  Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls. ("Gary Hallock")

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:55:10 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:03:32 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> >> The deer hunters can go f*** themselves for all I care. The last thing we
> >> need is a bunch of savages who kill for pleasure carrying around military
> >> grade weapons.
> >
> >Don't expect to get much support from the Union rank-and-file then.
>
>         You won't even get much support from accountants and lawyers
>         with rhetoric like that in some states...
>
>         Plus, I don't suppose that this hypocrite is a vegan by any
>         chance. (I really doubt it) Otherwise, all he's whining about
>         is people who do exactly what he does but without the middle
>         man.

> >> If that's the problem, maybe a crackdown on smuggling is what's needed.
> >
> >Yeah, right.
> >
> >Name ONE TIME in history when such an operation has ever succeeded.
> >
> >Especially when Yugoslavians are making the anti-smuggling operations
> >totally pointless by making full-auto AK-47's in their basements
> >and garages for approximately $30 each.
>
>         That's the ultimate problem with a attempting to ban
>         "bad devices" in technologically advanced societies.

And Yugoslavia *hardly* qualifies as "technologically advanced"

The AK-47 was SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to be made under such
make-shift production situations.

>         Such societies can "roll their own". That's how such
>         devices originally came into being to begin with.

This is why the Soviets used the AK-47 for all of the insurgencies
that they sponsored...because it is VERY easy to set up a "cottage
industry" of basement and garage AK-47 parts manufacturing.

> [deletia]
> >> I;'ve consistently maintained that laws need to be backed up with
> >> enforcement -- any plan to enact criminal law needs to be backed up
> >> with an enforement plan to be useful.

> >> Doesn't imply a causal relationship, and it's hardly a similar
> >> situation.
> >
> >Are you arguing that it was just a coincidence?
> [deletia]
>
> --
>
>   >> Yes.  And the mailer should never hand off directly to a program
>   >> that allows the content to take control.
>   >
>   >Well most mailers can, so I guess they all suck too.
>
>         Yup.
>
>         Candy from strangers should be treated as such.
>                                                                / | \

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:55:21 +0000

> British refuse to take self-defense seriously
>
> That's why you have a handgun ban. That's why, in WW2, American citizens
> donated their privately-owned, household firearms to Britain to defend
> the beaches against an invasion by the Germans...
>
> [Fortunately, Germany never manufactured proper landing craft to do so,
> or you all might be speaking German to this very day].

Its also because they lost air superiority.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:55:50 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > How about, instead of participating in a "flame war", be a bit more
> > civil have a rational debate.
> >

> With those who are interested in RATIONAL debate....I am.
>
> With those who insist upon posting blatant lies (Chad, Erik, Pete
> Goodwin),
> I dump an appropriately-sized pile of shit on them for having the
> nerve to spout what they KNOW to be lies.

Why?
Are you not "man enough" to take it?
I can't stand people who always insist on having the last word, or
insist on having revenge upon someone.
Get over it.

Next week, no one will even remember who you are.

> > No one will flame you if you disagree with them, but are very civil
> > about it.
>
> Care to discuss the quantum-dynamic behavior of charge carriers
> in semi-conductor materials?

Why are you going off on such a tangent?
I know it's hard to stay focused, but please stay on subject.

> > It's quite obvious from the length of your signature that you aren't
> > trying to be civil.
>
> Only when the situation calls for being civil.
>
> Much of USENET is not civil, and never will be.  I take a 2x4 to
> the face of those who are the most egregious offenders.

Perhaps that has been your experience because of the way you deal with
things. I, personally, have NEVER been attacked on usenet. The vast
majority of people I deal with are quite polite, in fact.

> > Here's step #1 to becoming a better person:
> >
> > Remove your signature.
>
> Make me.

VERY mature!

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Help with display properties
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:56:24 -0000

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:22:58 +1000, Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>John wrote:
>>
>> Hi I installed redhat 6.2 on my computer and when I open let say properties
>> of
>> display the dialog box does not fit my display and I have move the box
>> around to click buttons, it is 640X480. I can not make higher resolution
>> beacause my monitor is an old 14'. So I want just to correct what I can.
>> Could anybody help me with that.
>> Thanks
>
>Find your XF86Config file (/etc/XF86Config, /etc/X11/XF86Config)  You
>either have a problem with modelines being too high spec for your
>monitor in the 'monitor section' or not having higher resolutions
>defined in your 'screens' section.

        He shouldn't need to go to all that trouble.

        Merely running Xconfigurator and choosing sane options should do.

--

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:58:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:23:06 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
>>who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
>>paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
>>this situation.
>
>But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
>to taxes.

Not if the essentials are exempted from the tax; these would include
basic foodstuffs: beans, rice, fruits and vegetables, bread,
maybe certain meats (the devil's in the details here; presumably we
might include ground beef but not filet mignon; there's also the
issue that eating meat is far less efficient than being strictly vegan,
but the counterbalance to that is that being vegan is not as healthy
because it's far more difficult to get the essential amino acids and
trace minerals from a strict vegan diet -- is the government going to
tax those choices it doesn't like here?), milk, cheese, butter,
salt, spices, and fruit juices.

Granted, this is a rather extreme proposal -- even California doesn't
go to quite this level of detail, AFAIK.  There's also the little
issue as to who determines what is essential.

On a related note, things could get interesting in a complex economy
such as the US.  Consider: cold-rolled steel, which has a certain
price, gets fabricated into computer casings [*].  These casings get
shipped to a computer assembler, which creates computers therefrom,
and then sells them to a distributor, who marks up his prices and
sells them to the end user.

Now: who pays what taxes. and when, amongst the following?
Note that there's usually inventory amongst all but the final
purchaser, which means that he's producing (or procuring), holding,
and then selling; a tax might be incurred on both ends, or even
all three activities (warehouse/storage rent).

[1] The mine(s) or well(s).
[2] The transporter of the coal, ore, oil, or gas from the mine to
    the refinery and/or the electric power plant.
[3] The steel ingot manufacturer.
[4] The cold-rolled steel manufacturer.
[5] The steel distributor/middleman (if there is one).
[6] The casing manufacturer.
[7] The casing seller/middleman.
[8] The computer manufacturer.
[9] The computer distributor.
[10] The computer seller.
[11] The electric power supplier to all of the preceding.
[12] The individual purchaser.

I might have left a step or two out, or put an extra one in by mistake --
I'm not *that* knowledgeable about heavy refinery business models. :-)
There are also issues regarding overseas suppliers of any of the above;
for example, Korea (IIRC) supplies an awful lot of computer cases.

I also have an issue regarding the distinction of income from
gross and net receipts.  One might wave this away, however, by using
identical criteria to those employed now in the filing of that old
standby, IRS Form 1040 (for those in the US, anyway), specifically,
those lines relating to the calculation of gross income.  1040 makes
no distinction between income and profits, IIRC -- but I'd have to look.
(This is assuming a flat *income* tax, as opposed to a sales tax
or value-added tax.)

[*] It's possible some casings actually do use cold-rolled steel, others
    might use a completely different metal, or even plastic.  I'm using
    cold-rolled steel as an example here; I don't know the details as
    to how casings are actually manufactured.  Note that faceplates
    are in fact plastic in many cases -- and they're also detachable.
    Therefore, there are steps in this process I am omitting.  Note
    also that chips and LEDs are manufacturered from silicon, and from
    more unusual elements such as arsenic and gallium.  There's even
    gold involved -- the surface of many connectors have it as a
    method of reducing corrosion -- therefore, the precious metals market
    might become an issue.

                    The US gov't spends about $54,000/second.  I wish I could.

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:57:57 +0500
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

In article <96s7ui$a4u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Steve Mading"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is the simplest algorithm for getting the numerical value of a
> digit character in ASCII:
>     x = ord(ch) - ord('0')
> Since the ord() is really a do-nothing operation that exists purely to
> tell the compiler "yes, I really meant to do this, It's not a mistake.",
> the above is really nothing more than a numerical subtraction operation.
>  (and even looks that way in C:  ch - '0' )

Actually, this works for EBCDIC also since the digits are contiguous -
0xf0 - 0xf9.   Still, I wouldn't recommend this method since it does make
assumptions on the representation of characters.

Gary

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:59:58 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Hayes
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:26:51 +0000
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:56:21 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >> Tim Hanson wrote:
> >
> ><...>

> >> I believe that two of them have not been decommissioned yet...just
> >> put back into the mothball fleet.

> >> It's too bad.  Naval Artillery is a relatively cheap way to support
> >> any Marines who need to establish a beachhead.
> >
> >Not as bad as the British Royal Navy, where the gunners are required to
> >shout "BANG" on training exercises due to lack of real shells.
>
> Wow.
>
> I wonder if we could have used that tactic at Desert Storm.....
>
> [.sigsnip]

Well, Actually, the  Iraqi soldiers started surrendering to camera crews
precisely because the A-10's and B-52's WEREN'T shouting "BANG!" out the
window.

>From an interrogation of an Iraqi POW:

Interrogator:
        "Why did you and your friends surrender?"
POW:
        Because of the air strikes.
Interrogator:
        "There were no air strikes on your unit"
POW:
        Yes, but we SAW the air strikes against the Republican Guards
        units behind us.

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- it would certainly save the military money
> EAC code #191       16d:07h:05m actually running Linux.
>                     I was asleep at the switch the rest of the time.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:00:31 -0000

> > > Ignoring savage insults and accusations implies to the
observer
> > that
> > > that insults and accusations are true.
> >
> > And yet you still refuse to justify the petty attacks present
in
> > your .sig.
> >

> They are NOT petty attacks.  They are documentation of
methodologies
> used in petty attacks against me.

You take yourself far to seriously. Meanwhile you still haven't
justified your petty attacks.

> > > I *REFUSE* to allow my name to be besmirched without
response.

--
Cheers,
Sam

"All your base are belong to us" - Cats

------------------------------

From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux User Group on local TV
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:02:04 GMT

LUGOD, the Linux Users' Group of Davis, and the Linux operating system
are the topics of an upcoming episode of "Get the Word Out," a
public access television show seen on Davis Cable channel 5.

We talk about Linux and what it can do, and the club and what we do in the
community.

The airdates for the episode are scheduled to be:

  Thursday, March 1st   7:00pm
  Tuesday,  March 6th   7:30pm

The show is 30 minutes long and includes a ~15 minute demonstration
of Linux in action, including:

  - text login
  - editing source code
  - KDE2 graphical environment
  - Konqueror web browser
  - The Gimp photo editor
  - gPhoto digital camera software
  - StarOffice producitivty suite
  - photos of some cool Linux-based hardware (webcams, watches, PDAs)

DCTV's schedule is available here:

  http://www.dctv.davis.ca.us/schedule.html

Our hope is to get a copy of the episode and then create a
video file (streaming RealVideo or plain-old MPEG) for people
to check out. :)

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:06:43 +0500
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marten Kemp"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One of the very few built-in limitations of the original S/360
> Principles of Operation was that there weren't any unassigned control
> mode bits in the Program Status Word. The EBCDIC/ASCII mode bit was
> redefined to provide Extended Control mode for virtual storage
> operation. Before that everything was real storage like the original
> 8088. But I digress. ASCII/EBCDIC isn't too hard a translation. For an
> EBCDIC database, compile the program with an EBCDIC-speaking compiler.
> To perform queries with an ASCII terminal, translate the keystrokes.
> There may even be ASCII mode selection bits in the latest version of the
> mainframes for all I know (my detailed knowledge of the POO manuals
> stops with the S/370, which are several generations old by now).

The S/390 hardware has very little ties to EBCDIC.  The PACK and UNPK
instructions might have some trouble with ASCII, but I think use of the
move zones instruction (MVZ) would solve that.   Linux for S/390 uses
ASCII.

Gary