  Pro Microsoft letter bounty (Timothy Miller)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:35:19 -0400

Said Mike Byrns in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Weevil wrote:
>> T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Said Weevil in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>> >    [...]
>> >
>> > But finding the details is a less trivial task than you make it seem,
>> > Weevil, I have to admit.  Could you provide some urls?
>> >
>> >    [...]
>>
>> Here's a pretty good starting point:
>>
>> http://www.drdos.com/fullstory/factstat.html
>
>Note, folks. That this completely Caldera's opinion.  None of it was proven in
>court.  Every quote could be faked or taken out of context.  All in all I see
>normal American competition.

Its rather obvious that the reason that is all you see is because that
is all you want to see.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:36:27 -0400

Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
   [...]
>Not to mention - DRI was also pushing the per processor license agreements

To mention - DRI attempted to use this business model because Microsoft
had already implemented it.  You want to blame them for trying to
compete with an anti-competitive monopoly?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Why I hate Windows...
Date: 21 Oct 2000 00:35:54 GMT

Todd ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Paying $300 for an OS is nothing to me if it saves me time and frustration.

Sure wish I had money to piss away like that. I'd still use Linux and use up
the money to be social by getting drunk in bars. Sure must be nice to not have
to piss away money just to talk to people.

: After all, I only have so much hair I can lose to stress.

Until you have to get shit-faced drunk just to be at all social, you don't
know "stress". Trust me. And even with a lotto prize, I would not visit your
dictatorship.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: "Mark Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: who's WHINING dipshit!
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 00:37:23 GMT

> HARDLY! PnP was NOT developed on or for Linux, it was created for
> Windows
> 95. Linux caught up later...

Bzzzt!  Wrong!  Yggdrasil Linux was the first (x86) OS with PNP.  PNP
Linux.  Last version of it was published in Fall 95, right around when 95
came out.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:43:22 -0400

Said Les Mikesell in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
>> > Do you have the courage of your convictions?
>>
>> Yes. I have the courage enough to state that to my knowledge, Microsoft does
>> not write its products so as to deliberately cripple competing companies'
>> products. Its applications have no innate advantage over other applications
>> on the same OS.
>
>Is your lack of knowledge supposed to inspire the rest of us in some way?

LOL!

If Mike-the-shill had any 'courage', he wouldn't have hedged his bet by
saying "to his knowledge".  He's supposedly knowledgable about
Microsoft, as he spouts the MS-techno-bunk tripe whenever anybody gives
him the chance by pointing out the technical superiority of Linux.  Yet
he doesn't, apparently, have any courage of his convictions, since he's
not willing to provide his position as supportable.

In contrast, just to point out what "courage of your convictions" means:

All Microsoft software is crap, designed to prevent competition rather
than to provide value to the consumer, and the Appellate Court will
uphold the entirety of Jackson's ruling.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 00:44:58 GMT

In article <gq1I5.4141$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matt Garman wrote:

>What are the chances that a scientist is going to submit his article in
>*exactly* the format required by the journal?

If they provide a LaTeX template or class/style file, then the chances are
fairly good.  IIRC some journals (IEEE?) do just that.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now that we're
                                  at               in LOVE, you can BUY

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:46:11 -0700

> Said Les Mikesell in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

> >> Yes. I have the courage enough to state that to my knowledge, Microsoft
does
> >> not write its products so as to deliberately cripple competing
companies'
> >> products. Its applications have no innate advantage over other
applications
> >> on the same OS.
> >
> >Is your lack of knowledge supposed to inspire the rest of us in some way?
>
> LOL!
>
> If Mike-the-shill had any 'courage', he wouldn't have hedged his bet by
> saying "to his knowledge".

It was my post, not Mike's post. Learn to read.

> He's supposedly knowledgable about
> Microsoft, as he spouts the MS-techno-bunk tripe whenever anybody gives
> him the chance by pointing out the technical superiority of Linux.  Yet
> he doesn't, apparently, have any courage of his convictions, since he's
> not willing to provide his position as supportable.

My position is entirely supportable. And it's an honest one -- which is why
I said "to my knowledge". Saying one way or the other without factual
evidence to base either decision on would have been innately *dishonest*.
Not to mention stupid.

I have a physics background. When you're stating facts, you back them up
with your error-margins. This enables people to take your statement in
context.

If I say a door is 1m tall, do I mean precisely 1m? According to that
statement, you can't tell. If I say it's 1m tall, +/- 5cm, then at least you
know how accurate I believe my statement to be.

Therefore, saying that *TO MY KNOWLEDGE* these are the facts as I see them
is a damn good statement. It doesn't imply courage, or lack thereof. It
implies facts. Not emotion. FACTS.

> In contrast, just to point out what "courage of your convictions" means:
>
> All Microsoft software is crap, designed to prevent competition rather
> than to provide value to the consumer, and the Appellate Court will
> uphold the entirety of Jackson's ruling.

That's opinion, not fact, Max. It's also supposition. And going off what has
been going on in the courts recently, it's highly doubtful that they'll
uphold the entirety of the ruling. Most likely, they'll hold up just a small
part of it.

Simon

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:01:41 -0400

Said Simon Cooke in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

>"Matt Kennel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Simon Cooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> :Yes. I have the courage enough to state that to my knowledge, Microsoft
>does
>> :not write its products so as to deliberately cripple competing companies'
>> :products. Its applications have no innate advantage over other
>applications
>> :on the same OS.
>>
>> Do its programmers
>>
>> 1) know about future API's sooner than other non Microsoft programmers?
>
>Not generally. APIs don't normally stabilize before Beta2 anyway.
>Generally speaking, companies willing to sign NDA's will get access before
>the public will. Mind you, that applies to any software company.

Speaking of NDAs:

"But in his deposition, Chestnut conceded that the "nda" (non-disclosure
agreement) exception he referred to was a gaping hole
through which to give OEMs vapor: the purpose of full disclosure of
plans to OEMs by him and the OEM sales force was to
preempt sales of DR DOS to that OEM, and all of his many travels and
presentations in May and June of 1990 were directly
targeted at achieving this effect. Chestnut Depo. at 194. See also infra
at 314 (NDAs with ISVs and press also a fiction)."

"Is it permissable to ask Digital Research for assitance in problems
with DRDOS6 and Win 3.1 (60) ?
My answer yesterday was a curt, but flat no donıt you dare!!!!! Remember
a thing called NDA???? Iım strictly adhering to it, but wish MS would
talk with DRI.
[Response from Microsoft] Jeff, Donıt say anything about 3.1 to DRI.

Also:
Brad Silverberg:
There should be NO HELP for DRI. They are totally on their own. Do we
know if DR has Win 3.1? They are NOT an official beta tester.

Steve Ballmer:
brad pls make sure we are not supporting DRI anywhere in the company
with this stuff thx"

Waggener Edstrom, Microsoftıs public relations firm, warned Brad
Silverberg:
PR is going to have limited ability to help you if Microsoft is
deliberately and selectively keeping DRI from participating in the beta
program. That is, if you are making a special case of them that is not
consistent with the way that the beta program is being administered for
the rest of the industry.

>> 2) have a better record at getting the API's that they want included
>> in future versions of the operating system compared to non-Microsoft
>> programmers?
>
>I don't know of any examples either way, sorry.

How shall we proceed on the issue of making sure Win 3.1 requires MS
DOS. . . . Maybe there are several very sophisticated checks so that
competitors get put on a treadmill . . . the less people know about
exactly what gets done, the better.
September 30, 1991, e-mail from David Cole, MS-DOS/Windows Group Program
Manager, to Brad Silverberg, Senior Microsoft Executive for MS-DOS and
Windows

No, I don't know of any examples either way, nor does anyone else
outside the criminal monopoly, as far as the courts have been able to
determine.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:02:29 -0400

Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

>"Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:HNwH5.7766$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:HjvH5.9935$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > There must be someone who can remember the number of times it happened.
>> > Once might have been accidental. Of course MSDOS 4.0 broke just about
>> > everything ever used before, so Lotus  probably wasn't singled out that
>> > time.
>> > And it is amusing that it happened again with NT's service pack 6.
>>
>> And that problem was fixed that same week.
>>
>> Simon
>
>And, of course, the problem was due to Lotus' poor programming. The
>fix MS implemented should not have broke anything, but because Lotus
>designed Notes as a hack, it broke.
>
>MS actually had to pull back a security fix to the OS because of Lotus'
>incompetency.

Yes, yes, we know; its always the poor programming of competitors; its
never Microsoft's anti-competitive development.  Sure.

From: "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:01:47 -0400

> Said Mike Byrns in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>    [...]
> >Of course USENET existed.  It was one of the first applications of
ARPANET after
> >email.  It predates TCP/IP.
>
> USENET predates APRANET, as well, or is at least contemporaneous.
> USENET is a descendant of UUCP-based bulletin board systems, which did
> not use ARPANET, but dial-up lines.

Here's a clue Max, look up the dates for the first ARPANET nodes and then
look up the dates for the first implementation of UUCP.

--
Nik Simpson

------------------------------

From: "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:10:36 -0500

Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > > At least they can detect RAM in every PC out there. Linux
> > > can't seem to do this on even a small number of them.
> > >

> > Well first of all, that is an unfair statment.
> >
> > In the free software community it takes a while to get things working
> > right (many versions/people).
>
> And often never gets it right.  See HPT366 on ABIT BP6.

How come Windows can't detect all the partitions on a hard drive?

> >  Remember
> > that only recently has Linux used loadable device drivers.
>
> Good to see you all in the 20th century now.

Mike, is it true that Win2K has to reboot when you install a driver?  All
other versions of Windows force you to reboot seemingly when you make the
slightest configuration change.  Is Win2K still like that?

> > am not going to say that either is better than the other.
>
> Windows is better.

Well, no, it isn't.  As it turns out, Linux is better.

> > Linux is
> > unarguably faster,
>
> Wrong.  Post a faster graphics card result.

What do graphic cards have to do with OS performance?  If a card performs
better under one OS than it does under another, it is the driver, not the
OS.

When you want your graphics card to go faster, do you look for an upgrade to
your OS?  No, you look for the latest and greatest driver from the card
vendor.

> >  If you check out the latest
> > versions of KNOME and KDE you'd be suprized how good it looks!
>
> But so much slower due to minimal acceleration support.

Much faster than Winbloat.

> > Looks
> > BETTER than windows in my opionion,
>
> Looks like shit compared to Windows 200 IMO.

To you, everything looks like shit compared to Win2K.  Your opinion is
therefore worthless.

> > and you can use a simple interface
> > like QT to program for it! (C++)
>
> Or right to Win32/64 or MFC or Java or whatever else in Windows.

MFC, that OO wannabe that never quite cut it?  I thought Microsoft finally
caved in to embarassment and stopped supporting/upgrading it.

As for Java, do you mean the bastardized version that Microsoft foisted on
the public with the utterly meaningless (and unoriginal) name of J++?

As for Win32/64...you mean Windows is finally 32 bit, without all that
kludgy 16-bit stuff they never could seem to get beyond?  Hey,
congratulations.  Welcome to the 80s, you guys!

> > and Linux has become very viable (however it was only able
> > to detect 4MB of the 16MB VRAM in my Riva TNT [RH ver6.2] =< )
>
> Or the 256 MB RAM in myBP6 mobo.  Sad ain't it.

Windows detects 3 gigs on my 8 gig hard drive.  Linux, of course knows about
all partitions and can read and write to all file systems on the drive.

> >  Please don't bad mouth Linux, it is a great
> > operating system, and was developed by a great many programmers all
> > collaborating and giving there skills.
>
> Most are college students.  Great is relative.  My hat is off to the
> Trolltech crew and the KDE folks.  Gnome isn't too bad too.  Just don't
> think they are up to Windows desktop standards 'cause they are not.  They
> still have to deal with X.

X rulez, d00d.

The Windows GUI doesn't have a tenth of the ability X was designed with from
the beginning.  You must not know very much about X, other than what your
Microsoft manuals tell you.

> >  At least the linux programmers
> > can develop stable versions before release (something Microsoft has
> > never been able to do with Windows because of market pressure).
>
> Post proof of X being more stable than Windows 2000 please.

Post proof that Microsoft has ever had an operating system as stable as
Linux.  You obviously can't since they never have.  And since they have
always lied about it and *claimed* stability superior to that of Linux, why
should we believe their current claims?  We've heard it all before.

> > Well please feel free to respond to this, its not a flame just a
> > suggesto-question.  Sorry for any off-topic cross posts.
>
> No problem.  I hope I did set you straight.  Where'd you get these lies?
> College? Or a Liunx advocacy forum?  I can help you see the light -- I
> offer to educate you on Windows technology.  Would you like that?

Heh.  If he listens to a word you say, the last thing he'll be is educated.

Hey, when are you guys gonna shave your heads and wear robes and start
singing Windows Carols in airports?

jwb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Miller)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:12:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Brown) wrote:

>If you are coming over from a Windows background, you will like StarOffice
>5.2.  It even is present both in Windows and Linux environments (how's
>that for compatibility?).  The commands used are very similar to Word, and
>the output is compatible with Word.  You can't beat the price for
>StarOffice (at $0)!
>
>Basically, StarOffice is a good "replacement" for Word... until you have
>the time to learn more UNIX-typed approaches to word processing.  LaTeX is
>mentioned, and there are a lot of similar programs that are all based on
>the Markup Language approach.  You are probably familiar with HTML.  Well,
>the resulting file is a simple text file with character sequences
>interpreted as the formatting.  Remember all those "useless" commands in
>MS-DOS like fc?  Those are copied over from UNIX, and are designed to work
>with text-only files.  So when you use the Markup Language approach, all
>these text-manipulation commands are available to you (and they are very
>fast in executing), including grep.
>
>When you are very familiar with Windows, and just getting started with
>Linux, you will find that any cross-platform programs, including
>StarOffice 5.2 and WordPerfect Office 2000, are nice to use.  But you need
>to keep learning the stuff you don't know about already, like LaTeX, and
>bash, and linuxconf (these are only examples).
>
>--
>Trevor

When DOJ gets through with "Big Software", the Word Corporation will
port Word to other platforms since it will no longer have an operating
system product to protect.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Ms employees begging for food
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:19:12 -0400

Said Weevil in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

>Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:eK8H5.11301$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> Or, the real story: The market was living in a dream land and investing
>> into companies with no revenue and no hope of revenue. They finally got
>> smart and yanked out which is why RedHat suffered. Their business model
>> is to give away most of their product. Doesn't sound very profitable
>> to me. It's hard to be an industry leader selling manuals and support.
>
>Whoa!  I actually agree with you on something.  I've never quite been able
>to get my mind around this business model that involves giving so much away.
>I can imagine some scenarios where it might work on a limited, unambitious
>scale, but I still can't quite understand some of the growth projections I
>see for the business side of Linux.

I think you both underestimate the market for manuals and support.  :-)

>I do fervently hope that Linux becomes a force that Microsoft has to
>genuinely compete with.  It'll obviously be better for all of us.  And
>contrary to what a lot of people in these groups might think, I do not hope
>that Microsoft bites the dust.  They are in a unique position to truly push
>the envelope in every category of software.  They have a virtually unlimited
>budget for R&D, and they have some of the most talented programmers in the
>world working there.

But they'll never be able to develop a competitive product!  Their
entire business relies on being *anti-*competitive.  Once the gov't
splits them into two companies, they will *have* to compete (with others
using their respective published "Win32 APIs") regardless of their
desires to maintain monopoly.  It is quite possible that MS-OS or
MS-Apps (with the support of competitors/partners/third-parties) will be
able to salvage something useful out of the crapware known as Windows in
all its various flavors.  But I doubt it.  In the real world, all the
Win32 "wonders" are illusions; mirages in a desert of monopoly.  It only
looks good because there's nothing else that works, either.

>I just happen to believe that they've never used all that capital and talent
>to benefit us consumers.  I believe -- no, I *know* they've stifled
>innovation almost throughout their history, and we're all the poorer for it.
>
>I wish Bill Gates would wake up with a conscience some day and decide to
>honestly do the best he can for the customers who put him where he is today.

It isn't a lack of conscience, though; its megalomania which makes Bill
Gates do what he does.

>I don't care if he comes clean with anything in the past; I just want him to
>decide to devote Microsoft to putting things right.  With the resources at
>his command, he could work real wonders.
>
>What a dream, eh?

Yea; more of a fantasy, really.  But I can understand where you're
coming from.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Stephen)
Subject: Re: Astroturfing
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:18:34 GMT

Just to bring this topic back in line.  It isn't enough that
microsoft offered to pay for testimonials in the past, but that
they are continuing to do it today. If you want, you can update
the price list for letting people know how nice microsoft is.
bill Gates and company are more than willing and able to pay your
hundreds of dollars to send notes and post messages extolling the
virtues of "the microsoft Way"

 By the way, the Wall Street Journal had a blurb about MS's
lobbyist, Ralph
 Reed.  His lobbying organization is offering money for letters,
calls and
 visits to the "powers at be" about MS.  It is entitled "BOUNTY
PAYMENTS
 are offered for pro-Microsoft letters and calls."   $200.00 for
a letter
 to a member of Congress from a mayor or local Republican Pa;rty
office.
 An op-ed piece in local newspapers fetches $500.00.  A letter
from a fund
 raiser is worth $450.00.

 MS is looking for the best men money can buy.

Amazing isn't it?  And the windows weenies have the balls to even
argue the point?

On Thu, 1 Jan 1970 01:59:59, Pan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > 1. Proof, in writing (I'm not disagreeing, I would just like to see
> > > some proof).
> > >
> > > 2. If #1 is true, how do I collect my money?
> >
> > A. By check, duh.
> > B. We never claimed that EVERY shit-headed MS-cheerleader is on the MS payroll.
>
> true.  Some of them just own stock in the company or have "engineering"
> certification from the company.  Without that certification, they'd have
> to go by their other ( more accurate ) title, pc technician.
>
> --
> Pan
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.la-online.com

>From the Desk of Mike Stephen
Micro$oft has performed an illegal operation,
 and will be shut down.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Miller)
Subject: Pro Microsoft letter bounty
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:20:55 GMT

In today's WSJ "Washington WIre" column it says that Microsoft is
paying a bounty for pro-Microsoft letters and calls through Republican
Ralph Reed's lobbying firm. A letter to a Congressman from a mayor or
local party official is said to be worth $200 while an op-ed piece in
a local paper is worth 500 bucks! Wonder what a Usenet Post is worth?
I would guess about 2 cents -- maybe we should ask Dressed-in-Black.