From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:45:24 -0300

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:10:46 -0300, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Peter Hayes wrote:

>> > <...>

>> > Not so.
>> >
>> > StarOffice 5.2 has its own drivers, or offers "system" drivers, I'm not
>> > sure which, but I suspect it has its own because a driver for my Epson
>> > Stylus Color doesn't appear on its list. In any event, the StarOffice
>> > test page just form feeds the paper, but prints nothing, so that's one
>> > Linux product that's useless for me... not surprising, I guess, if it
>> > doesn't have a driver for my printer and fails to route print data via
>> > CUPS.
>>
>> StarOffice's "generic printer" driver simply generates postscript and
>> feeds it to the printing command. The printing command is configurable
>> using StarOffice's printer configuration tool, usually in Linux it should
>> be "lpr", as long as you have only one printer.
>
> That "prints" a blank page. No text, no ascii garbage, no PostScript, just
> a form-feed.
>
>> > LyX  looks nice, but it also merely exercises the form feed motor.
>> > Looking at the documentation, it has a massively convoluted system for
>> > printing, which keeps the processor working flat out for several
>> > minutes, but all it produces is a blank page.
>> >
>> > Are these Linux Oopsies, Mandrake Oopsies, StarOffice and LyX Oopsies,
>> > or my Oopsies????????
>>
>> Your Oopsies. You have not configured the system-wide driver to which
>> most other programs just feed postscript.
>
> Sorry, but that is just WRONG.
>
> I configured the system-wide driver via CUPS as per the utility supplied
> with Mandrake 7.2 and as I've said above it works fine with Kword, AbiWord
> and various small text editors like gedit. I can't do more than that.
>
> Yet SO, LyX and sundry others don't work. How is it suddenly my fault when
> others work???

What can I say? I know how SO prints. I don't know what is specifically
fucked up in your system, though. take it to Mandrake support.

If you are using CUPS, then the printer command in SO should be lp instead
of lpr, too.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The merits of the BSD license.
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:47:46 -0600

"Ian Pulsford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> There has been some discussion about the GPL lately, I'd like to bring
> up a little discussion about the BSDL.
>
> The BSD license is a permissive license that basically allows you to do
> whatever you want with the software.  This is the guts of it:
>
> 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

Yes.

> 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Not anymore.  This was removed about 2 years ago.

> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>    must display the following acknowledgement:

Not anymore either.

> This product includes software developed by the University of
> California, Berkeley and its contributors.
> 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
>    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
>    without specific prior written permission.

Yes.

> Rather simpler than the GPL!  I've been scouring the net recently on
> this subject and it appears that there are some misconceptions about the
> BSD license.
>
> 1) This is probably the main one: "Some rich company can steal BSD code
> and make money out of it".
> - Were you expecting to make money out of your GPL code?

I don't think that's their point.

> - Why would you release code under the BSD license if you wanted to
> necessarily prevent others from making money from it?

That is their point, they wouldn't.

> - Why would you release code under the BSD license if you were intending
> to make money from it yourself?  (See next!)

Well, many reasons actually.  For instance, you might release the code to
interface to you your proprietary code as BSDL.

> - With the BSD license you can use make a binary and NOT release code,
> if you so desire, and make money yourself!  You can release the code at
> any time you please.

Indeed.

> - You cannot "steal" that which is freely given.  BSD licensed code is
> for all to use without restriction.

Something GPL, and anti-MS people seem to forget.

> - Some poor startup company can use BSD source.  What about the
> thousands of struggling potential M$ competitors?  Wouldn't it be nice
> if they had access to some code they could use in the commercial field
> to produce quality software in a form (ie. binary) they didn't need to
> expose to their competitors?  After the company has "made it" they can
> contribute back if they wish.

A good point.  If you really don't like MS, then you should contribute code
that will help to overthrow them.  GPL isn't likely to do that since
commercial competitors won't generally want to use GPL'd code.

> - Companies that have used BSD code do contribute back.  Apple is
> back-porting its own contributions.  BSDi is giving the FreeBSD kernel
> SMP code as good or better than the Linux kernel's.

It's a license of faith.  By giving good will, many people will appreciate
that and return the favor.  This is much healthier than a forced return.

> 2) "The GPL keeps source free".
> - Many other freer licenses do too.  BSDL, Apache, X11, Python, Perl,
> Mozilla, php all have open source licenses of their own, are free, and
> aren't disappearing and becoming non-free.
> - Code freely available is not going to suddenly disappear if someone
> spawns a proprietary modification.

Exactly.

> - The GPL often extends and embraces freer software into itself.  Not
> content with keeping only derived work under its own license, the GPL
> attempts to relicense work under "compatible" licenses under the GPL.
> You thought it would be greedy to take BSD code and make a proprietary
> derivative, I consider it rude that the GPL attempts to take other
> open-source licensed code as its own too.

Hmm.. interesting angle, I hadn't thought of this one.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Do Windows developers settle?
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:51:11 -0600

"Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > If I were doing socket programming, i'd prefer Unix, since it's a little
> > more straight forward, however GUI programming is much easier and
straight
> > forward on Windows than X.
>
> It depends on what you're doing and on what toolkits you are using.  IMO
> the biggest advantages that all the Unixes have over Windows lie in the
> area of communication channels (Unix has a single unified API) and process
> control and IPC (where Windows manages to suck more than a lifetime in
> downtown Milwaukee...)

While Unix does have a unified API in theory, in practice you need to go
outside of that API for many significant applications.  Try creating a sound
editing application with only the unified API (or Posix for that matter).

In addition, there are older API's, System V API's, BSD API's, etc... some
of which are supported on some platforms and not on others and vice versa.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C#
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:53:24 -0600

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I've looked into ms's C#... looks like the spitting image of java to
me!
> > > Looks like trouble on the horizon.  I wonder if Sun will sue them
again??

> > Actually, it's not.  There are a lot of differneces.  The first
> > being that it's not interpreted.
>
> Java isn't interpreted.

Java is interpreted, it can be compiled, but the language is designed and
implemented as an interpreted language.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:54:43 -0600

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9882p3$42f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> I've looked into ms's C#... looks like the spitting image of java to
> >> me! Looks like trouble on the horizon.  I wonder if Sun will sue them
> >> again??
> >
> > Actually, it's not.  There are a lot of differneces.  The first being
> > that it's not interpreted.
>
> That has nothing to do with the language, its an implementation detail.
> JAVA could be interpreted, compiled in to byte code, fully compiles or
> just-in-time compiled.

The Java bytecode was designed for the limitations of interpretation.  Why
do you think it took sun 3 years to get HotSpot to function properly?  They
had to build in advanced optimization in order to overcome the way byte code
is laid out for interpretation.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GPL Like patents.
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:00:21 -0600

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:987vnt$nhsv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> You miss an important thing: the GPL advocates don't want people to know
> the true meanings of the GPL upfront. If they did, they would include
> clarifications (for instance, that static and dynamic linking are
tainting)
> as addendums to the lengthy section 0.
>
> They don't.

In all fairness, RMS *IS* working on GPL 3.0, which is said to clarify many
of those issues.  He's taking his sweet time though (nothing new there, Hurd
has been in the works since well before Linux was a gleam in Linus' eye.

> The author gets to choose the license? Sure. He should also know what he
is
> choosing. I know I regret licensing a lot of things under the GPL because
> believed the propaganda.

You wouldn't believe how many people i've talked to that are developing free
software and want to use the GPL, but after I explain to them what RMS's
intent is, they change their mind.

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:03:55 +0000

On 08 Mar 2001 11:37:23 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > <...>

> > > Some linux application do as well (gimp, WordPerfect 7), but the vast
> > > majority don't.
> >
> > Not so.
> >
> > StarOffice 5.2 has its own drivers, or offers "system" drivers, I'm
> > not sure which, but I suspect it has its own because a driver for my
> > Epson Stylus Color doesn't appear on its list. In any event, the
> > StarOffice test page just form feeds the paper, but prints nothing,
> > so that's one Linux product that's useless for me... not surprising,
> > I guess, if it doesn't have a driver for my printer and fails to
> > route print data via CUPS.
> >
> > LyX looks nice, but it also merely exercises the form feed
> > motor. Looking at the documentation, it has a massively convoluted
> > system for printing, which keeps the processor working flat out for
> > several minutes, but all it produces is a blank page.
> >
> > Are these Linux Oopsies, Mandrake Oopsies, StarOffice and LyX
> > Oopsies, or my Oopsies????????
>
> Your oopsies.  You need to setup your default printer.

I did that using CUPS and some apps print fine, like Kword, AbiWord.

> Most
> distributions will do that for you such that when you send PostScript
> to the printer it will be rendered and formatted for your particular
> printer.  If you're printer isn't supported then there's nothing you
> can really do.  If you're curious as to the how, please let us know
> what distribution you're using.
>
> By the way:  Which distribution ships CUPS as the standard spooler?

Mandrake 7.2 Avoid it like the plague.

> > I'm sure a little more research will uncover swathes of apps that have
> > their own ideas about printing.
>
> Not really.  UNIX applications expect to print PostScript.  Some (like
> WordPerfect, for example) try to impelement their own rasterizers
> instead for some reason.

So how is it that some output PostScript and print fine, Kword, AbiWord,
yet others output PostScript and merely form-feed, LyX???

> > Kword, part of Koffice 2.0.1, works as I and any other sane person
> > would expect, but it hasn't much idea about fonts. Oh, and Kword
> > crashes into oblivion if you ask it to print but there's no printer,
> > or it's not switched on.
>
> Considering it is an alpha product, no surprises there...

I thought KOffice was out of beta. If not, then fair comment...

> > AbiWord works ok. So do the little text editors like gedit, nedit
> > texteditor.
> >
> > So it's not quite true to say that "the vast majority" don't have
> > their own drivers. It's a lottery whether your app will print using
> > the so-called "installed" or "default" printer.
> >
> > In the Windows world, these apps wouldn't last five minutes if the
> > user didn't get an intellegent output from File -> Print.
>
> In the Windows world the printer manufacturers write the drivers for
> Microsoft, whereas we have to do it by hand.  It's one of those silly
> monopoly issues that we keep talking about.

But if the standard Linux way of printing is to generate PostScript and
modify the PostScript to suit the printer, why does it work sometimes and
not others?

Such that all the user should need to do is File -> Print.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 13:07:40 -0600

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > There has been some discussion about the GPL lately, I'd like to bring
> > up a little discussion about the BSDL.
> >
> > The BSD license is a permissive license that basically allows you to do
> > whatever you want with the software.  This is the guts of it:
>
>  [snip good post]
>
> Actually, you don't need to give credit to anyone in the new BSD
> license.

You don't have to give credit in advertising or binaries, you still have to
give credit in source code.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:13:48 -0300

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > There has been some discussion about the GPL lately, I'd like to bring
>> > up a little discussion about the BSDL.
>> >
>> > The BSD license is a permissive license that basically allows you to do
>> > whatever you want with the software.  This is the guts of it:
>>
>>  [snip good post]
>>
>> Actually, you don't need to give credit to anyone in the new BSD
>> license.
>
> You don't have to give credit in advertising or binaries, you still have
> to give credit in source code.

Well, that's a feature of copyright, not of the BSDL :-)
You just can't remove the author's name from anything, unless the author
specifically authorized it (say, putting it in the public domain).

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are todays computers 1000 times better than the original PCs?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:16:40 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : Plastic doesn't have the quantum-dynamic properties offered by
> : Silicon and Gallium Arsenide, etc.
>
> And Microsoft had better find that nirvana semiconductor quick. The latest
> Intel chips are pushing the limit of aircooled chips. There are now production
> 1GHZ chips, and in the labs Intel has been overclocking something to 1.5GHZ.
>
> We don't know what they are doing in the overclock lab to cool chips, but with
> 40W for those server chips, it must be some serious shit. Read my posting
> called "computing power to peak SOON" for my speculation on the Moore's Law
> endgame on the desktop. (and ideas for overclockers)

Power isn't the problem.  When in doubt just improve the cooling system
(i.e. go from air cooling to either liquid cooling or, even better,
some sort of bi-phase heat-pump system (like in refrigerators and
air conditioners).  Any time when you have a cycle of phase changes
between liquid and gas, you get VERY good heat-pumping ability.

We're going to hit a wall on IC miniaturization pretty soon...and it has
NOTHING to do with power dissipation.  Basically, it's getting to the
physical limit with regard to trace size. Internal conductive paths
are only a few hundred atoms wide...assuming that the minimum size
of a conductive path is in the range of 5-50 atoms across, then we're
only about 1 order of magnitude away from hitting the wall.

> Computer Nerd meets Shadetree Mechanic.
>
> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:44:49 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Edward Rosten ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : Diamons suffers the same problem as GaAs: no native solid oxide. Pity
> : since it is really useful.
>
> If we can't make a faster CPU with an exotic semiconductor, the speed limit is
> coming up quick. The speed limit on the desktop will be heat dissipation while
> servers can squeeze a doubling or two with refrigeration. But you can't go too
> far with that as the temp gradient gets ridiculous quick as you further rev up
> the chip. It could end up with the world's fastest chip being owned by an
> overclocker somewhere.

No...you merely mold the ceremic carrier into a heat-sink shape...and
if that's not enough, then you put a REAL coolant system on it, using
a refrigerant (but not that shitty R-132a stuff, it's dangerous: both
explosive AND poisonous...more toxic than Carbon Monoxide, and is
both odorless and colorless at lethel concentrations)

R-406a is a good refrigerant.  Far superior to R-132a

http://www.autofrost.com/134aproblems/index.html

By the way...anybody who likes Unix should get refrigerant from
Autofrost...the guy who runs the company, and developed some
FAR safer (and MORE EFFICIENT) refrigerants is George Goble, the
man who gave us the very FIRST Unix Kernal for multi-CPU machines
(specifically, the 4.3 BSD for some home-brewed dual VAX-11's that
he cooked up at Purdue).

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 20:41:46 +0100

Stephen Cornell wrote:

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> It's like no one actually listens to what I say.
>
> I'm almost speechless.

Hmmm.. you must be new here!?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:25:29 +0200

"Jay Maynard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 7 Mar 2001 23:56:51 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> >Here's a free clue: Freedom is optimized when *some* reasonable
> >limits exist.
>
> I think that, in a careful analysis of those limits, they all boil down to
> one principle: "Do not harm another without his consent." The GPV goes
well
> beyond the requirements that principle places.

The best way I've heard this being put it: "Your freedom to move your fist
end with my nose."

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:48:17 +0000

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:45:24 -0300, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> If you are using CUPS, then the printer command in SO should be lp instead
> of lpr, too.

I checked that, and it still just form-feeds. I tested the lp setup, using
DrakConf and CUPS and the test page prints fine. I'm assuming the test page
is generated as PostScript and then is filtered into Epson-speak. Assuming
it is, then I can't understand why SO doesn't print but just form feeds. I
guess the whole thing is completely buggered by design.

And of course, Gimp prints PostScript if I select lp without selecting a
driver from within Gimp, as we've found already in this thread...

Thanks for your help, but I'm going to jettison this Mandrake stuff, it's
just too stupid for words, or maybe I'm just too stupid for it...

Peter

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Windows reinstall!
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:51:54 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Paolo Ciambotti ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : Haha!  That sounds _SO_ familiar.  I have a 'cpio' archive of my Windoze
> : drive saved off under Linux.  When MSFT takes a crap all over itself
> : (which is a regular occurrence), I just FDISK the damned thing and dump
> : the 'cpio' image back onto it.  Never fails.
>
> : Linux: the ultimate Microshaft Windoze recovery tool.
>
> Another method is with a big hard drive, you save a rawcopy of the Windows
> partition, rawcopied onto a partition in a giant file. Sort of like:
>
> cp /dev/hda1 winblows.partition.
>
> To recover, merely:
>
> cp windows.partition /dev/hda1

better to use

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=loseDOS.partition
to save, and

dd if=loseDOS.partition dd if=/dev/hda1

> For best results, ensure you use a giant hard drive (a 40G will do) with a
> spare partition big enough to hole the file image.
>
> Too bad there's no rawread to match rawrite for Windows users to save the C

Fuck them.

> partition to a bigger one in a file to use a boot disk to recover with
> rawrite.
>

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.