From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:02:00 +0000

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 11:01:19 -0400, "David T. Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.sys.mac.advocacy wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:42:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] in
>> comp.sys.mac.advocacy wrote:

>> >Inappropriately.
>>
>> Be quiet turd, you shamed us all with your cowardice.
>
>I like ironing for someone who posts annonymously.

Sorry, I already have a maid.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:02:02 +0000

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:47:54 -0400, "David T. Johnson"

So you did it for him.
You are a good friend and maid.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:20:47 GMT

The biggest problem is the candidates definition of "Middle Class:.

Sorry someone making 25k in NY is poor, not middle class.
They need to get out of this 50-100k salaried workers being the
wealthy in this country.

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Mccarty Sr)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.lang.c,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: 5 Oct 2000 20:00:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Matt Kennel <REMOVE THE BAD DOMAIN> wrote:
)On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:54:00 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
):
):IBM's GREATEST MISTAKE was making a machine which anybody could
):copy in his garage.
)
)As I remember the story, they published all the hardware specification
)and BIOS disassembly assuming that if anybody tried to make a 100% copy
)that IBM could easily sue them out of business.
)
)Compaq did make a copy and IBM was shocked to lose the suit, and
)the market thereafter.

[snip]

Eagle made a "near copy" and lost and went out of business. Compaq made
a "not near copy" and stayed in business.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux - - Troll
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:23:20 -0000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 19:15:34 +0100, Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Dave Ratcliffe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Unix suxks
>>
>> Mose people without the capacity to understand things more difficult than
>> "pull this tab to open" say that.
>>

>I dunno, I'm not overly fond of Unix. Still, if everyone used it, who would
>you feel superior too? ;-)

        Perhaps people that used it in the form of reliable, easy to
        use embedded systems (like Tivo) rather than as a general
        purpose device.

--

  Captain Penny's Law:
        You can fool all of the people some of the time, and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Why should anyone prefer Linux to Win2k on the DeskTop
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:26:33 -0000

On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 18:32:07 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
>on Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:58:35 -0500
><A4JC5.4088$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>"David M. Butler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>>
>>> Which is obviously why Apache is used so much more widely, right?
>>
>>And what makes you think that apache is used more widely?  I don't think
>>there are any statistics to back this up, unless of course you mean "More
>>domain names are hosted on apache servers", but that doesn't mean it's used
>>in more physical servers.  It may be, but I don't see any evidence to
>>support that other than wishful thinking.
>>
>>Netcrafts numbers simply do not paint the full picture.
>
>I strongly suspect -- from cursory research -- that they can't
>differentiate between "website that is up" and "website that is
>actively working, soliciting business, answering questions,
>and servicing users".
>
>A pity, for it would be nice to have a breakdown by Total Megabytes of
>Data Served, or perhaps Megabytes Per Hour, as opposed to a mere
>tabulation of websites.  One might liken Netcraft's methods to
>poking a needle into a cage in complete darkness, drawing a minute
>quantity of blood (bandwidth), then saying "See, there's an animal
>in there."  Can't tell whether it's a shrew or a gorilla without
>further testing, though. :-)
>
>Would IIS (NT/W2K) win?  Possibly.  I don't know, really, and I suspect
>very few people do.

        People have already broken down the netcraft numbers thusly
        by using extra metrics to narrow the population of "acceptable"
        websites. In very few instances does this really benefit IIS
        in terms of appearances.

        You have to work really hard to cook webserver data such that
        IIS looks any better than it would otherwise. Netscape seems to
        be the vendor that ends up gaining  most from such endeavors.

--

  Justice, n.:
        A decision in your favor.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Off Topic Q. for Programmers: HTML renderer in C?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:22:53 GMT

I know this is an advocacy newsgroup, but more programmers seem to hang
out here than in the Linux-c-dev newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask.

I want to incorporate some sort of HTML/XML/SGML/WHATEVERML rendering
engine into a program I'm writing, using C and GTK+. I looked into
ripping Gecko off the Mozilla project, but they're pretty locked into
C++.

Most importantly, it'd need to display text, have hyperlinking
capabilities and the ability to execute a small snippet of code (pop up
a dialogue box, pop up a list box).

Where does something like this exist? Or am I smoking crack? Am I going
to have to bite the bullet and rewrite everything to work with Gtk--?

Any help would be appreciated.

-ws

From: WickedDyno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:42:43 -0400

Note the word "generally".

--
|          Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu>         |
| SCSI is *NOT* magic.  There are *fundamental technical |

------------------------------

From: WickedDyno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:44:39 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, STATIC66
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:34:41 GMT, Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Wrong.  Millions of people go to college while earning
> >> what is considered to be "poverty level" incomes.
> >
> >   ROTFL. Their tuition is always subsidized, however, whether by their
> >parents or by government-backed loan guarantees. Furthermore, most
> >college students come from middle-class or upper-class homes, meaning
> >that they got much more in handouts from their parents than most poor
> >kids do.
>
> So a parent being responsible and planning for the future of their
> offspring rather than turning to the government with an outstretched
> hand is somehow bad. That is not a handout its called responsibility.
> >
> >   Also, dealing in illegal drugs is not living off of handouts.
>
> NO it is criminal and illegal and if it wasn't for you bleeding heart
> liberal types, it could be met with SWIFT PUNISHMENT..
> >
> >   Even theft is not living off of handouts; victims of theft ought to
> >be glad that thieves are trying to provide for themselves.
>
> No they should arm themselves..
>
> Advocating theft as an alternative to welfare is hardly a responsible
> arguement. But nothing much about liberalism is responsible.

LOL!  What a perfect parody of the ultra-conservative right wingers!
What accurate dogmatism, what utterly convincing arrogance!

Wait...

You were joking, weren't you?

;)

From: ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:57:43 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ZnU wrote:
> >
> > In article <8rbls4$4a2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "James Stutts"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Loren Petrich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8rb4ll$h19$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > In both cases, it doesn't have to.  I suggest you read the 10th
> > > Amendment. If it isn't explicitly stated in the Constitution, the
> > > Congress has no business doing it.
> >
> > Which reads "The powers not delegated to the United States by the
> > Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the
> > States respectively, or to the people."
> >
> > But article 1, section 8 gives Congress the power to, among other
> > things, provide for the "general Welfare of the United States," and the
> > power to make any laws necessary to do so.
>

> GENERAL WELFARE... is such things as running a court system, jails,
> etc.  I.e. things which benefit society as a whole.
>

> AFDC, WIC, Section 8 housing, etc. are INDIVIDUAL WELFARE....which
> only benefits lazy free-loaders.

Maintaining a minimum standard of living for everyone in society
benefits the general welfare.

--
This universe shipped by weight, not volume.  Some expansion may have
occurred during shipment.

ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | <http://znu.dhs.org>

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 17:01:34 -0400

Said Richard in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

>> Anything can be predicted, and be right through chance.  It is the
>> ability to explain why you predicted it which is the only reason science
>> makes predictions.  Science isn't the ability to make predictions [that
>> is theorizing, a component of science], but the ability to explain how
>> you predicted it.
>
>In this paragraph you're saying the exact same thing that I'm saying.
>Is it that in your previous response, it only looked like we disagreed
>because you'd muddled things?

Possible, but unlikely.  It does mean, if your able to see in my words
something you can understand, and might agree with, that you're acting
more rationally.  Please don't reduce this discussion to insult and
ridicule again, OK?

I believe the similarity of our statements is a result of the fact that
we do agree on the concepts of explanatory power and prediction, and
their distinction.  (That in itself might be considered quite a bit to
be satisfied with, considering we're on Usenet.)

I knew all along that I was not disagreeing with your description of the
relationship between the two, but merely exploring it, because I noticed
that a bit of exploration would refute your idea that "the value of
prediction derives entirely from the value of explanation".  And yet the
statement you made is true in a very slightly different, yet distinct,
context, so I thought to try to clarify what the 'value of explanation'
is.  Perhaps we don't even disagree, after all, but I'm sure you can
find something to dispute in the following statement, which summarizes
my thinking on 'science, explanation, and prediction' in this
discussion:

The value of explanatory power is to provide a prediction which can be
empirically tested.  The empirical truth, science, is merely the fact of
the prediction; the explanation of how you predicted it is theory.  The
theory is available for revision.  This is why I said that science is
empirical discovery, not a narrative, even while it is the explanation,
not the prediction, which is the important part.  If you are confused,
it means you're getting close to the idea.  You said 'the value of the
prediction is to prove the explanation true', and I pointed out that it
is to test the explanation which is the reason for an experiment, but it
is the prediction which is important to science.

Sorry for the confusion; I hope exploring the concepts of theory and
science might point out why I disagreed with your statement.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html