Linux-Advocacy Digest #362, Volume #33            Wed, 4 Apr 01 19:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Windows "speed" (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Windows "speed" (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Windows "speed" (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: Communism ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Something like Install Shield for Linux? ("Gary Hallock")
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised (Chad Everett)
  Chinese airforce adopted Win2k infrastructure ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised ("Gary Hallock")
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Baseball (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Baseball (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Baseball (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised (Trevor Zion Bauknight)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:24:09 GMT

Said Roberto Alsina in alt.destroy.microsoft on 4 Apr 2001 19:01:32 GMT;
   [...]
>>> A pity. If you had not been so thoroughly brainwashed, you could
>>> have been a person.
>>
>>You have failed to name even one person whom I have wrongfully killed.
>
>You are willing to kill, and you believe that's good. That's enough to
>make you a brainwashed waste.

I disagree. Not all military personnel are brainwashed wastes, just
because Aaron is.  I believe, as well, that it is "good" to be willing
to kill when necessary.  I believe, however, unlike Aaron, that it is
"bad" to be sure you know when it is or is not necessary.

   [...]
>>There's a word for military personell who refuse to obey Congress's
>>decision to go to war: DESERTER.

Actually, if you desert in time of war, you're a traitor, aren't you?
The only time desertion is punishable by death, at least.

>Well, my point is that noone should be military personell in the
>first place, because it's a bad thing to do.

That's either very idealistic or very naive, and its debatable if there
is, in fact, a difference.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows "speed"
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:24:10 GMT

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:35:22
   [...]
>I complain about *no one* posting it.
>Mainly because the level of discussion in those groups (at least the ones I
>follow) has deteriorated. Maybe I could do something about it.

Well, digressing into pissing matches about shame-pitching ain't the way
to do it, Ayende.  ;-)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:24:11 GMT

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 4 Apr 2001 03:50:28
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>> >You *see* what I'm talking about?
>>
>> Look, dude, we only have so much time.  You're blaming *us* because we
>> can't keep up with the outrageous amount of evidence condemning both
>> Microsoft and their sock puppet supporters?  We provide sufficient
>> evidence; the Specweb troll (a real favorite for Chad, though Erik
>> didn't shy away from it, IIRC) was beaten to a pulp, even without these
>> particular results.
>
>If you visited the SpecWeb site's, you could hardly avoid those results.

Why would I waste time visiting the SpecWeb site?  Its not like a case
needs to be built damning NT; that's already been done, to my
satisfaction, and won't ever be done to the satisfaction of those not
already convinced, it seems rational and reasonable to presume, based on
observation.

>And if you don't have time, what the *hell* are you doing on an advocary group.

I said we don't have *more* time.  And I frankly don't give a shit what
your opinion is about how we spend it.

>If you are going to have a hobby, at least invest some time in it.

Who's hobby?  Your's or mine?  My hobby is discussion about Microsoft
and 'things', not research about Microsoft and NT.

Now stop with the attempts at shame-casting and give us some worthwhile
discussion, please.  :-)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:24:12 GMT

Said 667 Neighbor of the Beast in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 03 Apr
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:39:44
>> >"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:Ulry6.518$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >I've have the excuse of english being a second language (well, forth
>> >language, actually).

>> >you

>> >Take the SpecWeb99 we had a while ago (not you an me, the whole *.advocary
>> >groups)
>> >There has been a lot of points about 3% difference on identical machines,
>> >remember?
>> >And all this time, *no one* brought this numbers:
>> >
>> >http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/res2001q1/web99-20010122-00096.asc
>> >http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/res2001q1/web99-20010117-00093.asc
>> >(IIS5, dual CPU, 1117 & 1159)
>> >
>> >http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/res2001q1/web99-20010122-00095.asc
>> >(Tux 2.0, once CPU, 1438)
>> >
>> >You *see* what I'm talking about?
>>
>> Look, dude, we only have so much time.  You're blaming *us* because we
>> can't keep up with the outrageous amount of evidence condemning both
>> Microsoft and their sock puppet supporters?  We provide sufficient
>> evidence; the Specweb troll (a real favorite for Chad, though Erik
>> didn't shy away from it, IIRC) was beaten to a pulp, even without these
>> particular results.
>>
>So take it apart, Max.  I missed out on it.

As far as I can see, its just another instance of NT getting its ass
kicked.  Nothing particularly unusual about it.  It seems similar to the
TCP results, where Chad was crowing about W2K having the top slots on
the charts, when it was only by pitting clusters (large clusters)
against individual Linux, Sun, or BSD boxes that it managed to even make
it onto the charts.

I think we all toy with the idea of building a monstrous compendium of
all the damning evidence against Windows' acceptability and Microsoft's
anti-competitive behavior.  But it seems wasted effort, in the end, and
less entertaining than other wasted efforts like posting on Usenet.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:23:20 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> The "new liberalism" relies upon the ancient sin of theft.
>
> : Yes!  Hillary Clinton is an excellent example of a thief.  When the
> : liberals left the WhiteHouse and quarters they were like low-class
> : scum... took everything including the light bulbs and the kitchen
> : sink!   Bush Jr. had to go in there with rubber gloves and Clorox to
> : start the cleansing process. :-))
>
> As much as I detest most of what is called "liberalism" today, the
> Klintons are not liberals; they are basically lowlife Mafia-like
> scumbags who used the misguided support of naive liberals in order to
> achieve their own unlawful aims, and continue to do so to this day.

Which is different from other high level liberals how, exactly?

> Informed liberals despise them as much for this as does any
> conservative.

Informed liberals despise the Klintons because they (the Klintons)
were stupid enough to get CAUGHT....***REPEATEDLY***

> Joe

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:23:53 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 04 Apr 2001
> >Roger Perkins wrote:
> >>
> >> Rogerto, most people don't even know what the International is, much less
> >  ^^^^^^^
> >
> >You're losing it, Roger...REALLY REALLY fucking losing it.
>
> If you have to shout, Aaron, it must be because you're lying.

Does the word "emphasis" mean anything to you, Max?

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:29:09 +1200

Hello? How come their (Republicans) whole campaign centred around ensuring
Microsoft got off with a slap on the wrist? Also, what about the incredibly
generous bribe, sorry, "Donation" to ensure that "the DOJ doesn't ruin the
tech sector", aka, split Microsoft up.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Something like Install Shield for Linux?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:26:03 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mlw"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, I know about "configure" and "make," but for binary distribution,
> is there an open source installer? One, gasp, which is pretty and
> programmable, will switch to root to perform the install? If so I
> haven't seen it.
>
> While I think Install Shield is a miserable hack, and anyone that has
> used it will fundamentally agree, it gets the job done.
>
> So, if one were to write such a program, should it be able to handle
> RetHat and Debian packages? Or would it be OK to simply use its own
> format? Self extracting is a must.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

InstallShield is available for Linux

http://www.installshield.com/ipmp/specs/default.asp

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:32:19 +1200

Yes indeed, I could imagine the excuse Chad Myers would rectum pluck, "all
this is rubbish, I don't agree with it", and Microsoft rebutle, "Well, if
you have read the license agreement, and donot agree with its conditions,
then simply return the piece of software for a refund", case open, case
close.  Sorry Myers, your spin is not working.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 17:23:58 -0500

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:29:09 +1200, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello? How come their (Republicans) whole campaign centred around ensuring
>Microsoft got off with a slap on the wrist? Also, what about the incredibly
>generous bribe, sorry, "Donation" to ensure that "the DOJ doesn't ruin the
>tech sector", aka, split Microsoft up.
>
>Matthew Gardiner

You're confused.  Microsoft bribes both sides equally.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Chinese airforce adopted Win2k infrastructure
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:32:29 -0400

How else do you explain a quick, nimble fighter jet colliding with
a slow, lumbering patrol plane in clear weather.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:39:59 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom>
wrote:

> Good. Now when and if MS ever decides to sell Hotmail they won't have a
> bunch of Linvocates trying to sue them for their cut of the deal, since
> their free mailbox is part of the product getting sold.

If I use my credit card to pay for something and the info goes through an
MS server, then Gates is free to fly to the Bahamas and charge it all to
my credit card.   Sounds reasonable to me.  I think I'll just get it over
with and have my paycheck automatically deposited in Gates account.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:16:07 +0200

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Microsoft is doing the old shuffle and lie...but signs are they are
> starting to sweat:
>
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5508903.html?tag=mn_hd

You didn't have you qoute so much.

Didn't I tell you so? And it took much less action than it took Yahoo! to
change their TOS.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:44:56 +1200

Hmm, so AT&T and the Oil Corp Rockafella owned were inovators too by the way
you recall history.

In what way has Microsoft benefited the consumer?  Hypothetically speaking,
if Microsoft never existed, about the only thing that probably never would
have existed, that was a semi-useful product, AmigaBASIC. PC's would never
would have had the great impact in home computing as it has now.  All that
would have happened would have been that Amiga and Amstrad (both are so
similar, its not funny) would have taken their place.  In 1984-1985, the
AmigaWorkbench was more stable than what Microsoft was producing, coloured
graphics, sound and lots of other features.  Companies such as Wordperfect
had actually created software for the Amiga, hence, it would have been
totally viable for the Amiga to enter both the home and business market. So
this bullshit that it being spread that we should kiss Microsofts ass is
based on nothing less than naivity at best.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:44:41 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 4 Apr 2001
14:37:58 +1200;
>That sounds pretty stupid.  For the record, I am not from the UK, I'm from
>New Zealand.

Gotcha again!  ;-)

>Also, that was the typical septic tank reply I was expecting.  For a country
>that raises their youth to only know what happens in Septic Tank Land, I am
>surprised you don't have more problems than you do now.  A president that
>wants to screw the earth.

That was the last president.  Now we have one that wants to be the pope.

>A ex-president who couldn't keep his dick in his
>underwear, high school shootings left, right and centre, KKK - created in a
>country that promots "racial tolerance", Jahova Witnesses and Mormons - only
>country that accepts weird, screwed up cults, I swear, I have never met a
>New Zealander or an Aussie who is a Johava witness, and if I do meet one in
>New Zealand, they are a septic tanks, still using imperial measurements,
>which is quite surprising that you (Septic's), tried to rid yourself of all
>things associated with the UK, except you missed that minor detail, a
>country whose population throws out 25% of the worlds pollution, cars that
>are so big and chew through petrol so fast, I swear a hot curry would stay
>in me longer.....need I go on further?

I don't know.  Was the point simply to show you are a bigot and hate
Americans, or was there something more you were trying to say?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:47:50 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 4 Apr 2001
>Don't you mean, the "Full Monty"? Monty Python is total different to the
>"full monty"
>
>Matthew Gardiner

Matthew, no offense, really, but have you been in hospital lately?  I
think they may have amputated your sense of humor without you realizing
it.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:49:00 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 4 Apr 2001
>Rugby is more than a sport, its a religion, LOL!
>
>New Zealanders love their sport.  In fact, if you look at what happens when
>the all blacks win, the economy picks up, however, when they loose the
>economy slows down, so maybe the US need a decent rugby, soccer and cricket
>team to help fix up the sagging economy.

Go ahead.  I want to see a team in the US called "the all blacks".  :-D

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:50:28 -0400

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>
> > You have no clue what my family situation is like.
> > Do the words "extended family" mean anything to you?
> >
> > There are others in my family who currently need my assistance.
>
> I pity them.  I truly do.

That's why they need my assistance at this time.

> > How many specialists provide top-off-the-line computer consulting
> > services for several Fortune 500 companies?
>
> Self-aggrandizing again, we see.  Gee, once one of several thousand
> employees at GM.  LOL!!!  Kulkis, as a proven "war-hero" lying wannabe, no
> believes anything you say.  You've cursed yourself with no credibility.

No..I've never been a GM employee.

There's this little thing called a pay-scale structure.

You know...the manager always earns more than his subordinates.

Well, this leads to a problem...namely, that most most high-end
computer professionals command a higher salary than the manager
for whom they work.

So...the solution is to farm it out in the form of consulting.
That way, the IT personnnel get the pay they deserve, without
having to jack up the pay of the pointy-haired-boss who is
overseeing the project, but lacks the technical ability to
truly do so.

In short: GM chooses not to pay their managers enough money
to hire me on as an employee.

Deny it all you like Bill, but that's how the world works.

Of course, a moron like you probably has no experience, let alone
understanding of how this works, so, your denials will mean nothing.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Trevor Zion Bauknight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:41:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett) wrote:

> Microsoft wants to use .NET and the passport transport system to let
> end-users store and communicate banking information, credit card, information,
> private correspondence, and on and on.  ANd all you data "will live
> securely on the Internet" (a direct MS quote).  Combine that with this:

Has anyone considered the implications of the Passport legal arrangement
on Microsoft itself as it may exist at some future time *in the
(increasingly unlikely) event that it actually IS broken up?*  Since
both companies would be developing services centered around Passport,
all the IP of one Baby-Microsoft would, of course, be licensed to the
"other" Baby-Microsoft along with

"...the right to exploit any proprietary
rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under
copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant
jurisdiction. No compensation will be paid with respect to Microsoft's
use of the materials contained within such communication."

Heh.  Dastards.

Trev

--
"I think Trevor is an idot.  Just the kind of robot President CLITton likes.
Supid people!" - Husker Kev