there's the Office rip-offs
> > http://www.linux-mandrake.com/screenshots/venus1.jpg
> >
> > It's like a whos-who list of plagiarists!
>
> I mean look at this! I love how those that claim to despite the GUI and
> everything MS like - are the first to do everything possible to copy it.
> Look at all the damn near identical copies of Windows tools and the look
and
> feel. Give me a break, these screen shots are fantastic. I didn't see a
> single original idea in the bunch.

Because its' what most users are clamoring for. A sizable majority of
desktop users prefer dazzle to functionality. (I hate what I saw,
personally). I know Linux needs to move in that direction to become viable
as a consumer desktop. More power to 'em! Just keep FVWM2 around for us
jaded types, please.

The only MS-like thing I'd really like to see is a VisualStudio-ish IDE with
workable completion. (A real plus when working with heavily subclassed
objects) If I ever find the spare time to program for *myself* again, I'll
write the damned thing! EMACS is fine for the simple stuff, but damn,
VisualStudio with Whole Tomato's VisualAssist installed is a dream to work
with.

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:41:56 GMT

"Gunner ©"

> >> Gunners examples of the C130 at An Loc, Mactan, A Loui, Khe Sahn,
Katum, and
> >> the Gulf War were tactical airlift.
> >
> >That was not Gunner.  As usual, you can't keep anything straight.
> >
> Ah.. actually it was me.
>
> Gunner

Kulkis is an idiot.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 11:43:26 +0100

> Port edit.com, because every Linux editor is FAR too complex and
> bass-ackwards to be of any use to a regular user (like me)

If you can' manage to use kedit, gedit, pico or xedit, then you shouldn't
be using a computer.

-Ed

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles,soc.men,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 09:44:16 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis

> Nah.  Bill Hudson just doesn't want to admit that equipment is ROUTINELY
> used in ways that lie outside their doctrinal classification.

Happens quit often, Kulkis.  That doesn't change the fact of your idiocy in
claiming the C130 is a strategic lift asset.  You're a liar and a pathetic
wannabe, KuKuNut.  Nothing more, nothing less.

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 10:31:57 +0100

Ian Davey wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Police don't have the manpower.  There are only 55,000 law enforcement officers
> >TOTAL, at all levels (local, county, state, federal) in the entire country.
>
> Are you sure about that? There's over 125,000 police officers in the UK, and
> we're a lot smaller than the US... so it sounds like a surprisingly small
> number.

Perhaps he's missing a zero somewhere; 550,000 would be about the right
sort of scale, given population levels...

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Name me one elf who wants to go to Blackpool after he dies.

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 10:34:10 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> About 6 years ago, some Michigan Army National Guard soldiers got lost
> and wandered into the impact zone of a rifle range just before a night fire.
>
> Despite calls from the range's control tower telling anyone downrange to
> identify themselves before the range went "hot", they never did (to this
> day, nobody knows why).
>
> All three suffered very violent deaths.

Trying to win a Darwin award, were they?

Donal.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 11:46:44 +0100

>> You use those deep, complex apps mentioned at the top of your missive,
>> yet you're boggled by a /text/ editor such as joe or pico?
>
> They're no brainers because they're visual applications. Icons are
> self-explanatory (most of the time anyway).
Only if you know what they mean.

>Start up TeX, what do you
> see? How do I save the file?

It does not work like that.

>How do I insert typographer's quotes? How

`` ''. All in the manual.

> do I edit the master page? (IS there a master page?) How do I edit the
> master guides? How do I apply a duotone? (can I apply a duotone?)

RTFM. Go adnd buy `The TeX Book' by D. E. Knuth, or `LaTeX: A document
preparation system' by L. Lamport.

> They're console apps, and it's very criptic, not visual at all. You
> can't use previous knowledge of anything, as obvious as it might be.

Whatever. I couldn't be bothered to refute this FUD.

>> Your left hemisphere knows not what your right does. An obvious
>> commisurectomy! Chris
>
> ??!

You calimes all editors on Linux were too difficult to use. LOL!

-ed

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bought out by MS geeks...
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 04:49:55 -0500

"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
> > I just *LOVE* Windows software written by Unix programmers (NOT).
>
> Why?  Are unix programmers somehow inferior to MS programmers?  Oh yeah,
> unix programmers don't use Hungarian Notation!  But seriously, if
> there's one thing I hate about unix programmers, it's that they are
> afraid to give variables meaningful names in programs.  Most unix
> programmers will tell you they believe that you should make variable
> names as small as possible, i.e., you should create a variable names "f"
> instead of "fileName" or "file_name".  That's just horse-crap, dude.
> Just because unix command names are short doesn't mean every variable in
> your code has to be 2 letters or less.

I used to maintain an MRP system on DG/UX (it was called Minx) that was so
incredibly bad.  The software did different things depending on what its
name was.  While in and of itself, that may not be bad, how it was
implemented sucked royally (decision trees throughout the code based on
various switches set depending on the name).  It was next to impossible to
debug fully, and a change in one part of the program could completely change
how other copies ran.

But regardless, that wasn't what I meant.  I meant that most Unix
programmers that write Windows code, tend to do so with a Unix mindset, such
as massive command line arguments (even for GUI apps), spawning new
processes instead of threads (for instance, instead of having thread pools
listen to sockets, they make you run multiple copies of the app), etc..

> > Perhaps you might consider becoming more flexible, rather than
dead-ending
> > yourself with a single skillset.
>
> I agree.  I am not crazy about Windows by any stretch of the
> imagination, but there are too many jobs that involve at least some
> involvement with Windows 9X, NT, or 2000.  I try to stay with pure unix,
> but I will grudgingly accept a job that involves SOME Windows along with
> Solaris, BSD or Linux.  I figure my skills could come in handy in some
> porting efforts.

Indeed, it might be said that most Unix programmers will need to have
windows experience within a few years, since some level of interaction will
probably be necessary.

------------------------------

From: "Osugi Sakae" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 19:01:09 +0900

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Linux is just a freaking pile of steaming crap!!!!!

good "i am just trolling" start. not especially imaginative. no points.

> I spent 2 days trying to install some piece of garbage called Susa and
> despite finally getting the mutha installed, now I don't have a clue as
> to what I should do with it?

"Susa" and "mutha" - so we are imitating an 'uneducated,
underpriviledged' troll? Ok. Not funny, but ok. no points.

> It just sits there looking at me with a command prompt?

oops, you showed some computer knowledge. command prompt. "black
screen with blinking thingy" or "its broken" might have been more
believable. negative points.

> The book says I have to read the How-To's, but is there a How-To on how
> to read the How-To's?

No, no, no. No real troll ever admits to having read anything. Or any
desire or willingness to read anything either. more negative points i'm
afraid.

> I tried typing in #"read How-To's" but it didn't work (minus quotes of
> course).

a real 'uneducated user' would not have known to not include the quotes.
your computer knowledge shows through again. negative points.

> I can't believe that a program that takes 1.9 gig of space does nothing,
> but according to people I have talked to Linux really sux the big one,
> so who knows.

trite. the type of person you are imitating does not know anyone who
knows anything about computers.

> Thank god I ran a driveimage before installing this virus because the
> mutha destroyed my Win98 partitions and all my data. What a nasty SOB
> this Linux thing is.

you know enough to do (and be able to do) a complete backup before
starting to install an os, but somehow miss the install options dealing
with booting to the gui and disk partitioning? No, one requires too much
intelligence to allow for the other to happen, at least for a person of
the sort you are pretending to be.

> So anywhow, how the hell do I find these How-To things and where do I
> find one for AOL because that's me ISP of choice...

start by calling it crap and end by asking for help finding the how-to's?
more stupidity (anyone who could find this newsgroup and post to it could
also find google).

AOL remark is right on target though.

> Spike

Snoopy's bro'? Well, that explains a lot.

Overall, your trolling ability seems minimal. Do not try! Do! There is no
try! But in your case, we'll make an exception. Try harder.

--
Osugi Sakae

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 05:02:43 -0500

"Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > He does have somewhat of a point.
> Only that a lot of Linux apps are not above ver 1.0. However I see no
> reason to support his other clain, that its unstable as a result ?

Not even AT 1.0, much less above.

> >  Not just Linux, of course, but much of
> > the Open Source software is pre 1.0 and has been that way for years.
For
> > instance, many of the window managers such as blackbox, enlightenment,
> > Windowmaker, etc..  Hell, even Gnome stayed pre-1.0 for a LONG time.
> True, maybee its our CVS that only adds 0.01 to every revision ;-)

Many revision control tools on Windows also do.  PVCS, MKS SI, Perforce,
etc..

> > I'm sure some people will say this is a good thing, that products aren't
> > being rushed to release before they're ready.  On the other hand, it's a
> > handy excuse as to why your product is unstable simply to never go to
1.0.
> Have you found Linux software to be generally unstable Eric?

Depends, really.  I've found most window managers to be very unstable.
There are a few that are quite good, but most are buggy at best.

Star Office i've found to be quite buggy, as was Applix when I last used it
(it's been a while).

Generally speaking (with a few exceptions, such as TeX), the more complex a
piece of software is, the higher the incidence of bugs and instability.  To
my knowledge, TeX (not LaTeX) is the only piece of generally available
non-trivial software that can claim to be bug-free.  (Knuth fixed the last
bug many years ago and has some kind of reward if you find a bug).

But in any event, the frequency of bugs is irrelevant to this conversation,
which is that lots of Linux software sits behind 0.x version numbers for
years.