From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:11:31 -0000

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:54:09 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:30:05 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >That comparison makes no sense.
>> >
>> >GNOME uses Linux or some other Unix, that have been around for years.
>>
>>  However, the various GUI's haven't.
>
>Well, windows is its own OS, so this is a muddy area. If you just
>intend to compare GUIs, then you must compare to only the GUI.
>
>Then you could say that Windows (the GUI) in its current incarnation
>exists since about 1995. Windows 3.x was too different to consider it
>the same thing. Or you'd have to say that the linux GUIs date back to
>twm.

        The 'versions' may have changed, however the company
        remained the same. To be comparable, Miguel would have
        had to have been the driving force behind twm or CDE.

        Infact, someone else was.

[deletia]

        Besides, without an open code review it's hard to say just
        how much older cruft is still lingering in Win32.

        Besides, even Win32 is just an update to Win16 to fix
        initial design issues. It's still just a version of
        Windows 3.x.

--

        Ease of use should be associated with things like "human engineering"
        and "use the right tool for the right job".  And of course,

                                Bobby Bryant - COLA
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:12:21 GMT

"." wrote:

> NFS.  All of about 5 minutes to set up.
>
> The horrors, you have to edit a couple of config files and restart a daemon
> or three.

And that's if you do it the hard way, e.g.

vi /etc/exports
vi /etc/hosts.allow
exportfs -a

There are graphical interfaces for this type of thing, e.g.

webmin
linuxconf
control-panel

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:21:00 GMT

Donn Miller wrote:

> Kyle Jacobs wrote:
>
> > It also just plain takes FOREVER to redraw these windows whenever I move
> > them around during a high-CPU operation.
>
> Depends on what you're running.  Window Maker is pretty fast, and it's
> frugal WRT memory usage.  Plus, it looks pretty decent, too.

I looked at window maker and a number of other wms -

Out of all of them, blackbox and icewm are smallest and fastest.

I fire up blackbox when I just want to check my mail or play
a quick game of quake 3 arena, since blackbox starts up in
about 1/3 second, and does the basics very well.

For all day work, I go with helix gnome, or kde2...

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What really burns the Winvocates here...
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:35:04 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> OK, fine, I'll stop complaining, if all the Linux advocates stop telling
> me Linux is better than Windows, Linux is great etc.

What do you expect when you barge into a Linux advocacy
forum and say "linux sucks" - of course people are going to
counter that it doesn't, since if it sucked, they'd obviously be
using something else.

> I'll disparage ANY effort that I find to be inferior compared to a
> product that it claims to be better than.

Linux doesn't "claim" anything, it simply is.

> As I said, earlier I'll stop complaining. As soon as you guys stop
> telling me Linux is so much better than Windows.

In the server market, there's no doubt whatsoever that Linux
is better than wiindows - will you concede that?

OTOH the desktop is a complicated subject, and it all boils
down to personal taste. One man's paradise is another man's
purgatory -

For instance, Todd looks at the windows 2000 desktop and
just flips out, says it's the greatest thing since sliced bread,
and why the hell aren't we all crazy about it?

OTOH I look at the windows 2000 desktop and shrug, say it's
OK I guess, but I prefer Linux for several reasons.

Pete looks at the Linux desktop and complains that it's not
identical to windows and he isn't sure how to do things that
he does in windows

I say that's a good thing - if I wanted to run windows I'd be
running windows. I know what buttons to click on a Linux
desktop, and it's not a problem.

How can you argue with personal taste?

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Server Saga
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:33:37 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Aaron Ginn wrote:
>
> > Your sole purpose here is to inflame and troll.
>
> My sole purpose here is to counter Linux advocacy.

For what purpose?

If you like strawberry ice cream, does the existance of chocolate
ice cream threaten you?  does the fact that other people PREFER
chocolate ice cream threaten you so much that you have to go around
claiming that chocolate is poisonous?

How about trying this, Pete.

        Sit down, and SHUT THE FUCK UP.

> --
> Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:40:02 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Tom Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > in article aRO%5.20459$[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > How do those make a power switch intuitive?

> > Put it this way, Microsoft doesn't make light switches.
> > That's why they are intuitive.
> > You don't have to log on and type in your password to
> > push the switch,
> > you don't have to hook up to Windows Update to make it
> > so the light switch doesn't exlode.
> > You don't have to pay $80 every year to make sure you
> > have the latest software running on it, and HERE's a
> > suprise: backward compatibility.
> > Just imagine, you walk in to an electrical shop:
> > "Yes, you have the 1994 model running Windows 95, you need to make sure you
> > put Windows 98 on it, or otherwise you'll have to buy this $150 adaptor to
> > make sure that it will work with modern lightbulbs. Oh, and when you do
> > update your lightbulb make sure you download the patch for it from
> > suckass.microsoft.com!"
> > Almost makes you wonder, why doesn't Linus Torvalds and Steve Jobs get
> > together and make a lightbulb manufacturing company?
>
> Thank god Linus or the original designers didn't invent the light switch.
>
> If they did, all we'd have is four wires sticking out of the wall and
> a warning sticker that said, "WARNING: the amperage of the electrical
> current flowing through the copper wire is sufficient to cause tissue
> damage and possible cardio-pulimnary failure resulting in possible
> life loss".
>
> It doesn't actually tell you that if you grab the wires, you die. Kinda
> like all Unix/Linux error messages.
>
> It also doesn't tell you which two of the four wires are necessary
> to turn on the light. By the way, if you get it wrong and cross the wrong
> two wires, you'll blow the circuit and have to replace the fuse which is
> hidden inside the wall and requires knocking out part of the wall to
> reach.

Conversely, with M$ LoseDOS, you get ABSOLUTELY NO FREAKING INFORMATION,
just a little window that pops up:

        |       You have been electrocuted.     |
        |               Continue?               |
        |       +-------+       +------+        |
        |       |  Yes  |       |  No  |        |
        |       +-------+       +------+        |

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS-X GUI on Linux?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:42:03 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 04:34:39 GMT, Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > [deletia]
> > >smaller,
> > >major

> > >I'm looking at performance and stability issues for the most part. Most
> >
> > ...except X isn't the part of the system that tends to bog
> > down and bloat. It's various things built on top, and it's
> > not even even all of them (of a particular type).
>
> It's complex layer upon complex layer. It's fast becoming a house of cards.

No, it's SIMPLE AND RELIABLE LAYER upon SIMPLE AND RELIABLE LAYER...

And it's rock-solid.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:43:36 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >>         Is that an installation option? Is 2.4 the default? Is there
> >>         any warning given when you attempt to install it? Is it just
> >>         an rpm you can use?
> >
> >Don't know...I didn't buy SuSE 7.0...it's just listed on the box as having
> >both 2.2.13 or 2.2.14 and 2.4.test-whatever...
> >
> >I'm waiting for suse to put out a 2.4.actual_release_number distro.
> >

> For instance they have the test kernel sources on Debian so you
> can roll your own if you want to.

Same as SuSE.  I'll just wait a couple months for a final kernel on CD.

> >> --
> >>
> >>   >
> >>   > ...then there's that NSA version of Linux...
> >>
> >>   This would explain the Mars polar lander problem.
> >>
> >>                                         Kyle Jacobs, COLA

> >>                                                                / | \
> >

> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux won't get far in Luxembourg's comapanies.
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:48:10 -0500

Bartek Kostrzewa wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> > Bartek Kostrzewa wrote:
> >
> >> [deltia]

> >> But what for?! They don't need that kind of machine! That's the whole point
> >> I wanted to make, you have to buy too much, so you don't have to put so much
> >> money into the state's pockets, and I find this tax system ridiculous, the
> >> more money you have to invest, the less taxes you pay... rich people get
> >> richer, and poor people have to pay (relatively) very high amounts in taxes.
> >

> > Then vote new people into the legislature.

> >> have

> >> "extra"

> >> just like I said... what the heck for?
> >>

> > You can't see the advantage of RAID?
>
> Not in this case, the extra speed of mode 0 isn't needed, and mirroring
> isn't needed also because the server is tape backup'ed every day. It

So...if a disk drive dies at 3:00PM, and 6 hours of business transactions
are lost....that's not a problem?

I can guarantee that even ONE incident of this sort occurs, it will
cost more to recover than the price of the disk drive that the data
is stored on.

RAID for the OS and app executables aren't important....but for your
DATA....hell, yes, it is.

> isn't crucial for the company to have it up 99% of the time, so the
> quick recovery of mirrored raid are not worth the money... heck, if I
> think about it, why do they need the server anyway? Every workstation's
> document directories are on double JAZ disks (two JAZ disks with the
> same content), so backup can't be the reason, files can be shared from
> station to station...
>
> hell...

> --
> Best regards,
> Bartek Kostrzewa - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <<< http://technoage.web.lu >>>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:51:13 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Way to insult someone who's actually on your side.

Dear Kyle...

Unlike petty-minded vermin like you...I don't let fallacies go by
uncommented up if they are from "my side".

INTELLECTUAL HONESTY requires correcting errors from your friends
as well as your enemies.

Now....don't you have a 7th-grad pre-algebra class to go to....

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > ono wrote:
> > >
> > > And what's the difference between 'not statically' linked libraries and
> > > dll's?
> >
> > If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.
> >

> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> the
> with
> tried
> > > to do

> (but
> > > NEVER

> against

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.