From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan)
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 05:39:47 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 05:32:09 +0200, "Ayende Rahien"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You didn't get my point at all, did you?
>I tested the system for security, and got the results that I *expected*.
>The meduim secured ones.

To be honest, I came in on that post and it just appeared that you
were trying to say, gee, it doesn't work, here is a javascript to fix
this little problem. I went into flame mode. Sorry for that.

>Beside, a MCSE that doesn't have enough programming experiance to understand
>that simple a javascript isn't worth a dime. MCSE is supposed to be able to
>write a VBS/Bat/JS/CMD/WSH files to automate tasks, javascript is the
>standard when writing webpages (I use it for my pages, even thought I write
>for mainly IE audiance.)
>
>BTW, I *really* doubt that you know more than a MCSE, as I said,
>understanding this script is a trivial matter to anyone with a some
>knowledge in the internet. MCSE has to have at least some passing knowledge
>in this matter.

I actually said our MSCE.  And please don't patronize me. You "really"
don't know me.

>MCSE also better read Windows manuals, that is what they are getting paid
>for.
>And this javascript does nothing at all to your computer.
>

>> 2) My Home computer IE5.0 Settings are set to high, Active script
>> disabled, windows scripting host disabled. MS Java fuckin disabled and
>> I still got notepad to run off IE with both
>> file://c:\winnt\notepad.exe and
>> c:\winnt\notepad.exe.
>
>Because you changed the defaults.
>You can tell IE to always open a file type, if you so wish, and apperantely
>you did it.
>You can change it by opening my computer and then:
>Tools>Folder Options>File Types> (file type you want to change) >Advance >
>and then you check "Confirm open after download"
>

>> BTW, My Netscape just asked if I wanted to save it.
>
>Because you didn't change the defaults.
>IIRC, netscape would also give you the option to remember if to save or open
>file types.
>

>> 3) I disabled my macros at work, set the MS macrovirus protection to
>> on and still ended up with 4 viruses that were floating on our network
>> as I opened files just to do my frickin job.  I had to explain to my
>> MSCE about creating a VB Script to e-mail everyone to run prior to
>> logging off that night so the shit wouldn't be on the network for
>> another year. MS is shit. No matter how much you try to defend it, it
>> is still shit. It smells like shit, it looks like shit, it works like
>> shit. Just SHIT!!!!
>

>No, you MCSE is shit.
>"MSCE" doesn't even exist, for that matter, that may explain it.
>If he was a real MCSE, he would've write a VBS/JS/CMD/BAT/WSH file and put
>it in everyone's logon or logoff scripts.

Thanks, can I tell him someone agrees with me ;-)
The look on his face when he said he was getting Norton on every
computer and it would take a month, and I suggested it on the network
with the script. Priceless.

>> p.s.  If you know so much, explain this, because I have no freakin
>> clue...
>> I was cleaning up my mom's computer to make it sorta safe for the
>> internet, and when I opened IE to change the settings (blank page was
>> the default) and no phone line attached, the following popped up in
>> the address bar...
>> http://www.microsoft.com/?redir.dll/IEversion5.0/and I forget the
>> rest, but it ended with my mother's initials. The same thing happened
>> to me with Outlook Express so why the fuck is MS getting notified
>> every time we turn on IE or OE????
>
>IIRC, that happens the first time you open IE, and only if you open it from
>the quick luanch, it takes 2 seconds to change it.
>I may be wrong, because opening from the quick launch is practically the
>only way I open IE.

Actually it was off the desktop for her IE. It was off the quicklaunch
for my OE (which I no longer have :-)). When I visit tomorrow will
check to see if that fixes it. Thanks for the advice.

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ok I'll give a  little...but just a little...
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 06:09:20 GMT

fucking hell! I can't believe it, I had to double check this post, and
yes it is definately from him/her.    What next, Chad declares that he
is actually a partially bald, 40 something who is a UNIX admin, my god,
Claire has seen the light!

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The real question about Claire Lynn
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 06:10:09 GMT

sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me :)

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:02:37 +0200
From: Karen Rosin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which distribution do I get?

If you are beginning your way in the Linux world, it will help you to start with "main
stream" Linux, e.g. Red Hat. I would have installed Red Hat 6.1 or 6.2 (not 7 yet...).

If you want to know regarding software that will help you maintain Red Hat
distribution, let me know and I'll try helping you ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 23 Nov 2000 07:11:14 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:40:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>As of Mandrake 7.2:
>
>1. Internet Connection Sharing is at least as easy to set up as it is
>under Windows.

Cool. Haven't tried it but sounds promising.  Do they have dial-on-demand
setup ? pppd can be configured to do this and it's really nice.

>2. Canon Printers seem well supported by Cups.

Printer support is improving but is still spotty.

>4. Monitor/Video card easy.

Only if the video card is compatible. (that's if-and-only-if).

I think the video card compatibility situation has actually been pretty good
for the most part over the past two years or so. The main thing that's new in
Mandrake is 3d support OOTB for some video cards.

>Ok so I now decree, in public not to whine about any of the above
>because evidently somebody at Mandrake has been listening to my rants.S

Hahahaha ... as if they'd bother to listen to the noise here.

>I find it a big coincidence that almost ALL my rantings get fixed in
>one release.

I don't. Do you think that you were the only person concerned about hardware
compatibility/support/auto-configuration and dialup connectivity ?

>Ok... So now go and enjoy your Turkey day and make sure and hug your
>mom or wife for getting up at 6am to start the miserable bird :)

I'm vegetarian.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 Quick Review
Date: 23 Nov 2000 07:14:59 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:29:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 02:52:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

It's worth mentioning that it's possible to configure dial-on-demand,
so that you can have the Linux box automatically connect whenever
one of the Windows boxes tries to get a webpage.

cheers,

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:30:53 GMT

kiwiunixman wrote:

> fucking hell! I can't believe it, I had to double check this post, and
> yes it is definately from him/her.    What next, Chad declares that he
> is actually a partially bald, 40 something who is a UNIX admin, my god,
> Claire has seen the light!
>
> kiwiunixman
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > As of Mandrake 7.2:
> >
> > 1. Internet Connection Sharing is at least as easy to set up as it is
> > under Windows.
> > 2. Canon Printers seem well supported by Cups.
> > 3. Sound blaster Live more or less works from default install.
> > 4. Monitor/Video card easy.
> > 5.Wheel Mouse easy (Logitech users choose Intellimouse not Logitech)
> > 6. No brainer installation onto an already setup with Windows system.
> > I purposely tried to kill the Windows partition and it warned me twice
> > each time. Boot loader worked fine with Win2k.
> >
> > Ok so I now decree, in public not to whine about any of the above
> > because evidently somebody at Mandrake has been listening to my rants.
> > I find it a big coincidence that almost ALL my rantings get fixed in
> > one release.
> >
> > Ok... So now go and enjoy your Turkey day and make sure and hug your
> > mom or wife for getting up at 6am to start the miserable bird :)
> >
> > claire

 Now if we can just get her/him/it to admit that the CLI is just as if not
more powerful than a GUI we will have really gotten somewhere.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:36:23 GMT

"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [...]
> involve using some form of Windows (NT, 98, 95).  I definitely try to
> stay away from those kind of jobs, but depending on location, it's not
> always feasible.  For example, Microsoft is always sticking their butts
> in this state (PA), offering all kinds of services to various businesses
> and universities in this state.
>
> Linux takes a second seat to my favorite OS, which is FreeBSD.  But,
> it's still worlds better than working with that piece of you know what!
>
> Unfortunately, it looks like the best way to work with unix systems on
> the job is to find a job as a unix sysadmin.  I've already checked this
> out.  I'm an electrical engineer, and I love the field.  Unfortunately,
> almost every position I've come across involves Windows NT, 98, 2000, or
> 95.  For this reason, I've stayed away from the EE field.
>
> I figure that software engineers/developers have the best chance of
> choosing which OS they want to work with.  For example, as an engineer,
> you more or less have to use what they give you, and most of the time,
> it's NT or some other sh*t.  How many times have we seen this scenario:
> you are happily working at your workstation, which is running a nice OS,
> such as Solaris, BSD, or Linux.  That fatassed, balding manager comes in
> and says "Alright, all the Suns, DECs, and PC Workstations running Linux
> are history!  We're going to be running wonderful, state of the art,
> easy to use, user-friendly PC's running NT!  Isn't that great?"
>
> Hell no, it isn't great.  And I can name quite a few companies that have
> ditched their SPARCstations for PC's running NT.  The reason, I'm told,
> is that a lot of software has been ported from unix to NT!  Oh wow, and
> this is a good reason to switch?  Yechhhh....
>
> Another reason I'm told that unix boxes are being replaced by Windows NT
> machines is that well, you really don't need unix unless you need
> ultra-high computational performance.  Plus, Windows NT is so amazing
> with it's ultra-revolutionary clipboard.  Check this out:  you can copy
> data to the clipboard, you can go to another application, and you get to
> select which format you want to paste FROM, such as MS-Word, text,
> bitmap, etc. etc.  Yes, someone did tell me this.  Managers love this
> all important OLE feature MS operating systems offer.
>
> I had an interview recently, and the guy asked me which word processor I
> liked to use.  I said that, in a nutshell, I think word processors
> suck.  I told him I used html and LaTeX as a substitute.  His eyes got
> all BIG and stuff, and he just sat there, frozen, smiling incrediously,
> with his eyes big as baseballs.  You just knew what he was thinking:
> "WHAT??????!!!!!  He doesn't use Microsoft Word?"  And the worst part
> about it is, for most jobs, they look down on you if you refuse to use
> Word, as if using Microsoft Word is a prerequisite for computer
> literacy.
>
> Yeah, I know, I'm going to get slammed for not being "open-minded".

I'm not sure where you've ever worked as an electrical engineer, or tried to
work as an EE, but the EE world runs on Unix, and will for the foreseeable
future. There are some areas that have migrated to Windows, but not many. In
the integrated circuits field, where I work, the only OS in prevalent use is
Unix. Within that category, Solaris is the most common, followed by HPUX. I
have never talked to, interviewed with, or dealt with any company that isn't
running either Solaris or HPUX as their primary engineering platform.
Although some applications are available on NT/2k, there aren't enough to
get the entire job done. In addition, and just as significant, all of our
software people know Unix already. This might become a smaller concern in
the future, as languages like Perl and Python become more pervasive, but for
today, knowing the intricacies (and idiosyncracies) of Unix over NT is
enough to keep Unix locked in, regardless of any other argument.

While html and LaTex might seem like a viable substitute to you, they don't
to me. When I write a spec, it has to be usable by others within my company
and my customers. Neither html or LaTex fills that role today. You might try
presenting a LaTex document to a customer, but when I send them a file they
can open and use today, I have the upper hand. And you're toast.

I think the reason you haven't been hired has little to do with Windows.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 02:38:55 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> [...]
> select which format you want to paste FROM, such as MS-Word, text,
> bitmap, etc. etc.  Yes, someone did tell me this.  Managers love this
> all important OLE feature MS operating systems offer.
>
> I had an interview recently, and the guy asked me which word processor I
> liked to use.  I said that, in a nutshell, I think word processors
> suck.  I told him I used html and LaTeX as a substitute.  His eyes got
> all BIG and stuff, and he just sat there, frozen, smiling incrediously,
> with his eyes big as baseballs.  You just knew what he was thinking:
> "WHAT??????!!!!!  He doesn't use Microsoft Word?"  And the worst part
> about it is, for most jobs, they look down on you if you refuse to use
> Word, as if using Microsoft Word is a prerequisite for computer
> literacy.
>
> Yeah, I know, I'm going to get slammed for not being "open-minded".

Just do what I do.

In every interview, I say the magic words:

"Be aware, I will not take responsibility for failure of anything running
on or produced on a machine running using any crud produced by Microsoft."

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 02:42:28 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:13:56 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >>

> >vi editing is superior....hands don't leave the main keyboard area.
>
> For those learning vim, I recommend putting this in .vimrc ...
>
> :map <left> <Nop>
> :map <right> <Nop>
> :map <up> <Nop>
> :map <down> <Nop>
>
> :imap <left> <Nop>
> :imap <right> <Nop>
> :imap <up> <Nop>
> :imap <down> <Nop>

Absolutely.

Arrow keys are for inefficient editors.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 02:44:57 -0500

mark wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Byrns wrote:
> >
> >KMart Windows admins just about says it all.  When you your corporate culture puts
> >UNIX ahead of Windows you tend to get shitty NT admins.  Perhaps it's because you
> >nix-snobs treat them like second-class citizens?  Perhaps it's because their paid
> >less?  No wonder the only ones you can get to hire on and stay are losers.
> >

> It's probably unfair paying NT admins less, they should be paid at a premium
> like oil-rig workers, coal-miners and other people doing dangerous jobs.
>
> Mark

Fuck them for supporting such shit being used in the first place.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:51:45 GMT

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:52:27 GMT, Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

|I interfere with the discussion just to provide some factual
|informations.
|
|1)
|
|A Linux box, with KDE desktop (just to take a practical
|example) offers the following features:
|
|a) Softlinks (alias symlinks)- directory entries
|indistinguishable from the others, (except with special
|test) which point to a different entry in any directory. By
|any point of view (user, shell, application, remote access,
|etc.) they're just directory entries.
|
|b) Hardlinks - Duplicate directory entries, which point to
|the same file. They're completely indistinguishable, meaning
|that the same file may have two entries in two different
|directories, with different name, different owner, different
|rights, etc. Only the kernel keeps track of that, because
|deletion of a hard link doesn't imply deletion of the file,
|until all entries have been deleted.

Sorry, but 2 directory entries that are hard-links to the same file
will *always* have the same owner, group and permissions because
these belong to the *file* not to the directory entry.

These atributes are held in the files main inode, along with the
creation, modification and access timestamps and the list of
disk blocks that belong to the file.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I am finding installing a multi-function card needless reading.
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:45:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Welcome to Linux the "Build it Yourself" operating system.
>
> It takes about 30 seconds to install the same card under Windows BTW.
>
> claire

 Welcome to the WHY DONT YOU COMPLAIN TO YOUR HARDWARE VENDOR hour.
Just shut up you flaming jackass. This is free software writen by
people who sacrifice there own personal time to write the progams
and drivers. This is NOT some corporation that has millions of
dollars to spend on developing the hardware then writing the software
for it. If you have a piece of hardare that does NOT have a linux
driver then complain to them FIRST before you come here and shoot
off your mouth. Every time you post about unsuported hardware you just
ignore the truth. Just as you have ignored the truth through your long
and I must admit BOARING stay here in this NG.

I repeat from an earlier post of mine.

WHAT STUPIDITY.