From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith Peterson)
Subject: Re: who's WHINING dipshit!
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:31:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:00:59 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>

>>       I never had any problems with my Voodoo3, or Voodoo2, or Intel 740,
>>       or S3Virge, or Matrox G400.
>

>Is the Matrox G400 FINALLY fully supported under Linux, or is it still
>single head only support?
>
>claire

Hey now - don't nitpick. They like to claim a product is supported when it
really isn't. Leave them to their fun.

Yep - for instance, SB Live support for a long time consisted of essentially
making it emulate an SB16 - but it worked. Not one advanced feature of the
card was used, though.

My Turtle Beach card was supported too - fixed at a single sample rate, no
midi. But it was "supported".

Had a Riva 128 12MB card that was listed as supported once. Yes - if you count
only using 1MB out of 12MB "supported". Had to wait for a XFree86 update to
get support.

Don't believe the compatibility lists. They flat out lie.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Subject: Re: Why Linux is great.
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:16:14 GMT

And Colin R. Day spoke unto the masses:
>Idoia Sainz wrote:
<snip>
>> I find it more
>> featured, faster and prettier. Again it is an opinion.
>>

>But your opinion sucks!

<snip>

LOL!  Very funny.  I didn't think there was a good way to end an IMO war, guess
I was wrong.  Even though it is only your opinion of his opinion, funny stuff
Colin :-).

jt
--
Debian GNU/Linux [Woody]
2.4.0-test9-ReiserFS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:35:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:27:32 -0000
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:02:29 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Haoyu Meng
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote
>>on Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:23:56 GMT
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>[deletia]
>>As for the speed of X under a non-root account, that should make
>>little difference unless you're using something like Wine and
>>are running a DGA-aware Windows application in it...a configuration
>>that is still not quite ready for prime time AFAIK.  This may
>>be a configuration setup problem and/or bug.
>
>       I have never found myself wanting for more X speed at home,
>       even when faced with much faster machines at the office
>       running NT. Also, while SO could use a boost in some places
>       it typically only slows down when doing things beyond the
>       capabilities of msoffice.

I also find my X speed adequate, although I haven't tried to
play Quake lately. :-)

>>Dunno what to make of ActiveX.  It's certainly not appropriate
>
>       What I really wonder about is what do these novices "that just
>       want to get work done" under Windows think about object
>       embedding technologies? Are they even aware of them? Could they
>       use them if they were. Does all the flim-flam even have any
>       relevance for them.

Dunno.  I'm not impressed by the VC++ wizards, myself.  Haven't
used them for quite awhile.  (Yes, I use VC++.  It's passable.)

>>for Web development, although it seems to be useful for
>>limited internal communication (Office appears to be highly
>>depenent on it, for example).
>>
>>But you're right, Linux isn't quite ready for the desktop.  And if
>>certain businesses have their way, it never will be.
>
>       Also, there are simpler methods of application interaction
>       available. What a win32 programmer might have to do OLE
>       summersaults over in WinDOS might just be a matter of IO
>       redirection in Linux. There are many instances were a simpler
>       method of application interaction will be more than adequate.

Especially with text output.  For example, 'ls | wc' to count
the number of entries in a directory.  Under "raw" Windows, this is
probably a bit tougher, :-)  although the count of the number of
entries is available in Explorer, if nothing's selected.

(One can always install Cygwin or Perl, of course.)

>       WinDOS has it's own warts and it doesn't take much to trip it
>       up to the point where Linux is in a good position to best it.
>       This is especially true if you choose not to throw money at
>       the problem.

WinNT is a little better.  But it still does strange stuff, mostly of
the "you didn't really need those tooltips, did you?" variety.
Although lately Office throws "internal application errors" at me
when I try to send a message -- closing Office and restarting seems
to "fix" that problem.  (Typical.)

I don't know about Win2k.  An officemate had some minor difficulties
with his video card (I forget which brand), which were repaired after
downloading a new driver.

>--
>
>  If one studies too zealously, one easily loses his pants.
>               -- A. Einstein.

Dare I ask as to what Albert was studying at the time?? :-)

[rest snipped]

From: "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:38:07 -0500

Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Darin Johnson wrote:

> > > These groups weren't around then.  Where did you see verifiable data
on this
> > > that you can post?  Andecdotal.
> >
> > What the...?  Of course they were around then.  I first got on USENET
> > back in 82-83, and it had been around for quite a few years before
> > then too.
>
> These groups.  Not USENET.  The groups include comp.os.linux.advocacy
> comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
> comp.lang.java.advocacy
>
> > Can you provide verifiable data that the USENET did not exist back
> > then?
>
> Of course USENET existed.  It was one of the first applications of ARPANET
after
> email.  It predates TCP/IP.
>
> These groups did not exist then because the technologies they are
advocating did
> not exist.  Understand now?
>
> >  How do we know you'll believe our evidence if we find it.
>
> Well it ought to be pretty self-explanaotory :-)
>
> >  If
> > you're the one going against popular wisdom (that we were all
> > hallucinating and no network existed in 1985) why shouldn't you be the
> > one to provide the proof?
>
> If you're going to be the one that interprets "these groups" as the all of
USENET
> then I think the burden of proving they weren't around in 1985 rests on
you.

You're the one who interpreted my comment to mean "these groups".  I wasn't
referring to these newsgroups, or any other newsgroups, for that matter.  I
never even used the word "groups" at all.  The term I used, IIRC, was
"Microsoft advocates."  When you came back with something like "these groups
didn't even exist back then," I had no idea what the hell you were talking
about.  I thought you meant in some vague way that Microsoft advocates
didn't exist back then or something.

I didn't even use USENET back then.  The "groups" I had in mind when I made
the comment were "echo areas" on Opus and FIDO Bulletin Board Systems.  They
were more or less equivalent to newsgroups, but they functioned outside the
internet, "echoing" articles around the world with direct modem to modem
calls.

I think this is just a matter of miscommunication.  It probably ought to be
laid to rest.

jwb

I think this is just a simple miscommunication that ought to be laid to
rest.

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:43:22 GMT

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:
> Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that way of doing it.  It has the side effect
> of increasing the complexity of computing with the numbers and
> reducing the range of those numbers.  Even with hardware support for
> enforcing that all pointer accesses are word-aligned (which is rather
> architecture dependent) you've still got a fairly grotty mechanism
> there, IMHO.  It also limits the number of these sorts of classes that
> you can have (since you've not got many bits to use.)

Grotty?

The only things that are handled that way are integers as far as I know.
For everything else, techniques are used to greatly reduce the size of the
header instead.

> Just wondering, how does it handle floating point numbers?  For many
> applications, doing them efficiently is slightly vital, and it is
> amazing how up tight some people get if you force them to go through a
> dereference for every access or sacrifice some bits to type
> indication...

No special provisions are made for floating point numbers AFAIK.

------------------------------

From: "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:45:04 -0500

Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:MwCH5.13032$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:dNwH5.7761$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:HjvH5.9936$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8sl9ui$jab$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Microsoft
> > > does
> > companies'
> > > applications
> > >
> > > Is your lack of knowledge supposed to inspire the rest of us in some
way?

> > Well, gee, I guess I should have answered Weevil in private email then.
> >
> > Les... if your knowledge is so bountiful... why not list some of these
apps
> > that were deliberately crippled then.
> >
> > Come on. You can do it. Your amazing oracular knowledge and brain the
size
> > of a Mercury Lynx should be able to provide at least *ONE*.
>
> I'll go ahead and answer this one with the Standard List of Microsoft
Crippled
> Applications from Chapter 5, page 4,292 from the "Penguinista's Guide to
Bashing
> Microsoft".
>
> 1 Dr DOS (with Windows incompatibilities)
> 2 Lotus 123 (Windows)
> 3 Lotus Notes (NT4 SP6)
> 4 Novell NetWare Client *.*
> 5 Netscape Navigator
>

> To address:
> 1. Never happened. There was a reported incompatibility in the beta, but
the
>    released version of Windows worked with Dr DOS.

So you agree with Mike that Caldera faked Microsoft's internal memos and
emails that say otherwise?  They faked them and introduced them in court?

Pretty ballsy manuever, eh?

jwb

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:42:23 +0100

>   I do use and recommend always GNU/Linux to do this, in this
>case your opinion and mine are the same, a honest competition
>between Apache and IIS should be done to prove something.

I would be more interested in comparing Apache with Tux  both on Linux (and
maybe also on one or more versions of BSD) than with IIS on windross.

This would be interesting - 2 different ways of setting up a free webserver
on a free operating system (more if you include BSD tests). This would make
price/performance ratios irrelevent and just show the pure performance
differences - Everyone seems to use Apache but what is wrong with Tux
(specmark bechmarks show Tux is fast but forget to test with apache)?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:36:53 -0400

Lars Träger wrote:

> > > The taught us that anti-Constitutional assholes like yourself are
> > > a threat to the security of our nation and way of life.
>
> I guess if somebody told you to protect the "security of our nation and
> way of life" by shooting a couple of those "anti-Constitutional
> assholes" while they, say, demonstrated against a NRA meeting, you'ld
> gladly do so?

you never know.  Any asshole who proposes using anti-Constitutional
measures against a group that supports Constitutional behavior is
an enemy of the Constitution

> Be afraid America, be very afraid.

Not all of America...only those who seek to establish tyranny.

> Lars T.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:39:58 -0400

Lars Träger wrote:

> . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Loren, you owe every serviceman a LOT more than what you have paid
> > > them.  If it was not for us, you would be the impoverished subject
> > > of some totalitarian regime.
> >
> > Hah.  If it wasnt for you sitting in a comfortable chair in front of
> > some kind of 'communications' console?  You arent FIGHTING, friend, you're

False premise.  I work with field radios in the infantry.

I don't have any "communications console"....just small boxes with a
handset and antenna that you strap to your back.

> > (if youre in the reserves, especially) wimping out.  You are a coward

The reserves actually get sent BEFORE the majority of the active duty army.

Also, cowards don't get involved with, and re-enlist in front-line
communications.  Radio operators at the company level are TARGETS.

> > and an idiot.
>
> More importantly, if it weren't for people like him, those totalitarian
> regimes would have no power over their impoverished subjects.

Which ones.

> Lars T.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:47:11 +0100

>The first thing that is great about it is the install. A single CD has
>probably all the applications and drivers that you want. Very quick,
>very easy and it gets better from there.

Multiple-CD versions like SUSE contain even more applications ( I haven't
found any use for the extra's that my single-cd mandrake distro doesn't have
though - I run SUSE 6.4 on my main PC and Mandrake 7.1 on a PC at work and
on my laptop).

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:42:16 -0400

Lars Träger wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Lars Träger wrote:

> > > Aaron is probably impotent, and hates them because he can't have kids.
> >            ^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Translation: Lars is pulling this ad hominem attack out of his ass.
>
> Awww, poor little soldier boy, did I hurt your feelings by saying you're
> probably impotent?

No... just noting that you use the word 'probably' is your
        way of writing what you know to be a lie.

> Have I struck a nerve, the truth even, that you can not admit to yourself?

Strange, my girlfriend (who is in a MUCH better position to evaluate)
disagrees with your assessment.

> For somebody who can dish out so much against people not involved in
> this thread, you can take quite little going against yourself.  Man,

I attack people for their misanthropic opinions.

You, on the other hand, spread misanthropy.

Spot the difference.

> I wouldn't want to see you under actual fire.
>
> > Tell us, Lars...after pulling this vicious lie from your anus, did you
> > take care to lick it before spewing it all over USENET...
>
> See how good you are at dishing out? Too bad your not man enough to take
> even the slightest dip against your manlyhood.
>
> Lars T.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Distro 8.0 wish list...
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:51:23 +0100

>Yeah, I'd still like to see both for comparisons. Plus, I wouldn't even
>mind having a Linux IE port, so that you could compare HTML renderings
>across different browsers (assuming a Lx IE was consistent with a
>MS/Mac IE...). Would make it easier to design from home.

Consistency between MS and Mac IE would have to be achieved first (mac
version complies to web consortium standards, windows version doesn't).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,sci.physics
Subject: Why Water Is Wet (was Re: Astroturfing)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:01:14 GMT

Followups.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:21:31 +0100
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Chad Myers wrote:

[810/815 discussion snippped]

>And, yes please, please explain why water is wet. I'd be interested in a
>good explanation.

At the risk of looking monumentally off-topic, I shall endeavor to
answer this question, even though I know absolutely nothing
about the 810 or 815 chipsets. :-)

However, one can show that water is wet in a couple of ways.
One method is by looking at whether water adheres
to the side of a vessel, such as a glass made out of -- well, glass.
Contrast this with mercury, which will not adhere to glass.
(All this implies that wetness actually requires two operands: the
liquid and a solid being wet by the liquid;  in other words, "wet"
is not only an adjective, but a transitive verb as well:
"to wet one's whistle", for example.)

The meniscus of water will tend to curve as follows (best viewed
with a monospace font):

|     |
|\   /|
| --- |
|     |

whereas mercury does something like this (or one can construct a vessel
out of paraffin and pour water into that; probably less poisonous, and
one can probably just use candle wax):

|     |
| --- |
|/   \|
|     |

One can also observe water droplets on a flattish surface, such as
a car; a good wax job lessens the ability of water to spread out,
because water is less "wet" (doesn't adhere as well) on a waxed
card.  So it beads up.  (Not quite sure why this is better for
the car surface, although part of it might be that the water
droplets tend to fall off rather than evaporating and leaving salt
deposits.)

A second method, which is somewhat less reliable, is nevertheless
more commonly employed.  Basically, water is wet because it cools
the fingers in a breeze; of course, part of this is the heat
of vaporization (2260 J/g at STP [the point at which water boils,
freezes, and is liquid simultaneously]), and part of this is
carrying the resultant vapor away -- humid days tend to lessen
the cooling effect, for example, to our discomfort.

Note that rubbing alcohol cools more effectively than water,
at least as far as the "dip the fingers" test is concerned.
I don't know the heat of vaporization of rubbing alcohol (which
is, as I recall, isopropyl alcohol with a few other things mixed in).

A third method might use friction, e.g., by trailing a finger across
the allegedly wet surface.  The reasons for the difference may be
complex, but a wet surface has a different "feel"; depending on
other issues -- such as whether the water has soap in it or not --
the finger might just slide, or catch-slip-catch-slip-catch-slip,
which makes a rather distinctive noise; one can even play wine
glasses by running a wet finger along the rim, and tune said glasses
by filling them with water.  (The glasses will resonate.)

And that, Gentle Readers, is why water is wet.  :-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- no, I'm not Bill Nye

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grega Bremec)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:03:58 GMT

...and The Ghost In The Machine used the keyboard:
<snip>
>Especially with text output.  For example, 'ls | wc' to count
>the number of entries in a directory.  Under "raw" Windows, this is
>probably a bit tougher, :-)  although the count of the number of
>entries is available in Explorer, if nothing's selected.

...imagine the horrors, the only remaining good feature of windows
shell was removed in IE5! At least my humble self was unable to find
an option or a property which would reproduce this familiar behaviour.
One'd have to right-click the directory entry, select 'Properties' and
wait for the bytes to be counted in order to be able to obtain this
information.

Horrified,
--
    Grega Bremec
    grega.bremec-at-gbsoft.org

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 22:04:40 GMT

FM wrote:
> Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In the realities of mathematics, abstractions *are* objects.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Concepts exist only in people's minds, objects have an independent
> >reality; and the number '2' has an independent reality. There is

> We have the term "concept" for a reason. The term
> object is generally reserved for those with physical
> referents.

Talk to a mathematician some day and try to get him to call the
number 2 a 'concept'. To most people, that's all '2' is, but not
to mathematicians, and for good reason.

Objects are *not* generally reserved for concepts with physical
existence. Imaginary objects are objects despite having no physical
existence. I'd like a definition of "physical referents" btw.

> No, it's just that your above definition leaves plenty of
> holes as to what results from an action, how objects are
> referred (or more implicitly, created in the first place,
> etc). If you knew anything about fundamental computational
> paradigms, you'd know that these are the exact questions
> that distinguish one paradigm from another.

Wrong, cretin. It's what distinguishes COMPUTATIONAL paradigms,
which nobody gave a fuck about until you brought them up and
forced them into the discussion, from one another.

> >> actually learn a thing or two. And then ask yourself, what
> >> part of philosophy is NOT considered metaphysics?
>
> >Well, imbecile; moral philosophy, ethics, epistemology ....
>
> And the question that you deemed as philosophical but
> not metaphysical, belongs to which of these categories?

Here here idiot, when have I ever claimed that philosophy
was neatly partitioned into mutually exclusive subfields?
All I claimed was that figuring out the essence of paradigms
has nothing to do with metaphysics. In fact, it seems to be
related most strongly to epistemology, if not wholly in it.

> You can simply take that insult for yourself, if you
> somehow thought I had a different answer in mind before
> asking that question. Now, THAT's dumb.

I don't even know how to parse that sentence.

[most tripe deleted]