Linux-Advocacy Digest #362, Volume #29           Sat, 30 Sep 00 02:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Chris
Sherlock)
  Re: Windows+Linux+MacOS = BeOS (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Why I hate Windows... (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Goldhammer)
  Re: Why I hate Windows... (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Linux to reach NT 3.51 proportions in next 2 years (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (FM)
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
("Blacknight")
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the    (Chris
Sherlock)
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the    (Chris
Sherlock)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: How low can they go...? (Mike Byrns)
  Re: How low can they go...? (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: How low can they go...? (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: How low can they go...? (Mike Byrns)
  Re: How low can they go...? (Chris Sherlock)

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:08:11 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)

FM wrote:

> Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >How much do you think I make?
>
> Well you don't have to make much at all to beat me. Check where my
> messages are coming from.

Ah... college student! That explains all :)

> >Common Lisp? Wooo... I've seen a bit of Lisp and it looks like line
> >noise :) Maybe one day when I get around to it I will have a look at
> >these languages. I've heard pretty good things about Scheme and Lisp,
> >but that's about it.
>
> Scheme's simply awesome.

Any URLs?

> Common Lisp, I have dubious feelings about, but it
> seems to allow people to get real work done, in a
> portable manner.

That's good enough for me!

> Dan.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:16:37 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows+Linux+MacOS = BeOS

Perhaps it's because computer geeks don't make cool music.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:23:28 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why I hate Windows...

And far, far more expensive.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Goldhammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 04:21:32 GMT

wrote:

> > >Half the OS projects out there are about being a thousand times
> > >more efficient, reliable, and secure than Unix and it will never
> > >be sufficient.
> >
> > Can you explain what you mean here? Can you provide specific
> > examples?
>
> OS supremacy has to do with politics and nothing more.

I would say that OS advocacy has to do with politics, fashion,
vogue, and nothing more.

OS supremacy has to do with performance under specified
(sometimes extreme) condition.

That I require my OS to by responsive on demand while
concurrently execting mind-boggling side-tasks, is not
a political exercise.

It's something I require.

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:28:10 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

James Stutts wrote:

> "D. Spider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > And the DOS (renamed "Win9x" then renamed "WinME") line is less
> > commercial than the NT line?
>
> Sure it is.  It costs quite a bit less than NT.  You do get what you pay
> for.

I pay hardly anything for Linux and I have an *extremely* stable O/S! I
guess that *I* got what I paid for.

[snip]

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 15:47:01 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux to reach NT 3.51 proportions in next 2 years

Along the lines of "Navigating" through a solar system/file system, has
anyone seen the Doom version written to kill processes? Can't remember
to URL, but AFAIK the larger the process the harder it was to kill.

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Date: 30 Sep 2000 04:36:54 GMT

Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>FM wrote:
>> Well you don't have to make much at all to beat me. Check where my
>> messages are coming from.

>Ah... college student! That explains all :)

Yup :)

>> Scheme's simply awesome.

>Any URLs?

http://www.schemers.org

http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/Teaching/Lectures/Released/

And the infamous SICP (Structure and Interpretation
of Computer Programs), of course, though it really
isn't meant as a book to teach scheme, but rather as
a book that uses scheme to introduce fundamental
concepts for programming and Computer Science in
general.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: "Blacknight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 05:12:40 GMT

That is correct, However this threat is insinuting that Windows98 freezes up
all the time. And the fact is that it does not. There are plenty of people
who have managed to run it nearly seemlessly myself included. I am not a
Linux expert and do not claim to be, but I have had no problems using
Windows in it's intended environment. For you to wholesalely deminish
Windows to Not a Good Operating System is an unfair conclusion.

news:CaaB5.893$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:11:24 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the

This is why I search in Google when I need to find info about MS
products. I put the words site:.microsoft.com in front of my keywords.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:29:48 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98

ROTFWL!

Chris

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:36:00 -0400

Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>El jue, 28 sep 2000, Richard escribió:
   [...]
>>> That if permanent contact was an important cause of psychopathy, it would be
>>> simple to show cases where it occured.
>>
>>          "When, for a time, we created a program at Oak
>>          Ridge which had only psychopathic patients in it, there
>>          was constant intense interaction. But it was all heat and
>>          no light. It's tough for people with a well developed
>>          conscience -- trusting, empathic, affectionate people to
>>          survive emotionally in such a setting even with powerful
>>          protections built into the system. Entropy seems to lie
>>          in the direction of the emotionally hardened,
>>          suspicious, and uncaring."
>>              -- E.T.Barker
>
>I meant "a permanent contact with corporations".

He did provide a rather elegant quote, I thought, for the theory that
empathic humans are at the mercy of hardened, suspicious, and uncaring
people, and I think most corporate executives and officers would
qualify, unfortunately.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 05:35:01 GMT

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "chrisv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> How anyone can be so stupid as to "root" for Microsoft, is waayyy...
> >> beyond me.  These people are evil.  Don't you know that?  They didn't
> >> get to where they are by playing fair.  Do you really think that
> >> playing fair gets you to where they are in that amount of time?  Do
> >> you really think that Microsoft's products are that much better than
> >> anyone else's?
>
> > In the Windows arena, yes, they often are better than other Windows
> > programs.
>
> > Office got to be king because it's competitors sat on their laurels and
> > didn't improve their products, or didn't do so in a timely manner.
>
> What you meant to say, im quite certian, was this:
>
> "it's competitors sat on their laurels and didnt release a new version
> every 3 months whether there were improvements or not, and create a
> little clickety button for *everything* and instead kept things in
> menus where windows users (but not mac or unix) couldnt find
> them".

A clickety button? :-)  For "everything"?  Heh.

I disagree with the position that Windows users couldn't find them.  Have you
considered that maybe "clickety buttons" WERE and improvement for Windows
users AKA the customer?  I'm just in awe...

--
Mike Byrns
Microsoft Windows Software Engineer

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:44:40 -0400

Said James A. Robertson in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >As if the profit on Microsoft Windows is any of your business whatsoever
>> >Max.
>>
>> Of course it is.  The legal conduct of every company in the country is
>> everyone's business.
>
>Can you read?  He said the profits are none of our business

Can you read?  I said he was wrong.

   [...]
>No one can predict what the Appeals Court will do.  Once you go to court
>in this country, all bets are off.  Nothing would surprise me.

Only because your entire understanding of jurisprudence is based on
'popular wisdom', and the only capability which such an
over-simplification has of representing court decisions is as an endless
series of 'special cases' resulting in convoluted rules.  This is a
false representation; in fact, the laws, both court and statutes, are
quite clear.  Any anti-competitive act is a felony; if it isn't
'restraint of trade', it is 'monopolization'.  This is called the 'rule
of reason', and if you'd actually read enough court cases, you'd see (if
you can parse the rather complex and inferential text) that it is a
consisent guiding principle.  The only reason one would be 'surprised'
by an appellate court decision is lack of understanding of the legal
principles involved.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:46:13 -0400

Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
>> >As if the profit on Microsoft Windows is any of your business whatsoever
>> >Max.
>>
>> Of course it is.  The legal conduct of every company in the country is
>> everyone's business.
>
>We were talking about profit not being your business, your dimness.

And I was pointing out that 'profits' are only not my business so long
as 'profits' don't become a legal issue, your ineptness.

>We won't
>know the legal conduct until the trial is over when appeals have run their
>course.

Unless one is smart enough to understand legal conduct.

>My bet is that the legal conduct of Microsoft will be found to be
>stellar and perfectly "pro-competitive", once it's heard by a panel of wiser
>judges instead of a clueless and collusive lower court judge.

Thus my presumption that you are clueless and, in fact, rather stupid.

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 05:46:54 GMT

chrisv wrote:

> "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >My bet is that the legal conduct of Microsoft will be found to be
> >stellar and perfectly "pro-competitive", once it's heard by a panel of wiser
> >judges instead of a clueless and collusive lower court judge.
>
> Yech.  Scum.  Let me guess, you make a fat living with Microsoft
> products somehow?
>
> Anyways, I've had lawyers tell me that findings of fact like those
> that were made in the Microsoft case are almost never overturned.

You know lawyers of the caliber of David Boies (no longer doing the Microsoft
case)?  Have you heard that the Federal anti-trust lead has stepped down too?
How about Reno?  How long will she last?  Understand that no matter how corrupt
Microsoft was it was their further corruption at the behest of the US government
that will get them out. Microsoft had virtually no cash contributions to the
players in DC a few years ago.  Now they are like #5 (an appropriate position
considering their wealth).  The anti-trust case came about for the reasons that
Jackson's conviction did -- Microsoft refused to play ball with the bureaucrats
and pay their lunch ticket like McNealy, Ellison and Case did.  That's what left
them open.  Now they have adapted and are countering the case on it's real
ground.  Microsoft scared Washington and Washington listened to Microsoft's
competitors.  They worst that could happen is that the scared bureaucrats would
get their palms greased.  So government wins by corrupting Microsoft even more.

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:49:07 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

How do you know that he isn't using Free Agent running under WINE?

Chris

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:56:45 -0400

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"chrisv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> How anyone can be so stupid as to "root" for Microsoft, is waayyy...
>> beyond me.  These people are evil.  Don't you know that?  They didn't
>> get to where they are by playing fair.  Do you really think that
>> playing fair gets you to where they are in that amount of time?  Do
>> you really think that Microsoft's products are that much better than
>> anyone else's?
>
>In the Windows arena, yes, they often are better than other Windows
>programs.

Of course they are; they cheat!

I think its amusing how the whole array of apparent astroturfers have
come out to attempt to refute ChrisV's statements.  Mike Byrnes,
'JS/PL', Erik Funkenbusch, and Simon Cooke ALL responded individually
during daytime hours to one guy pointing out that Microsoft doesn't have
superior products, by any means.

>Office got to be king because it's competitors sat on their laurels and
>didn't improve their products, or didn't do so in a timely manner.

Office got to be 'monopoly' because it was force-bundled with Windows
("accept this deal, or the price of Windows goes *way* up, or maybe
we'll just 'audit' you....") and all the competitors where hampered by
having to build on top of Win32, which was specifically engineered to
prevent competition in the Office market.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:58:22 -0400

Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
   [...]
>>Office got to be king because it's competitors sat on their laurels and
>>didn't improve their products, or didn't do so in a timely manner.
>
>       Some of those products really didn't need any improving. Furthermore,
>       when pressed for any actual detailed reasons why office might be
>       "better" than any arbitrary competitor, Lemmings tend to fall silent.
>
>[deletia]
>
>--
>
>  There is always something new out of Africa.
>               -- Gaius Plinius Secundus
>
>  prairies, n.:
>       Vast plains covered by treeless forests.

I'm afraid the subtlety of your 'closing remarks' (why do you post them
after the sig delimiter?) were lost on the astroturfers.