From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:25:29 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001
01:28:36 -0500;
>"Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> Microsoft says it's a quality issue, which is nonsense (what -
>> Microsoft, concerned with quality? <g>). A Register article a few
>> weeks ago asserted that MS's real reason is that USB doesn't offer a
>> content-control mechanism, and 1394 does.
>
>What BS.  Because you don't percieve that MS isn't concerned about quality,
>they can't possibly be really concerned about it?

Because there is no apparent reason to believe that MS is concerned
about quality, there is no apparent reason to believe that MS is
concerned about quality.  Do you have some reason we should believe
this?  Because MS wants to make money, maybe?  But we'd have to assume
that they didn't have a monopoly, then, since you don't need quality to
make money when you are a monopoly.

Perhaps if your theory didn't require TWO baseless assumptions, there
might be more reason to discuss it.

>MS will support USB 2 when motherboards and devices that support USB 2 are
>shipping.  They can't possibly test their systems with a USB 2.0 driver
>today because final systems will probably be different.

MS will support USB 2 whenever the hell MS wants to, and this has little
relationship to when MS's customers want them to.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:25:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:35:28 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:10:11 GMT
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> >and a totally unworkable system
>>
>> I will agree on this point, 100% pure capitalism (with no regulation)
>
>anarchic capitalism, yes.
>
>Libertarian capitalism, no.

Assuming "libertarian" meaning "minimal enforcement to ensure everyone's
rights" or some such, I'd have to agree.  But that's not lasseiz-faire,
as I understand it.  (Then again, lasseiz-faire may require a minimal
level of enforcement as well, just to ensure no one gets swindled outright.
I'd have to dig deep to check this, though.)

>> would lead to a very foul system indeed, as the top cats start
>> cutting sweetheart deals to shut out the lower echelons of society;
>> the lower echelons will in turn shut out even lower echelons, and
>> the poor will end up dead (pick your poison: air pollution, water
>
>Which is exactly what DOES happen in Communism.

Yes, that is correct, and we have proof.  Certain cities in the
Eastern part of Europe are blackened by decades of pollution.
(I've not seen proof firsthand, but I have seen pictures.)

I did not bring up this scenario to exclude communism; as far as
I am concerned, sans regulation, both will end up at the same
(bad) end.  (And I must ask the question: why the ruble?  In a
pure communistic system, a monetary unit appears unnecessary.)

Ideally, we wouldn't have to worry about it.  Of course, ideally,
we wouldn't have to worry about eating, drinking, defecating,
moving from point A to point B, the high cost of energy used during
flying [*], etc.

>> pollution, ground soil pollution, radioactivity, drive-by shootings
>> by caring individuals using Tommy guns, ... :-) ).  Ultimately, one
>> will get a set of communes, each one a separate business, cartel, or trust.
>>
>> This is not to say communism is better; it leads to its own problems.
>> The ideal system is a mix.  A gasoline engine (standard 4-stroke,
>> 2-stroke, jet turbine, whatever) cannot run on pure fuel or pure air;
>> the trick is to adjust the mix in the combustion chamber for
>> optimum throughput.
>>
>> Similarly with economies.  The trick is to get the mix right.
>> (It's actually a lot more complicated than that, with issues such
>> as overshoot and ringing being thrown into the mix -- an overreactive
>> regulatory system can "flood the engine", or lead into an oscillatory
>> motion of the economy as the gain of the "amplifier" is too high,
>> depending on which metaphor one desires. :-)  I am of the opinion
>> that the Fed needs to be more reactive and more precise, although
>> I'm not sure how the Fed can accomplish same without a lot more
>> economic data, reported more frequently that it is now.)

[.sigsnip]

[*] I'm referring to bird flight here.  Birds have light air-filled bones
    and heavier musculature in their torsos than we do.  We are
    still discovering some of their secrets (one interesting one is
    the creation of vortices by the flapping wing of a bird or moth,
    increasing the lift.

                    We are all naked underneath our clothes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: NT kiddies, don't try this at home
Date: 12 Apr 2001 18:27:05 GMT

Dave Martel posted:
><http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/18265.html>
>Missing Novell server discovered after four years
>
>"...the University of North Carolina has finally located one of
>its most reliable servers - which nobody had seen for FOUR
>years...One of the University's Novell servers had been doing
>the business for years and nobody stopped to wonder where it was
>until some bright spark realised an audit of the Campus network
>was well overdue...Attempts to follow network cabling to find
>the missing box led to the discovery that maintenance workers
>had sealed the server behind a wall."

We ran a Novell server that sat on the floor under the desk with
the printer on it for 10 years. We finally retired it in 2000.
(Configuring Win3.1 clients to interface with both a Novell and
TCP/IP network interface was horrible, but we did it, because the
program we had would not work right on WinNT since it relied on
sanity checks in Novell to prevent multiple updates.) For the
last five years it ran while nobody working at the school knew
what the passwords were. Luckily, it never needed any
maintenance.

>Can you imagine an NT server running totally unattended for four
>years?

Ummm... No. The WinNT server that was purchased (in 1995) to
replace it, but never did completely, was replaced the year before
the Novell server was finally shut down. Sniff.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*** A wandering space traveler repaid your hospitality by

------------------------------

From: Kurt Lochner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:16:46 -0500

Fraud Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> again twisted the meaning of:

> silverback wrote:
> >
> >Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > silverback wrote:
>
> <etc,... snip>

> > >So, then, you agree that it's bad to let the Sierra Club and similar
> > >groups write environmental law, and that it's a bad idea to let
> > >those with a vested interest in the welfare bureacracy to write
> > >welfare laws.
> >
> > nope, the Sierra club is hardly a corporation buttfuck.
>
> From http://outingleaders.sierraclub.org:8082/Common/ins_manual/index.asp;
>
> [...]
>
>   The Sierra Club, which includes the chapters, groups, and sections,
>   is considered one corporation under California corporation law.

<sigh> I let the disengneuous fraud out of my kill-file, and he's
still trying to misrepresent even the simplest of concepts as some
kind of defense for his intentional ignorance..

--What part of "not-for-profit" do you not yet comprehend, Fraud?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:23:41 -0400

sliverdick wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:35:37 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >sliverdick wrote:

> >> and yer wrong again fuckhead

> >> sorry progressive taxation is not redistribution
> >
> >So you would have no problem with your grocer charging you more
> >for a pound of ground beef every time you get a raise.
> >

> sorry fuckhead beef purchases is not taxation.

But, according to you totalitarian-collectivists, my tax money is used to
purchase "governance".  Why should those who are most productive, and
not causing problems, pay more for government, most of which is for
the benefit of those who are lazy, unproductive, and troublemakers.

Oh...yes, I forgot...becuase the thought of not getting your
welfare check and having to work for once in your life scares
the shit out of you...doesn't it sliverdick monkey-boy, PARASITE

>                                                 Anyone making over 500K
> needs to be taxed at 95% with zero deductions.

Translation: Sliverdick monkeyboy knows, deep inside, that he is
utterly incapable of EVER doing anything that would convince someon
to pay him even $100K/year

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:32:13 -0400

Jerry Coffin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > JUDGE JACKSON HIMSELF said that they were lying, you ignorant sack of shit.
>
> Yes, and the appeals court has made it clear that if it was in their
> power, they'd get Judge Jackson removed immediately.  They openly
> stated that his comments were grossly inappropriate at best; they
> made it clear that his judgement was poor (a serious accusation when
> his entire job of a judge is to show, well, good judgement) and
> probably bordered on being a crime in and of itself.
>
> In short, Judge Jackson's comments prove a lot more about Judge
> Jackson himself than they ever have or will about Microsoft.

Did the appeals court disagree with Jackson's conclusion that
Microsoft's officers are perjurors:

A) yes
B) NO

...or did the appeals court disagree with Jackson's willingness
to mention his to the press
A)no
B) YES

No more questions, yerhonor.

> --
>     Later,
>     Jerry.
>
> The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: 12 Apr 2001 18:26:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jerry Coffin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In short, Judge Jackson's comments prove a lot more about Judge
> Jackson himself than they ever have or will about Microsoft.

Yes, he should have just found Microsoft's counsel guilty of contempt
of court months earlier.

I suspect if it was anyone but Microsoft he would have.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:33:34 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:06:43 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Karel Jansens wrote:

> >> I can only follow part of this thread (Aaron Kulkis is in my killfile),
> >> but I have to ask anyway: What could _possibly_ be the point of
> >> maskerading a newsreader to make it pretend it is another newsreader??
> >
> >Keeps me from being targeted by virus freaks.
> >

> You can't name one way it actually accomplishes this.

It keeps certain malignant personalities who hate me from knowing
what I'm using.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:35:43 -0400

Mathew wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> > *sunbird* wrote:

> > > does it hurt being so stupid?
> > >

> > No brain, no pain.
>
> You sound like a Marine now!

I'll take that as a complement, even if it is from a pimply-faced,
cowardly weakling such as yourself.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: NO FTAA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:44:04 GMT

    Since everyone else in the entire programming universe as jumped in
on this except for me, I decided I had better jump in and ask a
question: where do you get
EditPlus? at Tucows? ZDNet? or just query on any search engine? I'll try
all of those suggestions now.
    Thank you,
              Will Stewart