  Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution? (Donovan Rebbechi)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:09:30 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:90jrr8$1ft1r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Win98? Weeks at a time?
> > I'm impressed.
> > Do call Guniess, you are a first.
>
> No, he's not.  I've run Win98 for weeks at a time as well.  My longest
> uptime on 98SE was almost 2 months.  I ended up having to reboot because the
> modem locked up and wouldn't dial (not a problem with Win9x, the modem was a
> crappy old Cardinal modem that had that problem, even under FreeBSD.)
>
> There's no black magic involved with keeping 98 up and running.  It just
> involves doing routine maintenance.  Defragging the drive, Optimizing the
> registry (using RegClean or Norton's optimization wizard), and keeping the
> DLL problems under control with SFC (system file checker).  Also, using
> hardware with known good drivers.
>
> I'm not claiming that Win98SE is rock solid stable, just that it's not as
> instable as people seem to think if it's properly maintained.

Clue for the goddamned fucking clueless:

That's not "maintenance" that's FIREFIGHTING.

You know what sort of 'maintenance' is needed for a Unix or Linux system?

        Changing the backup tape.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MSN and AOL-Time Warner: Is Microsoft being hypocritical?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:10:40 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> Microsoft has the cash, why don't they setup a wireless broadband service?

They'd rather steal it from someone else.

> kiwiunixman
>
> jtnews wrote:
>
> > Isn't it hypocritical for Microsoft to complain about getting
> > shut out of AOL-Time Warner's broadband network when they
> > effectively shut out Linux on all the cheapest PC's?

> > -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Swango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 01:10:53 GMT

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:39:03 +1300, kiwiunixman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why didn't you read the instructions? Why did you install the server
>option when clearly you needed the desktop setup option? What version of
>Redhat were you using?  Have you tried any other distro (I find SuSE
>better in all respects)? Why didn't you use the customised installation?

I thought server option meant it was going to install server programs
like Apache and Samba and so forth. Unfortunately the minute you
select it your hard drive is gone. No warning at all.

>USB and cordless mice.  Question, how many users out in computer land do
>you believe have a cordless mouse?  very few and far between, Linux is
>built for the mass's, not the minority with the most obscure hardware,
>and if you want support, why don't you contribute to the source code?

You are kidding right?

Obscure hardware is some LaserJet circa 1988 that Linux will probably
work with. Take a look at ANY computer catalog and tell me USB is not
popular.
What rock are you living under?

One other thing, you say Linux is built for the "mass's"? What
"mass's" might this be? I don't see anyone using Linux at all on their
desktop. One last thing, you expect the "mass's" to contribute to the
source code?
You certainly are out of touch with reality.

Tell me, do they have running water where you come from?

>Did you check the HCL USB devices?  It is a very well known fact that
>these are not supported under linux (apart from a few USB mice), my
>advice, wait until 2.4.0 comes out.
Why should I have to check anything?
All of my hardware is non Win specific and works fine under Windows
2000. My printer and scanner and camera work fine on my PowerBook as
well.

>  Are you delusional about the speed
>when using kde?

It's sluggish and looks like crap to boot.

>  I have a Pentium III 550 (Coppermine) w/ 128MB Ram,
>10gig HDD, SB Live! Value, TNT2 32MB AGP and a 40x cdrom, I am running
>KDE2, and it fly's on my hardware configuration.

Maybe you are using a terminal window to contribute to that source
code?

>Have you tried it?  I have, and believe me, after 1 year in the great
>Microsoft think-tank I thought they might of actually come out with
>something a little more revolutionary.

I have not tried it on my system, but I have run it on a similar
system.

Linux has been put back 5 years again.

>Why would it? the only way to screw hardware under any OS is to have ya
>screen refresh rate too high.

Pretty easy to do with Linux as well. Just select custom for monitor
and smell the smoke.

>Same with my copy of Windows 95B (I sold my copy of Winblows 2000 Pro)

Good for you.

>> I can see why Linux is free, because they would never get out of court
>> if they charged people for this tripe.
>No, I paid for my copy of Linux ($NZ189.95), and it is worth every
>penny. Wake up and smell the coffee sonny, I have been using computers
>longer than have been on this earth for, and because one whippersnapper
>like you cannot handle a real OS and then go off and cry at COLA to
>prove some anecdotal fable.  Go back to you sheltered life under the
>window whilst the rest of society moves forward.

I'm not the one who thinks cordless mice and USB are not popular.

You PAID for Linux?

Damm fool...

>kiwiunixman

Swango
"It Don't Mean a Thang if it Ain't Got That Swang"

------------------------------

From: "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Gore & Bush
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 20:10:05 -0500

The thesis is posited that punch ballot machines underepresented Gore voters
since
the use of these machines were predominated used in heavily Democratic
counties in South Florida.

This thesis has been narrowed down to Votomatic punch ballot machines.

>From the figures below, it is clean that Gore had a net vote margin of
226,704 in counties that used Votomatic machines.

>From there the Gore prospects go ALL DOWNHILL.

Why?

In Broward county alone, Gore ATE UP about 209,000 of his 226,000 net
margin, leaving only and advantage of another 17,000 elsewhere.

In other words, any hand recount past the 17,000 difference leaves
un-recounted votes out there favoring Bush.

That means that when you go into the Palm Beach net margin of 115,000 for
Gore, past that 17,000 limit mentioned that you have to draw on, you are
creating equivalent un-hand recounted votes out there that favor Bush.

Only two counties have been hand recounted, Broward and Palm Beach.

So the issue is what Voltomatic un-hand recounted votes are out there, that
by their net margins tend to favor one or the other candidate, given that
they have an equivalent error rate of chad-based undervotes. However, note
that these are overall tendencies that may be skewed by various real world
realities.

There are 13 un-hand recounted counties of the 15 Votomatic counties in
Florida.

See figures below.

Bush has a 156,645 net margin in the 9 Voltomatic counties that went his
way.

Gore has a 58,029 net margin in the 4 such counties, including 39,272 in
Miami-Dade.

That's a total net margin for Bush of 98,616 un-hand recounted votes.

FLORIDA VOTOMATIC VOTE MARGINS
COUNTY  BUSH GORE    NET MARGIN

Palm Beach  152,864 268,945 (116,081)
Broward  177,279 386,518 (209,239)
Miami-Dade  289,492 328,764 (39,272)
Duval  152,098 107,864 44,234
Collier  60,433 29,918 30,515
Hillsborough  180,760 169,557 11,203
Marion  55,141 44,665 10,476
Sarasota  83,100 72,853 10,247
Indian River  28,627 19,767 8,860
Sumter  12,127 9,637 2,490
Highlands  20,206 14,167 6,039
Lee  106,141 73,560 32,581
Osceola  26,212 28,181 (1,969)
Pasco  68,582 69,564 (982)
Pinellas  184,823 200,629 (15,806)
  1,597,885 1,824,589 (226,704)
Sources: Votomatic Counties in Florida-
http://election.dos.state.fl.us/votemeth/cvs.shtml
                 Vote by County-
http://orlandosentinel.com/elections/lost.htm

2 + 2

PS, note also that there is a big difference between optical or OpScan
counties based on whether the scanning is done centrally or at the precinct.
Scanning at the precinct allows problem ballots to be recast by the voter.
The table cited shows a VERY LOW error rate in the optical precinct
counties.

In the optical central counties, there is a possiblility of finding
"overvotes" based on a write in plus a selection for the same candidate.
There is a Bush net margin in ALL14 optical central counties that have not
been hand recounted.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX ROCKS AND WINDOWS SUCKS
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:14:17 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> <snip>
>

> > Actually, this is interesting in that it is the first time in
> > decades that a youth-appeal movement has been organized
> > AGAINST a communist government.
>
> Youths with too much bloody time on their hands.  They should be back
> studying instead of getting into an area they have absolutely no
> knowledge about.  It is very easy for western cultures (such as New
> Zealand and the US) to look at China as a "oppressive state", yet none
> of these so-called do-gooders actually know anything about the Asian
> (esp. Chinese) culture, that is the one reason why the mission in
> Vietnam was a total and utter failure, the lack of understand the
> vietnamese culture.

Vietnam was unwinnable, REGARDLESS of whether the culture was
"understood" or not.

> kiwiunixman

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 01:14:54 GMT

oh, no, the dreaded kill file, noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

kiwiunixman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:15:30 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:03:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
> wrote:
>
> >Actually most of these posts are coming from experience, the vast majority of
> >Linux people have Windows experience.
>
> In that case, the people who keep posting that Windows won't run for
> more than a few days at a time are lying, instead of ignorant.

There are days when I'm lucky if windows even runs for a few HOURS.

DAYS?????  What, are you on fucking CRACK or something?

> --
> Stephen Whitis
> Email replies should go to...
> scw120198 (at) whitis.com
>
> The address in the header is not valid.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Swango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sucks
Subject: Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 01:15:57 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:02:07 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes.  I've never had such problems.  ...always been sharp.
>
>Matrox Millenium (circa 1996), and Riva TNT
>
>Both running at 1600x1200 on a Panasonic E21.

Better tell all of those people running "How To Make Your Fonts
Readable Under Linux" web pages that they can shut them down.

Your probably so blind, from another act, that you couldn't tell one
way or the other.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:15:58 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 18:00:47 GMT, Uncle Fester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >> You linux assholes who
> >> post pure lies like "Windows won't run more than a few days
> >> at a time" are full of shit.  You are sitting there with your head
> >> stuck under the ground, trying to tell people what the world is
> >> like.  Those of us who aren't hiding can look and see that the
> >> world is nothing like you claim.
> >

> >Then you never use your Windows machine much.  Try this:
>
> Bull shit.  More lies.  Why are you opposed to the truth?

The truth is that LoseDOS is a bunch of bullshit.

> --
> Stephen Whitis
> Email replies should go to...
> scw120198 (at) whitis.com
>
> The address in the header is not valid.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:16:27 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:04:27 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Most of use are IT professionals who live daily listening
> >to the pissing and moaning of Windows admins and their
> >constant rat-race of rebooting and re-installing and
> >reformating ...
>
> I'm an IT professional.   Windows isn't as flakey as you guys want
> to pretend.

Tell it to the Microsoft Windows admins every place I've worked
in the last 5 years.

> --
> Stephen Whitis
> Email replies should go to...
> scw120198 (at) whitis.com
>
> The address in the header is not valid.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 01:18:44 GMT

In the past they (university) used Pascal to teach programming, however, I
think they had a new lecturer the year I attended.

kiwiunixman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 01:23:28 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> If someone has root, nothing on the system can be trusted.  We're talking
> about a secure installation where one user can steal someone elses passwords
> just by emulating a Login prompt.  You can't do that in NT without leaving
> very obvious signs.

Actually, you don't even need to be root.  All you have to do is djinn up a little
circuitry between the keyboard port and the motherboard.  The circuit logs all
keystrokes to a box; you come by later, retrieve the box, and dump the keystrokes and
look for passwords.

Anyway, you completely ignored my comment about null sessions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 7 Dec 2000 01:34:35 GMT

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 01:10:53 GMT, Swango wrote:
>On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:39:03 +1300, kiwiunixman
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>I thought server option meant it was going to install server programs
>like Apache and Samba and so forth. Unfortunately the minute you
>select it your hard drive is gone. No warning at all.

This is not true. There's a big red warning.

>>Why would it? the only way to screw hardware under any OS is to have ya
>>screen refresh rate too high.
>
>Pretty easy to do with Linux as well. Just select custom for monitor
>and smell the smoke.

Most modern monitors will shut down if you try to push them too hard.

And XFree tends to choose pretty conservative modelines by default
(it doesn't try to push 90hz at your chosen res.)

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:35:24 +1300

> | Here's a tip in return:  When working with Office 2000, it is so slow
> | it's like your system froze.
>
> And the tip in return to that. If Office 2000 runs so slow that your
> system seems to freeze it's time to get a Pentium.

If only I could give you a clue in return...  Office 2000 runs like a dog
on a Celeron 450 with 128Mb.  And like pure SHIT on a P2-300 with 64Mb.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D.J.)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 01:28:47 GMT

[]I'm an IT professional.   Windows isn't as flakey as you guys want
[]to pretend.

  It certainly isn't as stable as you claim.

JimP.
--
djim55 at tyhe datasync dot com. Disclaimer: Standard.
My Web pages Updated: December 3, 2000:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 7 Dec 2000 01:36:48 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 23:28:12 GMT, tom wrote:

See the font HOWTO, esp the part about Netscape