From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Migration --> NT costing please :-)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:02:40 GMT

"Gardiner Family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad, not be rude, have you ever used UNIX in your life?  I consider, in my
humble
> opinion, 30 years of development to be a great legacy to builder apon.

Yes, I've used it. And I agree... it's legacy.

> For example, look at the development process of Windows Datacentre.  A
complete
> re-write for each version.

You mean each version of Win2K was a complete rewrite? As in Win2K Server is a
complete rewrite from Win2K Advanced Server is a rewrite from Win2K Datacenter?

You are completely mistaken. Not to be rude, but have you ever used Windows 2000
in your life?

> UNIX can scale from a Workstation (such as an SGI or
> Sun Ultra Sparc 5) up to a mainframe class system.

So can Windows. Note the the TPC-C results.

> The fact that Windows NT has gained it popularity is not because of technical
> superiority but because any old twit who can use a mouse can setup a Windows
> NT server.

No, it really is because of it's technical superiority. It has almost all
the benefits of Unix, plus it has applications. NT wasn't too great in the
largest of enterprises which is where it couldn't compete with Unix.

Windows 2000, however, can and does, and kicks the pants off of big iron
Unix boxes. Cite: TPC-C

> I currently have SuSE Linux installed on my machine with ReiserFS
> and I experience no problems, completely stable, fast, when I kill a process,
> it actually dies, does hang around like in Windows,

See, this is what I'm talking about. You've obviously never used Windows NT
or 2000 because you would know that it is rock-solid stable as well, and you can
KILL a process and it goes away immediately, just as in Unix. You're confusing
Windows 9x (crap) with Windows NT/2000 (Good(tm)) which means you really don't
know what you're talking about.

This is what frustrates me so much. Many people, such as your self are
old-school
Unix developers or sysadmins. They used Windows 3.1x and realized what a pile
of dung it was and labelled Microsoft forever. They've never used another copy
of Windows except for, perhaps Win95. They assume WinNT and 2K are along the
same lineage and therefore suffer all the same ailments of Win9x and forever
label those products as well, which simply isn't the case.

> rip out a PCI card whilst computer is running, Linux doesn't give a toss,
Windows 2000
> crashes to a black screen of death.

Um... ripping out a PCI card whilst the computer is running will halt or damage
the
motherboard in most cases (unless you're on a server with hot-swap PCI). This is
a complete lie. Any OS would die because the whole computer would freeze or
choke.

Perhaps you mean PCMCIA? Windows 2000 allows for swapping PCMCIA cards all day
long.

In either case, you have no idea what you're talking about. Please refrain from
insulting Windows until you have even the first clue about what you're talking
about.

And... to futher back up this claim, it's a "blue" screen of death, not black.

*PLONK*

> Before you post, run a server with UNIX on it.

I have. Appearently you've never run Windows, or even a PC because you don't
even know what PCI is.

> Then after several years experience then comeback and stand on your soap box.

I'm here!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesper Krogh)
Subject: Re: 2.4!
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:20:43 +0200

> > If you re happy with using microsoft products, then fine with that.
> > Some other haven´t sold their soul to microsoft.
>
> Sold my soul?  It's just an operating system.  Get a life.

No, it is not, it is a question about letting companies stik out closed
standards to monopolise the future. About having a opinion to destruction
of standards.

Corel, any other isn´t better, but linux is.

> > thats why you can clain this. When you have, you wouldn´t even think about
> > turning back.
>
> I didn't say 'why even use UNIX', I said "Why even use **Linux**?".
> There is a huge difference.

Please explain ?

Btw: Have Microsoft come up with a reliable newsserver ?

--
./Jesper Krogh.
The Goal is world domination, no more, no less.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: Re: Linux and Free Internet?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:28:32 -0000

Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>"Nathaniel Jay Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.
>>
>> I'll add them to my 'list of bad Linux supporters' along with
>> InterVideo.
>>
>> Intervideo was the company that was claiming to make a
>> 'legal' DVD player for Linux (and the one that the MPAA
>> was using to claim that DeCSS wasn't necissary for watching DVDs on
>> 'other' operating systems).  Nearly eight months after their initial
>> announcement and they have burried the press release and have absolutely
>> nothing but
>> 'get WinDVD here' type of links on their site.
>>
>> I would bet by the end of the year they will say the same thing NetZero
>> is saying now.  Especially if the entire appeals process has run it's
>> course in the DeCSS trial.
>>

>I'm unhappy that it didn't come out too. I'd like to be able to play DVDs
>on my laptop while traveling.
>
>Here is an article that MaximumLinux had a little while ago about
>InterVideo's LinDVD.
>
>Apparently they have it, and it works, but they don't want to develop
>it.
>
>http://www.maximumlinux.com/content/news/2000/09/15/11340

Yeah, I had read that story too.  I'm not much into
conspiracy theories most of the time, but here's my take
on this one.

The MPAA needed some 'backup amunition' in the DeCSS case
(forget the fact that the judge used to be a lawyer for
the MPAA himself, and was extremely biased, read any of
the papers).  So they hired InterVideo and one other
company (I know there was another one) to 'create' a DVD
player for Linux.  Both were mentioned at trial by the
MPAA with the statement, "there is no need for DeCSS other
than to copy movies.  If people want to watch DVDs on
Linux they can purchase a legal player from one of these
companies."  Of course, the judge seemed to buy that hook
line and sinker.  Once the trial ran its course, these
companies dropped what little development they had done
(the other company I don't think did as much as InterVideo
appeared to have done), and I assume when the appeal
process gets going full-swing we will hear all kinds of
stuff about these 'commercial alternatives' for playing a
DVD.

I've messed very little with DeCSS and it is a bit of a
pain.  But I refuse to keep a copy of Windows around just
to watch the few DVDs I have.  It defeats the entire
purpose of having a DVD player in my computer (being able
to keep 'working' on my stuff while watching a movie).
Anyway, I do hope someone actually gets enough guts to
fully develop an open-source player.  I know of a couple
of efforts to do so, but at the moment they are kind of
stalling until they see the final outcome of the DeCSS
case. :-(

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Subject: Re: programming languages and design
Date: 5 Oct 2000 13:22:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
FM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, yeah, power means different things to different people.

Yup.  For many, it means the ability to keep the beers cool in summer.

> I'd define it as ability to do complex things in a short amount of
> time. Or ability to do much with less.

Power is the ability to do (typically complex) things.  The other
things you mention are more related to beauty and efficiency.  What
these things are varies according to context...

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I could even declare myself a religion, if that'd help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:21:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:37:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Also, I'd like to think of a Linux Free ISP as creating
> > its own ad-bar software for the "AOL-Effect": by making
> > connections even easier than KPPP or EZPPP, coupled with
> > free internet software, users are more likely to get
> > Internet accounts and expand the testing user base.
> > (which leads to faster bugfixes and less downtime for
> > everyone, so its a win-win situation)
>
> Well, those of us in the UK have http://www.uklinux.net,
> and they don't use an ad-bar thankfully.

Yeah, if I lived somewhere else, I'd have free internet.  :)

Here in the Midwest of the U.S.A., if you look at a map
showing the major cities wherein free internet (or in
fact any major backbone connection to the internet can
be found), you can connect the dots to form a *circle*
around the 48 connected states...which neatly circles
where I live and leaves no place really that close to
where I live.

America has some servers for local users in Wisconsin,
Oregon, and I think Washington D.C., which all do
standard PPP and allow Linux access.  My complaint was
that there are no free ISPs [a] in my area, and
[b] which have dialup numbers all over the place to be
in other people's areas and where people travel to.

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:51:44 -0300

El mié, 04 oct 2000, Richard escribió:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>> >immortal = animate object that does not age
>>
>> That is not english. I'd suggest getting another word.
>
>I'd suggest you get a brain.

Ok, I suggest you use "ageless". Webster defines it as "not growing old or
showing the effects of age".

>> >eternal = inanimate object that does not age OR animate object that does not
>> die >
>> >Perpetual cell lines are immortal.
>>
>> But perpetual cell lines are very peculiar. Normal cells can not reproduce ad
>> infinitum. Cancerous cells and embryo cells can, though.
>
>And what is your fucking point?

Just a comment.

>Are you implying that normal cell lines *are* immortal??????

No.

>> >Corporations are immortal because they do not age and are animate beings
>> >(and thus animate objects).
>>
>> Corporations, using that peculiar definition of immortal, are immortal, if we
>> accept them to be animate beings.
>
>*WRONG* NUMBSKULL! Corporations need only be animate *OBJECTS*.

"Corporations ... are animate beings", you just said, if I agreed with that,
I would agree with the whole. I won't even guess what animate objects are
supposed to be, so I won't agree or disagree to that.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: John Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Double standard?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 08:30:05 -0500

MH wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > OS stability by far.  I'm just glad that Linux offers better in both
> > departments.
> > I have asked windows users time and time again what makes windows
> > greater
> > than KDE and GNOME and I never get an answer.
>
> This movie has been rolling for sometime now, but it has gotten really old.

        True.
        [deletia]

> So, this 'home' user,.. or 'luser' as you people here like to call them.
> What do they really want?
> Family 'luser'? Simple suite of tools? Financial, contacts, printshop type
> of program,  web browsing and email, games, reference, and educational
> software for the kids.
> Windows 8, Linux 2

        This is probably a pretty fair comment.  Financial: I have a friend
that justifies his purchases of new computers (about 1 every two years)
by saying it's the only way he can balance his check book. (WIN)
Contacts:  What?  A phone list?  You can do this with the shell.  And
retrieve anything faster than you can even start your GUI based mess.
(Linux) Printshop:  Haven't used 'em. (WIN) Web/email: Lynx, Netscape
and elm. (Split) Games:  don't use 'em. (WIN) Reference:  There are
specific ones for Windows.  I have cds of RFCs and a couple of magazines
and some I.C. manufacturers. (Split)  Edu.: (WIN).  Win: 6 Linux: 3.

> OK, someone just starting to program..
> I love hunting and pecking with GNU's GCC, GDB and multiple xterms. Trouble
> is I can do it all in ONE screen with Borland turbo C++ for DOS!! but, Linux
> is a great environment for a programming student. Visual
> environments...Phoenix? please... student discounts on the Borland & the
> Visual tool of the year is around $99.

        This is what kills me.  I've used Borland 4.0 for Windows IDE.  You're
basically saying here that DOS is as capable as UNIX?  For software
development?  You're just insane.  You "hunt and peck"?  That's probably
a lot of your problem.  I'd really love to know how you can do on one
screen in DOS what you can do on multiple xterms.  Your tool list also
left out vi or emacs, the shell, sed, awk and RCS or SCCS.  Maybe you're
the one that can't exploit your interface to the fullest?

> Windows 5, Linux 5 --Toss up, depends on which way you want to go. Perl,
> python, linux comes with so many tools..and is so stable. I like both. I
> think I'll use both.
>
> Top things for the new Linux -'luser' to consider.
>
> You don't purchase software.
        $600 for ModelSim. $1200 for Mentor.  These are the highest priced
software I've bought.  BS I don't buy software.
> You don't have much software either.
        Well, I don't have shelves full of games.
> It's NOT windows = not a 'luser'.
        ???
> Cool desktop themes to make you stand out.
        What the fu..??
> Boast big 'uptimes'.
        My net is always up except when I shut down for weather.
> Fall asleep ASAP reading 'learning the Bash Shell'
        Ah-ha!  You take pride in your lack of knowledge.
> Keep telling yourself you're hip while running a third-rate web browser in
> NN(sic) for *nix.
        OK. That's NNTP.

> And number one....
> How are you gonna get that tux sticker off of your bumper once you realize
> how silly it looks?

        You should use Windows.  I don't care if you incapable of using Linux.
--

John W. Sanders
===============

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:54:28 -0300

El mié, 04 oct 2000, Richard escribió:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>> You seem to have a really bad time reading. I said that if aliens were proven
>> to exist, the definition may have to be changed. Currently, they are not, so it
>> has not.
>
>Irrelevant, cretin. Something need not be proven to exist in order to
>require a change in the language. That it be shown POSSIBLE is usually
>sufficient.
>
>*ARE* aliens human?

What aliens? The aliens that are like hamsters only dumber? No.

>If so then *why*? Produce a FORMAL definition of human that will *NOT*
>       need to be updated regularly (geez, ever heard of mathematics?)

Not everything is mathematics.

>And if not then can they be psychopaths?

If who not what?

>> Nonsense. For someone who claims to be a formalist, you have no problem being
>
>And as I already explained, cretin, 1) being a formalist is a philosophical
>position and has nothing to do with being formal all the time, and 2) you are
>too stupid to appreciate rigour, let alone work rigorously, so I hardly feel
>the need to be rigourous myself.

Whatever.

>> completely illogic. Formally, if you wanted it to be a statement that is not
>> always true, you need to qualify it. A is B means A is always B. If you mean,
>> sometimes, you have to say it.
>
>I'm only rigorous when it's RELEVANT, nitwit. You're only ever concerned
>with logic when you think you can score a point. I (Richard) am rigorous,
>you (Roberto) are pedantic. Learn to conjugate that verb properly!

You are doing it again, Richard. You are not rigorous all the time (you said it
above). You are _sometimes_ rigorous.

>> >If the UN doesn't fucking matter then why the fuck did you bring it up???
>>
>> Who says it doesn't matter? Please don't try to impose your opinion by forse of
>> assertion.
>
>And now we're ALL the way back to the beginning where I explained that
>the UN isn't an expert in moral philosophy!!!!!!!!

And you are?

>> >With *NO* rational reasons. There is no right to have religions since this
>> >supposed "right" directly contradicts freedom FROM religion.
>>
>> My having a religion doesn't impose any religiousness on you.
>
>Learn to be consistent, cretin. At least in the same fucking sentence!

I don't see any inconsistence in "My having a religion doesn't impose any
religiousness on you."

>Your being religIOUS does not impose any "religiOUSNESS" on me.
>Your having a religION imposes that religION on me.

No. I don't impose the religion's guidelines, values, rites or ablutions on
you. What am I imposing? You could not even be able to notice the religion,
even trying.

>  A religion is an inherently public structure, like a corporation.

You have a very limited view of religion.

>> > Claiming that
>> >you have a right to impose your little irrationalities on others is like
>> >claiming that you have the right to murder people; utterly absurd.
>>
>> Claiming that because someone is religious he is imposing religious on others
>> is just false.
>
>And you are a fucking moron.

And you, apparently are traumatized because of abuse during your childhood,
maybe by your mother, or perhaps she just failed to protect you?

>> >Look, cretin, I said that A had to happen and B had to happen, I never
>> >said that B could only happen after A!
>>
>> Perhaps you could explain how a corp. can become a cooperative, then.
>
>And now we're ALL the way back to the beginning *AGAIN*.

Because what you said didn't work.

>> >You're a fuckhead.
>>
>> And you, my friend, are wrong. And as usual, resort to insult when shown to be
>> wrong. What a sore loser. With emphasis on loser.
>
>You're a moron.

Well, it's an upgrade from fuckhead. Nice to see your concept of me is
improving.

>> >No, it would not.
>>
>> Giving away money to employees with the purpose of decreasing stockholders's
>> stock value is not against fiduciary duty? Amazing.
>
>No, SHITHEAD, *selling* stock to employees ("issuing" does not imply giving it
>away you fucking stupid moronic shit for brains!) and buying back the stock of
>non-employees does not devalue the stock.

In that case, what happens if an employee quits?

>> You seem to have a very poor grasp on the free market. On the other hand, you
>> claimed it doesn't exist, so it figures.
>
>You have a poor grasp of EVERYTHING, including Godel's incompleteness theorem

I could fax you the 120 page thing I wrote on it.

>(sight unseen, you are just SO much of a moron that I feel 99% confidence in
>that statement)!

Whatever.

--
Roberto Alsina