Kulkis")

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:10:40 GMT

> Correct.  And yet all of these things are relatively easily dealt with,
> because Unix was not designed with any preconceived notion of what
> particular purpose a particular computer might have.

Well, no. It assumed that the computer could do everything -- and that the
user would be on the other side of a dumb terminal.

Simon

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:14:26 GMT

"Tired O'Shills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Simon, my dog says you are inflexible, an ideologue and a shill, and
> will never agree with anything that is not in strict compliance with the
> Microsoft version of reality. Well, OK, that's what I think. Prove me
wrong.

Maybe you should stay off the hallucinogenic drugs.

Simon

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:19:07 -0400

Simon Cooke wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Still, we are not discussing whether somebody refers to Win95 as an OS.
> > We are discussing whether Win95 is DOS 7, with Win 4 bolted on top so as
> > to *appear* to be a single package.
>
> I guess when you run LOADLIN, Linux is actually DOS 7 with Linux bolted on
> top so as to *appear* to be a separate OS.

Actually not, because the DOS image is overwritten and no longer used.
When Windows runs, DOS remains operative. BIG difference.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:20:56 -0400

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
anticipated.

> > > I think I can say with confidence that by 2003 Microsoft will not
> > > be used outside of US boarders to the degree it is today.
> > > Microsoft will be a single digit player by 2003 overseas.
> > >
> > > The United States and Canada are still chugging along at
> > > 16% to 40% depending on which graph you read.
> > >
> > > The other graphs vary but they seem to be consistantly over 500%
growth
> > > for Europe, South America and Asia no matter how you slice it.
> > >
> > > That just astounds me!  WOW!
> > >
> > > Clearly this would simply be dismissed had it not been for all the
rest
> > > of the private-commercial statistics groups who backed up most of
> > > the numbers!!!!
> > >
> > > SO, we went from 3-5% to 21% of the worlds computer users!
> > >
> > > And we did this all in the span from May, 1999 to now.
> > >
> > > So this explains why Microsoft is running that AD in europe!
> > > YES!  They must already know then that Microsoft is bleeding
> > > to death overseas.
> > >
> > > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-10-21-017-06-NW-CY-MS
> > >
> > > http://www.koehntopp.de/kris/msad.jpg
> > >
> > > Jeez!  They are just taking an ass wiping!
> > >
> > > Charlie
> >
> > That's quite odd because the combined statistics of all web sites
(566,000
> > of them) using thecounter.com's counter shows Linux OS users to be about
> > "0%" out of 458,991,203 combined visitors last month. Hmm...
> >
> > September 2000
> > 1. Win 98    303539944 (66%)
> > 2. Win 95    76819732 (16%)
> > 3. Win NT    34527360 (7%)
> > 4. Win 2000    15454715 (3%)
> > 5. Unknown    12760235 (2%)
> > 6. Mac    9667128 (2%)
> > 7. WebTV    3114516 (0%)
> > 8. Linux    1373239 (0%)
> > 9. Unix    888184 (0%)
> > 10. Win 3.x    755419 (0%)
> > 11. OS/2    64124 (0%)
> > 12. Amiga    26607 (0%)
> >
> > And note that numbers of Linux users are actually DOWN 11% from July
2000
> > even though total visitors are up by 9.5% (43 million).
> >
> > Now lets look at July 2000 502,483,035
> >
> > 1. Win 98    318538810 (63%)
> > 2. Win 95    101594073 (20%)
> > 3. Win NT    41047771 (8%)
> > 4. Win 2000    11423496 (2%)
> > 5. Unknown    11038874 (2%)
> > 6. Mac    10700310 (2%)
> > 7. WebTV    4098814 (0%)
> > 8. Linux    1543963 (0%)
> > 9. Unix    1214391 (0%)
> > 10. Win 3.x    1168735 (0%)
> > 11. OS/2    79389 (0%)
> > 12. Amiga    34409 (0%)
> >
> > http://www.thecounter.com/stats/
>
> Hey.  That's an excellent point.
> Linux stat's are showing a massive Microsoft beating
> and YET they have had a smaller percentage of Linux
> users come in and stat for them.
>
> This means the figures for Linux's growth are even
> greater than posted.  How much greater is anybody's
> speculation but certainly greater than that posted.

Did this response go through one of those language translators by chance?
It's not making a whole lot of sense.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:24:43 -0400

> [...]
> >
> > Now lets look at July 2000 502,483,035
> >
> > 1. Win 98    318538810 (63%)
> > 2. Win 95    101594073 (20%)
> > 3. Win NT    41047771 (8%)
> > 4. Win 2000    11423496 (2%)
> > 5. Unknown    11038874 (2%)
> > 6. Mac    10700310 (2%)
> > 7. WebTV    4098814 (0%)
> > 8. Linux    1543963 (0%)
> > 9. Unix    1214391 (0%)
> > 10. Win 3.x    1168735 (0%)
> > 11. OS/2    79389 (0%)
> > 12. Amiga    34409 (0%)
> >
> > http://www.thecounter.com/stats/
>
> Let's do the research here.
>
> http://www.internet.com/corporate/about.html
>
> Mecklermedia Corporation
>
> See paragraph when was internet.com corporation established.
>
> Says' Penton Media Inc.
>
> So that makes two Penton Media Inc sources.
>
> This is from the same team which produced Claire-Lynn I think.

Don't know exactly what your getting at but thecounter.com started out in a
garage (so to speak) several years ago, until being bought by the above
company sometime in or around April 2000.

------------------------------

From: Tired O'Shills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:34:14 -0700

Simon, you continue to meet my expectations. Shill.

------------------------------

From: Sponge<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux "Family Edition"
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:38:55 -0400

I just got this great idea to boost the sales of Linux. What if they released a
distribution called Linux "Family Edition" like Norton and other companies have
done?

It would certainly make Linux seem more attractive to a casual buyer.

I have even found the perfect family for them to put on the cover of the box!

http://www.firstworld.net/~smcdonal/trailerpark.html

Now does that family have Linux written all over them or what!!

I'll bet the kid at the bottom of the page is a big Linux supporter!

Better than being an Athletic-Supporter I suppose. <drum roll>!

Sponge

"Available day and night to muse about this garbage we call Linux!"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:40:45 GMT

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:20:56 -0400, "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Did this response go through one of those language translators by chance?
>It's not making a whole lot of sense.

Maybe he's been hanging around jedi?

claire

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:46:40 -0400

Relax wrote:

> enterprise
> > >
> > > GDI != GUI, troll!
> >
> > What exactly does the GDI do, if it doesn't draw the GUI?
> >

> my point is, the windowing system is not in kernel space, only the graphical
> primitives are.

The graphical primitives are the things that are things you want outside
the kernel. Since Windows uses the graphical primitives to print,
printing to a flaky printer can actually crash your system. Kind of
funny, really. So, a printer hooked on to your file server is actually a
reliability risk. What a stupid operating sytstem.

AFAIK, "USER" stuff is also inside the kernel because it must
dynamically link to the GDI stuff. If I am wrong about this, show me
proof. (BTW I did write a couple Windows NT display drivers for NT.)

> > So hey moved PART of the GUI in to the kernel.
> >

> Following that logic, the disk driver and the file system driver are parts
> of your applications.
>
> That said, I fail to see why putting low level graphic primitive at an even
> lower level indicates that Microsoft is "not serious about the enterprise".

See my bit about printing.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:05:46 -0400

Said MH in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

><> >Agent is probobly the number one newsreader on the net.
>>
>> Well, YMMV, but Agent has done nothing for me when I've tried it. I have
>> not been able to figure out how to set it up to allow me to read without
>> touching the mouse. (ideally by just hitting the space bar)
>
>Then how in the world did you figure out how to use linux?
>
>Agent, Tab -or shortcut key - to the message list window. Highlight the
>message in the list you wish to read.
>Tap <Return>. DONE. No mouse needed.
>
>This is hard?

Or better yet, go to Optio_n_s--_G_eneral Preferences--Navigation and
select "Single-_K_ey read views next unread Message".  I can understand
why you couldn't find it the first time, seeing how many options Agent
has.  Particularly because, thought they made a very good effort to
group them logically, there is some cause for confusion in how they are
allocated amongst the various commands and dialog box tabs.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: What I don't like about RedHat Linux.
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 23:09:17 GMT

On Oct 22, 2000 at 15:45, Vicente Sanz eloquently wrote:

>> Seems you are a prime candidate for reading the FSB.
>> GNOME and KDE are built by RH and therefore go in
>> /usr. Netscape might be built by RH but I'm not sure
>> about that. When _you_ build KDE and GNOME, _you_
>> can install them in /opt.
>
>   When I build whatever I obviously locate it where I do
>want, I thought we were talking  about installation
>defaults. I think splitting the whole KDE or GNOME
>inside /usr is bad and do not like it, what't up with it ?
You do have a right to put stuff where you want it. After
all it is your machine. However, if you follow the FSB, there
are mandated places for stuff. RH seems to follow the FSB.

Basically, the FSB will have to go thru many more revisions
before it becomes real peachy. In the mean time, we have the
luvly mess that we have today.

The point is there are ppl paid by RH to work on GNOME
and KDE who are part of the core developers. If they
build packages, in whose name are they doing this. If
RH, then the packages go in /usr. If GNOME or KDE, the
packages go in /opt or /usr/local. RPM does have the
ability to relocate packages. It is now up to the packagers
to use this facility.

The Phone Booth Rule:
        A lone dime always gets the number nearly right.
  7:03pm  up 1 day,  1:54,  9 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:13:43 -0400

Said Paul 'Z' Ewande© in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
   [...]
>the
>> >
>> > A video game does only one thing on a particularly limited set of
>hardware.
>>
>> Unlike windows which does a lot of things (poorly) on a bunch of
>
>Insert necessary Windows bash. Can't help it, can you ? :)

What can we say?  Its crap.  Blame Microsoft, not us.  Or whoever taught
you to reason, because you've apparently blinded yourself to the truth.

>> hardware. So?
>
>It helps reliability to only one thing on a an extremely set of hardware, by
>reducing compexity. I don't even believe that you have to ask asked this
>question.

Yes, it helps reliability, but does it increase the requirement for it?
Obviously, it increases the difficulty of it.  Are you saying that
Windows is reliable in comparison to any other OS?  That would be a
stretch, to be sure.

   [...]
>> Actually, they didn't need a crystal ball. Speaking as someone writing
>> software and designing hardware IN THE 70's all it took was common
>> sense.
>
>Nevertheless,  a great many of current capabilities were tacked on along the
>way, with more or less seamless integration.

And we all know that tacking on 'integrated' things along the way
causes problems, don't we?

   [...]
>No ! No ! No ! You have it all wrong, it's all MS's fault.

Thanks for the straw-man.  It looks cute out their in the October
breeze.

Yes, FUD is all Microsoft's fault.  They're the ones doing the FUDding.

http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:14:50 -0400

Said Simon Cooke in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> So if you have real-mode drivers, they're loaded by DOS first, but
>> somehow it is a sub-system of an OS that hasn't loaded yet?
>
>Yes. In other words, there are two separate behaviors.

Oh really?  It seems there's only one: DOS, with Windows added.

>> We're all well aware that Microsoft zealots can play an endless game of
>> recursive logic by continually re-defining what is meant by "DOS", in
>> the same way that MS themselves redefined "Windows" to include
>> applications (IE and Media Player).  Nevertheless, this doesn't change
>> the fact that Microsoft was being untruthful in their representation of
>> what Win95 was, and that Win95 runs *on top of* DOS.
>
>Not if you're not using legacy drivers. You can check; performance is vastly
>improved if it doesn't have to thunk & mode-switch all the time.

Yes, it surely does.  Trying to mix a 16 bit OS with a 32 bit shell is a
real bitch, I'll bet.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:21:26 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> You are not just a moron.  If we go around the news groups we find you here
> >> whining about anyone who sees through your bull shit and calls you on it. On
> >> another group you currently have people calling you a phony since you claimed
> >> to have a Presidential Citation and yet disappeared when asked to prove it.
>
> >Joint Meritorious Unit Citation, idiot.
>
> Listen up you scumball -- there are vets in the other forum who asked you to
> prove your not wannbe phony. When are you going to prove it?  Me, I want to
> see your DD214 because I'm betting 10 to 1 that you are fraud.

DD214 is an entirely USELESS piece of paper to those who lead productive
lives in the civilian world.

Besides, I am still serving in the military. What the fuck do I need an
old piece of paper that says I have 2 years time in service when I now
have 11 years in ? HMMMMMMMM

> Not only that, but from some of your other comments at times, I suspet that
> the only thing that has ever loved you is Rosy and her five friends. -- So see
> that shrink. It will help you. Honest.

You sound jealous and bitter.
Why is that?

> >> You are sick man. Find a good shrink, and get the help you so clearly need.
> >>
> >> And -- listen up moron -- as a vet, I'm thinking of reporting you, because if
> >> you have security clearance -- your behavior as it t is displayed out her in
> >> ciberspace -- is an indication that in the right position, you could well be a
> >> serious risk to the Nation.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:22:22 -0400

Static66 wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:07:29 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Loren Petrich wrote:

> >>    "I'd vote for any yellow dog who just happens to be a Republican".
> >
> >That's the best you can come up with, fat ass?
> >
> >http://www.webcom.com/petrich/my_portrait.jpg
> >

> >>    Sort of like a yellow-dog Democrat.
> >
> >Translation: fat-ass wanna-be-dictator socialist losers like Loren.
>
> well he is of croatian decent and they did side with the nazi's for
> awile if I'm not mistaken...
>
> its also Funny how he chose to rip my military service in bosnia, when
> his family came from the region and should know full well of the
> horrors and hardships suffered there.

What do you expect from a self-centered, short-sighted fat-ass idiot?

> >> --
> >> Loren Petrich
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> Happiness is a fast Macintosh