From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:17:47 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joe R.
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hillary Clinton goes into a restaurant for the first time on her own and
> > doesn't tip a waitress.
>
>    Cry me a river. If welfare recipients are not owed a living, then
> neither are waitresses.

Waitresses are working

Welfare scum are parasitic leaches.

The whole point of the incident was that, for all of her PROFESSED
concerned
for "the working poor", Hillery outed herself as a typical hypocrite.

> > Travel office employees fired lock, stock, and barrel for having
> > different political views.
>
>    Cry me a river. This is a blatantly anti-employer statement, since
> it suggests that employers' freedom of action ought to be drastically
> limited. In fact, I'm surprised that employers are not summarily
> purging their employees for being so anti-employer. And maintaining a
> blacklist of disrespectful would-be employees.

You have a right to fire employees.

You do NOT have a right to have them brought up on trumped-up charges.

> > Sexual abuse of interns.
>
>    Cry me a river.

Truth hurts, doesn't it.

> > Using the IRS as an attack dog against those you don't agree with.
>
>    Cry me a river. All this whining about the IRS is the immaturity of
> those who discover that they have all these bills that they have to pay
> when they move out of their parents' house.

Demonstrates that government officials are NOT to be trusted.

> If you are young and not against taxes, you have no heart.
> If you are old and unwilling to accept taxes, you have no brain.
>
> --
> Loren Petrich
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> And a fast train

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 15:19:44 +0200
From: Bartek Kostrzewa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux RedHat 7.0 or Win2000?

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

> Today I tried to upgrade Linux RH 6.0 to Linux RH 7.0.
> Already from the beginning I couldn't use GUI mode (the screen was
> full with overwritten picture), so I switched to text mode.
> Upgrade was very smoot, except that when it start in KDE, GUI is
> unreadable again. Just a big mess on the screen.
> Someone have an idea how to start Linux without X-Win?
>
> Zalek

At bootup type linux 3 when LILO gives you the prompt, or linux single,
then switch to mode 3

--
Best regards,
Bartek Kostrzewa - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:18:04 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > 50% tax burden is suppression.
>
>    Cry me a river.
>
>    And that was from someone who had lived off of taxpayers' money for
> awhile.

When?

> --
> Loren Petrich
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> And a fast train

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:18:54 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Excessive taxes on those who work, to pay for
> > Government coddling for those who don't.
>
>    Cry me a river. A big fat Marxist river.

That certainly IS what you're looking for.

Of course...all the rivers in countries where Marxism was adopted are
polluted beyond belief.

> --
> Loren Petrich
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Happiness is a fast Macintosh
> And a fast train

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: What kind of WinTroll Idiot are you anyway?
Date: 2 Oct 2000 13:20:32 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8r9bkm$1e11$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:8r8t5t$1e70$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> neither

>> > oddly.
>>
>> > Then no, I don't believe you.
>>
>> > What was the exact BSOD message?
>>
>> I can recreate the situation about 90% of the time.  I'll take a picture of
>> it with my new digital camera.

> If, in fact, it happens that often, it's 100% a hardware issue or a driver
> issue, not a Win2K issue. If it's something like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, it's definately a hardware issue.

This may indeed be true, but then that would insinuate that the hardware is
only broken inside W2K, and NOT inside windows ME. (not to mention other operating
systems).

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 2 Oct 2000 13:23:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone with any experience knows that you either have a hardware\driver
> problem, or you're lying. Why perpetrate such BS? Does this help your
> precious Linux? It only serves to denigrate the weight of any assertion you
> make, relegating you to irrelevant. Get a clue.

1. I'm not lying.
2. I gave my specs in detail, and the problem in moderate detail.
3. Its not my "precious" linux.  If youd been paying attention, you would have
   seen that I dont particularly like linux any more than I like windows.  My
   tastes go beyond both.
5. The NVIDIA driver *may* be a problem, I never said this was impossible.  I just
   find it interesting that the W2K version of their driver would therefore be less
   stable than their windows ME version.  And beyond that, (for a little added detail)
   it is only *one* winamp 3d visualization which causes this problem.  The rest work
   almost unbelievably well.
6. Shut the fuck up, you stupid asshole.

=====.

--
"It's natural to expect there might be people doing stupid things
with computers"

---Michael Vatis, director of the FBI's national infrastructure
protection center commenting on Y2K concerns about hacker attacks

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows+Linux+MacOS = BeOS
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:33:36 -0300

El sáb, 30 sep 2000, . escribió:
>Ingemar Lundin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
>> news:8r32b1$12ai$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I dont like linux
>>> much either; I tend to enjoy more robust systems.
>>>

>> Such as?
>
>For unix and unix-like systems, solaris, AIX and freebsd/openbsd...

I've crashed Solaris x86 10x more than I've crashed Linux, and using it 1% as
much. Solaris Sparc, on the other hand, is a reliable beast. Slow as hell in a
Ultra5, but in a ultra10 and higher, it's usable. Once you get rid of most of
the Solaris userland, of course. Come on, a vi with 2048 line width limit? In
year 2000?

>For multimedia, beos, for game console, windows.

Nah, for game console, Sony.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 09:28:29 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Loren Petrich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > NO...it is NOT.
> > > If the child's own parents have no interest in feeding their own
> > > offspring...why should I?
> > > You see...YOUR method means STEALING MY RESOURCES so that they will
> > > be used for the benefit of the progeny of some lowlife scum sucking
> > > welfare whore and her equally contemptable alcoholic "boyfriends"
> >
> >    Given this sort of hateful venom toward welfare recipients, I'm
> > surprised that there have not been lots of firebombings of places where
> > they live.
> >
> >    Even if a lot of them *are* losers, I don't see how they are worth
> > that kind of venom.
>
> True. Get angry at the Democrats who keep encouraging their lifestyle
> and their ever-increasing dependancy on the Government (e.g. our money)
>
> -Chad

Wrong.  Punish the politicians for encouraging it

but ALSO Chastise those who partake in it.

I.e. bring about social pressures and punishment to  ALL involved,
INCLUDING those government swine case-workers (who seek to keep as
many people *on* welfare as possible--Dr. Erik Berne documented as
early as the late 1940's that government welfare case workers generally
seek to keep welfare subjects from finding employment...as demonstrating
by the disciplinary action taken against one who insisted that a
welfare parasite go out and find a job..ANY job...just as long as he
got his fucking ass back to work.  Why?  The excuse was that if the guy
got back to work, then the welfare people wouldn't be able to 'help'
him.
Actually, whenever a welfare slug goes back to work him/her + all
dependants no longer show up on the case-load statistics, which
jeapordizes government-welfare-buraucracy's employees and budget.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "kosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 07:23:01 -0600

In article <8r9kjj$ha0up$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jim McNeill"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chad, with you there 100% mate.  I've had a dual boot at home for a
> couple of years now, with the second partition given over to Linux.
> Every now and again I spend a couple of weeks putting on a recent distro
> and making a serious attempt to use it - because I like this open source
> and GPL idea, and I'd love to get it going.
>
> And every time I retire hurt.  The first thing that always gets me is
> the user-unfriendly window managers.  The second is the utter pain of
> trying to install anything - even with RPM you get dependency problems
> kicked up, and the error messages never tell you which further RPM you
> need to find.  And the source installs!  I have _never_ got one of those
> to work, they're always looking for a different path from the distro I'm
> using, or some dependent product that again is never clearly identified.

Try mandrake 7.1 it will tell you what the rpm you are missing are. If you
just try to  run a program you don't have installed it will asks for the
CDs to install it. You can also type urpmi package name. If you got the
wrong package name it will give you a list of choices that will be the
right one it will also resolve all dependencies for you. 7.2 which should
be out in a week or so has some even more advanced features. It will also
ship with kde2 which is a very nice wm.

> Then there's the much vaunted "support".  There's certainly plenty of
> documentation about, I won't argue with that.  The only problem is it's
> normally plain wrong, or applies to a different distribution, or is so
> badly written as to be unusable.  And if you try the newsgroups - god is
> that a depressing experience!  The responses are 1) RTFM.  When you
> point out that in fact you have read the manual and it still ain't
> working, it's onto 2) Read this FAQ/ web page etc.  Try them out, they
> don't work either.  Ask again: 3) it works for me, what are you some
> kind of moron?

I have helped a bunch of newbies and experienced people install mandrake
all of them like it so far. Some of them have been  using it now for more
then a year. It tends to just work and has some very nice gui config
tools.

> Linux is obviously good for something, probably  the free network stuff,
> otherwise all these ISPs wouldn't be using it.  It is no good for the
> desktop and no good for end users, in fact probably no use to anyone who
> isn't going to spend most of their working day getting it to work.  If
> it really has been installed in Mexican schools then I pity those kids
> so much, and I hope that Linux advocates feel suitably ashamed for the
> adverse effect it's going to have on their education.

Actually it really can be easy to use. I find most dists are not geared
towards end users though. RedHat tends to be for developers and isps not
end users. Same with debian. Mandrake and Suse tend to be better for end
users but most of my experience is with Mandrake. One note if you use
Mandrake for a fs use Reiserfs instead of ext2. It is a journalled fs so
it checks in a few secs on reboot if you lose power. It is also faster in
some things than ext2 is.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Win2K
Date: 2 Oct 2000 13:31:34 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "J.Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > Windows 2000 is rock solid stable.
>>
>> Win2K Stable? You have to be joking, man. My CDRW software doesnt work, my
>> viruscanner crashed, and almost all the drivers for my hardware are still
> in
>> beta which sucks, and all these gave me quite a few CRITICICAL STOP ERRORs
>> already...

> Does your CDRW software create a virtual file system to allow you to just
> copy files to the CDRW?  If so, that's the sort of thing that is tied pretty
> closely to the kernel.  Several major interfaces in Win2k changed, which
> broke certain low-level applications.  This change was to make Windows more
> stable.

> Still, I fail to understand your reasoning.  By your own admission, you're
> running beta drivers.  You expect beta drivers to be stable?  That has
> nothing to do with how stable Win2k itself is when using certified drivers.

There are ALOT of unstable drivers for W2K.  From the customer point of view,
it doesnt matter why their machine isnt working; if it doesnt work they get
annoyed.

I used W2K up until about a month ago for my windows needs (word and games)
because it understood more directX than NT did.  Then about a month ago I
switched almost completely to windowsME, which is oddly much, much more stable
(less beta drivers).  By the way, the ridiculous variance in windowsME price
is annoying.  I would certianly have paid for it if they werent trying to sell
the damn thing for 200 bux.

=====.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:44:45 -0300

El dom, 01 oct 2000, . escribió:
>Mike Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> BeOS is unlike any operating system youve ever seen, apparantly...:)
>
>> I've got BeOS installed on my box here.. I've seen it.  There's no OS on the
>> planet that can automatically thread a program, you have to code for it.  Or
>> are you going to claim that the OS is so good that it can examine a program,
>> figure out how to parallelize it, figure out every critical code piece,
>> protect those, etc?
>
>You're an idiot, and you obviously have never done anything with BeOS besides
>look at its pretty interface.  The ins and outs of this issue are far to large
>to get into (and have been addressed suitably as "its got a multithreaded API
>by someone else in this thread).

Hm? That doesn't make much sense. X has a multithreaded API, too, and that
doesn't make the apps multithreaded if you don't do it yourself.

Also, AFAIK, BeOS uses a pthreads API, and if so, you must certainly have to do
some legwork.

>Get the Be Bible, read it, understand it.

Sorry, not interested in developing Be apps, right now. However, I'm sure you
can provide a simple description of what you mean.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

Subject: Re: The real issue
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kolbjørn S. Brønnick)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 13:46:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Wich) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Kolbjørn S. Brønnick" wrote:
>> These are not the important issues. It's obvious to me that Windows
>> has the best desktop environment, the best applications and so-on.
>
>Sure. IMHO, it hasn't :-/

>> The important issues are: do we want to use proprietary office suites
>> with proprietary unpublished file-formats? Do we want to use
>> proprietary development languages and tools? Or, do we want free
>> exchange of information and freedom from the immoral mafia that is
>> Microsoft?
>
>No, it's not. Most ppl actually prefer Linux because of the preformance
>and/or stability benefit.

Well, I think this could be a valid reason in some circumstances. However,
I have used Windows 2000 since it was released, and it still haven't
crashed _once_. IE5.5 also "never" goes down. Windows 2000 also has pretty
good drivers for my GeForce, USB devices, sound card, printers and so on.
W2K has a mature graphical UI and true-type fonts. For hassle-free desktop
use, I don't think Linux can beat W2K as things are now. For me, Linux is
more about politics and ethics.

--
Kolbjørn S. Brønnick