From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:21:00 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> >> Yes.  It changes your claim that it's a "fact" than UNIX clocks are
> >> 10 times more accurate than that.

> >> Irrelevant, given that the issue I was addressing was the one of
> >> the alleged "10 times more accurate".
>
> > What benifit is derived by gaining uptime precision to fractions
> > of a second, at the cost of the upper limit being 49 days rather
> > than 497 days?
>
> Irrelevant, given that the issue I was addressing was the one of
> the alleged "10 times more accurate".

10 years since I first saw you posting...and you're still
a fucking idiot.

Why is that?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:22:24 -0500

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8v8jct$llk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > However, 'Availability' is what *users* are concerned with, and with
> Windows
> > 2000 Advanced Server, you can easily set up clustering (built into Windows
> > 2000).
> >
> > Clustering provides high availability even if the software or *hardware*
> > fails on one of the machines.
>
> Unless, of course, it is the clustering software that fails, or one of the
> machines decides to erase the shared drives.   I don't quite understand
> the concept of expecting only part of your software to fail.

It's a Microsoft thing...

>     Les Mikesell
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:28:21 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Les Mikesell
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:21:07 GMT
> <nvoS5.22794$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >"Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >unwieldy
> >and
> >the
> >other
> >the

> >> I'll go with "maybe not" for $1000, Alex...
> >
> >Yes, note that windows 2000 can arbitrarily decide to use some other port
> >for file sharing, bypassing any idea of security you thought you had gained
> >by blocking 137 and 139.   Fun stuff...
>
> Uh...dumb question, but is this done during a negotiation session
> somehow?
>
> B: "I want to connect to you, A." A: "OK"
> C: "I want to connect to you, A." A: "OK"
> D: "I want to connect to you, A." A: "OK"
>
> A: "OK, B, I want to use port 2137 instead of 137."  B: "OK"
> A: "OK, C, I want to use port 3137 instead of 137."  C: "OK"
> A: "OK, D, I want to use port 4137 instead of 137."  D: "OK"
>
> or, more likely:
>
> B: "OK, A, I want to use port 2137 instead of 137."
> A: "OK, B."
> A: "OK, C, I want you to use port 2137 instead of 137."  C: "OK"
> A: "OK, D, I want you to use port 2137 instead of 137."  D: "OK"
>
> or even:
>
> B: "OK, A, I want to use port 2137 instead of 137."
> A: "OK, B."
>
> And then there's the issue of what happens when one of B, C, or D
> says goodbye -- or A says goodbye!  Do they have to remember what
> ports to use when connecting to which server or peer?
>
> I for one can't see any point in this -- but there must be a reason.
> I suspect to get through firewalls....
> or are they worried about SAMBA stealing their thunder again?

yes.

> Also, is this controllable anywhere, say from the control panel?
> (Or whatever Win2k decides to call it?)
>

> >          Les Mikesell
> >              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- does Linux emulate NT's SMB better than NT?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Linux for nitwits
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:31:12 +0000

>You must be a real idiot then because at least where I live the cable
>company comes and sets the entire thing up. Unfortunately they haven't
>reached my street yet and if you happen to mention Linux, they will
>not come at all.

Steve/Claire/Heather/Keys/Cat, I think you're the only person I've
come across who has access to a company which will set up serial and
parallel links between two computers for you.

I wonder why they do the for pairs of Windows machines and not pairs
of Linux machines - can you say why that might be?

Do Microsoft fund them as a kind of serial link public service?

Mark

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:38:33 GMT

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:...

> Email is an application, not a shell.  It's meaning of open is unlike the
> meaning of open in any other application.   If you tell notepad or
> word to open a *vbs file, will it launch an interpreter?

Oops - I think I spoke too soon.  It is possible to get word to run
arbitrary stuff too:

http://www.guninski.com/officedll.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Linux trips over itself once again
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:39:09 +0000

In article <974843026.306001@marvin>, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:
>

><snip>
>> Good idea.  I'll have a go with kde or gnome, but I don't know if the
>> machines will be up to it.  Views anyone?
>>
>> Mark
>
>Please don't. Your machine will swap till you can boil an egg on your HD.
>For KDE, 32 megs is a total absolute complete minimum. I added up some
>second-hand memory chips in my old p133 till 48 megs, well it ran KDE
> without swapping that is, KDE1, not the new version 2.
>The questions is: do you want to make costs just to experiment with KDE?

Maybe I won't try this then.

>btw do you know a good howto or manual on Windowmaker?

try http://www.windowmaker.org for general info, also a manual is at
ftp://ftp.windowmaker.org/pub/wmaker/docs

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.sux,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 and KDE2 - Congrats !
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:46:53 +0000

<cut>
>You must be a fucking idiot.

<cut>
>Try again asshole....
>
>claire

Claire/Steve/Heather/Cat/Keys offers help and advice for
windows at a helpline near you...

I do so like to see quality help and advice being handed out
in the advocacy groups.

Mark

------------------------------

From: Dan Hinojosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:08:47 -0700

That worked thanks. Buy why not menued copy-paste?

------------------------------

From: Dan Hinojosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:10:09 -0700

It was between Text Editor and xemacs....

------------------------------

From: Dan Hinojosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I am finding installing a multi-function card needless reading.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:21:27 -0700

Why are things so hard?  I just want to install my Xircom Multi-function
card.  I have myself reading http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ when I
should be able to click on a driver and let it run, or run a console
driven program.  There are so many caveats with each individual "distro"
that I can only hope for some kind consistency.  I am far from idiocy, I
am proficient in java and C++ but reading what I have to do to install
this thing is making me nauseus.  Am I using the wrong distro, is there
a de-facto distro that I may use.  I do not want to spend a lot of time
making my modem/network card to work, I'd rather be writing code.  I
really want to make this thing work, so if you have any ideas to make my
life deservingly easy with this OS I would much appreciate it.

------------------------------

From: matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:28:06 -0800

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote...
> > > Sad... I NEVER have to restart my Linux box, not even X or Xfce.
>
> You telnet in if necessary, right?
>
> What does a user who has no other machine to do a telnet and shutdown the
> X-Server do? That would be my situation. I'd have no choice but to
> reboot. :=)
>
> This has happened to me a few times when fiddling with Linux.

No, if X starts by default, then the X server would be killed and a new one
would be started with a login screen  This seems to be a very good solution if
you ask me.

Matt Newell

------------------------------

From: Frog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Nov 2000 09:30:27 -0000

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:59:36 GMT , Mike Byrns
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote
>Anonymous wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:29:52 GMT , [EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote
>>
>> >I've never had setup.exe fail yet.
>>
>> Please be kind enough to tell us what planet you live on. But just to
>> illustrate how infallible setup.exe is:
>>
>> 1. Had to install Win98 SE twice on a Dell Dimension machine. The first
>> one hung just after the reboot. No indication why, but it worked the
>> second time. If it'd been an upgrade, I'd've lost all the data.
>>
>> 2. MS Office 2000 Setup failed when installing custom components. One of
>> the packages isn't part of our supported suite of software, so all its
>> components were deselected. The installer hung about a third of a way
>> through. (NT 4.0 SP6)
>>
>> 3. The Office 2000 Service Pack installer reported errors replacing DLLs
>> and therefore reported an unsuccessful setup. Manually checking
>> components
>> indicated that everything looked like it was correctly installed. To be
>> on
>> the safe side, we had to uninstall and reinstall Office from scratch.
>>
>> I have others, but those come to mind first.
>>
>> >Because unlike Linux, I am installing one program. I don't have to
>> >worry about 15 other programs necessary to make this one program
>> >function.
>>
>> Sure, you just accept axiomatically that M$ is installing what you need.
>> Ignorance is bliss, I guess. Baa baa baa!
>>
>> >Wine is irrelevant anyway. It will always be behind Windows in
>> >applications support, much like Linux tends to be behind Windows in
>> >hardware support, except for rigormortis hardware, which Linux excels
>> >at.
>>
>> I notice that the M$ HCL still includes a lot of "rigormortis" hardware.
>> Perhaps you should bring that to your puppet masters' attention so they
>> can force the sheeple to go buy more advanced computer products
>> (including, maybe some day, the M$ video card! Guaranteed to work with
>> Windows 2005!).
>>
>> Maybe the philosophy of Linux is that the OS isn't so bloated and
>> unwieldy
>> that you need to rush out and buy a better CPU, video card, sound card
>> and
>> hard disk just to squeeze out something that resembles acceptable
>> performance from your machine. Maybe the thought of being able to add
>> the
>> components you want -- instead of being saddled with everything some
>> other
>> clown thinks should be part of the OS -- is the attraction. Maybe it's
>> the
>> fact that you can actually do something that resembles security, instead
>> of leaking your information to every skriptkiddie who knows how to query
>> TCP port 139 or UDP port 137.
>>
>> Or maybe not.
>
>I'll go with "maybe not" for $1000, Alex...

Thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

Maybe not for which? Bloated and unwieldy? Choosable components?
Reasonable security? Do enlighten us.

As far as saying, "well, if I don't run the services, it doesn't listen,"
lay off the sophistry. Sure, if you have a Win98 machine with no TCP stack
and no external network connection, then it won't respond on any TCP
ports, either. But if that's the case, why would you give a crap about
having Internet Exploder on it? Oh, that's right, you might need it to
read the M$ documentation off the CD-ROM. [1] How silly of me to ask.

[1] Visual InterDev, among others, wants this IIRC.

Vous avez un site perso ?
2 millions de francs à gagner sur i(france) !
Webmasters : ZE CONCOURS ! http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/concours.emailif

------------------------------

Subject: Re: LINUX  USED BY THE NEW ZEALAND ARMY FOR ARMED FORCES SIMULATION:
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:32:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> And where are [the NZ army] today?

> Protecting the sheep in the fields?

> Give me a break....

Glad to see that it's not only in the field of operating systems that
you are offensive and narrow-minded.  Anything else you want to share?

-kzm

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:42:59 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, David Brown
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:35:50 +0100
> <8up1nu$2dr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >>
> >>NT has, and always will have support for multiple platforms. Just because
> >>MS doesn't ship them, doesn't mean it's not there. You are smart enough
> >>to realize this, aren't you?
> >
> >Since MS has a total monopoly on NT (obviously), what exactly is the
> >difference between "MS doesn't ship them" and "it's not there" ?  There are
> >older systems out there running NT on non-x86 platforms, but for all
> >practical purposes (such as setting up a new system), NT is x86-only.
> >

> >>NT has always had >2GB file support on every platform it's yet been
> >>ported to:
> >>
> >>IA32
> >>MIPS
> >>PPC
> >>ALPHA
> >>SPARC
> >
> >I did not know that MS ever got NT running on a SPARC.
>
> They got a good chunk of Windows running on Sparc/Solaris
> when they ported IE.  I'm not sure if that counts, and it's
> far from clear that anyone even bought the product.  :-)
>
> [rest snipped]

I'm afraid that MS OSs' portability is a void issue. If you
change platform you have alternatives.
Who would use any Windows flavor when a commercial
alternative does exist?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:52:55 -0500

Dan Hinojosa wrote:

> That worked thanks. Buy why not menued copy-paste?

1) because it only takes 5 seconds to learn
2) putting it in a menu would add extra processing overhead every
        time you copy & paste

> Brian Langenberger wrote:
> >
> > Dan Hinojosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > <copy & paste woes snipped>
> >
> > : Thanks you crazy bunch of penguins.
> >
> > Try highlighting with the left mouse button and pasting with
> > the middle mouse button.  No extra keystrokes necessary.
> > It should work practically everywhere in X.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:57:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[snipped because it's becoming quite boring]

> How does that make one "10 times more accurate"?

If it gives accurate result for 479 days instead of 47.9
then its accuracy holds over a ten times longer period of
time, or briefly it's 10 times more accurate.
You may clutch at straws however you want, but after 47.9
days you will not be able to get an accurate result, neither
relative nor absolute.
Which may be immaterial, because the system would have
already crashed anyhow.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:01:56 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Giuliano Colla wrote:

> > > You are, of course, making the assumption that MS did this deliberately.
> > > For all we know it could have been any kind of cockup... the same kind of
> > > cockup that produced 95 in the first place?
> >
> > I have the bad habit of crediting MS people of some thinking
> > capabilities. Usually further evidence proves me wrong.
> > However I can't help trying to work out the rationale of how a thing is
> > done, because, except for MS case (which luckily for me is just an
> > annoying side issue), it helps a lot to figure out how it works, and
> > either exploit it at best, or fix it.
>
> The best way to fix an MS problem is to install Linux.

That's exactly the device which makes for me MS crappiness
just an annoying side issue. When all my customers will have
switched to Linux, I'll stop bothering about MS at all.