From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: You Linux folks Just Don't Get It....
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:11:18 GMT

Is name calling, changing the subject, twisting words and playing
semantic games your only way of trying to cover up your lack of a
decent arguments?

claire

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:14:51 +1300

Claire, I donot believe a word many of the Linux Advocates go on about, like, "my
machines never crashed", or "my machine hasn't needed a reboot in 2 years", however,
from my experience, I have found both Windows 2000 and Linux to be very realiable.
I have used Windows 2000 and have had no problems, however, I prefer to use Linux
because of the unixness of it.  However, I do accept Windows in some areas is
superior to Linux, just as Linux maybe superior in another area.

matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Power of the Future!
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:07:09 GMT

In article <39e2167f$0$5798
$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

wrote in message
> [...]
$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > Drestin Black wrote:
> >
> > > "Mike Byrns"
<"mike.byrns"@technologist,.com> wrote in message
$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]
Charlie Ebert
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

GNU/GPL.

the best desktop?  NO, HELL
> NO!
YES!

that hill top?   1%.

it did for the last
> 5-10-15-20
not only the total IT
> industry,
sustainable

per year for almost 8 years.

Hardly, NO.  That Microsoft mouse
> or
software.

make them not a threat to
> Intel ?

chips for
what do you
MANUFACTURED by
Intel.
the
for

Kulkis, Devlins and Blacks
> that
stretch credibility and then post
> no
was this momentus event
> supposed to
chips but they were NOT Intel
do own fabs, in Texas and
> Germany
Microsoft systems engineer and
recollection of AMD EVER making
> chips
> > > >

> > > Excuse me?! I always backup my "wild ass"
statements. Ask me of
> something I
> > > didn't support with evidence. Don't you
DARE lump me in with Kulkis or
> > > whoever that other dude is.
> >
> > Then start being a little more temperate.  It
pains me to see Windows
> folks come
> > across just as wacko as the rabid Mac and
Linux fanatics.  Think about
> it --
> > there's really no reason to do so.  Windows
is the best mix of all they
> have to
> > offer -- there's no reason to get bent when
rebutting these folks.  Don't
> sink
> > to their losing methods.  You obviously know
your stuff.  Why not beat
> them with
> > facts and logic.  It's not any more difficult
than getting emotional and
> quite a
> > bit more satisfying at least for me!
> >
> Mike: you have to understand something. Most of
my replies are the type
> "more satisfying" for you. but there are a
couple of pathetic morons who
> essentially chase me through this forum and
intentionally act stupid (they
> can't really be that stupid and work a
computer, I don't think) and
> sometimes I find I can only fight fire with
fire. I have my facts, I assure
> you. I only join threads where I know I've got
either 1st hand experience or
> a reliable URL to back me up. It's unforunate
that even when you produce
> unimpeachable evidence they idiots ignore and
continue to attack. Sorry if
> that bothers you. I'm not some rabid MS
fanatic, I just like their products
> cause they work so well for me and my clients
so it bothers me to see lies
> and FUD spread about something I like.
>
> db

I think the same can be said for Linux users when
you post about something we/they like. If you
like it what does it matter what other people
think?

BTW I use W2k and Linux and I like both, however
in my opinion W2k is *easier* (ie more user
friendly IMHO) to use, simply because I started
on Windows. However Linux has come a long way in
that respect even since my first attempt, RH6 and
I hope it (Linux, but not just linux, there's
also FreeBSD) is successful.

There are those on all sides who will resort to
personal inults (probably going to get some after
this ;)) ON ALL SIDES, whether they Win, Mac or
Linux users, not worth talkin to. For the record
there are also rabid Windows users (I know one or
two :)) who say things are crap because they
either havent, dont know how, or dont want to
know how, to use them.

Bottom line is if its 'comfortable' for you use,
then use it, but please all lets not dis other
peeps for doing the same. :)

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:21:36 GMT

Roberto Alsina wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Roberto Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Ok, I hate to interrupt your discussion, but I just *have* to know why
> > H2O is not water...
>
> My personal guess: H2O is also steam, ice, etc.

Steam, yes. Ice and water, no. No more than a bunch of monomers
are a plastic. The functional unit of water isn't the individual
water molecule, nor is this the case for most ice states.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:23:33 -0000

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:00:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 20:30:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Stop changing the subject jedi.
>> >
>> >You know full well I am talking about the desktop.
>>
>> IDC says that Linux is even gaining there.
>>
>> It will overtake Microsoft's token competitor before too long.
>
>not even a hardcore Linux geek can in his(always is) wildest dream think
>that Linux will take
>over from Windows on the desktop...C'MON!!!

        There was a time when the same could have been said of Linux
        in the server space, yet that came. There was a time when the
        same could have been said of Linux when it comes to 1st tier
        commercial games. Yet those came.

        History provides and excellent parallel in usability terms
        to the current situation: Microsoft in 1985,1990 or 1993.

[deletia]

--

  Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed
  to be doing at the moment.

  VMS version 2.0 ==>

  Someone is unenthusiastic about your work.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:24:30 GMT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:07:24 +1300, Gardiner Family
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>thats cool.  I was assuming you may have been a Windows only user who has never
>touched
>UNIX at all, however, I was wrong.  When comparing say, Linux with Solaris,
>scalability,
>Solaris wins, however, when it comes to hardware support, linux has the upper hand.

I can't say about salability, but as far as hardware support is
concerned, Aix is geared toward IBM hardware.
Linux most certainly wins the hardware support issue. It might support
more total pieces of hardware than Windows does (Win98 that is),
especially older, but still useful hardware.
>understand, from the average joe or jane bloggs stand point that a compiler is as
>useless as tits on a bull, however, I could see, in maybe 2 to 3 years time Linux may
>have the same or close to the credibility of ease of use of Windows, however, this
>will
>never happen until the Linux community realise that users do not give a toss about
>technical details, all they want is a OS that works (stable and reliable) and can go
>down to Dick Smiths Electronics and buy their favourite game.

With the kde and Gnome projects i think it will be less than 2 years,
but not without:
1. Childrens educational software.
2. Decent Office suite, not a Wine port like Office2k
    StarOffice is a slug, at least the last version I tried.
3 AOL, and this one is a biggie with the desktop home user.
And others.

 In some area's Linux has passed Windows in ease of use. Installation
is one, and I have always said that.
Installing Mandrake 7.1 is a breeze compared to the latest versions of
Windows for example.
Kde and Gnome are more or less as easy to use as the Windows desktop.
Configuring a dial up is a snap under either kde or Gnome, although
kppp's method of re-writing etc/hosts (I believe that is the file)
temporarily adding it's own stuff and then putting back the original
is a little hairy. Check the file when kppp is open and you will see
several temporary entries made.

What isn't easy under Linux is:

Internet connection sharing.
Firewall. Needed more than ever with cable/dsl modems.
Installing applications when dependencies are not met, especially when
you have a later version of something that is needed. It is confusing.

And finally, the applications base itself.

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: SE is simply unstable!!!
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:24:43 +1300

I am not really bothered if I have to pay for software.  I am also sick and tired
of the old argument, "Linux is free", argument, Linux, essential, is just the
kernel, nothing more, nothing less.  Joe bloggs does not care whether it is free
or not, joe bloggs just wants his computer to work without any hassles.

matt

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:15:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >     >> > >And H2O isn't the same thing as water.  > > Pretty much.
> >     >>
> >     >> Not even close.
> >
> >     Roberto> I should ask you why, but I will not.
> >
> > Ok, I hate to interrupt your discussion, but I just *have* to know
why
> > H2O is not water...
>
> Because ponds are not lakes. H2O is a water molecule while 'water'
even
> if completely pure, is the most complex substance known to humankind.
> H2O doesn't have a freezing point or boiling point, water does. H2O
does
> not expand when frozen (as it does not freeze) while water does. H2O
does
> not crystallize into a dozen different forms of ice, water does.

What a load of crap.

> H2O is thought of as "individuals" in a random collection. That's not
> what water is. The fact that 'individuals in a random collection' does
> not exist as far as any left-winger is concerned, is not very
relevant.

So, you are a left-winger?

> I'm just following a simple law of language evolution: if two
different
> words exist then they have two different meanings. I don't care that
one
> of those meanings is a figment of people's imagination; so is
'unicorn',
> 'individualism', 'free-market' and even 'free will'.

Or 'ageless' and 'immortal'? Because, you know, H2O is not a word.

--
Roberto Alsina

From: 2:1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:30:43 +0100

> > how well would it run on a P133/72Meg ?
> > Don't tell me how many people don't care about that, because that
> > happens to be my computer, so I care very much if it won't run well on
> > that.
>
> As the server or client? The Client is designed to run on Windows CE
> handheld devices. It would fly on a P133. It barely uses any
> resources on a modern PIII. It uses about 3.8KB of RAM.

The server.

> > Here's another reason. i'm on a PC running NT4 at the moment.
> > Fortunately for me, Exceed makes it look like I'm running on a Sun
> > Ultra10. Win 2K terminal server can't do that, since it doesn't run on
> > Suns.
>
> The point was, Win2K Terminal Services off more features, better network
> utilization (i.e. less network traffic)

Do you have any links to support this?

> , are faster, and run on any
> client with a web browser. Yes, it only connects to another Win2K box,
> but hey, if you want efficiency, you'd be using Win2K anyhow.

Win 2K would not run efficiently on my computer. It's a P133.
Besides, how would win2k be more efficient for my needs?

> If you
> want to connect to legacy boxes, then that's what eXceed or Reflection
> are for.

Are the latest offerings from the likes of IBM, SGI and Sun, to mention
a few, really legacy boxes?

-Ed

--
Konrad Zuse should  recognised. He built the first      | Edward Rosten
binary digital computer (Z1, with floating point) the   | Engineer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:32:33 -0000

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:01:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Stop playing semantics jedi.
>
>Next you'll be asking "and what IS Linux anyway?"

        When addressing "who" is "trying" what it is rather relevant.

        Just who do you percieve trying to represent Linux as being
        able to go toe to toe with a Starfire or VAX cluster?

        You are merely presenting a false opponent that you can more
        easily knock down rather than addressing how Linux has already
        been used in mission critical areas.

--

  Nasrudin walked into a teahouse and declaimed, "The moon is more useful
  than the sun."

  Under deadline pressure for the next week.  If you want something, it can wait.
  Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic...

  It is not every question that deserves an answer.
                -- Publilius Syrus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: 9 Oct 2000 21:26:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And if you'd like an example you may go to http://www.terraserver.com

Terraserver delivers data from a static database with no dependencies
between any queries. It might as well be serving from flat files.

Terraserver takes two heavy duty Alphaservers (no longer supported by
Microsoft, mind you) and 50 or so Compaq Proliants.

Meanwhile Walnut Creek CDROM, serving from flat files, managed to pump 50%
more data than Terraserver from a single dual-pentium server running FreeBSD.

I've been in contact with one of the sysadmins at Terraserver. Replacing the
whole farm with a couple of FreeBSD boxes has come up once or twice. He's
all in favor... the support costs would be way lower.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "Milloin halasit viimeksi suttasi?"

         Disclaimer: WWFD?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:35:58 -0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:07:24 +1300, Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[typical, Linux must do in the future what it's doing already]
>never happen until the Linux community realise that users do not give a toss about
>technical details, all they want is a OS that works (stable and reliable) and can go
>down to Dick Smiths Electronics and buy their favourite game.

        You mean like Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Descent III, Majesty,
        Anarchy Online, Black & White, SimCity 3000 Unlimited, Theocracy,
        Myth II, Heavy Gear II, Shogo Armour Division, Terminus, or
        Soldier of Fortune?

[deletia]

--

  Murphy's Law is recursive.  Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.

  Excellent time to become a missing person.

  Don't read any sky-writing for the next two weeks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:38:41 -0000

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:24:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:07:24 +1300, Gardiner Family
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>thats cool.  I was assuming you may have been a Windows only user who has never
>touched
>>UNIX at all, however, I was wrong.  When comparing say, Linux with Solaris,
>scalability,
>>Solaris wins, however, when it comes to hardware support, linux has the upper hand.
>
>I can't say about salability, but as far as hardware support is
>concerned, Aix is geared toward IBM hardware.
>Linux most certainly wins the hardware support issue. It might support
>more total pieces of hardware than Windows does (Win98 that is),
>especially older, but still useful hardware.

        ...supports little things like the PPC architecture too.

        Also, the creator of AIX seems to think Linux is worth something.
        They're one of the biggest members of the corporate Linux bandwagon
        at the moment.

[deletia]

--

  A straw vote only shows which way the hot air blows.
                -- O'Henry

  A little suffering is good for the soul.
                -- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0

  I respect the institution of marriage.  I have always thought that every
  woman should marry -- and no man.
                -- Benjamin Disraeli, "Lothair"