Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:23:24 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: t. max devlin: kook
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett) wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 13:24:32 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >You're correct!  I've watched new secretaries trying to learn point and
> >click for the first time.  Hand-eye-coordination training is needed.
> >All newbies to windows have trouble in the beginning.  And then real
> >troubles later on when the crapware starts giving them fits.
> >

> My good ol' Mom bought a Windows machine three years ago.  She is the
> newbie of all newbies.  All Windows users end of being command
> line users cause eventually they'll experience a crash or lockup
> that requires an "untidy" Windows shutdown (unplug the machine
> cause not even the "smart" power switch will work).   Then,
> when the machine is rebooting they get the commandline prompt
> telling them about how Windows was shutdown is a "untidy" manner
> and you have to tell it something about what you want the
> system to do with these dangling file thing-a-ma-jigs it has found.
> This is the point where I get the call cause my good ol' Mom has
> no idea whatsoever about what she's being told and asked to make
> a decision about.   The inevitable question is: "Son, why did
> the computer do this?" and the inevitable answer: Mom, it just
> Windows".... and I get this call EVERY time this happens.

thank you for proving my point

> Real user-friendly GUI scenario for a newbie, eh?

and that makes the case for linux... how exactly?
                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
From: Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:31:31 GMT

On 9 Apr 2001, Logan Shaw wrote:

> One reason why people don't read e-mail formatted in some Windows-only
> format is that this is a bad sign, especially if you are a Unix
> administrator.  If management is sending you MS Word documents without
> asking first whether you can read them, it indicates they probably have
> a Microsoft-centric mindset, which is sure to cause you nothing but
> problems as a system administrator.  So, if you're in the process of
> interviewing for a job and you get sent something in MS Word format, it
> might be best to delete it anyway.  If it causes you to not get the
> job, that might be best for your sanity anyway.

Agreed; I'm amazed at the number of UNIX vacancies (usually advertised by
agencies, I admit) that ask for resumes in M$ Word format.  Duh, don't
those idiots get it?!  I usually just fax 'em a copy of the printed version
which I compose in vi/groff, and output in PostScript.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: 9 Apr 2001 13:22:27 -0500

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 17:17:29 GMT, Chris Street
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 9 Apr 2001 09:08:26 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
>Everett) wrote:

>>>That's for sure.  I found the reference to "X-Mailer" in a #define,
>>>but it wasn't used anyway else in the code!  I found where a
>>>UNAME macro is used, and a few other clues, but still haven't
>>>found where the posting host string is assembled.
>>>
>>>Will look later, when time allows.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>

>>You're barking up the wrong tree.  Just get slrn source on linux
>>and modify the headers it assembles and make it look like you
>>are runnning Mozilla.
>>

>Sorry.
>
>The point I was making, which seemd to be what was claimed was that
>the header is contained as a string in the build. It isnt - not even
>any part of it. For example, you can grep the entire release and Win98
>only occurs once - in a programmers remark. The string isn't there to
>be found, so aaron needs to tell use how he did it.......

Problem is you are searching for the string Win98 in the "build".

This was way too easy.  In the source:

        mozilla/mailnews/compose/src/nsMsgCompUtils.cpp

at approx. line #440, there is the following:

    nsXPIDLString userAgentString;
    nsCAutoString   cStr;
    pHTTPHandler->GetUserAgent(getter_Copies(userAgentString));
    cStr.AssignWithConversion(userAgentString);

    if (!cStr.IsEmpty())
    {
      // PUSH_STRING ("X-Mailer: ");  // To be more standards compliant
      PUSH_STRING ("User-Agent: ");
      PUSH_STRING(cStr);
      PUSH_NEWLINE ();
    }

Replace the PUSH_STRING lines with something like:

    PUSH_STRING ("X-mailer: ");
    // PUSH_STRING ("User-Agent: ");
    PUSH_STRING("Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD {TLC;RETAIL}  (Win98; U)");
    PUSH_NEWLINE ();

Recompile and you're all set.  What was so hard about that?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:33:29 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > But Max, I have spent my entire two years with a computer using windows,
> and
> > > I have also spent five seconds watching linux boot.  I know windows is
> easy,
> > > because I can use it, and I am a fucking peasant.  Linux is hard,
> because it
> > > sometimes comes up in text mode, and I have to think about what I'm
> doing.
> >
> > thus:
> >
> > desktop market share
> >
> > windows 92%
> > linux 1%
> > mac 4%
> >
> > ha haaaw!
>
> So, what you're saying is that a large portion of the population is dumb as
> a post, if not dumber.

no, i'm saying that hostility to consumer needs is a bug not a feature.

> You then go on to prove your own membership in this
> elite crew by listing some numbers and making the assumption that some of
> these numbers being higher than others determine which system is better, and
> that this entire post is somehow related to the ease of use.

if the goal is to defeat microsoft and its emperor ease of use is job
one. if, on the other hand, you prefer to bitch and moan about the
ignorant endluzers who don't appreciate your brilliance, well
please do go on.
just don't expect unix to get anywhere on the desktop anytime soon.

> Woops!  Better get that thinking cap back on and try again.

actually i understand the crux of this issue better than you do.

> > windows rules on servers too?!?
> > who woulda thunk it...
>
> You have no understanding of numbers.  More gumbos install Windows on
> servers than any other operating system, because gumbos are prevalent, and
> can install little else.

that is precisely my point unixboy
that is precisely my point

> Let's also not forget that these numbers could
> easily be inflated because Windows isn't particularly suited to running more
> than one demanding service.

so what you're saying is customers would rather pay the price for several
copies of nt rather than deal with one machine running linux which they
can get for free?
imagine that!

> And of course, there's the possibility that you just pulled these numbers
> out of your arse.

they're from i.d.c.
                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism confession
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:34:02 GMT

   Aaron> chrisv wrote:
   >>
   >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   >>
   >> >The question is irrelevant to Mr. Kulkis' cowardly forging and lying
   >> >to try and coverup his own silly mistake.
   >>
   >> "Try" he did.  Succeed, he did not.  Kulkis has been OUTED!  LOL!

   Aaron> Wrong.  ahall is the one who committed the forgery.

Liar.

Anyone that wishes to see his forgery in action look
up the following posts on google/dejanews

You are a cowardly, lying forger.

AKA scum.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: 9 Apr 2001 13:26:01 -0500

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:23:24 -0600, Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett) wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 13:24:32 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >You're correct!  I've watched new secretaries trying to learn point and
>> >click for the first time.  Hand-eye-coordination training is needed.
>> >All newbies to windows have trouble in the beginning.  And then real
>> >troubles later on when the crapware starts giving them fits.
>> >

>> My good ol' Mom bought a Windows machine three years ago.  She is the
>> newbie of all newbies.  All Windows users end of being command
>> line users cause eventually they'll experience a crash or lockup
>> that requires an "untidy" Windows shutdown (unplug the machine
>> cause not even the "smart" power switch will work).   Then,
>> when the machine is rebooting they get the commandline prompt
>> telling them about how Windows was shutdown is a "untidy" manner
>> and you have to tell it something about what you want the
>> system to do with these dangling file thing-a-ma-jigs it has found.
>> This is the point where I get the call cause my good ol' Mom has
>> no idea whatsoever about what she's being told and asked to make
>> a decision about.   The inevitable question is: "Son, why did
>> the computer do this?" and the inevitable answer: Mom, it just
>> Windows".... and I get this call EVERY time this happens.
>
>thank you for proving my point
>
>> Real user-friendly GUI scenario for a newbie, eh?
>
>and that makes the case for linux... how exactly?
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

Oh, that's too easy.  Cause linux boots up into a nice GUI
interface that's easy to use and the above scenario never
happens on linux....case closed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Street)
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:40:16 GMT

On 9 Apr 2001 13:22:27 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
Everett) wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 17:17:29 GMT, Chris Street
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 9 Apr 2001 09:08:26 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
>>Everett) wrote:

>>>You're barking up the wrong tree.  Just get slrn source on linux
>>>and modify the headers it assembles and make it look like you
>>>are runnning Mozilla.
>>>

>>Sorry.
>>
>>The point I was making, which seemd to be what was claimed was that
>>the header is contained as a string in the build. It isnt - not even
>>any part of it. For example, you can grep the entire release and Win98
>>only occurs once - in a programmers remark. The string isn't there to
>>be found, so aaron needs to tell use how he did it.......
>>

>Problem is you are searching for the string Win98 in the "build".
>
>This was way too easy.  In the source:
>
>       mozilla/mailnews/compose/src/nsMsgCompUtils.cpp
>
>at approx. line #440, there is the following:
>
>    nsXPIDLString userAgentString;
>    nsCAutoString   cStr;
>    pHTTPHandler->GetUserAgent(getter_Copies(userAgentString));
>    cStr.AssignWithConversion(userAgentString);
>
>    if (!cStr.IsEmpty())
>    {
>      // PUSH_STRING ("X-Mailer: ");  // To be more standards compliant
>      PUSH_STRING ("User-Agent: ");
>      PUSH_STRING(cStr);
>      PUSH_NEWLINE ();
>    }
>
>Replace the PUSH_STRING lines with something like:
>
>    PUSH_STRING ("X-mailer: ");
>    // PUSH_STRING ("User-Agent: ");
>    PUSH_STRING("Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD {TLC;RETAIL}  (Win98; U)");
>    PUSH_NEWLINE ();
>
>Recompile and you're all set.  What was so hard about that?

Did I say it as hard? Don't recall that. I merely said that running a
grep on the files as Kulkis seemed to suggest would not yield what you
were after. I fail to see what the problem is

79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.
In Warwick - looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: What is 99 percent of copyright law? was Re: Richard Stallman
From: Pat McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Apr 2001 11:41:16 -0700

> distribute
> > >
> > >I don't know whether they actually claim that or not, but frankly, it's
> > >ridiculous.

What they claim and what the license agreement is are two different
things.  More below.

> > I agree with your assessment.  Unfortunately, there aren't any usenet
> > archives available that are older than about 6 months, so I couldn't
> > pull up some of RMS's posts on the subject.
>
> RMS almost never posts to usenet so it wouldn't matter if you
> could go back farther.

I've seen some particular newsgroups archived longer than that (outside
the big archive-the-world sites).  There are certainly old archives of
many mailing lists.  For example, this charming RMS post in which RMS
outlines the benefits of using the GPL even when you know it is not
enforceble.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=berlin-design&m=93118897023514&w=2

------------------------------

From: Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Something like Install Shield for Linux?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:49:32 GMT

On Mon 09 Apr 2001 12:17, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

  [Snip]

> There is no "the" old format; there's a whole collection of them, from a
> whole collection of vendors.  Are apt, rpm, and the other Linux
> installation packages interchangeable?  Not that I'm aware of.

Actually, they are, albeit indirectly.  There's alien, which can convert
between RPM, DEB, and Slackware TGZ (AFAIK, I never use alien since I
always compile from source).  You can also install rpm(1) and friends on a
non-RPM distro, although it's considerably less useful without a full set
of installed packages and dependencies.

> Will rpm dump the contents of an apt-style package?

No, but ordinary tar(1) will.  All the common package formats on Linux are
based on existing standards of one sort or another.

  [Snip]

--
Chronos Tachyon
Guardian of Eristic Paraphernalia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 9 Apr 2001 13:42:01 -0500

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:40:16 GMT, Chris Street
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 9 Apr 2001 13:22:27 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
>Everett) wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 17:17:29 GMT, Chris Street
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Sorry.
>>>
>>>The point I was making, which seemd to be what was claimed was that
>>>the header is contained as a string in the build. It isnt - not even
>>>any part of it. For example, you can grep the entire release and Win98
>>>only occurs once - in a programmers remark. The string isn't there to
>>>be found, so aaron needs to tell use how he did it.......
>>>

>>Problem is you are searching for the string Win98 in the "build".
>>
>>This was way too easy.  In the source:
>>
>>      mozilla/mailnews/compose/src/nsMsgCompUtils.cpp
>>
>>at approx. line #440, there is the following:
>>
>>    nsXPIDLString userAgentString;
>>    nsCAutoString   cStr;
>>    pHTTPHandler->GetUserAgent(getter_Copies(userAgentString));
>>    cStr.AssignWithConversion(userAgentString);
>>
>>    if (!cStr.IsEmpty())
>>    {
>>      // PUSH_STRING ("X-Mailer: ");  // To be more standards compliant
>>      PUSH_STRING ("User-Agent: ");
>>      PUSH_STRING(cStr);
>>      PUSH_NEWLINE ();
>>    }
>>
>>Replace the PUSH_STRING lines with something like:
>>
>>    PUSH_STRING ("X-mailer: ");
>>    // PUSH_STRING ("User-Agent: ");
>>    PUSH_STRING("Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD {TLC;RETAIL}  (Win98; U)");
>>    PUSH_NEWLINE ();
>>
>>Recompile and you're all set.  What was so hard about that?
>>

>Did I say it as hard? Don't recall that. I merely said that running a
>grep on the files as Kulkis seemed to suggest would not yield what you
>were after. I fail to see what the problem is

Grep is all I used.  He never suggested grep'ing for "Win98".  He just
suggested using grep.  Doing a "grep -i 'X-mailer'" on the source files
will find what you need to find.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT is stagnant while Linux explodes
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:54:35 GMT

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 16:48:24 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 667 Neighbor of the Beast
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote
> >on Fri, 06 Apr 2001 12:09:56 -0700

> >>41% is not rules.
> >
> >It is a plurality.  While not a majority, it is in fact the
> >dominant platform.  (This doesn't mean that it is the best
> >platform, of course!)
> >
> >>Anyway, since Linux is is Unix, let us combine the
> >>Unix and Linux scores.
> >
> >Be careful here.  Unix is a conglomerate itself of many operating
> >systems:  AIX, HP/UX, Tru64 Unix, Solaris, and even QNX and Mac OSX,
> >if I'm not mistaken.  Linux is not Unix as far as the Open Group
> >is concerned (yes, that's a nitpick), although it's so close I for one
> >would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
> >

> Well Windows is a conglomerate of Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 2nd
> edition, Windows ME, Windows CE, Windows NT, Windows NT server, Windows
> 2K Pro, Windows 2K Server and you let that all get lumped in a "Windows"?

I'm trying hard to learn good colloquial english. Is
"conglomerate" the polite word for "a bunch of shit?"

--
Giuliano Colla

Before activating the tongue, make sure that the brain is
connected (anonymous)

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:55:42 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Maybe I'm retired.

Maybe you're retarded.

>heheheheheh

OUTED!  hehehehhe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Street)
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 19:02:37 GMT

On 9 Apr 2001 13:42:01 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
Everett) wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:40:16 GMT, Chris Street
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 9 Apr 2001 13:22:27 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
>>Everett) wrote:

>>>Problem is you are searching for the string Win98 in the "build".
>>>
>>>This was way too easy.  In the source:
>>>
>>>     mozilla/mailnews/compose/src/nsMsgCompUtils.cpp
>>>
>>>at approx. line #440, there is the following:
>>>
>>>    nsXPIDLString userAgentString;
>>>    nsCAutoString   cStr;
>>>    pHTTPHandler->GetUserAgent(getter_Copies(userAgentString));
>>>    cStr.AssignWithConversion(userAgentString);
>>>
>>>    if (!cStr.IsEmpty())
>>>    {
>>>      // PUSH_STRING ("X-Mailer: ");  // To be more standards compliant
>>>      PUSH_STRING ("User-Agent: ");
>>>      PUSH_STRING(cStr);
>>>      PUSH_NEWLINE ();
>>>    }
>>>
>>>Replace the PUSH_STRING lines with something like:
>>>
>>>    PUSH_STRING ("X-mailer: ");
>>>    // PUSH_STRING ("User-Agent: ");
>>>    PUSH_STRING("Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD {TLC;RETAIL}  (Win98; U)");
>>>    PUSH_NEWLINE ();
>>>
>>>Recompile and you're all set.  What was so hard about that?
>>>

>>Did I say it as hard? Don't recall that. I merely said that running a
>>grep on the files as Kulkis seemed to suggest would not yield what you
>>were after. I fail to see what the problem is
>>

>Grep is all I used.  He never suggested grep'ing for "Win98".  He just
>suggested using grep.  Doing a "grep -i 'X-mailer'" on the source files
>will find what you need to find.

I think he implied that you would find what you wanted by greping for
the string. Obviously false. However if a poor windoze user like
myself, who lasted used C twelve years ago could find it by a little
lateral thought by searching for X-mailer then I'm sure Kulkis could.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Q:Windows NT scripting?
Date: 09 Apr 2001 13:09:18 -0600

Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri 06 Apr 2001 05:14, LShaping wrote:
>
> > Chronos Tachyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>On Fri 06 Apr 2001 09:38, Stephen S. Edwards II wrote:
> >
> >>  [Snip]
> >
> >>This is a good thing?  :-/
> >
> > It is a good thing for 99% of users, if it means the whole will run
> > better.  The question is not whether a GUI is necessary (that was
> > decided long ago), the question is how efficient and stable can it be.
> > LShaping
> >

> The problem, of course, is that efficient and stable are pretty much
> mutually exclusive at this point in time.  Windows chooses efficiency
> (although XFree 4.0 has made great strides in this area), while X chooses
> stability of the system.

You haven't used DRI then?

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]