conspiracy to overturn the First and Fourth Amendments ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:03:21 +0200

> Said Stefaan A Eeckels in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 29 Apr 2001

> >Well, one of my colleagues is writing an application to a Java
> >.jar that's not yet implemented (I finished the spec, he started
> >on his application after about the third draft, when we felt it
> >was stable enough). I'll have the classes implemented when he'll
> >start testing. Hint: writing a program != coding. There's a lot
> >to do before the first line of code is written, or before the
> >first test is run.
>
> That's like saying "writing a book != authoring", and illustrates
> clearly why everyone gets so confused by software copyright.

Here is a perfectly legal API:

Function named 'printDataFromDataBase', whose parameters are a IP record[*],
an unsigned 16 bits number defining the port, three strings, the first
defining username, the second password, the third the SQL statement for the
database, and a printing destination. The function doesn't have a return
value.
The function takes that data that the data base returned and print it to the
ostream object.

[*] IP record defined as having four unsigned 8 bits number, whose names are
one, two, three, four.

No code, but a perfectly legal API.

Personally, I think that this is more readable:

void printDataFromDataBase(IP,unsigned short Port,std::string Userame,
std::string Password, std::string SQL, std::ostream printTo); //Print the
data from the database to the printTo object. IP is defined as struct
IP{     unsigned char one,two,three,four; };

But that is a matter of personal taste.

Since you have so far failed to show *any* understanding in how programmers
work, what make you think that you can comment about APIs?

You know what, here is another example, this time with no code or code-like
english.
Java, you know about Java, right?
Java has an extensive set of APIs. Those APIs works *exactly* the same all
over the place.
I can assure you that the mechanism of fetching a a file over HTTP in Linux,
Mac & Windows is completely different.
But if I write a program in Java that fetch a file over HTTP, I know it
would work no matter where I use it.
How come? Because, while the implentations are different, the API is the
same.

Is this make things clearer to you?

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Breaking into the Unix field: FreeBSD vs Linux (RH7)
Date: 30 Apr 2001 14:04:38 -0600

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >>    - The "init" mechanism.  (Linux distributions, sans Slackware, use
> >>      SysV-style scripts in /etc/init.d/ or /etc/rc.d/init.d/, whereas
> >>      *BSDs and Slackware lump all startup code together in a few
> >>      scripts
> >>      such as rc.local).  Most commercial UNIX flavors do it the SysV
> >>      way, which when you think about it is superior.
>
> Redhat seems to have decided that one isn't enough: it's got the whole
> SysV init stuff and rc.loclc, rc.sysinit.

So does my AIX box.

Big deal.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,us.military.army
Subject: Re: Primary and secondary missions
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:04:57 -0400

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > No, you have it backwards.  Propagating DNA is the primary mission.
> > Getting laid is merely a supporting operation.
>
> A Social Darwinist.  How quaint.  I thought Social Darwinism was limited
> to survivalists squatting in their bunkers discussing their imminent
> world domination.

Any genes that don't get successfully passed on to members of the next
generation that THEY THEMSELVES reproduce are.....eliminated.

In other words....genetic success is NOT determined by having children,
it's determined by whether or not one has grandchildren.

Is any of this getting through to you?

> --
> You don't have much to say about the length
> of your life, but you have a lot to say
> about the breadth and depth.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Windows is a virus
Date: 30 Apr 2001 14:36:51 -0500

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:21:17 +1200, jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>At this point in time Windows is a far, far superior desktop operating
>system. I would enjoy watching a decent Lawyers' Secretary booting up Linux
>and having a good cackle at StarOffice.

I think you're confusing the term "desktop OS" with "electronic typewriter".

>Look I run a partition of Linux and it excites me. I think it has great
>potential, but as a desktop OS it is severely lacking. I never see this ng
                      ^^^^^^^^^
                      typewriter

>actually making the IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE of a server and desktop operating
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                           typewriter

>system. I think that Linux (as I have read in this newsgroup) makes a very
>excellent and robust server. But what about the desktop?
                                                 ^^^^^^^
                                                 typewriter

>IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:
>Q: Why is Bill Gates rich?
>A: Because he made the computer easier to access for the MAJORITY of users
                                                                      ^^^^^
                                                                     typists

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft and McCartheism
Date: 30 Apr 2001 14:07:37 -0600

Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > If you're not un-American, then you have nothing to hide.
> >
> > Microsoft wants you to name names:
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18589.html
> >
> >    "While stopping just short of claiming that anyone buying
> >    a PC without an OS is a de facto criminal, MS obviously
> >    reckons that doing so would be outré enough to qualify
> >    one for suspicion, or referral to a shrink. After all,
> >    no sane person is going to muck up a perfectly good new box
> >    with BeOS or Linux or something freaky like that. Right? ®"
>
> I'm getting a little sick of people posting anti-MS stories from the
> frigging Register. Everyone knows it's a biased site so it's usually
> irrelevant what they have to say. I personally don't pay attention to
> them.
>
> Please people, post from a sight other than the Register every once in a
> while.

I'm sure C-Net will "set the record straight" in the next few
hours....  and so the bartering continues.

I wonder if "The Register" has ever been visited by the BSA.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:09:06 GMT

Yea but Windows has all the applications and device support that
ordinary people are interested in using.

Linux has nothing......

Go compile a kernel or something....

Flatfish

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unwelcome changes in Linux advocacy.
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:09:24 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : What's the point of being civil with pathalogical liars.
>
> : I think they're shit-eating donkey-rapers, and so I feel no need
> : to refrain from letting everyone else know that these "[Mafia$oft]
> : can do no wrong" weenies fuck livestock in their spare time.
>
> Nope.  We already covered this.  No farm animal would ever let itself
> be f*cked by a Wintroll.  :)
>
> Seriously though . . . .
>
> I've always believed that it's a good idea in advocacy to be civil
> even if your opponents are not.  It really does a lot to enhance one's
> own credibility, even as the donkey-ra^H^H^H^H^H^H opponents do their
> best to detract from their own.

Thank you for demonstrating the strength of my position :-)

> Joe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 1 May 2001 LXNY General Meeting: the MPAA vs. 2600 case
and the conspiracy to overturn the First and Fourth Amendments
Date: 30 Apr 2001 16:09:49 -0400

On Tuesday 1 May 2001, at 10:00 am, in the Federal Court at 40 Centre Street,
in Foley Square on the Island of the Manahattoes, the argument of the
appeal in the MPAA vs. 2600 case will be heard.

This case is, along with the many yet to be filed cases dealing with mass
spying on home users, the most central of United States cases dealing with
the preservation of fundamental freedoms now under attack by a conspiracy
of cartoon and software and hardware vendors, oligarchs of Tin Pan Alley,
and the secret police of several large dictatorships.

2600 will hold a press conference immediately after the oral argument,
likely about noon.

See below for further information.

Also on Tuesday 1 May 2001, LXNY will have a general meeting.

This meeting is free and open to the public.

The meeting runs from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm.  After the meeting full and
precise instructions on how to get to our traditional place of refreshment
will be given in clear.

Thanks to support of the IBM Corporation, the meeting is at their building
at 590 Madison Avenue at East 57th Street on the Island of Manhattan.
Enter the building at the corner of Madison and 57th and ask at the desk
for the floor and room number.

This meeting will be a general discussion and organizational meeting.

Here is a quote from

http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases/20010426_eff_appeal_pr.html

  edit-level="light">

   Cindy Cohn, EFF Legal Director
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   +1 415-505-7621

   New York - In a case involving free speech rights and fair use of DVDs,
   the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals will hear the appeal of 2600 Magazine in
   Universal v. Remeirdes at 10:00 a.m. on May 1, 2001. The hearing will be
   held in Courtroom 506 of the United States Courthouse at 40 Centre Street
   (at Foley Square) in Manhattan, New York City.

   Dean Kathleen Sullivan of Stanford Law School will argue the case on
   behalf of the magazine. 2600 Magazine will hold a short press conference
   immediately after the hearing in Foley Square Plaza, directly across from
   the courthouse.

   The case arises from 2600 Magazine's publication of and linking to a
   computer program called DeCSS in November, 1999 as part of its news
   coverage about DVD decryption software. DeCSS decrypts movies on DVDs
   that have been encrypted by a computer program called CSS. Decryption of
   DVD movies is necessary in order to make fair use of the movies as well
   as to play DVD movies on computers running the Linux operating system,
   among other uses.

   Universal Studios, along with other members of the Motion Picture
   Association of America, filed suit against the magazine in January 2000
   seeking an order that the magazine no longer publish the program.

   The Studios object to the publication of DeCSS because they claim that it
   can be used as part of a process to infringe copyrights on DVD movies.

   In the case, formally titled Universal v. Remeirdes, et. al., the
   District Court granted a preliminary injunction against publication of
   DeCSS on January 20, 2000. By August 2000, after an abbreviated trial,
   the Court prohibited 2600 Magazine from even linking to DeCSS.

   2600 has appealed the trial court's ruling.

   http://eff.org/IP/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases/20010319_ny_eff_appeal_reply_brief.html

     More information about this case is available on the EFF website at:

                     http://eff.org/IP/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases

http://www.eff.org
http://cryptome.org/cryptout.htm#DVD-DeCSS
http://www.2600.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/30/technology/30CYBERLAW.html
http://www10.nytimes.com/2001/04/06/technology/06CYBERLAW.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/27/technology/27CYBERLAW.html
http://www.sciam.com/2001/0301issue/0301cyber.html

Upcoming events:

There will be an Install Fest within the next few weeks.  We will have a
decent net connection and many helpers, so if you are new to free operating
systems, now is a good time to assemble your hardware.  The best way to
install any OS new to you is with people right there who are able and
willing to help.

The GNUbies will meet, though we do not yet know where.

http://www.gnubies.org

The last Refund Day was a success.  The next will carry the battle into the
courts.  If you are considering buying an IBM style "personal computer"
from a large vendor who does not offer a choice of operating systems, and
you would like to help in the fight for fair dealing in the mass market for
peecees, come to the 1 May 2001 LXNY meeting.

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org