From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:12:25 -0800

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 20:11:05 GMT,
 Chad Myers, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>> And by what FACTS did you come to the conclusion that it's not stable?
>
>Well, because it's not the most popular or near the most popular FS for
>Linux, so it's probably riddled with bugs. We don't know because it's
>never been thoroughly tested except by a scant few brave (stupid?)
>souls who trust their data to a beta, untested file system.

so because it is not as common as another FS, it must be buggy? Gee, does that
mean that MS Money is much more buggier than Quicken simply because it is not
as common? Or that Windows CE/Pocket PC must be far buggier than PalmOS simply
because the MS product has such a small market share? Perhaps you would like to
claim that W2K is far more buggier than Win98 based on the fact that there are
far fewer systems running W2k?

wheee! this is fun Chad...

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Why Linux won't get far in Luxembourg's comapanies.
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:22:56 -0800

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:45:16 +0100,
 Mig, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>This sounds like complete nonsense...
>
>1) Does Luxembourg use dollars as currency?

No, they use the Luxembourg franc, which is currently at about 44 to the US
dollar. The poster probably used dollars for  comparison because most posters
know how their currency fares against it, whereas few would know how their's
fares against the Lf

>2) I suppose the tax system of Luxembourg is similar to other countries.
>Explain the gain of paying more then necessary for any system.

It's called a writeoff. You get to write business expenses off against taxes in
many places, and depreciation rates on computer systems makes them a very nice
writeoff indeed.

>3) Why didnt you buy a 1 mio $ system

Probably didn't have a million $ maybe?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:30:12 -0800

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:41:13 GMT,
 Charlie Ebert, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>In article <CSf86.32$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>about

>>at

My brother lives in Wasila Alaska, pop about 4000, he lives about 15 miles out
of town, he has a cable modem. Now it doesn't get much more rural than Wasila,
at least not without the occasional bear wandering through (opps, he gets that
too.) So your claim of rural areas can't get 56K is hyperbole.

>>Even

A basic linux machine will fit onto a floppy.

>>> Total Bullcrap EF.  They do!
>>>
>>> 56 K hot and read and the fiber line is just 2 miles away.
>>
>>Ok charlie, you've just completely shot your credibility on this story (your
>>credibility is shot anyways, but on this story you're lying).
>>
>>56K doesn't work with fiber lines.  56K works only on copper connected
>>directly to a CO because it takes advantage of the lack of analog to digital
>>conversion.  If you've got fiber between you and the CO, you get multiple
>>A/D conversions and it totally screws your ability to get more than 33.6.

bzzzt!

56k (downloads note) are limited to one A-D link, which can be at the  fiber
head, or at the CO, since the fiber is digital into the backbone, it works fine
with 56k.

>>> And YES overnight.  Believe it bad boy.
>>
>>Liar.

Given that we don't know how much he pulled overnight (despite your claims of
300MB) nor do we know what the speed was (as shown, your claims of no 56K in
rural areas is bullshit.)

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jan 2001 21:07:10 -0600

I cannot say with 100% certainty if SWC is or is not running in kernel mode.
I just don't know that certain. But what I do know is that, yes, IIS was
generating the content. SWC may have served up cached copies later but the
original content came from IIS.

Now, if you are certain this is not true, I suggest you contact Spec and
declare the cheater and have them remove that result. Let them look into
this and see what they say. Amazing that everyone else just missed this but
you spotted it Sherlock Holmes.

And, besides, why would you think that SWC wouldn't generate a Date field?

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93sbcr$cac$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> So you are not denying anymore that SWC is a subsystem or driver executing
in
> the Windows 2000 kernel in kernel-mode, and that almost no (if any) IIS
5.0
> code was executing during the benchmark. This was my point from the
beginning
> :-) Your claim is that SWC is caching full static HTTP replies. Then it's
in
> blatant violation of HTTP RFC's, IIRC the 'Date:' field for example has to
be
> generated for every request. I just digged RFC-2616 up, it says: "Origin
> servers MUST include a Date header field in all responses, except in these
> cases: [... hardware has no clock ...].") So SWC 3.0 either violates the
HTTP
> [...]
fields
> autonomously (and thus qualifies as a webserver). Pick your favorite.
>
>     Thomas
>
> > content. It serves up cached copies of static pages. That's what it
does.
> > Period. It is impossible for SWC to produce a dynamically generated
page.
> > Period. The sooner you get over these facts the sooner you can rejoin
> > reality.... sheesh...
> >
> > Then again - thinking about it... ok, so what? Say SWC is some
mysterious
> > here-to-unknown product MS has that no one has noticed until it went
> > head-to-head with the linux kernel mode webserver and THEN, desperate
for
> > answers why linux only was a scant 2.7% faster the zealots had to go
digging
> > for some exuse. Amazing that no one else has noticed this interesting
> > product that can do such miraculous performance and is tucked into the
> > kernel yet multi-million dollar players have simply "missed" it -
whoops,
> > just like that. But mcnash spots it by his own mind-reading
interpretation
> > of the source code to a benchmark.
> >
> > I do see that by examining the files dell submitted for the tux results
that
> > there is a line that reads: "interact with the TUX kernel subsystem" -
there
> > we have it, proof that tux is running in the kernel space. There is
> > documentation for how to access it from user space too. So, there you
have
> > it... tux in the kernel... whatever...
> >
> > silly
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:93q1j7$nhu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Contrary to your assertion, SWC is in the kernel, it's visible from
> > > user-space as a Windows 2000 device. Proof is Microsoft's own
submitted
> > > source code:
> > > http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/api-src/Dell-20001212-TWC.zip -
> > unpack
> > > it and open the twc.c C-sourcecode file. Search for 'SWC', it gives
this
> > > comment: "// Open Kernel SWC device": Q.E.D.  Moreover, try searching
for
> > > 'IIS' or 'ISAPI' in the whole source-code package - you will find only
> > one!
> > > You will find many references to 'SWC' (Microsoft's in-kernel
webserver)
> > and
> > > 'TWC', the API to this in-kernel webserver. You will even find some
> > interface
> > > definitions in twc.h. If you ever programmed dynamic applications
(ISAPIs)
> > > under IIS, you'll immediately recognize that in this benchmark no IIS
was
> > > used for the dynamic requests. (maybe IIS was used for the 0.005%
CGI's
> > > SPECweb99 generates.) Calling the test-results 'IIS 5.0 + SWC 3.0' is
most
> > > likely a boldfaced lie, or at best an extreme exaggeration. In reality
it
> > was
> > > a "99.99% SWC 3.0 + 0.005% IIS 5.0" test.  Thomas

> > likely
> > 'front-end
> > own
The

http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/res2000q4/web99-20001211-00082.html

http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/res2000q2/web99-20000612-00049.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: More Linux woes
Date: 15 Jan 2001 03:11:29 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I give up. You are just to dense to understand this..
: Consider it closed.

I must admit that I'm confused, too.

I'm currently playing a CD, and I just disconnected the audio connector,
and...silence.

Hmmm...maybe I'm not running Linux?...

[dave@taro dave]$ uname -a
Linux taro 2.2.18 #1 Sun Dec 31 13:06:08 PST 2000 i686 unknown

Nope, I'm definately running Linux.  And yet I've never experienced this
"Linux woe" before.

Could it be that, as Mark has said, again and again (and you refuse to
hear), that this is an APPLICATION issue?  That the APPLICATION you have
chosen to use to play CDs (and there are MANY different choices available
for this task) rips by default, so that it can also do cute little
visualization tricks?

By continuing to repeat the same claim, again and again, without reading
or comprehending Mark's answer, you are not doing anything to make
yourself look intelligent (not that your intelligence is really an issue
around here anymore).

Personally, I don't use xmms, since there are many slim, command-line
players available that suit my tastes better.  This means that I cannot
find the setting to turn this off for you.  So, stop whining and find it
yourself.  If, for some reason, xmms does not contain such a setting
(which I think is doubtful), this does not indicate a failing in Linux as
a whole, only a failure on your part to select the correct tool for the
job.  I invite you to try gcd, gtcd, workbone, cdcd, cdtool, or any of the
many other cd players available for Linux.

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Call for developers: Living Object System (long)
Date: 15 Jan 2001 00:16:27 +0300

 Donal K. Fellows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 : irrelevant *right now*.

 : Further thought indicates that you probably ought to have a
 : look at coding  your idea up in Java.  It has many benefits
 : (built-in support for security[*], code mobility, databases,
 : networking, objects, etc.) and some of the things you are
 : describing are really already there (in particular,
 : you should look at ClassLoaders, RMI/CORBA, and JavaSpaces.) There is no
 : sense in reinventing the wheel...

There is VERY MUCH SENSE reinventing the wheel if the wheel is
written using currently available JVM implementations and Java
libraries.

I don't understand why programs on compiled, strictly typed language
are SO bloated and slow. Perl, Tcl and Python have typically order of
magnitude smaller RSS, are order of magnitude faster, and have all the
advantages of the interpreted languages such as typelessness, eval
function etc.

Java was proposed as language for coffee manchines, which should mean
that it should be able to run multithreaded on Z80 with 32K memory.
But actually simple java app which does function of typucall makefile,
or 200-line Tcl script (I mean Oracle Installer, of course) can put
128Mb server to its knees.

(Of coursce, C++ is no better, it has all the drawbacks of Java and
lacks its two only benefints - garbage collection and Unicode support).

BTW, may be original poster should drop his idea about networked
anthill, and just write proper java machine, which would be as smaller
than Microsoft JVM (which is way smaller than Sun's and IBM's) as
vim 3.0 smaller than MS Word 2000. I suspect it is possible.
--
-  long    f_ffree;    /* free file nodes in fs */
+  long    f_ffree;    /* freie Dateiknoten im Dateisystem */

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: 15 Jan 2001 00:25:53 +0300

 Robert J. Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 : No problem.  You've screwed up in just under a dozen places,
 : far as I can
 : tell, and you're coming perilously close to reinventing a
 : wheel that most AI
 : researchers abandoned in the '60s; but beyond that, I'll
 : keep my comments to
 : myself.

 They've abandoned it becouse they have few kilobytes of memory
 and few thousands instructions per second in their disposal.

 Now when I can have on my desk a system with gygabyte of memory,
 hundred gygabytes of disk space, which is able to execute TRILLIONS
 of instruction per hour (thing of mere 333Mhz * 3600 seconds)
 situation can be different. Some of ideas which was buried in '60s
 as unrealistic, deserve excavation.

 It seems that living objects which do something useful is better way
 of wasting our present computing power than animated banners, bulk
 mailers and 1st person shooters.

--
No, that'd be silly.
             -- Larry Wall in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Delphi Forums Downgrading from Windows 2000 to NT 4.0
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:49:38 +0200

"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93t6k7$10j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> ---Begin Excerpt---
>
> " We are presented with two choices at this point, we can downgrade the
> operating system to Windows NT 4.0 and use the same high-end, extremely,
> fast network cards or we can stay with Windows 2000 and replace the
network
> cards with the lower-end, but still server-class, network cards. We have
> opted for the first plan as this is a configuration which we have used and
> know works. At this point, we do not want to experiment with our clients
> only to find out that the lower-end network cards are not sufficient to
the
> task.
>
> ---End Excerpt ---
>
> Is it true that "Microsoft has not released any figures on corporation W2K
> server migration figures, almost a year after its release."? I'd
appreciate
> links to any articles if they are available.
>
> Anybody know of any high-end network cards that are flaky under the 2.4
> Linux kernel but are stable under the 2.2 kernel?

Give it time, 2.4 was just released, I'm not sure how many high end server
switched to it yet.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:16:14 GMT

Interconnect wrote:

> Unless you're running a beta kernel Linux is stable. Linux the OS that is :)

Actually the 2.3/2.4 kernels have been very stable in my testing.

> Yes Netscape is buggy, but it has improved. Since going open source mind you

It crashes from time to time, but I just start it right back up.

Mozilla is starting to shape up though - M17 is not bad.

jjs

alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
From: "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:55:37 -0500

In <93nglg$8dk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/12/2001
   at 12:59 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brock) said:

>I keep on quoting you, and you keep on deleting the quotes.

Because the quote was not relevant. I'll include it this one time just
to make you happy.

>What
>you said was:
>       The fact that you don't use an XEDIT feature doesn't mean
>       that it's not part of XEDIT. If it doesn't run XEDIT macros
>       then it's not an XEDIT clone, regardless of whatever else
>       it does.

As I pointed out, "XEDIT macros" is not the same as "any XEDIT
macros".

>But still, taken literally, it is
>much more reasonable to read this as "doesn't run any XEDIT macros"

No, adding words that change the meaning is not "taken literally".

>I think we may simply disagree on what a clone is.

Obviously, we disagree as to whether a proper subset is a clone.

>because it attempts to duplicate XEDIT
>command by command.

We also seem to disagree as to the meaning of "command by command".
When the original supports operands that are missing in the imitator,
then no reasonable person would beleive that they had copied it
"command by command."

BTW, the entire maintenance methodology in VM is built on one of the
pieces of XEDIT that Mansfiled did not copy.

     Atid/2
     Team OS/2
     Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action.  I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
domain acm dot org user shmuel to contact me.  Do not reply to

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Server Saga
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:19:57 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

After having read you above post I can only say that you
should get the network (tcp/ip) running. THEN install
webmin 0.83. This is a browser based system setup utility
(yes it has mandrake 7.2 support) Initial setup is a bit
hairy (its text based but interactive so its not too painful)
This will allow you to setup the system from the comfert of your
personal system. You can load new packages, setup servers, add
users, setup nfs ftp etc etc. This package should be on your
distribution (it may not be ver 0.83 if not visit
http:www.webmin.com ). Webmin is a browser based tool for
damn near complete remote system administration.
 I would also install the package
swat (though this should be installed along with samba)
Samba Web Administration Tool. Runs through a browser
but because of your aversion to editing text files (grin)
I warn you you have to add one whole line of text to
inetd.conf.
  Both of these can be installed on a machine
that does NOT have X installed. It allows editing the
configurations of various parts of a system REMOTELY.
Just install them both (not really that hard) and sit back
and fire up netscape (needs a broweser that can handle a login for a
remote server) log into the remote systems webmin server and edit
the system to your requierments. I use it and it works very well for me.
  BTW why did you do just a small network type install on a 30gb drive
I would have installed the whole ball of wax then gotten
rid of what I didn't want. OF course I use slackware So the install
(full) is fairly small < 2gb) I have NO idea how much a full install
of mandrake 7.2 takes up. If its anything like an SuSE full install
I could see where you would be coming from on doing a network only
type install.
--
Jim Broughton
(The AmigaOS now there was an OS!)

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 05:18:09 +0200

"Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93tp7q$ljm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Unless you're running a beta kernel Linux is stable. Linux the OS that is
:)

> Yes Netscape is buggy, but it has improved. Since going open source mind
you

You mean *minimun* requirement of P133 + 64MB RAM?

IE 5.5 need 486 + 32 (MAX Minimum)

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:24:43 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

 [ a lot of crap]

> -Chad

Chad Myers is inane.  Why do you bother
conversing with this moron?

Do yourself a favor... relax... skip his posts.

Chris (much happier nowadays)

--
Flipping the Bozo bit at 400 MHz