From: Daniel Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows+Linux+MacOS = BeOS
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:57:43 GMT

> >It's meant as a demo.  You can't really do much with the
>
>       IOW: it's a big fat ad.

Yeah, so?  This newsgroup is a big fat ad for Linux.  So what?

>       As such, it reflects upon the full version. If this
>       "well, it's really just a demo" version is percieved
>       as a piece of shit than it will certainly reflect
>       badly on Be and "real BeOS".

Isn't it convenient that when a company like RedHat or Corel puts out a
crappy version of Linux, it doesn't reflect on Linux, but if Be makes a
mistake, the OS must suck?  I guess one of the perks of an open source
OS is no accountability.

As for SMP support in Windows NT (mentioned somewhere else in this now
huge thread), BeOS will use 100% of the first 8 processors (at least),
whereas NT only uses 80% of any processor after the first, up to a
maximum of 4.  Don't know about Windows 2000.

From: "D. Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:17:45 -0500

Microsoft?  Linux?  Tcl? Notepad?!?!  What the hell does any of this have to
do with Netware?!?!?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:17:47 -0400

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:0iRG5.9639$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Not to mention that MS got their foot
> > into the business by offering the lowest price on an OS. The few other
OS
> > companies all decided the best route would be gouging. MS offered a very
> low
> > cost OS, they won due to competitor stupidity. Get over it.
>
> Perhaps you slept through the lengthy court process that disclosed the
> truth,
> which differs from your account...

Are you denying that the IBM personal computers were offered with PC-DOS,
CP/M-86 and the UCSD p-System, operating systems?

If any of these others had been accepted as the standard on which to write
applications you'd be whining about that company.

The lengthy court process you speak of was niether lengthy, nor a legal
process, it was unbeleivably short at the same time expanded well beyond the
scope of the original complaint, due to the fact that it was obvious the DOJ
was getting nowhere fast on the original complaint. Many parts of your
coveted legal process are about to be found to be an "illegal process".

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:37:11 GMT

In article <8shiq2$3fc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>If these products were equal, (for the sake of argument) would Sun have to
>give it away?

There's absolutely no point in releasing a new office suite and charging for
it. MS already has a virtual monopoly with Office, so the best thing is to
release it free and open source and take advantage of all the benefits that
offers.

>You have no problem reading MS office files? There must not be *much in*
>those office files, huh?
>Excel provides 100's of functions, and the entire via language, which many
>experienced spreadsheet designers use. SO supports this?
>
>Word's tables, revision features, html formatting, comments, and many other
>things...SO supports these?
>
>Access with either DAO or ADO, forget it....
>
>PowerPoint? again, forget it.

The same problems occur when trying to read prior Office documents in a new
version. You'd think Microsoft at least would be able to keep their own
formats consistant. Try and do anything fancy in Office documents leave you
screwed as far as both forwards and backwards compatibility goes, not a great
state of affairs.

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:28:07 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 06:10:50 GMT, Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >Darin Johnson wrote:

> >> Well, if US law was based on majority rule, you might have a point.
> >
> >It is.  This is a democracy.  Read the Constitution.
>
> No, it's a republic: improve your reading skills.

How does this change his original point that the majority rule?

(i.e. majority vote for an electee which then carries out, for the most
part, the will of his/her constituents)

-Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:50:11 GMT

In article <8shic4$g5c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Daniel Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >It's meant as a demo.  You can't really do much with the
>>
>>       IOW: it's a big fat ad.
>
>Yeah, so?  This newsgroup is a big fat ad for Linux.  So what?

What do you expect, this is comp.os.linux.advocacy?

>>       As such, it reflects upon the full version. If this
>>       "well, it's really just a demo" version is percieved
>>       as a piece of shit than it will certainly reflect
>>       badly on Be and "real BeOS".
>
>Isn't it convenient that when a company like RedHat or Corel puts out a
>crappy version of Linux, it doesn't reflect on Linux, but if Be makes a
>mistake, the OS must suck?  I guess one of the perks of an open source
>OS is no accountability.

RedHat and Corel are just distributions of Linux. So it's a completely
different kettle of fish. If Red Hat or Corel put out a crappy distribution,
you can easily pick another distribution of the same OS that isn't. So it's
pretty easy to see that one particular distribution isn't representative of
the OS.

If Red Hat were the only source of Linux, and they put out a poor
distribution, then you could easily people blaming the OS. Fortunately that
isn't the case. It's the same where any particular OS vendor is the sole
source of updates/new versions of a particular OS.

ian.

 \ /

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Astroturfing
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:36:02 GMT

"Ian Davey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >> When I said use your brain, I meant use it, not repeat the same stuff in
> >> detail. There is probably something very badly wrong with your
> >> installation. C corrupted filesystem or a bad harddisk or something.
> >> There are kernel options to allow Linux to see more memory.
> >> Try mem=256M or something like it.
> >
> >That's the point, my objective isn't to hack the kernel, it is to insert a
> >disk, hover over the return key for a few minutes and have the thing work in
>
> You don't need to hack the kernel, there's a point in the Mandrake 7.1 install
> where you get to enter how much memory you have. All you do is amend the
> 64MB value in the text box and change it to 256MB. Not rocket science.

But be careful!

If you install on an box with an Intel 810 chipset, it's usually 1 less
than the MB you have installed. 128? No... 127. 256? No... 255 or 254
Otherwise? Kernel panic! There's quality software for you.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Subject: Re: Media Player in Linux?
Date: 17 Oct 2000 15:53:02 +0100

Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>That leaves a large number of files unsupported: AVI with I263, IMC,
>MP34; ASF; WMV. And note that the support of AVI with INDEO (3,4,5)
>relies on codecs that are distributed *in binary*.

http://xmps.sourceforge.net/

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] · http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal95son/ · [ ICQ# 17519554 ]

main(w,x,a)char*a;{return 1<w?0x7d==*a||main(w,main(-1,*a,"%s/[a,@"
".o]+^\\ _@|(/)~U\n."),1+a):0<w?main(3,w,"+%a@s////s%a@+s[o@s^^s%o"
"[+@/,s%/s@s./%+sss%//]/@++}"):x==*a?putchar(12[a]):main(w,x,a+1);}

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:45:08 GMT

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8gDG5.9526$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3buG5.6100$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8amG5.9426$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > <SNIP: other claiming Win2K is great>
> >
> > > If it were true that win2k integrated with standards you would not
> > > have any problems using it as a client to standard LDAP
> >
> > Please cite specific, documented examples. Until then, I'll consider
> > this an unknowledgable contrived statement.
>
> Is there a way to grep the w2k help file for all instances of
> 'Active Directory'.  Just about every new feature I tried to
> use claimed to need it when I tried to follow the help file
> instructions.  Perhaps they are wrong.  For example, I wanted
> to use a win2k box to do scheduled file replication from a share
> not on win2k to a different (remote) win2k box.  The help file
> says I need an Active Directory in the picture to do this.  Is it
> wrong?

You don't _NEED_ it. You have to have permissions on both boxes.

> > > and kerberos servers and you would lose no functionality compared
> > > to having to run an active directory server.
> >
> > What functionality would you lose? Specifically?
> >
> > Here they are:
> > a.) Group policy
> > b.) Down-level NT authentication tokens
> > c.) Group Membership
> >
> > Of these, which other OS or Kerberos server supports? You can use
> > Win2K as a client to any other Kerberos server, but you can't take
> > advantage of these features. Why not? Because they're Win2k -> Win2K
> > specific. This would not benefit anyone in a Unix <-> Win2K situation,
> > so your point is irrelevant.
> >
> > By the way, Win2K's implementation of Kerberos krbv5 is fully compliant.
> > Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
>
> So, what is your recommended approach when you have a win2k domain
> as a subset of a Kerberos domain?   Note that I really don't want to hear
> that the win2k boxes will refuse to use a standard Kerberos server for
> authentication while exchanging their own extra proprietary data among
> themselves, or that the only possible way to do it is to pay for MS-client
> licenses for all of your standard boxes so you can put everything in AD.

Group policy, down-level NT authentication tokens, Group membership, etc
are only useful on an ADS domain. Win2K clients will work happily with
any krbv5 compliant Kerberos domain server, but they can't take advantage
of these special features. In Unix land, group membership wouldn't get you
very far, Group policy wouldn't be implemented, and down-level NT authentication
wouldn't matter much because NT 4.0 doesn't support kerberos. I do
believe there are 3rd party implementations of it, however.

I'm still not clear as to what you're losing. If you want the advanced features
of Win2K, you have to get Win2K. If you want to be standard compliant, then
you have to be standard compliant. I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

I can't get some advanced features of NetWare running Win2K, Unix or any
other platform, I don't see you screaming about that.

> > > I don't think that is true at all.   In fact I think it is like most
> > > other Microsoft products that claim standards compliance yet really
> > > refuse to interoperate with other vendors' products.
> >
> > More contrived statments.
>
> Have you ever actually used MS telnet, ftp, frontpage, J++ (just for a
> start) with any other vendors' products?   They are broken in ways
> that can't possibly be accidental.

How so?

I've never had problems with telnet or ftp working with anything.
The Win9x/NT4 telnet app only supports VT100, it's a basic command-line
telnet. The Win2K telnet supports just about everything the basic telnet
client on most major Unixes supports (ANSI color, etc).

Frontpage is a crappy piece of software, MS should've never bought it,
but many people use it and use it successfully and it's a very popular
product, so complaining about it doesn't do any good.

How is J++ broken? I've written J++ apps with J/Direct turned off and
ran them successfully on Unix before.

Please ellaborate.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:49:18 GMT

"Ben Bos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:00:15 GMT, Chad Myers
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:8amG5.9426$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> ><SNIP: other claiming Win2K is great>
> >
> >> If it were true that win2k integrated with standards you would not
> >> have any problems using it as a client to standard LDAP
> >
> >Please cite specific, documented examples. Until then, I'll consider
> >this an unknowledgable contrived statement.
> >
> >> and kerberos servers and you would lose no functionality compared
> >> to having to run an active directory server.
> >
> >What functionality would you lose? Specifically?
> >
> >Here they are:
> >a.) Group policy
> >b.) Down-level NT authentication tokens
> >c.) Group Membership
> >
> >Of these, which other OS or Kerberos server supports? You can use
>
> Novell's NDS and any X.500 directory (under which LDAP).  And still, your
> listing is _really_ limited.

NDS supports Win2K Group policy? That's news to me. Perhaps you should go
back and check your facts.

> >Win2K as a client to any other Kerberos server, but you can't take
> >advantage of these features. Why not? Because they're Win2k -> Win2K
> >specific. This would not benefit anyone in a Unix <-> Win2K situation,
> >so your point is irrelevant.
> >
> >By the way, Win2K's implementation of Kerberos krbv5 is fully compliant.
> >Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
> >
> >> I don't think that is true at all.   In fact I think it is like most
> >> other Microsoft products that claim standards compliance yet really
> >> refuse to interoperate with other vendors' products.
> >
> >More contrived statments.
> >

> >-Chad
> >

> Anyway, I have not seen Win2K live yet.  I hear that Active Directory
> disappoints.

I don't know where you heard that from. ADS is being rapidly adopted and
rivels NDS in installation numbers. Many Fortune 2000 companies have
already adopted it and are at the last stages of phasing out NT 4.0 or
NT 3.51 in favor of ADS and Win2K.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:27:18 GMT

mlw wrote:
>jazz wrote:
>>
>> I really need a powerful word processor with templates, styles, etc.
>>
>> What is available for Linux? How about for Powerpoint and Excel?
>>
>> Thanks ---
>> Jazz
>
>You can download Star Office. I used to use Applix, but I got their last
>version and it wasn't as good as their previous version. SO 5.2, OTOH is
>as good as MS office in that it doesn't crash like MS office, and it
>does not take down the OS like MS office.

That is not a fault of the applikation, but of the OS, if an application can
take down the OS. So you can't praise SO for not crashing the OS.

SO is bloated and huge and unles you have a fast machine, it takes minutes
(literally - minutes!) to start up.

I use abiword for word-processing
I use gnumeric for spreadsheets
I would use something else for presentations (no experience in this field)

Cheers,
-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Please add smileys where appropriate.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:39:53 GMT

In article <5sOG5.2817$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matt Garman wrote:

>> >Latex is fine. But try to give this to an experienced user of Word and it's
>> >not going to happen in this life time.
>>
>> Learning to use LaTeX is certainly no more difficult than learning to use
>> Word.  Provided with a set of LaTeX templates, I've seen people with no
>> typesetting or programming experience whatsoever producing within a day
>
>I agree with you completely.
>
>But why is it that the majority of the corporate world uses Word?  Is that
>all marketing in action?

They use it because everybody else uses it.  It's a
self-perpetuating monopoly.  They've never tried anything else
and are too lazy/ignorant to try.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  LBJ, LBJ, how many
                                  at               JOKES did you tell today??!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:29:14 +0200

It was the 16 Oct 2000 17:15:08 -0400...
...and Roberto Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     Jan> The most portable document format is PDF (Portable Document
>     Jan> FOrmat - D'uh). RTF is not half as portable.
>
> Not to start a document format war, but isn't PDF a proprietary
> format? What about PS? I don't know if PS is proprietary, but it sure
> is *very* portable

PS is not really a good document format as it's usually the
second-to-last step before printing; if you want to hand a document to
someone for further *editing*, PostScript is not the choice you want
to make.

mawa
--
Actually, the fun thing about playing the piano is that you can walk
around in town with a Henle Urtext score, showing off, and feeling

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:34:15 +0200

It was the 16 Oct 2000 14:29:50 GMT...
...and Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : All I'm saying is that I'm sure that with a little bit of practice you
> : will find yourself to be working much more efficiently using LaTeX than
> : using word - you don't have to worry about what they document looks like
> : while you're writing it.
> : No more "highligth this, choose style, don't like it, choose another
> : style, hit return 5 times, hit spacce 20 times, change font size
> : blahblahblah".
>
> Combine LaTeX with makefiles and CVS for even more productivity
> goodness.  Edit away for hours on end, do a commit and have
> your editor do an update - instant collaboration and revision
> control.  I don't understand why people settle for so much less
> by writing for looks instead of meaning...*shrug*

I wish we had a decent GUIfied authoring / workgroup management system
wrapped around such a core, plus some GUI front end to do real desktop
publishing with LaTeX.

Have you ever tried to typeset an 80-page magazine with MS Publisher?
I have, twice. It's even harder when you need to cooperate -- not even
a CVS server would help you there, as a Publisher file is one huge
chunk of binary data.

Why doesn't modern productivity software store their documents as a
directory tree of plain-text files (such as XML) and binary objects
only where necessary? Why does Publisher need to rewrite 150 megs of
data when I changed only a single letter in the magazine? Why is
everything so synchronous (i.e. when I browse to a page and Publisher
loads it, I need to wait for it to load, I can't interrupt it and go
to another one before all the megabytes of images have been rendered)?

I could go on for hours. I suppose all these deficiencies hold true
for most, if not all, modern DTP packages.

It's time for someone to write *the* definitive free DTP program. If
no one else will do it, I will. The problem is that it will probably
take as long to develop as TeX did, which means I'm going to have to
be a tenured professor before I can take the first stab at it ;)

mawa

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:28:09 +0200

It was the Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:36:06 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[MS Word]
> It might make a decent report generator, though, if you don't really
> care what the thing looks like...

Off-topic, yet interesting: Does anyone of you know which back end
amazon.com use to print their invoices and such? They must have got
one hell of a report generator there, and the output looks great.

Lots of big-arse organisations (Deutsche Bahn, HP, Siemens, whichever
institution handles patents in Britain, etc.) use (La)TeX as a back
end for report generation and such; maybe Amazon do, too?

Or perhaps I'm entirely mistaken and they've got some roll-your-own
thingy that renders directly to PostScript ;)

mawa
--
But when she was with Chacko, old limits were pushed back. Horizons
expanded. She had never before met a man who spoke of the world [...]