From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are todays computers 1000 times better than the original PCs?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:08:32 -0500

mlw wrote:

> I just noticed I have 1000 times more ram than my first PC/XT, it is a dual
> processor 600 MHZ system which is a an aggregate 250 times faster. My first
> hard disk was 20Meg, I have an aggregate 2300 times more disk space.
>
> It has been an amazing 16 years of computing.

Yes.  Microsoft Windows...the "desktop" operating system that requires
a one-user supercomputer just to run.

> --
> The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time.
> The terror of their tyranny, however, is alleviated by their lack of
> consistency.
>                 -- Albert Einstein

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:09:27 -0500

Mark Bratcher wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >[deletia]
> >>
> >>Well, I can respect that.
> >>
> >>It's how I look at the results of my 5 senses. I don't have an absolute
> >>belief in anything I see or hear, but I've found that if I pay attention
> >>it helps "win the game".
> >>
> >>However, maybe I'm strange. I feel that some studies like perhaps ethics
> >>are somehow grounded in a "absolute" truth. Maybe because I fear the
> >>alternative.
> >
> >       Ethics is not infact based on "absolute" truth but acknowledging
> >       what your standards and objectives are. It is "absolute" truth
> >       that is scary for it is typically adhered to without any thought.
> >

> "Relative" truth, OTOH, isn't scarey at all. Just ask Charles Mason. :-)

Manson.

Of course, Sharon Tate and her party guests would disagree.

> --
> Mark Bratcher
> To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name
> Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:10:50 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mlw"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I just noticed I have 1000 times more ram than my first PC/XT, it is a
> > dual processor 600 MHZ system which is a an aggregate 250 times faster.
>
> Are you just counting MHZ? Its probably a lot faster if you take in to
> account the FPU, the bittiness, the MMX (and like) instructions and
> pipelining.
>
> > My first hard disk was 20Meg, I have an aggregate 2300 times more disk
> > space.
> >
> > It has been an amazing 16 years of computing.
>
> I'll agree. Computers in another 16 years will be frightening. 30 GHZ
> processors are in the works, but either they use a very, very unreliable
> fabrication technique or they use an unreliable fabrication technique and
> need supercooling.
>
> It was nice to see last year when the highest clocked processors went one
> billion times faster than the clock on the first binary digital computer.

The first one was 1 Hz?

> -Ed
>

> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:09:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ZnU wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I don't know of any aristocracy, other than Kennedy, the Rockefellers,
> > > and similar people.  They won't let me into their country club, so
> > > no, I don't hang out with such types.

> > > Not the current ones.
> > >

> > > Better to just pass a law that says that the punishment for any
> > > crime is TRIPLED, and raised a level (say from Class C Misdemeanor
> > > to Class B Misdemeanor, or from Class A misdemeanor to Class D
> > > Felony) for any offence committed under the influence of drugs
> > > or alcohol.
> > >
> > > This eliminates the contraband problem, and all of the associated
> > > side effects, while STILL providing a negative-reinforcement to
> > > out-of-control drug use.
> > >
> > > If someone wants to lock himself in a room and do LSD, no
> > > problem.  If he wants to do it while driving a vehicle, then
> > > he gets hit REALLY hard for anything stupid he does.
> >
> > That might work with most drugs, but LSD is a bad example. What do you
> > do when the guy who's been locking himself in room doing LSD has a
> > flashback while driving a vehicle?
>
> Punish him for putting himself in such a situation, as a result
> of his previous behavior....as I said....3x punishment for any
> wrongdoing committed while under the influence.
>
> Having a flashback is "under the influence"

What if he claims he wasn't having one? It seems to me you'd have to
consider anyone who had ever used LSD as "under the influence" at all
times.

It seems to me that substances that cause serious, permanent,
irreparable damage that could cause an individual to become a threat to
others should probably be banned outright.

--
This universe shipped by weight, not volume.  Some expansion may have
occurred during shipment.

ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ooooopsss there goes another one.
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:14:00 +1300

SO, what you are saying is VA Linux represents the whole Linux market....get
up with the programme....SO...by you anacdotal story....if SGI were to
fail...the whole UNIX arena would be tarnished....GET A LIFE FLAT FISH

Matthew Gardiner

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Well it's not exactly gone yet, but it's well on the way.

http://dailynews.netscape.com/mynsnews/story.tmpl?table=n&cat=50300&id=20010
2211148000244539

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:16:46 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 01:11:49 GMT, Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>>
> >>[deletia]

> >>      Ethics is not infact based on "absolute" truth but acknowledging
> >>      what your standards and objectives are. It is "absolute" truth
> >>      that is scary for it is typically adhered to without any thought.
> >>

> >"Relative" truth, OTOH, isn't scarey at all. Just ask Charles Mason. :-)
>
>         If you insist on following that tactic,
>         there are far scarier names to dredge up.

You mean like, Godwin?

> --
>
>         Regarding Copyleft:
>
>           There are more of "US" than there are of "YOU", so I don't
>           really give a damn if you're mad that the L/GPL makes it
>           harder for you to be a robber baron.

>                                                                / | \

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:19:19 -0500

Michael Vester wrote:

> meow wrote:
> >
> > I've been coming up with some anagrams of Aaron Kulkis name and i
> > thought id share them with you
> >
> > Aaron Kulis = Miserable piece of shit
> > Aaron Kulis = Toss Pot
> > Aaron Kulis = Argumentitive fuck wit
> > Aaron Kulis = Arrogant wank stain
> > Aaron Kulis = Numb nuts
> >
> > thats all i have so far
> > I think there surely must be some more
> > Anyone got any others?
> >
> > Meow
>
> Please change your fake name. I like cats and I find your
> usage of "meow" to be inappropriate and insulting to the
> Feline species.  Perhaps you could use this name, "Waster of
> hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon and some trace elements"
> for yourself. We could call you wohoncaste, a name that
> everyone could agree on.
>
> Please put more effort into your posts like our lovable
> Flatfish++++.  Potty talk does not cut it, Direct name calling
> attacks only make the attacker look bad.
>
> Could this be the return of ascii(53h). Or a reasonable
                              ^^^^^^^^^^

"S"  ???

> facsimile. ascii(53h) is not unique.
>
> --
> Michael Vester
> A credible Linux advocate
>
> "The avalanche has started, it is
> too late for the pebbles to vote"
> Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:21:42 -0500

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:973u4o$gks$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > : news:96v133$im8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > :>
> > :> It demonstrates exactly the opposite.
> >
> > : How do you get that?  If it has to be done over it means it was done
> wrong
> > : the first time.   Do you want to encourage users to make their own
> > : mistakes with the security of their files?
> >
> > Some things have to be done over and over even if they are done right
> > the first time, because circumstances change.  In my example, you will
> > note, I described a department with new people coming into it that
> > weren't there when the groupd was first made.
>
> But when circumstances change, they change globally.  Why would
> you want every individual to apply ACL's and have to update them
> on every file when the circumstances change as opposed to letting
> the system administrator take care of updating the groups as
> the groups change?

Very well said.

ACLs offer little benefit over traditional owner/group/world permission
bits, and bring LOTS of headaches...

This is why they are very very very rarely used in commercial settings.

>          Les Mikesell
>              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:22:10 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > Germany's foray into Yugoslavia. US/British bombing of Kosovo (part of
> > Yugoslavia).
> >
> > Basically, the effectiveness of air superiority is at its maximum in
> > flat, open desert terrain.
>
> And the sea, which is why a sea based invasion is difficult with out air
> superiority.

The RAF did not have air superiority over the Channel at that time.
In fact, the Luftwaffe had air superiority over Britain during the
Battle of Britain up until some RAF bomber dumped a load on Berlin,
and Hitler sought revenge by concentrating solely upon London.(*)

The evacuation of Dunkirk succeeded because Doenitz said he could
handle it without the Luftwaffe, so Hitler told Goering to hold off.

By the time Doenitz realized that the subs and E-boats (equivalent
to small torpedo-launchers like our PT boats) couldn't penetrate the
destroyers screening the endless convoy of vessels which included
a great many fishing trawlers and family life boats...it was too
late.

When the Luftwaffe was finally turned loose upon the evacuation, the
destroyers had been outfittted with "barrage balloons" (giant
helium-filled balloons moored by thick cables that would destroy
any aircraft unlucky enough to run into one).  This kept the
Me-109's and FW-190's from being able to make strafing runs,
as well as forcing level bombers to bomb from high altitude,
and keeping the stuka's from being employable in any capacity.

If the Luftwaffe had been committed at the beginning, they would
have destroyed the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) and the
remnants of the French Army right there on the beach in France.

My guess is that Doenitz hoped that the beleageured BEF would
be a good lure to allow the U-Boats

(*) Until that time, the Luftwaffe was bombing airfields, and
   aircraft factories.  When the Luftwaffe changed priority to
   bombing London, the RAF was literally down to a 4-hour supply
   of fighter airframes, engines, and other essential components.

   It could be that the bombload dumped on Berlin was specifically
   designed to provoke the Luftwaffe into bombing London.   If they
   Germans had stayed on the original plan (bombing the aircraft
   production infrastructure) for another 2 weeks, the RAF would
   have collapsed.  As more and more aircraft production facilities
   were destroyed, fewer and fewer fighters would be repaired,
   let alone replaced, and England would have been in a VERY
   difficult position.

> -Ed
>

> > Conversely, the effectiveness of air superiority is at its minimum in
> > forested mountian terrain (like Viet Nam,  Yugoslavia, Switzerland,
> > parts of Spain, etc.)
> >

> >> Joe
> >

> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.