Linux-Advocacy Digest #387, Volume #30           Thu, 23 Nov 00 19:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Ok I'll give a  little...but just a little... (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (.)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (.)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (.)
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (.)
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Ayende Rahien")
  Microsoft Encouraging OEMs to "protect" customers from pirate software ("Bennetts
family")
  Re: Microsoft Encouraging OEMs to "protect" customers from pirate software (Mig)
  Re: And yet another satisfied Linux user. (Edward Rosten)
  Re: Ok I'll give a  little...but just a little... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Best used box to purchase for linux system (Edward Rosten)
  Re: Ok I'll give a  little...but just a little... (Mig)
  Re: Linux for nitwits (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Microsoft = Ingsoc? They're clearly using some of the same tactics! (Mig)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (.)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Ok I'll give a  little...but just a little... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Ayende Rahien")
  Off-Topic:Test (Xavi Solsona)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Off-Topic:Test (Xavi Solsona)

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ok I'll give a  little...but just a little...
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:13:59 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As of Mandrake 7.2:

Cor, blimey guv'nor! It took you _this_ long to get Linux Mandrake 7.2?
I've already installed the updates!

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:17:58 +1300

> > This is just plain SUSPICIOUS.
>
> Change the setting of the shortcut in the quick launch menu.
> That is likely the cause of this.

A good try, but no...  I always start IE with the quick launch icon...
the shortcut is fine, it's IE that once in a while decides to connect to
MS.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:19:59 +1300

> Netmeeting phones home as well.  It's kind of unsurprising that Windows is
> so insecure - it needs to be in order to enable all these bits of soft-
> ware to phone back to Microsoft Headquarters so they can see what you're
> doing, or where you are, or who you are, or, well, what, exactly?
>
> Incidentally, last time I mentioned this someone responded very fast to
> say that you could disable this behaviour, but I've not been able to
> see how.  Maybe I need that MCSE :)

And in today's MCSE lesson...  how to make the fucking thing work the way
you want.

Tomorrow:  How to stop your computers reporting your hard drive
contents and bank details to Microsoft.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:22:59 +1300

> >No, I wasn't referring to office macro virii, I was talking about the
> >scripted email virii that could change shit on your computer as soon as
> >you read the HTML email, if you never changed your security settings by
> >default.  One specific example was kak, which changes the registry and
> >sends itself out as a signature.
>
> I wasn't aware of this.  Thanks for the info.  Got more?

I can't remember any, to be honest...  I only remember kak because I
actually saw it and had to remove it.  Bubbleboy is another one...  Maybe
you can find a list of related virii on the SARC webpage?

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:39:50 +1300

> > > Grow a clue.  uptime.exe works over the network.  And it reports
> accurate
> > > uptimes, even on NT4.
> >
> > Apparently only as long as your clock is accurate...
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.  If you mean the system clock, in
> regard to the 49.7 day issue, then no.  uptime.exe doesn't use that value.
> If you mean that if your time of day clock get's whacked, then yes.

Since NT doesn't store a large enough counter, we were informed that
uptime calculated the actual system uptime by subtracting the boot time
from the system time.  Is this not correct?

Also, gets never ever needs an apostrophe, unless you're trying to
contract 'get us'.  An apostrophe replaces missing letters, it doesn't go
before any s you see.  (Not a personal attack, but a pet peeve...).

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:40:55 +0200

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > This is just plain SUSPICIOUS.
> >
> > Change the setting of the shortcut in the quick launch menu.
> > That is likely the cause of this.
>
> A good try, but no...  I always start IE with the quick launch icon...
> the shortcut is fine, it's IE that once in a while decides to connect to
> MS.

Probably, anyone has more info about this?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:49:45 +0200

http://www.infinisource.com/features/spyware.html

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:18:07 +1000

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > This is just plain SUSPICIOUS.
> >
> > Change the setting of the shortcut in the quick launch menu.
> > That is likely the cause of this.
>
> A good try, but no...  I always start IE with the quick launch icon...
> the shortcut is fine, it's IE that once in a while decides to connect to
> MS.

It's probably checking for newer versions of IE.  Have a look under Tools ->
Options -> Advanced -> "Automatically check for updates".

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:22:56 +0200

"Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vk4ub$ori$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Change the setting of the shortcut in the quick launch menu.
> > > That is likely the cause of this.
> >
> > A good try, but no...  I always start IE with the quick launch icon...
> > the shortcut is fine, it's IE that once in a while decides to connect to
> > MS.
>
> It's probably checking for newer versions of IE.  Have a look under
Tools ->
> Options -> Advanced -> "Automatically check for updates".

You mean there isn't a world-wide conspiracy after all?

------------------------------

From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Microsoft Encouraging OEMs to "protect" customers from pirate software
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 09:29:45 +1100

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/nakedPC_old.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/nakedPC.htm

In short, they are trying to get OEMs not to sell PCs without an OS because
they could unwittingly cause their customers to "somehow" come across
pirated OSen. Pretty 1984-esque.

--Chris

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:28:58 +0100

Bennetts family wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/nakedPC_old.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/nakedPC.htm
>
> In short, they are trying to get OEMs not to sell PCs without an OS
> because they could unwittingly cause their customers to "somehow" come
> across pirated OSen. Pretty 1984-esque.

Come on.. thy just try to sell software and they are quite general about
wich OS :-)

BTW.. they fail to mention tech support on 3... and the poor Windoze users
surely need it.

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: And yet another satisfied Linux user.
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:26:43 +0000

mark wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JScrutton)
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> >Jason Scrutton, London, England.
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Now, why does this seem strange?
>
> Another interesting thing is that nobody in the UK in my experience
> would even consider writing 'England' after London, this is a US
> habit (not saying it's good or bad).

We only put Englang after London if we're writing a letter from abroad.
:-)

-Ed

> It seems unlikely that a consultant is unable to install an OS
> on anything.  I wouldn't want input from any consultant who would
> willingly admit to being unable to work a computer.
>
> And this consultant is unable to co-ordinate email addresses.
>
> I think you need to try harder next time,

Very astute. I didn't notice these points.

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold | Edward
Rosten

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:38:45 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 21:13:59 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> As of Mandrake 7.2:
>
>Cor, blimey guv'nor! It took you _this_ long to get Linux Mandrake 7.2?
>I've already installed the updates!

Cheapbytes took forever to send the CD's (the el'cheapo package) and
then there was some kind of a weird problem with them and the boot
disk img. Went crazy for a couple of days and finally borrowed a copy
of the official "Complete Version" and it worked great. Even using the
included boot disk with the Cheapbytes CD worked, so I suspect the
*.img files were screwed somehow. FWIW I have never had any problem
with them before.

Mandrake 7.2 is a clear winner for Linux in my opinion.

BIG difference IMHO from earlier versions. I like the gui message menu
during boot up.

BTW I had same DNS problems as you and installing th Internet
Connection sharing package fixed everything. Weird, but it works!

This one is a no brainer and FINALLY, AT LAST, Linux has stepped into
the same arena as Windows for a desktop user.

Some things that are important for me:

Hardware lists that actually have hardware listed that is recent
vintage. It's not a good sign when Epson FX printers and Dec
Wheelwriters are the primary selections.
Hardware recognition that works.
Internet dialup automatically set up.
I haven't figured out how to do dial on demand with kppp yet though.
ICS at the click of a button.
Config tools that are easy to use (DrakConf).
Kde 2.x is a major improvement over previous versions in all areas
except one. BRING BACK EASY TO INSTALL THEMES!!!!.
Shit! I know I can edit a theme down to the pixel with 2.0 but I don't
have time for that. I just want to select a theme from the theme
manager and be done with it.
Having said that, the gui is fast and copy/paste works with any
combination of menu and mouse.
Menu's seem better organized as well.
Multiboot (grub) works fine and doesn't mess with already installed
operating systems. Win2k doesn't either, but Win98SE will blow away
any other bootloader it finds.Easy to recover, but you have to know
what you are doing. Not nice at all.

I've been documenting things as I go along and will post them at a
later date, but nothing really stands out so far, just some
suggestions.

Bottom line is that this is one distribution Gates would NOT want to
include with Whistler for free because it just might attract some
converts. Definitely people looking to save some money, and yes, for
the first time, maybe even some average Jane's.
I'm not ready to say "gotcha" quite yet, mainly due to applications,
BUT the install, basic hardware and configure problems seem to have
been solved and that is a good start. Support for scanners and
camera's needs to be better though. Printer support seems to be
getting much better with Lexmark on the train as well as others.
Good sign because Lexmark makes some of THE BEST printers on the
market. Compare to HP $ for $ and you will see.

So you were right Pete, this one IS different and I agree!

claire

------------------------------

From: Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Best used box to purchase for linux system
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:31:09 +0000

James Hutchins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of purchasing (on Ebay) a
> used Intel, Sun, or Silicon Graphics (or ?) box to run Linux. I want to
> learn/program OpenGL, but know most graphics cards now for all machines
> support it. What other factors matter among the different machines?
>
> Thanks
> --J

If you're buying an SGI, and want to learn OpenGL, why not leave IRIX
on?

Just a question.

Oh and if anyone else reads this, is there a good 3D/ OpenGL FAQ for
Linux?

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:37:17 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > As of Mandrake 7.2:
>
> Cor, blimey guv'nor! It took you _this_ long to get Linux Mandrake 7.2?
> I've already installed the updates!

OK OK.. you guys (and Claire)are starting to disappoint me. Since i am a
Mandrake 7.2 user also i want to bite you two guys a bit (And i have been a
mandrake fans since the 6 series).

Why the heck does Mandrake not allways release the CD-rom so that you cant
switch CD's

Why did they wait for KDE2 (i find KDE2 -especially Konqueror-  wonderfull
and great)  when its not completely ready - some icons are missing and
themes are not there (Where do i import my GTK themes to KDE2??) - should
have waited for 2.01 or release earlier.

I could mention lots of annoying little things. What Mandrake need to do is
to be more conservative (thats why im going to try SUSE on another machine).

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Linux for nitwits
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:43:41 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:31:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I just mentioned it because it does resemble a certain
>GUI found in Win9x/2k/NT.  I personally use it on my
>laptop only because I wanted the clock and other buttons
>at the bottom which aren't available in the conventional
>FVWM2 (though you are free to tell me how to *add* them

For a very lightweight window manager that has a clock at the bottom of
the screen, multiple workspaces, and kde compatibility, you might want
to look at Blackbox.

http://blackbox.alug.org/

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft = Ingsoc? They're clearly using some of the same tactics!
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:40:32 +0100

mark wrote:

> I've used Afterstep, and it does handle multiple virtual screens.
>
> Explorer does not provide multiple virtual screens.
>
> I've certainly never had a virtual console available on Win32,
> although I imagine that Erik may claim a dos instance running
> in full-screen mode (alt-enter?) counts...

I run one i found sometime ago and it works... well  kinda - its messy
Litestep has one that i found very good last i tryed it...exactly the
samesas in Unix.. but cant run without litestep.

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:04:51 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:
[snip]
> If you do something like this in a HTML:

> <head>
> <script language="javascript">
> function is_this_secure() {
>  alert("testing security!");
>  window.location = "file:///C:/winnt/notepad.exe";
> }
> </script>
> </head>
> testing something.

[snip]

Sorry if I'm out of topic, but could you tell me please what's the
reason to use javascript on your example?
Wouldn't a simple html have performed the same test?
I ask because I usually keep javascript (and style sheets) disabled to
avoid useless and lengthy effects, and many times, when something
appears to be missing, I look at page source to find JavaScript which
seem not to do anything more than html could do. Most times I just take
the URL and paste it in the navigation bar, which is faster than
reloading the page with javascript enabled.

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 12:17:15 +1300

> > > Change the setting of the shortcut in the quick launch menu.
> > > That is likely the cause of this.
> >
> > A good try, but no...  I always start IE with the quick launch icon...
> > the shortcut is fine, it's IE that once in a while decides to connect to
> > MS.
>
> It's probably checking for newer versions of IE.  Have a look under Tools ->
> Options -> Advanced -> "Automatically check for updates".

Heh...  this is already off... when I *have* to have IE installed, I take
great pains to turn off any and all automation.  I even have it prompt me
before it runs any kind of script, which gets damned annoying, but it
makes me feel a little safer.  Especially good for OE...  this was how I
found out about our kak infection ("This email wants to run a script, do
you want to let it?"...  all it needs is an "I don't fuckin think so,
pal" button to click)

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:17:16 GMT

"." wrote:

> > > This is just plain SUSPICIOUS.
> >
> > Change the setting of the shortcut in the quick launch menu.
> > That is likely the cause of this.
>
> A good try, but no...  I always start IE with the quick launch icon...
> the shortcut is fine, it's IE that once in a while decides to connect to
> MS.

Homesick maybe?
(when innovative technology doesn't help, maybe psychology will :-) )

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:20:06 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:37:17 +0100, Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>OK OK.. you guys (and Claire)are starting to disappoint me. Since i am a
>Mandrake 7.2 user also i want to bite you two guys a bit (And i have been a
>mandrake fans since the 6 series).

I don't like biters, but......

>Why the heck does Mandrake not allways release the CD-rom so that you cant
>switch CD's

I don't seem to have this problem. Under SuSE I had a problem if I
played an audio CD, the next operation on that device (/dev/hdc) would
fail unless I opened and closed the door.

>Why did they wait for KDE2 (i find KDE2 -especially Konqueror-  wonderfull
>and great)  when its not completely ready - some icons are missing and
>themes are not there (Where do i import my GTK themes to KDE2??) - should
>have waited for 2.01 or release earlier.

Seems to me that Mandrake tends to be cutting edge in just about
everything. SuSE seems to have X down to a science and they seem to be
first with display/ monitor drivers. At least Mandrake gets things
pretty much working, RedHat is a disaster in my opinion with so many
basic bugs in each install I have to wonder if they ever test it
before release.

To it's credit, if you register with Mandrake they offer to send the
released version of kde on CD to you for free.

>I could mention lots of annoying little things. What Mandrake need to do is
>to be more conservative (thats why im going to try SUSE on another machine).

I prefer conservative when it comes to the odd stuff like RAID or
Reiser. When it comes to "show-off" stuff like a nice clean, fast
desktop or support, no matter how limited, for hardware, I'll go with
the cutting edge every time. If I were interested in running some back
room server I would have different priorities for sure.

As far as themes are concerned, it is my understanding that themes are
different in kde 2.0 and that themes are not quite as easy to
implement under 2.0. I might be wrong about this though.

claire

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:27:57 GMT

Christopher Smith wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Change the setting of the shortcut in the quick launch menu.
> > > That is likely the cause of this.
> >
> > A good try, but no...  I always start IE with the quick launch icon...
> > the shortcut is fine, it's IE that once in a while decides to connect to
> > MS.
>
> It's probably checking for newer versions of IE.  Have a look under Tools ->
> Options -> Advanced -> "Automatically check for updates".

Netscape does a similar thing. But only when you connect to Netscape's
site. I find it more polite, if nothing else.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:23:36 +0200

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > A good try, but no...  I always start IE with the quick launch icon...
> > > the shortcut is fine, it's IE that once in a while decides to connect
> > > MS.
> >
> > It's probably checking for newer versions of IE.  Have a look under
Tools ->
> > Options -> Advanced -> "Automatically check for updates".
>
> Heh...  this is already off... when I *have* to have IE installed, I take
> great pains to turn off any and all automation.  I even have it prompt me
> before it runs any kind of script, which gets damned annoying, but it
> makes me feel a little safer.  Especially good for OE...  this was how I
> found out about our kak infection ("This email wants to run a script, do
> you want to let it?"...  all it needs is an "I don't fuckin think so,
> pal" button to click)

Na, all you need is "disable" as default.
No problems whatsoever with this.
It's also *highly* recommended to put Outlook as a restricted zone.

And didn't you say that the problem was at your mother's house?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:26:07 +0200

"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> [snip]
> > If you do something like this in a HTML:

> > <head>
> > <script language="javascript">
> > function is_this_secure() {
> >  alert("testing security!");
> >  window.location = "file:///C:/winnt/notepad.exe";
> > }
> > </script>
> > </head>
> > testing something.
> >
> [snip]
>
> Sorry if I'm out of topic, but could you tell me please what's the
> reason to use javascript on your example?
> Wouldn't a simple html have performed the same test?
> I ask because I usually keep javascript (and style sheets) disabled to
> avoid useless and lengthy effects, and many times, when something
> appears to be missing, I look at page source to find JavaScript which
> seem not to do anything more than html could do. Most times I just take
> the URL and paste it in the navigation bar, which is faster than
> reloading the page with javascript enabled.

If you've javascript enabled, a site could send a user to everywhere in the
web at its whim.
Link require the user actively clicking on them, javascript doesn't.
I did it in order to see if just by browsing HTML page (HTML email, frex) I
could make IE/Outlook execute the command.

------------------------------

From: Xavi Solsona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Off-Topic:Test
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:29:39 GMT

   Just testing KNode ... it smells really good.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:34:54 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > If you do something like this in a HTML:

> > > <head>
> > > <script language="javascript">
> > > function is_this_secure() {
> > >  alert("testing security!");
> > >  window.location = "file:///C:/winnt/notepad.exe";
> > > }
> > > </script>
> > > </head>
> > > testing something.
> > >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Sorry if I'm out of topic, but could you tell me please what's the
> > reason to use javascript on your example?
> > Wouldn't a simple html have performed the same test?
> > I ask because I usually keep javascript (and style sheets) disabled to
> > avoid useless and lengthy effects, and many times, when something
> > appears to be missing, I look at page source to find JavaScript which
> > seem not to do anything more than html could do. Most times I just take
> > the URL and paste it in the navigation bar, which is faster than
> > reloading the page with javascript enabled.
>
> If you've javascript enabled, a site could send a user to everywhere in the
> web at its whim.
> Link require the user actively clicking on them, javascript doesn't.
> I did it in order to see if just by browsing HTML page (HTML email, frex) I
> could make IE/Outlook execute the command.

Thank you.
I had some idea that you hadn't done it just to show how good you are in
JavaScript!

From: Xavi Solsona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Off-Topic:Test
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:41:35 GMT

Xavi Solsona wrote:

>    Just testing KNode ... it smells really good.

   Yeah ... really :-) (just testing replying)