  Re: WOW - This is Interesting (Charlie Ebert)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: URGENT MESSAGE TO CHAD'S EMPLOYER Was: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:03:31 -0500

green wrote:

> dosn't matter if the terminal is setup properly
> it can scroll pretty text pictures all day long.
>
> ahhhh
>
> sort of like watching screen savers
> mabey like the matrix.

Hmmm, *THAT* very screen saver *IS* the one I use.

> :)
>
> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Michael Vester wrote:

> desktop
> shoot

> and

> > > Give Chad a nice 3270 terminal.  A nice pretty green screen.
> > > No nasty mice to clutter up the desk.
> >
> > Not only would Chat the Shit-brained not know what to do....
> > but no amount of teaching would help him, either...
> >

> > > --
> > > Michael Vester
> > > A credible Linux advocate
> > >
> > > "The avalanche has started, it is
> > > too late for the pebbles to vote"
> > > Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux office, a possible future.....
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:06:43 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> "Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> > > What do you mean "worked, after a fashion"?  DEC had clusters working
> long
> > > before MS even
> > > had thought about it.  The centralized admin of users and networks
> worked
> > > great!
> >
> > You ever tried using a satellite system of a VAX cluster? Which is
> > faster, a satellite or a standalone workstation?
> >
> > > And the systems didn't break either!
> >
> > Oh they stayed up for long periods, but they had their fair share of
> > outages too.
> >
> > > DEC had equipment that was designed for lans or wans
> > > before 1990.
> >
> > Yes I know, I used to work for them.
> >
> > > And, the nice thing there weren't any crashes.
> >
> > Oh yes there were!
>
> Did you work for the Govment?  Before 1993, there really wasn't a small
> computer system that could do these jobs.  NASA used DEC equipment for
> years.  So has the Dept of the Navy and other government agencies.
> I had a budget to use to acquire computer equipment and was held accountable
> for it too!
> I really never cared for how vms worked, but their compilers were the best!
> Industry now recognizes
> VAX Fortran as the best there is.  We had a network of VAXes for the nuclear
> dept. of the Navy and not once
> have I ever seen a log of a system crash.  Network crashes were caused by
> people doing stupid things, like
> yanking on their lines to move their terminal to another desk or the lines
> got pinched by a shoved file cabinet.
> The O/S stayed up!  I almost approved of a Sun system back then, but their
> fortran processor was weak then.
> You know you've got the right system when things run smoothly and everybody
> is happy or not complaining.
> Especially when the boss gives you a raise in pay.
> There may have been crashes, but not where I worked... just never heard of
> one.

In most IT positions, the way to judge your success is by how many
people DON'T know your name.

If *EVERYBODY* knows your name...then either you are the pinnacle
of success within your organization...or (more likely), everything
is completely fucked up so bad, that EVERYBODY has come to you to
solve so many problems that not only do they know your name, but
they have your phone number memorized, and can find your desk even
in a power failure.

> > --
> > Pete
> > All your no fly zone are belong to us

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:08:09 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> [...]
> they'd
> > > never know.
> >
> > Probably not. Though the researchers might be a little miffed since I
> > reboot my machines several times a day (device driver work).
> >
> > > The tools were quite primitive 10 years ago.
> >
> > They've improved that much have they? Judging by what I've seen in Linux,
> > there doesn't seem to be that much improvement. Catching up with Windows,
> > maybe, but otherwise the good ol' script file is still there.
> >
> > > Perhaps, but tried and true technology as MPI and the UNIX clustering
> tools are
> > > pretty well tested.
> >
> > And you want everyone to use clustering for everything is that it? What
> > happened to... gasp... choice?

> one
> > >
> > > Not a "network device" a stand-alone computing node. There is a big
> difference.
> >
> > With or without a disk?

> people
> as
> > >
> > > Who said ANYTHING about diskless? No one but you. A modem connected unit
> would
> > > not be part of the cluster, but certainly remote adminstratable.
> >
> > Weren't the Network PC's going to be diskless?

> > > The mentality is very similar. A small island onto itself. UNIX the idea
> has
> > > always been grouping the power of the computers.
> >
> > Nothing wrong with small islands. Nothing wrong with cooperation either,
> > for that matter.

> they
> > >
> > > The reason for that has a lot to do with AT&T, Microsoft's monopoly,
> etc.
> > > Anyone sufficiently educated with the history of the PC and modern
> operating
> > > systems could conclude it isn't because Microsoft did anything well.
> >
> > Or perhaps UNIX sat back and did nothing about it?

> > > There are several packages, what did you have in mind for particular
> features?
> >
> > How about general purpose ones?
> >
> > > Do tell, why isn't Star Office "there" yet? I have been using it over a
> year,
> > > before that I was using Applix.
> >
> > Fonts, Printers, overall Sluggishness.
> >
> > > Tell me what isn't "there" yet about these packages?
> >
> > They're behind what we have on Windows.

> > > Number, yes, unique to a task, no.
> >
> > More choice!
>
> I wonder, over here we have plenty of choices.  Sometimes companies go belly
> up because of bad management.  I remember the Amiga back 1987, and back then
> there really wasn't anything to compare to it or beat it for its low cost.
> For the money the graphics were the best.  Unfortunately, it was bought out
> by
> Commodore and things stayed stagnant.  I still haven't seen a system utilize
> multiple moving backdrops (lack of a better word) since.  I really don't
> know what goes on in England with computers or how the citizens there are
> taxed or treated in regards to computers.  ???

In England, people are treated like sheep, because they insist upon being sheep.

> > --
> > Pete
> > All your no fly zone are belong to us

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: .Net to run on Linux
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:09:39 GMT

In article <E7Zr6.849$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:52:11 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > If you program in Java for windows, you rarely write for windows, you
>> > write for the Java platform.
>>
>> Unless you use platform-specific extensions.  Which MS cunningly
>> designed their J++ variant to encourage.
>
>They did this because Java lacked so many features in the early days that
>you HAD to go native to do much of anything.
>
>> I think he means Windows-isms like COM, ActiveX, ADO, etc.  Our resident
>> technical evangalist Erik Funkenbush claims that easy access to those is
>> one advantage of .NET over Java.  If that's true, one would suppose they
>> would be used and would compromise portability.
>
>I said no such thing.  .Net will likely succeed where Java fails for many
>reasons, none of them have anything to do native windows.
>
>For instance, MS actually submitted the specifications for the .NET CLI and
>C# to the ECMA, something Sun promised to do several times and lied each
>time about.  .Net is also much more comprehensive than Java (the platform).
>Java has tons of stuff just bolted on, MS makes a very strong push to make
>the services feel like a single cohesive unit.
>
>> How many of those do you suppose will be truly portable?
>>
>> See, .NET faces the same obstacles to "write once run anywhere" that
>> Java does.  The MS answer to that seems to be to just ignore the
>> problems, since most users have Win32 anyway.  Therefore, I suspect that
>> most .NET applications will not be very portable and the whole scheme is
>> _not_ truly designed for platform independence.
>
>It's mostly designed for independance between supported platforms.  MS is
>supporting .NET on Win32, Win64, MacOS and at least server-side services on
>Linux.  MS doesn't want to keep developing special versions of Office for
>Mac and Windows, they want to consolidate that, and they need Office on
>Win64.  Much like IBM needed Java to maintain their vast array of platforms,
>MS is finding they need a compatibility layer as well.

Oh Hi Erik.  Still acting like a dumbass I see.

Well, you debated with me right at a year ago that Microsoft would
NEVER become an applications vendor for Linux.

And you were fucking wrong then too.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Mindless suicide! Rediculous Dumbasses!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:10:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Anonymous wrote:
>"Masha Ku' Inanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> You know, the really scary thing about Charlie's enthusiasm is that it feels
>> so much like the "You GOTTA be saved, Jesus LOVES you!.." enthusiasm of some
>> religious sects.
>>
>> Or is "Linus loves you," more accurate?

No bad boy.  It was the GPL which rocked your earth.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:11:58 -0500

J Sloan wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > It just confirms what they said earlier, beside...
> > They have to, in order to get .NET as a(n open) standard, they have to
> > implement it on two platforms.
>
> Given microsoft's track record, one would have to be
> quite gullible to expect solid support from microsoft for
> a non microsoft platform. If .net were actually to become
> popular, ms would use it as a weapon against non ms
> operating systems, just as they use ms office now.
>
> They might well release some partial support for non
> ms operating systems, but they will counsel users to
>  "migrate to windows" for best results, and they will of
> course also be poised to pull the rug out from under
> your platform of choice the moment it will benefit them
> to do so.

I wouldn't put it past them to slip in some deamons that
do double-duty as trojan-horse agents of sabotage as well.

Why?

Because that's how criminal organizations treat those who
are stupid enough to do business with them.

> jjs

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:12:09 GMT

In article <98q8io$2b2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bloody Viking wrote:

>Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: In article <Y5Gr6.1424$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>: Awe.....   I'm sowwwy Ewik....
>
>: But Evolution has been in use by most people within the Linux community
>: for 5-6 months now.  Where have you been????
>
>: Did a big bear eat your brains again poop head?
>
>Speaking of evolution, A bear eating Erik's brain would get an ursine Darwin
>Award. Doesn't that "Evolution" package also come with that "Bonobo"
>package?

Assuming the bear could keep from pooping it within the first 24 hours,
I guess so.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Scientist and Engineers Rail at PC Industry
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:13:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, CR Lyttle wrote:
>Slashdot published the following link to a story about the ACM meeting
>in San Jose this week:
><http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010313/tc/scientists_engineers_rail_at_pc_industry_1.html>.
>Most of the complaints were about MS Software and iMac hardware. No
>complaints in the story were about Linux. However, has anyone has done a
>marketing survey to see what features Linux should provide for the
>Engineering/Scientific communities and for the consumer community? We
>spend a lot of time in this group bashing MS and talking about what is
>"intuitive" and what isn't, but I haven't seen any studies showing that
>Linux distributions are any better. Has anyone set up computers in a
>mall to see if the public likes Windows, KDE, or Gnome better?
>
>--
>Russ
><http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>
>Home of the Universal Automotive Test Set
>Linux Open Source (GPL) Project

This is probably because Windows is shit.

But that's what we've been saying for the last 6 years.

Charlie

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
From: Austin Ziegler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:13:27 -0500

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> Please stop being a self-appointed guardian of the one true
> definition of "free". Instead, have a another read of your
> vaunted QPL, remove the ambiguities, and get rid of that nefarious
> clause 6c. Do you really expect people to send you code they
> wrote for their own use, which they never distributed a binary
> from, only because it "links" to your software?
>
> After reading your QPL, I can only conclude you're a hypocrite.

That would be the case, Stefaan, if and only if the QPL and the QPLites
which support it pretended to 'free' their software.

If it ISN'T the case, then Jay is being consistent.

-f
--
austin ziegler   * Ni bhionn an rath ach mar a mbionn an smacht
Toronto.ON.ca    * (There is no Luck without Discipline)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:15:05 -0500

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <Y5Gr6.1424$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >How could anyone have standardized on something that wasn't a final
> product
> > >until today?
> > >
> > >"You idiots!  what are you doing riding horses when I just invented the
> > >automobile today!  You're all crazy, you should have been using
> automobiles
> > >years ago".
> > >
> > >Real intelligent there Charlie.
> > >

> > Awe.....   I'm sowwwy Ewik....
> >
> > But Evolution has been in use by most people within the Linux community
> > for 5-6 months now.  Where have you been????
>
> Like Eric said, it's not used by anyone. At least not anyone that matters to
> anything more than mom, dad and their geeky IRC buddy...

What do you know about "geeky IRC buddies"

especially when you consider that IRC is quite popular across the board
for kids and college students.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: WOW - This is Interesting
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:15:40 GMT

In article <5hZr6.850$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Nico Coetzee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html
>>
>> FreeBSD seems to be my next web platform !!!
>>
>> I don't know how often the updates are run, but now (Wednesday, 14 March
>> 2001, 22:22 GMT+2) FreeBSD had all of the first 20 places!
>
>Most of those are likely the same server with multiple IP's
>
>> Out of 50, it claimed 47 sites with the longest uptime. M$ does not
>> feature, but I miss Linux from that list even more!
>
>That's because Linux is incapable of reporting an uptime larger than 479
>days, even if it is up longer than that.

You are incorrect oh MAFFAM.  They fixed that bug some time ago.

>> So, what makes FreeBSD that different from Linux? Can it be that the
>> sites mentioned has low volumes?
>
>No, FreeBSD has a different uptime counter than Linux, and doesn't cycle
>after 479 days.
>
>> Just wondering...

FreeBSD also doesn't have one other thing.  A Working EMU10K driver
for you soundblaster card.  And beyond that I can only think of about
15,000 other drivers that their missing.

FreeBSD is a sinking ship.  And it's no surprise to see Erik Fukenbush
choose it as his flagship.

Charlie