From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: does anyone care if linux does not become ultra-popular?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:59:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Disco Stu wrote:
>hi people,
>
>i have been a linux user for a few years and have had many of the
>problems that i have seen on this newsgroup.  each time i have gone
>back to windows 9x or dual-booted. i have tried mandrake, corel,
>red-hat, suse etc. and now after reading and learning about the more
>unclear aspects of the linux i have now completely eradicated
>microsoft from my machine at home and have used linux only for the
>past six months.  gone is kde and gnome and in is fvwm (basic) and my
>text processor is emacs.

And this is yet another appealing thing about Linux.
The ability for all parites to use the same operating system
underneath yet have your pick of interfaces.  I used to use
mainly WindowMaker then I switched to only using Gnome and Sawmill.

But I spend quite a bit of time just using the machine with no
X running, just a raw terminal.  You can achieve the same
functionality with the system using a console or remote terminal
as you can using the X desktop tools.

And it's VERY VERY QUICK on these pentium III's.

>there are quite a few people who have tried the linux and have decided
>it is not for them (some who decided on a failed installation).  all i
>can say is, have a good read of some documentation, look at the
>newsgroups for other peoples problems and then proceed with an
>install.

If you want to LEARN Linux then find a PC users group which
has a Linux meeting and make a freind with somebody who uses
Debian.  Debian is a wonderful way to learn to use Linux.

If you don't then pick a distribution like Suse or Mandrake
and go that route.  RedHat is also easy to install for most
people.  There is also Slackware, but Slackware is not as
easily upgradable.

I started off in Linux with Slackware and will say you can
learn quite a bit of useful information using Slackware.  I
still have my original Slackware manual from years ago.

>my main advice is, do not be too keen to get your graphical user
>interface going straight away (kde, gnome etc.) which is where the
>vast majority of new users get stuck.  get an older distribution like
>suse 6.1 or red-hat 5.2, install a basic syatem and play about on the
>command line and get a feel for what the base system is like, learn to
>read the linux start-up sequence and what hardware it is finding.
>think about some of the activities you do in windows such as searching
>for files or writing a document or even accessing email.  if you can
>see solutions to these sort of issues then setting up a GUI will be
>easy.

Another good reason to go Debian!  You can install a base system
which has no X desktop graphical user interfaces and learn the
base Linux product from there.  When your thru learning Linux
you can use Dselect to add what ever X desktop you like. Have
multiple desktop's if you choose to.

Best part is Debian is totally free.  If you have decent internet
access and can read and have access to 20 diskettes to build your
install disks you can have Debian.  It doesn't even require a
visit to you local store.

You can also buy the book, "Learning Linux" from OReilly and
in the back of the book you will find the CD's for Debian 2.1.
It's about a $35.00 transaction in most stores.

>if you are thinking that you haven't got time to do this or you have
>too many things that require windows then maybe you have to take a
>step back and ask why do you really need linux.  i personally wanted
>to tax my brain again and get back to the halcyon days when you had to
>fight with a machine to get something useful to run (remember the
>zx-80 or trs-80?).  some of you will get addicted very quickly and
>some.....won't
>
>whatever, keep on trying, don't lose too much sleep and keep on
>rockin'
>
>disco stu.XXX

I got rid of Windows from my machines starting in 1997.  It wasn't
until 1998 when I destroyed my last Windows partition. I've discovered
there is nothing you can do in Windows you can't do in Linux better.

In any topic you care to pick, making web pages, writing documents,
working with spreadsheets, writing software, archiving software,
Telnet and FTP access, SSH, NFS networking, replacing Windows servers
with samba, designing electronic circuits, designing CAD, designing
flow diagrams, SQL database handling, CGI, Java, C, C++, Pascal, Forth,
Fortran, Cobol, shell scripting.   Linux just out-gunns anything
Microsoft has.

Best part is if you can READ the instructions from
http://www.debian.org
and make the install disks you can have all this and access to 6,000 + other
packages RIGHT NOW for FREE!

And that's what I think it COOOL! about Linux!@

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:33:32 +0200

> Chad Mulligan wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > > Even if Mcrosoft gets off in the US court, the EC is going to fry
> > > them.....
> >
> > Wooo.  There goes 1/100th of the world market.
>
> You have ZERO grasp of world economics.
>
> Europe has several times as many people as the US, and total
> economy of WESTERN Europe alone is bigger than the US economy.

Argh. I actually agrees with Aaron on this.
But why would the EC "fry them" ?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:36:05 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8vpegl$52a0r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Whatever you'd like.  Personally I'd choose a reliable
> >> filesystem design, but you can design your own if you'd
> >> prefer.
> >
> >No, thank you.
> >I don't intend to add another FS to the many that already exist.
> >Not that I think that I can, without some major studying.
> >

> Well, Win9x can only read FAT, so maybe you'd be better
> sticking with it?

FAT is about the simplest FS that there can be, and it should only be used
on single user OS, as it has no way to implement security measures.
I much rather have NTFS.
For that matter, the registry in NT acts like an NTFS partition, where you
can delegate permissions.
In win9x, you can only dream about this capacity.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:41:43 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8vpf2q$5buf6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >the
> >the

> >> Oh dear, now there's a bugger, 'cos apparently, it was corrupted.
> >
> >You've multiply copies of the files on the cd.
> >

> Then the Win98 install wouldn't have failed, would it?

The install didn't fail.
It couldn't find a file, most probably due to file corruption on the CD due
to improper threatment.

Win98 CDs around here are seperated in that fashion:
<Cd-Rom Drive>
|_ Win98
_|_Loc
_|_Ena

Both Loc & Ena contatin the full setup to win98.
The difference is the languages that OS will be in, mainly.
The file was curropted in one dir, but not on the other.
The setup has no way to tell that there are extra copies of the files here,
but when it find a missing file(s), it ask you what to do, and gives you the
option to specify a different path to the file.
By the time I got there, he was already beyond this point, so I'd to wait
until the install would be done and then restore it manually, which was, as
I said, as easy as a stroll in the park.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:58:07 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8vpeh6$52a0r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >

> >He doesn't have a floppy drive.
> >And there are tools for win98 that can read ext2 fs.
>
> Not that come on a Win98 install disk, there aren't.

So? Is there a point here?
Much of my software doesn't come from the Windows CD.
doing this you would hear screams about product bundling.

> >> No vaguely technically knowledgable Linux user, especially not a
> >> slackware user (as you later claim) would make such a fundamental
> >> mistake as you've done here.
> >
> >No, when we finally gotten windows to dial up, I d/l an ext2 reader, and
> >copied all the files to the fat32 partition, and burned them.
>
> Ah, what a magical recovery.  I should have guessed that you'd go
> to all the effort of installing an OS from a broken CD from Microsoft
> in order to subsequently download a package to enable you to read
> a non-native filesystem (ext2), which you could have done from
> any linux rescue disk.  If you've no floppy, then you can
> netboot, or you can (which I do) create an additional spare partition
> to boot from , or, and this is the key question - how did he get
> Slackware on in the first place?

He has a non-bootable cd, I think.

> If this were debian then it might have been a bootable cdrom.
> In which case, any sane person would boot the cdrom and fix
> things, not install another OS.  You still don't say what was
> wrong with this linux installation which apparently wouldn't
> boot or run or something.

Because:
A> I don't care.
B> It's not my system, I didn't bother to dive in it just to find what went
wrong.

> >> Well, seems a bit clunky - why didn't it stop?
> >
> >Because it wasn't a very important file and windows could function
without
> >it.
> >And because it was told to "skip" this file.
>
> Ah, so why are you worried about it if it's not important, and
> why did this person say 'skip' if he needed it - which one
> is this, please?

vnetbios.vxd
you need this file to dial up, you don't need it for windows to work.
He skipped it because he is an idiot.

> >Dial Up Networking.
> >I can probably get vnetbios.vxd from plenty of places, but why bother?
> >I simply extracted it the cab file it resided on, and put it where it
should
> >be.
>
> I thought this Cd was broken - that's what you said last time.  If
> the install couldn't find this file, why was it magically in the
> correct place on the CD?  It can't have been!

win98 cd contains several places where the cabs are stored on.

> >You search the registery for all the apperances of the file, and you
check
> >where it should be, you write this down.
> >Then you go to the Windows98 Installation Cd, and find the directory
where
> >all the cab files reside.
> >You do a search on file content, looking for vnetbios.vxd , I find the
> >vnetbios.vxd inside the cab file, and extract it.
> >Then, knowing that in the registery, it appeared without path, I put it
in
> >windows\system\
> >Removing & Adding TCP/IP  & rebooting solved the problem
>
> All this to read a filesystem which Win98 can't read, from a CD which
> Microsoft seem to have shipped broken?

Take a CD, take a screwdriver, scratch the CD, try to read the CD in a
CD-Rom
That is (to a lesser degree) happens to CD which are improperly handled.
It doesn't matter whose CD it is.

> >You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?
> >We are talking about *read* error.
> >The place where the file resided was damage, neither linux nor god can
save
> >you then.
>
> A *read* error - ah, so you can't read the file, but earlier you said
> you found it on the same CD in the right place and you *could* read
> it - which is it, please?

win98 cd contains several places where the cabs are stored on.

> >*again*.
> >>
> >> Well, what were you going to do, err, perhaps, err, reinstall windows?
> >
> >No, I didn't.
> >That was the *whole* point.
> >That I didn't have to.
> >He was an idiot because he did so.
>
> No, you seem to have managed to read a file that couldn't be read
> because of a *read* error, as you said.  This is real windows magic.

win98 cd contains several places where the cabs are stored on.

> >> h, and one reboot, because you'd to de-install & install TCP/IP
> >>
> >> Well, it's windows, *of*course* you have to reboot.
> >
> >No, it's win9x, there is a difference.
>
> Are you really saying there's a version of windows on the market
> which can be installed from a CD and does not need to be rebooted?

No, nor there is any system that you can do it with.
I was talking about removing & adding TCP/IP.

> No - he didn't need to install at all - you said he had a problem
> with slackware, that he's a regular user of slackware 7.1 and
> is knowledgable, yet in spite of all this, he installs win98
> from a Cd in order to fix an ext2 system.  You are really not
> making much sense here at all.

There are more things in heaven and hell that are dreamt of in your
philosopy, Huratcio - Shakspere (badly spelled, probably)

> >I wasn't *talking* about Linux, I was talking about why you don't need to
> >re-install windows.
> >Microsoft provide CDs from which it's very much possible to install.
> >But CD has a tendacy to get unreadable if you threat them wrongly.
>
> You say quite clearly at the start of this thread that the
> problem was with slackware, and you even say part way up this
> post that you would install a third party package in order to
> be able to read the ext2 filesystem.

Yes, but that wasn't what I'm talking about.
That is *background*.
I'm talking about how he reinstalled (twice!) to get rid of a problem he
could've gotten rid of without reinstalling.

> You also state quite clearly that the Microsoft CD was uninstallable
> from. You try to claim that he had to use a CD because he had no
> floppy.  You do not explain how he had slackware on the machine
> in the first place.
>
> You now state that even that CDROM failure was the user's fault!

Yes, if you don't keep the CD in its box, if you let your CD get scratches,
it's your fault that they don't work.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:59:57 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> This is why monopolies can chase profit quite happily, whilst
> completely avoiding providing what the customer *actually* wants.

Do this, and you are no longer a monopoly, because other people will give
the customer what they actually want, and the customer will go with them.

> >> I believe that some Government pressure in the
> >> end caused them to change their minds.
> >
> >IIRC, it was that they were offered by Iceland goverment to get paid for
> >doing the localization.
>
> *Exactly*  Nothing pressurises a monopoly more than cash.

No, if there is money in it, it will be done.
If there isn't money in it, it won't be done.
Basic rules of economics.
Localizing windows wasn't worth it.
Getting paid to localize windows was worth it.
Simple.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:03:50 -0500

Alan Baker wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Larry Pyeatt wrote:
> >>
> >> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >>         "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >>
> >> (major snippage)

> >> Unless you use a Dvorak keyboard.  ;)
> >
> >1) Considering that vi only uses main-keyboard keys (regardless
> >       of QWERTY vs. Dvorak issues.....why, exactly?
> >

> >2) Only PSEUDO-intellectual dorks use Dvorak.
> >
> >The only tests that 'demonstrated' superior speed on a Dvorak
> >board were those conducted by Dvorak himself (1943, US Navy).
> >
> >All other trials have failed to reproduce the results.
>
> <http://www.som.syr.edu/facstaff/dvorak/blackburn.html>
>
> "Typing, Fastest. Mrs. Barbara Blackburn of Salem, Oregon can maintain
> 150 wpm for 50 min (37,500 key strokes) and attains a speed of 170 wpm
> using the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard (DSK) system. Her top speed was
> recorded at 212 wpm. Source: Norris McWhirter, ed. (1985), THE GUINNESS
> BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS, 23rd US edition, New York: Sterling Publishing
> Co., Inc."

Big fucking deal.

Let's see the statistics from two 500-person pools of
new typists, each given a couple months of training,
until they are in the 100-120 words/minute range.

Thus far, it takes the same amount of time for students
of EITHER keyboard to reach this same productivity.

> --
> Alan Baker
> Vancouver, British Columbia
> "If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall to that
> wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you sit in the
> bottom of that cupboard."

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:07:56 -0500

mark wrote:

> In article <8vhjjf$gh7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christopher Smith wrote:
> >
> >"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:hUFS5.23397$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:8vf6ke$voq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> *nix
> >of

> >> But 'open' has nothing in common with  the meaning of 'execute' to
> >> anyone who hasn't been brainwashed since birth.
> >
> >You mean it has nothing in common for those who haven't been using OSes like
> >MacOS and Windows their whole life.
> >
> >That would be, erm, about 2% of the population, if that.
>
> Considering the Windows and DOS have only been around over the
> last couple of decades, that would require everyone to be under
> 20.  They're not.
>

> >Different UIs have different principles defining them.  Deal with it.

> >> Email is an application, not a shell.  It's meaning of open is unlike the
> >> meaning of open in any other application.   If you tell notepad or
> >> word to open a *vbs file, will it launch an interpreter?
> >
> >The difference is in notepad you've specifically gone to the file menu and
> >chosen to open a file, whereas in outlook you're just double clicking on an
> >icon.
> >

> Yes, agreed.  In Outlook, an executable can be run or not, and the
> user may well not know which will happen.  This has resulted in my
> employer's email systems being virtually ground to a halt.  This is not
> a good thing for any business which uses Microsoft software for its
> desktops, since it costs lots and lots of money.
>
> This is a high price to pay for Microsoft's attempts to copy the

It' not so much the attempt, but the INABILITY to do it properly
which is the problem.

> functionality of the Mac finder.
>
> Mark

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:09:05 -0500

Jan Schaumann wrote:

> * "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > jason wrote:
> >>
> >> Must you quote the whole damn post?
> >
> > It is required.
>
> It is not. Just quote what you reply to, snipp *all* unneccessary stuff.

Humor escapes your grasp on a regular basis....doesn't it.

> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
>
> -Jan
>
> Fup2 als and cola (since the debating will take weird directions in those
> groups that need not be xposted to other groups in which people wish to
> discuss serious things)
>
> --
> Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>
>
> Bob Barker: "Which one of these lovely womanoids will take home atomic tiara?"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.