From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:36:31 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fr2mu$gnv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:mT6U6.68368$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Sometimes. What I have here is a question: how
> > is IBM involved in WFC, really?
>
> I think the question is why, rather then how.

My question is "how"; I'll ask why once
I know how.

[snip]
> > I think MS's software is frequently well
> > designed, and often better designed than the
> > competition.
> >
> > They rarely get the implementation right on
> > the first try; it's the good designs they use that
> > allow them to overcome this in later
> > revisions of their software.
>
> Okay, this is a rational explanation to MS' Ver 3.0 sympthom.
> Scarry!

I've heard it said that MS uses fresh-out-of-school
grads for a lot of implementation work, but
experienced developers for design.

I dunno if this is true, but it explains a lot,
if it is.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:29:00 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Wasn't "Barkto" posting on something like a newsgroup?
> Compuserve.  That must have been something like eight years ago.
>> A couple of years ago,  the man who headed the shill division (whatever
>> they called it) when Barkto was active gave an interview.
> I must have missed that.  Is it online?

I don't know.  I'm a little disappointed that I didn't at least keep a
copy of it myself.  If you find it,  let me know.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:39:31 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Laura M. Hagan" wrote:
> >>
> >> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >>     So, as I said before, Kulkis, you're in favor of women all becoming
> >> lesbians?  Since heterosexual sex transmits disease, after all, and
> >> lesbian sex has the lowest disease transmission rate.  Doesn't that
> >> make sense?
>
> > Monogomous heterosexuals have no such problems.
>
> Neither do monogomous homosexuals.  They do exist you know.

Only lesbos.

Male homosexuals are notorious for being incredibly promiscous....

> Also, most heterosexuals are *not* monogomous,

Kinsey's research was flawed....in fact, deliberately so, and then, he
cooked books, too.  Even the Kinsey Institute for Sexual Research
admits to this.

>                                               and 20% of heterosexuals
> engage in regular anal sex---which is exactly the most common form of
> HIV transmission among male homosexuals---just like heterosexuals.
>
> Since there are more heterosexuals engaged in regular anal sex than
> there are HOMOSEXUALS AT LARGE, methinks your true enemy is yourself.
>
> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Corpus Callosum)
Subject: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:42:07 GMT

<flame>

Why are KDE and Gnome both attempting to replicate Microsoft Windows
when technologies like XML and CORBA would make something so much
more elegant possible?

Why are they still coding user interfaces in C or C++ when XML would
be so much better?

Consider this: Imagine an XML markup language for defining user
interfaces using GTK or QT.  Tags might look something like this:

<button name="cancel" inheritThemes="yes" text="Cancel"
  onClick="some::kind::of::object:address()"/>

Then every user interface including the desktop could be declared
in XML.  Users could customize interfaces or write.. get this.. whole
new ones that draw upon the functionality of multiple applications!

Imagine being able to write your own XML interface definition to
merge, say, a seperate mailreader and web browser together!  Or a
code editor and a debugger?  Don't like how the menus work in
your application?  Open a text editor and change them!

It would also be much easier and more flexible for app authors since
they literally would not have to worry about the pains of X and GUI
programming... they could just write their XML to call their event
functions through an ORB of some kind.  Applications could even
be controlled over the network via CORBA or something similar.

That would be like, totally 2001 man!

But instead the KDE and Gnome teams are sitting there listening
to Totally 80s trying to duplicate Windoze and coding UIs in
C and C++ that look and feel like Windoze when even M$ is
gradually moving towards something like I mentioned above.

Taaaaake onnnnn meeee.... take on me.... taaaake meeeeee
ooooon! ... I'lll beeee goooone...

Love shack! Baby, Love shack!

</flame>

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:34:49 -0600

In article <qJST6.121915$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Weevil"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Morelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > "The obvious mathematical breakthrough [for breaking encryption
>> > schemes] would be development of an easy way to factor large prime
>> > numbers."
>> >  -- Bill Gates
>>
>> Is this quote for real?  Where did you find it?
> In "The Road Ahead," by Bill Gates, 1995.  I picked up a 1st edition
> copy for one dollar in a bargain bin.  The first edition is a moderately
> entertaining read, but I'm told that later editions corrected lots of
> bad predictions and jaw-dropping examples (such as the above quote) of
> the fabled Gates intellect.
> --

Excellent.  I was aware of the bad predictions,  especially about the
internet.  There was a funny article about that at Salon.  It's clear
Gates was less aware of the internet in 1995 than the average
computer user was a year or two earlier.  But I never knew about
this little gem about factoring primes.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:53:13 GMT

> >That is only because Symantec's Java machine (which Netscape licenses)
for
> >some strange reason does *not* support the WFC delegates feature (even
> >though Symantec could have done so, as they are one of WFC's creators).
>
> They could have technically, but they needed access to MS source code,
> so licensing probably would prevent them from doing something that might
> directly help Java or Netscape.  No such a "strange" reason, just an
> anti-competitive one.

They don't really need MS's source to do delegates,
any more than they need Sun's source to do the
rest of Java.

[snip]
> >I'm not saying that it would have been prohibitively difficult; I'm
simply
> >saying it wouldn't have made smart business sense.
>
> Business sense for a profit-seeking competitive firm, or for a criminal
> monopoly?  Does what makes sense for a criminal monopoly actually
> qualify as "smart business?"  Considering it is illegal and all?

You seem very sure that there is *no* overlap
between what a "profit seeking competitive firm"
might do and what a "criminal monopoly" might do.

It is not obvious why competitive strategies
that you would approve of (if there are any)
would not work for MS.

[snip]
> MFC is an API; no licensing is necessary or possible.

No. MFC is a framework and to use it you must
have the source. Licensing is required. Win32 is
the API under it, but it is not MFC.

>  Did these other
> developers license Microsoft code to support this API?

No. They write their own frameworks. Because
quite simply, MFC isn't very good.

Amusing factoid: MFC is reasonably portable,
and can compile using compilers other than
Microsofts. Borland's Delphi framework is
otherwise- it uses special Borland-specific
C++ extensions, so it won't work on anybody
else's compiler.

The extension, by the way, is quite a lot
like J++'s delegates.

Is Borland a villain? Is what they did reprehensible?

>  That is a
> different thing; it indicates incompetence on MS's part, rather than any
> third party, that you have to license MS code to get the MFC API to
> work.

You need source to get any framework to work; in a sense,
that's what makes a framework different from an API;
it's why frameworks are usually easier to work with, and
it's also why can abandon backwards compatibility with
comparative impunity.

[snip]
> >Microsoft was also sensible enough to realize that some developers didn't
> >want any part of Microsoft development tools for reasons having nothing
> >do with their quality (or perceived lack of it).
>
> Thus, the churn strategy to ensure that quality had nothing to do with
> selling Windows development tools.  I do *not* understand why people
> *assume* that a product has competitive merit, when it is sold by a
> monopolist.  It just makes no bloody sense.

Some of us use these products, and know how
good they are. (Or aren't, in some cases)

> >Microsoft concentrated
> >mostly on the higher-order languages (C++, Cobol. Fortran, etc.).  It
took
> >Windows 95 for Microsoft to release Visual Basic upon an unsuspecting
> >planet.
>
> Microsoft doesn't "concentrate" on anything but protecting what Gates
> calls their "singularity".  What the federal government calls a
> violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act.

No, he's right. Microsoft has an assembler, but the bulk
of their efforts in this area has gone into higher-level
kinds of things- especially IDEs, actually.

[snip]
> >True, they *could* handle it all themselves.
>
> What on earth makes you think this is true?  History clearly and
> completely indicates that the truth is quite the opposite.  They have
> been unable to handle it themselves at all; why would you suddenly
> assume that they could but simply 'choose' not to?  Isn't that kind of,
> I don't know, stupid?

You confuse your own claims with "history" here;
the notion that MS has only written a small fraction of
the software sold under their label is, well,
unique to yourself.

[snip]
> >Merely looking at OS/2 should disabuse Justice of that notion.
>
> Why?  OS/2's Windows compatibility is known to be imperfect.

It was. It was the best. Better Win16 compatibility
than Windows 95, as I understand it.

>  What
> competitive value will you provide customers some reason to put up with
> this inadequacy caused by Microsoft's poor design and keen-ness to use
> "churn" to prevent competition?

If you stick to developing a Windows-compatiblity
system, you will lose because MS will always
be ahead of you- working on new features while
you copy what they already have.

You need to run out in front of the parade.

[snip- Sun & Oracle bet on Unix and...]
> >And are *continuing* to lose.
>
> "Continuing to lose" while making a profit equals "continuing to win".
> Market share is only an issue for monopolists.

Oh, come on Max. You're kidding, right? You
don't believe *this*, do you?

Everyone cares about marketshare, unless
they want to wind up like Apple has.

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 08:23:30 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:57:55 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Shame there isn't a "thou shalt not troll" commandment :-)
> >
> >How about "Thou shalt not bear false witness." According to most Christian
> >theological view points, I know they are wide and varied, Flatfish is
> >going to hell.
>
> Nah, there's a loophole in Christianity meaning you can do what you
> like then repent on your death bed, and still get into heaven.

Christian fire insurance!

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas Siebert)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 21:53:39 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Keane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>In short, expect AIX, HP-UX, IRIX and other niche Unices to gradually
>>find their way to whatever pastures aging OSes go to,

>They've been there a few years now.

IBM and HP would be surprised to hear this (SGI perhaps less so)  The same
is often said about VMS, OS/400, MPE and other oddball proprietary OSes,
but each of those represent multi billion dollar revenues per year for
their respective owners.  And AIX and HP-UX are certainly still providing
more revenue than OS/400 and MPE.

I'd hate to have to work with those dinosaur OSes, but I understand
consultants with years of knowledge in them do better than I do as a
consultant doing HP-UX, Solaris, EMC, etc (let alone anyone doing Linux
or MS stuff)  Maybe when those things are considered dinosaurs I'll be
the old fart with knowledge the young guys can't be bothered to learn,
and I'll _really_ be making the big bucks.  Maybe Y2.038K will pull me
out of retirement like Y2K did for all the COBOL graybeards :)

--
Douglas Siebert                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have discovered a remarkable proof which this .sig is too small to contain!

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:55:26 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    flatfish> On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 21:00:14 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    >> Fear makes a person small.
>
>    flatfish> And poisoning a childs mind is sick....
>
> Yes, lead poisoning is a bad thing.
>
> However teaching kids about homosexuality is nothing
> like that.

You're right.  It's much worse.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 18:01:24 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Recruits?
> >
> >Absolutely not.
> >
> >Basic training is all about recognizing, alleviateing, and combating
> >dangers of all sorts.
>
> Rule #1:  Don't volunteer to go where people will be trying to kill you.

Rule #0: if one is a male individual, and thus, subject to being drafted,
volounteer, so that you can CHOOSE your Military Occupational Specialty.

Draftees are invariably funneled into the infantry.

> --
> Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:06:41 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:18:55 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Laura M. Hagan" wrote:
>>
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > There are three types of homosexuals:
>> >
>> > a) those who have AIDS
>> > b) those who will get AIDS
>> > c) those who will get die before they get a chance to get AIDS.
>>
>>     d) Lesbians, who have a lower chance of getting AIDS than
>> do either male or female heterosexuals.
>>     Idiot.
>
>What's your pre-occupation with lesbos?

She's saying they have a lower chance of spreading disease than either
male or female heterosexuals. Judging by your stance on male gay sex,
you would logically only advocate lesbian sex, and no other sexual
contact. If not, why not?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:06:43 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:49:26 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Laura M. Hagan" <doesn'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >     d) Lesbians, who have a lower chance of getting AIDS than
>> > do either male or female heterosexuals.
>> >     Idiot.
>>
>> What's your pre-occupation with lesbos?
>
>    Why do you want to pretend they don't exist?

It brings back bad memories of his ex wife.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:06:45 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:15:31 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"." wrote:

>> > Please document one socialist policy which I support.
>>
>> You are asking me to document your twisted, entirely incorrect definition of
>> right wing, conservative bigot.
>
>Wrong.  EVERY right wing regime has been....one based on fascist principles.
>
>Fascism is a form of socialism, which is distinct from Communism (which is
>another form of socialism).

Do you even know what socialism is? I somehow doubt it.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:06:49 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:17:59 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Stephen Cornell wrote:

>> a) they have in the past had P
>> b) they will at some point in the future have P
>> c) They will never have P
>>
>> Of course, Kulkis got this structure a bit wrong, because there is a
>> possibility that someone gets a _chance_ to catch AIDS, but not
>> actually _catch_ it.
>
>Which changes the validity of my statement...not at all.

Your statement is perfectly valid, but completely useless. That's like
saying, people are either dead or not dead.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:06:51 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:20:23 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

>> Be specific.
>
>The same as any other BEHAVIOR which is bad for society:
>
>       We punish the BEHAVIOR, not the urge.

Are you advocating punishment for gay sex?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:06:53 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:22:39 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Laura M. Hagan" wrote:
>>
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > The right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins.
>> >
>> > The right to collect and trade deadly, communicable diseases ends
>> > where MY health begins.
>>
>>     So, as I said before, Kulkis, you're in favor of women all becoming
>> lesbians?  Since heterosexual sex transmits disease, after all, and
>> lesbian sex has the lowest disease transmission rate.  Doesn't that
>> make sense?
>
>Monogomous heterosexuals have no such problems.

1) Neither would monogamous homosexuals.
2) Monogamy is unnatural and wrong.

>Hope that helps, lesbo.

You really do have an unhealthy obsession with homosexuality.