model doesn't work! (Craig Kelley)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: 9 May 2001 15:10:26 GMT

On Wed, 09 May 2001 14:57:50 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Austin Ziegler in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 8 May 2001
>>On Tue, 8 May 2001, T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>> JD brought up the idea of Cliff's Notes, of course.  Cliff's Notes are
>>> limited to books which are in the public domain, I think.
>>
>>The problem, of course, is that you don't think.
>
>*ZZZZZZZ*
>
>>They are not limited
>>to books in the public domain (or have you never seen CN on _The Sound
>>and the Fury_?) Heck; even _The Great Gatsby_ is still, I believe,
>>under copyright protection.
>
>So do they pay any royalties, or have they ever been challenged in
>court?  Do you have any details?

Of course they don't pay royalties and they have never been challenged in
court. That is because they don't infringe on the copyright of the
books they cover, and any lawyer knows it.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 9 May 2001 15:12:05 GMT

On Wed, 09 May 2001 15:00:16 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 8 May 2001 16:11:11
>>On Tue, 08 May 2001 16:03:39 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   [...]
>>Protcting "expression of ideas" is protecting the right to express
>>the ideas.
>
>No, "free speech" is  protecting the right to express ideas.

Yes. Your "No," however, is meaningless, since what you say after the
"No," doesn't contradict what you are replying to.

>>Protecting "expressions of ideas" is protecting a
>>specific expression of a specific idea.

[stuff snipped for being too boring]

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 9 May 2001 15:13:40 GMT

On Wed, 09 May 2001 15:01:05 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 8 May 2001 16:13:43
>>On Tue, 08 May 2001 16:03:52 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   [...]
>>>  I'm trying to point out
>>>the metaphysical nature of this thing that everyone wants to treat as if
>>>it were a concrete thing.
>>
>>It is a concrete thing, that's why your attempts to show it as
>>being of metaphysical nature are so laughable.
>
>Oh, yea, real concrete.  Kind of like "vapid".  A very concrete thing,
>'vapid'.

Perhaps your medication is wearing off. "Vapid" is not a noun.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Users...Why?
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:16:36 +0000 (UTC)

Mad.Scientist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: This topic is about why you made the switch to Linux.

<snip!>

: What are your reasons?

For me, it was a no-brainer.  Moving directly from Apple ][ kiddie stuff
to SunOS, I became rather fond of it.  Of course, I didn't realize
how nice it was until trying out DOS/Win3.x later and discovering just
how much weaker the UI was by comparison (not to mention how
practically every half-assed piece of functionality needed to be
downloaded as nagware).  So, due to a lack of handy tools and a
general disgust at the upgrade treadmill, I abandoned any thought of
using Windows on my home boxen to this day.

So, when it came time to pick up a laptop for my own use, the choice
was which UNIX flavor to use on it.  Since Solaris x86 was pretty
weak compared to its Solaris version, that was out.  And, since
Linux has about a billion different sites offering support and docs
but *BSD has a Whole Lot Less, Linux was the obvious choice to use.

It's all the magic formula of Apps + Support = Happiness.  So while
Linux continues to suit my needs, I have no reason to switch.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 15:18:05 GMT

On Wed, 09 May 2001 14:58:16 GMT, T. Max Devlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 08 May 2001
>>On Tue, 08 May 2001 16:04:53 GMT, T. Max Devlin
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 06 May 2001 20:35:54

>>>If I knew that, I'd have to be working for Microsoft and have a brain
>>>the size of a planet.  All I know is it sucks.  The real question isn't
>>>how it sucks, but why it sucks.  If I knew that, I'd be working for Id
>>>and driving a Ferrari.
>>
>>So in other words you don't know what you are talking about and have
>>no facts to back up your foolish statement?
>
>No, in other words, YOU don't know what you're talking about, and have
>no facts to back up your foolish statements.  But I would require
>magical powers to convince you of that, obviously, in the face of your
>purposeful ignorance and great fondness for criminal behavior.

I know that Direct-X works great for audio because I can use one
program, say a pop and click filter, in all of my Direct-X aware
programs which are all of them seamless. The plugins automagically
appear as menu items and work flawlessly.

Linux can't even manage to install an icon on the desktop or menu
after installing the typical program ie:how many "where did my program
go and how do I start the thing" questions are in the Linux set up
groups.

You are the one who doesn't have a clue concerning Direct-X...

flatfish

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 15:19:03 GMT

On Wed, 09 May 2001 14:58:17 GMT, T. Max Devlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 08 May 2001 20:32:22
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> So in other words you don't know what you are talking about and have
>>> no facts to back up your foolish statement?
>>
>>That appears to be the size of it.
>
>And here V had the naivete to say you weren't a troll, Pete.  You should
>feel stupid.

Why should Pete feel stupid?
You made a statement that you can't back up because you haven't a clue
concerning Direct-x.

Flatfish

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:49:20 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 09 May 2001 01:42:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>

>>This is no different to how I make money from Linux.
>>
>>IBM actually have to make a physical product (hardware),
>>to make money, they can't sell Linux for any more than
>>the cost of the media.
>>
>>--
>>Kind Regards
>>Terry
>
> What if they released their own distribution like Redhat or SuSE does,
> can they charge whatever they want for it?

Sure, as long as they add value to the package in form of manuals
(SuSE has manuals exceeding 800 pages total), do your own installer,
stuff like that.
Question is always, will this added value be worth the price they´re
asking.

Peter

--
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux a Miserable Consumer OS
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 11:34:40 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> So? the other guy said "birds do not nurse their young". This is false.
> >
> >MAMMALS NURSE THEIR YOUNG WITH BREAST MILK
>
> Yes that is true. However, that doesn't make "Birds do not nurse their young"
> true.

Are you really an idiot, or do you just play one on USENET.

THE ***DEFINITION*** of a mammal is an animal which nurses its you WITH MILK
FROM MAMMARY GLANDS.

I.e. what seperates mammals from ALL other families is PRODUCTION OF MILK.

> I must add that *some* birds don't nurse their young, but they are rare (
> the only example I can think of is the cuckoo).

Thanks for proving what a fool you are.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 11:34:47 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> >> So? the other guy said "birds do not nurse their young". This is false.
> >
> >MAMMALS NURSE THEIR YOUNG WITH BREAST MILK
>
> Yes that is true. However, that doesn't make "Birds do not nurse their young"
> true.

Are you really an idiot, or do you just play one on USENET.

THE ***DEFINITION*** of a mammal is an animal which nurses its you WITH MILK
FROM MAMMARY GLANDS.

I.e. what seperates mammals from ALL other families is PRODUCTION OF MILK.

> I must add that *some* birds don't nurse their young, but they are rare (
> the only example I can think of is the cuckoo).

Thanks for proving what a fool you are.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 11:39:39 -0400

Donn Miller wrote:

> It all boils down to one creature:  the centipede, IMO.  As centipedes
> evolved into other species of insects, they gradually lost their legs.

Pedantic point:  Species A does not "evolve into species B, C, D...",
instead, Species B,C,D... evolve FROM species A

Species A stays Species A.

> Also, I believe that the centipedes also evolved into a branch of animal
> species as well, as well as half insect/half animal species such as
> arachnida (spiders).  This is just my theory, but I'm not an expert by
> any means.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the next centipede I
> kill is my distant cousin.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 11:35:41 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >>What can I say, except that apparently you only use the first meaning of
> >>every word? If you want to use only a specific meaning of nurse,
> >>implying lactation, please use a more specific word, because birds nurse
> >>their young.
> >
> > Idiots.  Note the "s" for every one of you arguing this "nurse" point.
> > It was very f*cking OBVIOUS from the context of the post what was meant
> > by
> > "nurse" when the guy said "mammals nurse their young and birds don't."
>
> Aaron simply claimed that birds do not nurse their young. This is false.
> He probably meany to say they don't suckle their young.

You are an idiot.

> > Sheesh!  You idiots would argue about the color sh*t!
>
> And you would probably claim that all shit is brown, forgetting to take
> birds, for example in to account who's shit is not brown.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Must be getting really desperate
Date: 09 May 2001 09:37:43 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> On Sun, 6 May 2001 21:30:32 -0500, "Mad.Scientist"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Even IBM and Intel are wearing Tux shirts now.  That should tell you that
> >Linux is a good OS.
>
> No. It tells you that IBM and Intel are plotting to make big bucks off
> of the open sourse programmers..

Who sees the black helicopters now?

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ChromeLinuxT/ WebServer
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 03:39:57 +1200

fmc wrote:

> "kosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9da8vm$fu7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Look at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html it is a pretty simple
>> license to read.
>>
>> It makes no such requirement about software. I can write software for
> linux
>> and release it under any license I want. However if I use gpl code to
> write
>> my software then I have to gpl my work or ask the author for some special
>> deal. Using GPL tools has no affect on the license of the stuff you make.
>
> GPL:
>
> "If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
> and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
> themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
> sections when you distribute them as separate works."
>
> Apparently Chromium feels that its product is "not derived from the
> Program" and "reasonably considered independent and separate", even though
> it DEPENDS ON AND CANNOT FUNCTION without the Apache webserver.
>
> GPL:
>
> "But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a
> work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the
> terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
> entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.
> "
>
> The Chromium EULA represents Chromium and Apache to be two distinct
> products with separate licensing, even though the two are distributed
> together as a "whole work based on the Program":
>
> "4. COPYRIGHT. All title and copyrights in and to the SOFTWARE ... are
> owned
> by Chromium or its licensors.  All title and intellectual property rights
> in and to the content which may be accessed through use of the SOFTWARE is
> the property of the respective content owner and may be protected by
> applicable
> copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties.  This EULA
> grants you no rights to use such content."
>
> ''5. PROPRIETARY NOTICES.  The SOFTWARE includes third party software for
> which
> Chromium is required to include the following notices:
> ChromeLinux/WebServer includes software contributed to and developed by
> the Apache Software Foundation and such source code can be found at
> http://www.apache.org/.... "
>
> http://a.tolx.net/b/chrome.webserver/EULA.WebServer
>
> Chromium's interpretation of what the GPL means is interesting, to say the
> least.
>
> fm
Apache is released under a different license, for example, there are
already companies that sell encryption plugin's.  Like X11 license, they
are not compelled, also, the chrome webserver is like a "cling on" to the
apache server.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft's move away from perpetual licensing proves that the closed
source model doesn't work!
Date: 09 May 2001 09:42:15 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> On 08 May 2001 15:10:21 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> >> Knowing how Microsoft thinks, and taking that into account, I suspect
> >> they are testing the waters to see how they can conjure up a way to
> >> "semi-open source" their products, have Open Source programming
> >> community maintain and upgrade the code, and of course have Microsoft
> >> some how, some way make all of the money off the entire operation with
> >> the programmers getting nothing.
> >>
> >> Just a thought......
> >
> >Perhaps they suddenly remembered why DOS was so popular (open
> >development, open hardware); and they kinda want to go back to their
> >cash cow, know it's futile, but think they can FUD their way out of a
> >hairy situation (again).
>
> We have debated long enough for you to know that I am certainly no
> MS fan..  They have something up their sleeve...You watch and see :)

I don't know this time...  If they do have something up their sleeve,
it's pretty damn obscure.  Microsoft always seem to follow the general
trend, only now they cannot do any such thing without getting egg on
their face (and that's all it would be -- even Apple is using open
source in key parts of their new OS); so instead they keep on digging
their hole deeper and deeper.

It doesn't make any sense; but if they do happen to have an overall
plan for their recent tactics I'll be surprised.