From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I think I'm in love.....
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:44:26 +0000

Weevil wrote:

> sfcybear did check with deja and discovered you have not asked for Linux
> help in any technical newsgroup.  You claim you have.

Yep, in the Mandrake and KDE newsgroup.

> Maybe deja doesn't carry the newsgroup you went to, Pete.  I have access
> to a fairly good news server, though, so I can probably find the articles
> you posted asking for help if you'll tell me which newsgroup(s) you posted
> in. So...which newsgroup have you sought help in, Pete?

My KDE post has vanished, don't ask me why. Some kind of server error. The
post in Mandrake is still there, if you care to look for it. (Or was it the
post in KDE is still there and... I forget which).

> The answer is none, of course.  Your only possible answer to getting
> caught in this is to say that you simply read those groups to see if
> anybody
> happened to answer your questions without you asking them.  But you've
> proven with your many posts here that you're not shy about listing any
> "problems" you're having.

Wrong. See above.

> So, Pete.  Why didn't you ask for help in the technical groups?  And then
> why did you try to imply that you had?

I did, I can't help it if you can't find the articles, now can I?

> The anti-Windows stuff is almost always in reaction to an attack on Linux.

Nope, there are a number of articles that start by praising Linux and
attacking Windows. I wouldn't mind so much but quite often a load of
rubbish is spouted about Windows and certainly a series of half truths
about Linux.

> If the Linux users here were so hot to post anti-Windows stuff, they'd go
> the Windows advocacy groups and do it there, too, wouldn't they?  But they
> don't, do they?  It is the anti-Linux crowd that has invaded this group,
> not the other way around.

Well there are posters who post anti Windows stuff to both groups now
aren't there?

> You try to pretend that your only goal is to set the record straight about
> lot of incorrect information about both Windows and Linux.  To tell the
> truth, in other words.  So, now that you've been reminded that a deja
> search can easily catch you in a lie about what you've posted in Usenet,
> tell us about all the pro-Windows people who have posted stuff that is
> "just plain
> wrong" and that you've corrected.  Which newsgroup was that in?

What lie was that? I've posted in both the Mandrake and KDE usenet groups.

> There are thousands of times more Windows users than Linux users.  If your
> motivation is to right what is wrong, to save people from getting
> incorrect information, don't you think you could do a lot more good
> correcting all the
> misinformation that gets posted in Windows groups?  Of course you could.

But I'm reading the COLA group. I'm here because I'm trying out Linux. I
keep hearing how Linux is the future and is going to topple Windows, yet
what I find when I try it for real appears to be the opposite.

> You say, "I write about what I find."  Do you ever find pro-Windows stuff
> that is "just plain wrong?"  Which newsgroup(s) was this in?  I'd be
> interested in reading all the articles you must have written correcting
> that stuff.

In this group, actually. I occaisonly point out to pro-Windows people the
weakness of an OS that has no memory protection (i.e. Windows 95/98/ME) and
has 16 bit controls (again Windows 95/98/ME).

--
Pete Goodwin

Just waiting for Linux to get there...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:43:54 -0000

On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 08:29:30 GMT, Chip Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Salvador Peralta) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>--snip--
>>This meant that he had to manipulate a month's worth of log data 30 text
>>files totalling about 600 megs on his new win2000 workstation.  Like
>>most winAdmins, he opened up wordpad and tried to cut and past the files
>>into a single document.  Due to memory limitations of the product, he
>>couldn't get more than 1/3rd of the data into any winDocument including
>>word.
>>
>--snip--
>
>The Admin was simply an idiot.  He could have catenated the files using

        That variety of admin is expected to be an idiot.

>the copy command.  Next he could have hacked out a QBASIC program to
>remove any unwanted lines.  Make a batch file and run it once a month.
>
>The failing was in the Admin, not his tools.

        Actually, the tools themselves are nasty as well.

--

  How much net work could a network work, if a network could net work?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel Delays.
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:43:59 GMT

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:54:40 -0800, Bruce Schuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> We understand that you want to define things so you can cite tpc
>> benchmarks.  Database transactions, however, are only a part of what
>> people mean by the term "dynamic content".
>>
>> Most of us would consider things like text searching (google, deja) and
>> online forums (sourceforge, slashdot) to be "dynamic content".
>
>I understand that deja has terminated searching for anything over a year
>old with the message:

Which has nothing whatever to do with what was being discussed you
nitwit.

>I understand what you are saying. But eCommerce and transactional
>processing and database lookups and writes are the strength of IIS and
>Win2K.

If you say so.  But database lookups and transactions have nothing to
do with IIS per se, as the lookup would proceed at the same pace had it
been requested by an Apache server.

>> You also seem to want to pretend that ASP on IIS and Perl on Apache are
>> comparable technologies.  They aren't.  One is handled in the server
>> process, the other launches a separate interpreter for each use.

>I'd be glad to compare benchmarks of comparable systems do comparable
>transactional processing.

If they existed.  Since they don't, do you figure you can just invent
creative interpretations of what does exist?  I guess that's why MS
and other vendors pay for these benchmarks, so their flacks can mis-
represent them to potential customers.

>> The thing is, if you do this fairly you will find that there isn't a
>> whole lot of difference.
>
>I think there is large difference in cost per transaction as the TPC-C
>benchmarks show.

The TPC-C benchmarks do not show that at all.  They show that NT
clusters can be more cost-effective than commerical Unix running on
proprietary hardware in certain situations.  Nobody knows what the
results would be for Linux running on Intel hardware, as nobody has
paid the fees and done it.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:44:05 GMT

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:12:25 +1000, Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>You don't have Pine on any of your systems ?  It *is* a rather popular mail
>client for *nixes.

Yes, and I use it a lot.  It doesn't run shell scripts when you view
them.  It displays them in a text editor.  You have to take explicit
action to run a script.

>And it's not like such things are unheard of in other OSes.

If you follow the thread, that was my point.

>> Why have macros
>> embedded in the document to begin with?
>
>So when you move your document with it's cool macros to some other system,
>they're there as well.

Yes, there's the tradeoff.  Make it easier at the cost of potentially
serious security problems.  Personally, I think having to move one more
file over to bring in my "cool macros" is preferable.  But then, I'm
not targeting the boneheads of the world as my target market.

>> You don't see any Emacs macro viruses going around, even though it has
>> a very powerful macro language.
>
>Has anyone actually tried ?

I don't know.  They sure have had plenty of time.  Emacs has been
around for many years.  Much longer than Word.  It is going to be a lot
harder to get some random user to install your macro file than it is to
get him to read your document though.  That probably takes a lot of the
fun out of it.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:49:31 +0000

Pete Goodwin wrote:

Well, here's the article I posted in KDE:

From:   Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Newsgroups:     comp.windows.x.kde

Subject:        KDE 2.0

Date:           Fri, 03 Nov 2000 22:26:07 GMT

MD5-Digest; Supports gzip encoding

no references

A few questions about KDE 2.0

* Windows shares - none show up in konqueror, yet I can connect with
  smbclient

* Where are themes in the configuration menus?

I think the article in Mandrake has disappeared.

So, like to call me a liar now? I have reported problems to the KDE group,
and the Mandrake group.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Why Linux is great
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:50:20 -0000

On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:28:03 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Sat, 04 Nov 2000 12:56:25 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I have never seen a USB printer. FYI it works on my HP just fine.
>
>Lexmark z42 is an excellent USB printer that does 2400 dpi and works

        ...with a Parallel port.

[deletia]
--

  My EARS are GONE!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:52:32 -0000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:31:25 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 15:40:35 GMT, Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >
>> >"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:8u3unv$6c4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>what
>> >
>> >But, it does not tell you what is going to run if you choose 'open'.

>> >How can you make a reasonable choice with no relevant
>> >information?

>> Sure it is.
>>
>> You must take your users into account when you are designing
>> any system. You can't merely disregard them and then crassly
>> blame them for your pisspoor foresight as a PROFESSIONAL when
>> mere novices cause havok with your system.
>>
>> You exhibit the attitude many lemmings like to attribute to
>> Unix users in general.
>
>Qouting from Bruce Schuck post:
>
>Regarding higher security settings:
>______
>If you have Office 2000, you need the SR-1 update.
>
>If you have Office 97, you just need the patch.

        That doesn't negate the original pisspoor design.

[deletia]

--

  I would rather be a serf in a poor man's house and be above ground than
  reign among the dead.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:53:34 -0000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:31:30 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:ewiN5.13207$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:kBgN5.123491$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>you
>> > what

>> > Actually, it does in most cases. A .doc file has a Word icon beside it,
>an
>> > XLS file has an Excel icon beside the attachment etc.
>>
>> Neat - why don't they draw a picture of a bug when the attachment
>> has a virus?
>
>How could they know?
>Let me ask it again: How could Outlook know, for crying out loud?!

        They could make Outhouse do that fancy-schmancy COM thing
        that Lemmings sometimes like to brag about...

--

  Q:    What do you call a WASP who doesn't work for his father, isn't a
        lawyer, and believes in social causes?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:58:38 -0000

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:51:08 -0800, Bruce Schuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Goldhammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:TN4N5.36070$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:56:15 -0800,
>> Simon Cooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Goldhammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:%N3N5.35894$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >No; it's not designed for server applications.
>>

>> Then why is Schuck reccommending a migration path from
>> Access to MS SQL server?
>
>You know why. Access is both a great database development tool for small to
>medium applications, and a very good front end for Oracle, SQL Server and
>other RDBMS designed for thousands of users.
>
>There is no such equivalent tool for Linux.

        Sure there is: JBuilder.

[deletia]
--

  Bit off more than my mind could chew,
  Shower or suicide, what do I do?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:57:46 +0200

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:jCiN5.13208$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8u44ts$8ld$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > None of my Unix mailers will run a shell script at all, period.  I
have
> > > to save it to a file and set the "x" bit.  I count this as a good
> > > thing, since I can't think of any _good_ reason why I'd want scripts
> > > run when I simply "open" them.  This makes it a lot harder to fool
> > > people.
> >
> > Probably, but it also make it troublesome for nonexperiance user to find
> > them (I once had someone who couldn't find a *really* important file,
why?
> > because it wasn't on its desktop.)
> > BTW, how hard would it be to make your unix mailer run a shell script? I
> > mean, saving it to a temp dir and setting the x bit themselves.
>
> The shell is happy to accept piped input, and most character based
> unix mailers will let you pipe to anything you want (GUI versions
> may or may not deal with pipes).   The point is that it is the
> recipient deciding how to process the message explicitly.

Dito for Outlook, you get to choose if to use the default for this file or
to save it to the disk and use any variety of tools to disect/analyze/view
it.

> > By default, outlook would do the same, users are igoring this and
getting
> > fucked up, their sole fault.
>
> No, outlook lets the sender decide how an attachment is processed
> and the selection is hidden from the recipient as he guesses the right
> answer for the yes/no answer to the only choice that hasn't been
> taken away.

Here is the message outlook gives you:

"Opening:
<filename>
___
Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer. It
is important to to be certain that this file is from a trustwhorty source.

What do you want to do with the file?

[] Open it.
[*] (default) Save it to disk.

[*] (default) always ask me about this file type?

[okay] [cancel]"

If the user is incapable of reading two sentences of very easy-to-understand
english, what can you expect Outlook to do? Ignore the user and refuse to do
anything with the file?

What is the yes or no question? At what point you don't have a choice?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:57:51 +0200

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:zfjN5.13212$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> By the way - does anyone happen to know if  IIS suffers from
> slow clients in the same way?  That is, if requests consume a
> lot of resources to generate, can it release them before the
> page is completely set back?  Does it make a difference if
> these resources are running in or out of process?

ISTR that it does, there are ways to limit the amount of resources each
client access.
ASP, for example, can be set to only take X CPU precentage and by default
time out within 90 seconds.

> > > Do your comparisons with the same backend database.
> >
> > Well...the point is that Microsft/IIS/SQL server are fast and
inexpensive
> in
> > combination.
>
> And apache/php/mod_perl/MsSQL are fast and free.

> easy
> > > too.
> > >
> > > Using mod_perl you get all of the CPAN code for free.
> >
> > How fast is it?
>
> It is as about as fast as you can get without losing any of the
> capabilities of apache.  Basically you link a perl interpreter
> into the apache process so there is no start-up time involved.
> Perl normally makes a compile pass over a script, turning it
> into tokens that it executes in the next pass.  Mod_perl
> caches the compiled tokens in memory to save the compile
> pass on the next run.   You can pre-load perl code at startup
> and that will be inherited by all of the forked child processes
> as copy-on-write shared memory.  Apache on unix uses a
> pre-forking model so there is no connect-time delay.  Many
> of the perl modules are actually shared C libraries wrapped
> with a standard mechanism to convert variables back and
> forth, so you may end up using bits of perl as glue between
> the web request/response and an assortment of C or C++
> libraries that do the bulk of the work.   For example to
> connect to a database you would normally use perl's DBI
> module (the common front end with a standard perl interface)
> and on of the many DBD modules that connect to specific
> backends.  The DBD's typically link in the C client library
> for a particular database.  Likewise if you are doing image
> manipulation you would want to use a module where the
> bulk of the work is done by a compiled C library instead
> of interpreted perl.

ASP works much the same way, your code get interepted the first time that
it's called, afterward, it's already compiled and ready to be called.
ASP+ save the compiled results to the HD and saves you the overhead of
recompiling scripts if you restart the server.
If you change something in the script, IIS will recompile it, and save it to
disk, any old threads will keep the old version until they die, all new
threads will get the new version. Same for compotent DLLs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 21:03:13 -0000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:37:11 +0200, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 19:02:35 GMT, Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >
>> >"James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:3a05882a$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>software
>> >and

>an
>> >>

>> >Or update to Mandrake 7.2.   Time-consuming but trivial and worth it.
>>
>> Alternately, he could have merely put some forethought into
>> his consumer decisions. Since he was unware that at least 2
>> Linux distros have supported USB out of the box for at least
>> 2 minor revisions so far, forethought is perhaps something
>> he's not capable of.
>
>Wrong.  I frequently check for Linux developments at sites such as
>www.linuxtoday.com and guess that Redhat 7.0 and Mandrake 7.2 might support
>my Epson Perfection 610 scanner.  That is why I started downloading it some

        Yet, despite of this ALLEGED forethough, you still chose to
        unecessarily go with a product with a relatively new interface
        rather than one that is time tested and pretty much gauranteed
        to work with Linux regardless of which distro you picked.

>time ago.
>But I am looking forward to the first distro to have kernel 2.4.

        Why? USB is already shipping in both Suse and Mandrake.

[deletia]

        If I can find someone in the office with a USB printer I
        might even borrow it from them and see how Mandrake does
        with it.

        Although, despite the fact that the people I work with are
        bleeding edge to the point of giving away Matrox G400 cards,
        I doubt I will be able to scrounge one up.

--

  A healthy male adult bore consumes each year one and a half times his own
  weight in other people's patience.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 21:03:32 -0000

--